The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Cesar R M

TWDC are actually interested in seeing their company succeed
Succeed in what aspect?
Lobby to help declaring Mickey and Co (the main group of characters, histories, etc) as "national treasure" and thus then they will never become "free usage" content after the latest copyright extension expires?
or the lobbying to expand the VISA to replace workers?

Cesar R M

Yup at least Disney will be able to buy cheap parts to repair their rides now that Wanda Group is selling copies. This is the problem with doing business in China you eventually compete against your own products. And the CCP will do NOTHING to stop the copies from being sold on World Markets they just laugh at the stupid Americans
This makes me wonder.
What if the Imagineer group will only sell Disney the parts and Disney will be the ones shipping the parts as per requirement (aka the molds and blueprints will not be shared with the chinese)

Cesar R M

Not xenophobic, just an observation on the world's best and brightest intellectual property infringers.
I agree, there are plenty of histories on how Chinese employees and executives that were part of American companies with chinese interests... ended stealing all the designs and starting a new company using the EXACT SAME patented designs.
Then the chinese would protect this new company and harass the owners of the foreign company(even in their own property!).

lazyboy97o

This makes me wonder.
What if the Imagineer group will only sell Disney the parts and Disney will be the ones shipping the parts as per requirement (aka the molds and blueprints will not be shared with the chinese)
Disney is very rarely the ride system manufacturer and isn't doing much in China that is overly unique. They are also still doing business with Dynamic Attractions who has it own flying theater concept. And Intamin who has their own version of the EMV. Disney tends to buy their roller coasters from Vekoma, who got their start by pretty much copying Arrow who designed things for Disney. Universal still hires Oceaneering despite having their own copy of the Spider-Man/Transformers ride system.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Money and politics = nefarious. Especially when they are likely to work to keep the wages and labor rights of hourly employees down.
I'm not into politics at all because I honestly think almost all the politicians are full of crap, but this is the way politics works in our great nation. Money buys votes. They are all on the take. TWDC has its political interests which we talk about all the time here. If they want to get things to fall their way they need to support the politicians who back their way of thinking. Whether it's legalized gambling in Florida or copyright laws or lowering the corporate tax rate. They are restricted form directly donating huge sums of money to the cause so they use PACs and other loopholes. The guys on the other side are doing the exact same thing with their own PACs. It's not evil or illegal or nefarious or whatever word you want to use. It's just politics.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Succeed in what aspect?
Lobby to help declaring Mickey and Co (the main group of characters, histories, etc) as "national treasure" and thus then they will never become "free usage" content after the latest copyright extension expires?
or the lobbying to expand the VISA to replace workers?
I'm not sure exactly which politicians the PAC in question is backing. The article directly mentioned the copyright issues. The only mention of visas and the labor rights of hourly workers came from speculation here.

DDLand

Hmm, more headaches for Disneyland Paris?

China’s Wanda Group Confirms $3.3 Billion Investment In EuropaCity Complex Near Paris

Dalian Wanda Group confirmed today that it will invest $3.3B by 2024 in EuropaCity, a mega-project near Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport that will boast a theme park, attractions, cultural exhibitions, retail shops, outdoor sports venues and restaurants over about 200 acres. It’s Wanda’s biggest-ever single project in Europe, which the company said will create about 14,000 jobs.“We have wanted to develop ourselves in France for a while, and particularly in Paris, as I had told the French President during his visit to China last November,” DWG president Wang Jianlin said in a statement. “EuropaCity allows us to finally reach that objective and we are pleased to collaborate with a famous French stakeholder to develop this ambitious and innovative project. For us, it is the most important project outside of China.”​
It's too soon to say one way or another. I suspect DLP will be in a very different place by 2024. They already appear to be making great progress in their turn around, and we're only just at the beginning. Hopefully by 2024, we'll see Walt Disney Studios Paris on the road to being a worthy second gate and the Parc Disneyland opening some new attractions.

Looking at some of the renders, I can't help but feel this is targeting a somewhat different demographic then DLP too.

We shall see...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This makes me wonder.

Google 'coordinate measuring machine' and '3D Scanner'. You dont need blueprints or molds just possession of an original part even a Cheap CMM can measure parts down to a micron or so.

3D scanner less accurate but much faster

Nubs70

This makes me wonder.
Kind of like the Russian aircraft carrier bought by a Chinese business to repurpose as a floating, themed hotel.

Low and behold, the Chinese are now operating a fully functional aircraft carrier and are building a 2nd.

truecoat

Kind of like the Russian aircraft carrier bought by a Chinese business to repurpose as a floating, themed hotel.

Low and behold, the Chinese are now operating a fully functional aircraft carrier and are building a 2nd.

Half the size of our carriers.

lazyboy97o

Yes, completely ignore the other aircraft carriers actually purchased by the People's Liberation Army, including the one that is now operating as the Liaoning.

VJ

When I first started posting here around last year or so after a long while of lurking, I thought @ford91exploder was kinda the crazy curmudgeon of the forum. Now I know he's still a crazy curmudgeon but he's not all cynic. He cares, just like @WDW1974 and everyone else here. The truth is, if we didn't care we wouldn't be here. We may not agree with Disney's current choices but we want them to do better, which is why we're so critical. We want them to hold themselves to the standards set by Walt that have since fallen by the wayside.

Cesar R M

I'm not sure exactly which politicians the PAC in question is backing. The article directly mentioned the copyright issues. The only mention of visas and the labor rights of hourly workers came from speculation here.
Technically, its in the news everywhere (the Disney lobbying on VISA expansions). Its just wonder if this is tied to "fundraising" as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom