The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK, so then what is the problem? If they made it to the end they made it to the end. Does that do any even tiny bit of harm to the person the finished first or second or whatever a recognized finish is? Seriously, there is so much talk about ego's on this board and then we get this bull about how much of an injustice it is that someone that finished last gets a medal. It just plain shameful especially with the apparently tiered love of what Disney stands for. If it doesn't harm my fragile ego it's ok, otherwise it just shouldn't happen.

The witness I had about it was about 5 years ago. I'm sure they ordered some new ones since then AND the person that got it did finish.

The harm comes in granting the medal to the ones who DID NOT FINISH, Look even the Iditarod has the 'Red Lantern' award for the LAST official finisher of the Iditarod dogsled race.

http://iditarod.com/zuma/red-lantern-award/

Especially at Disney these races encourage people to get fit and run them - these same people would NEVER do a local race as their first race I know it was that way for ME and I'm a long distance cyclist so I'm no stranger to fitness. The accomplishment for the most part is FINISHING your first 5k or Marathon.

Cesar R M

Ok. Lets try this one then.

Lets say they went to the 10th best college in India, The Indian Institute of Technology - Roorkee. World rank 1432. That's the same as going to UTenn Chatt. Which is ranked 332nd in the US.

And, I strongly doubt most of the H1Bs went to the 10th best college in India.

An alma mater I've seen a lot, in my own personal experience, has been University of Mumbai. A fine institution, I take nothing from it...but lets compare. 34th best college in India, 2124 world ranking. That's close to getting a degree from Pittsburg State University. Ranked 478 in the US, and 2133 internationally.

Or, lets have more fun with it, and go slumming in the US university system. DeVry University. Ranked, 875 in the US. 3350 internationally. That is roughly equivalent to going to the Indian Institute of Technology - Ropar, India rank 100, world rank 3340.

My example is very well on point, if you are aware of the political and business climates involved in both the hiring and retention processes, as well as what is said in boardrooms and backrooms when H1B or outsourcing is even considered.

Furthermore, you would support that a university and educational system that is ranked so poorly in comparison to US options, produces vastly more qualified and capable candidates than are available in the US workforce?
I agree partially with your opinions.. because I do not think these scores means much unless you check department per department.

One Institute could produce Gregory House like genius doctors left and right, but they could suck donkey dongs on training ITs, thus plunging their overall scores.
Pretty sure the scores are taken based on ALL the offers, not just the tech side.

But then, how you can compare. They have to pretty much see if the person in question can do it.
Training and education is nothing if the man is a total 'tard.

But also, the point is still the same.. these VISAS are not supposed to be used to "REPLACE". But to ADD on skills that are not normal in the country. If they were using the VISAS as they were supposed to be. The Indian genious IT, should be teaching the American IT's his skills. Not the American one training a Indian IT to be replaced.

Goofyernmost

The harm comes in granting the medal to the ones who DID NOT FINISH, Look even the Iditarod has the 'Red Lantern' award for the LAST official finisher of the Iditarod dogsled race.

http://iditarod.com/zuma/red-lantern-award/

Especially at Disney these races encourage people to get fit and run them - these same people would NEVER do a local race as their first race I know it was that way for ME and I'm a long distance cyclist so I'm no stranger to fitness. The accomplishment for the most part is FINISHING your first 5k or Marathon.
I know it's a waste of time to argue this point so all I am going to say is, if we can't distinguish between the Iditarod and a Disney 5K then why bother. Some people have spent a lifetime of idleness because of possible self imposed problem like what some of obesity is (not all, let's not go that direction). Disney is a place where they can challenge themselves to do something that they haven't been able to do for years. Even if they only make it a mile, that may be an accomplishment that just a year ago would be considered impossible to them. So Disney gives them a rubber medal and to you may mean nothing or, worst case, a travesty, however, to them it is like winning a gold medal in the Olympics. So, is there any reason why this isn't compatible with the jocks of the world? Is it in anyway harmful or take away their accomplishments? If there is no other place on earth where this little victory can be pursued and recognized, shouldn't Disney be the place to do it?

Besides if a person that is capable of running a full or half marathon even be in a 5K for heavens sake? They are still going to win, big whoop for the super runners, but, isn't it more shameful that they even enter a 5K when it is, for them, equal to knowing that the first three letters of the alphabet are A, B and C. or perhaps a champion skier being upset because some beginners are in their way on the bunny sloop. No, I'm sorry you will never convince me that it is a bad thing especially for those that made what seemed to them to be an impossible accomplishment or that it even does anything to the big time runner other then some imagined bruise to their ego.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know it's a waste of time to argue this point so all I am going to say is, if we can't distinguish between the Iditarod and a Disney 5K then why bother. Some people have spent a lifetime of idleness because of possible self imposed problem like what some of obesity is (not all, let's not go that direction). Disney is a place where they can challenge themselves to do something that they haven't been able to do for years. Even if they only make it a mile, that may be an accomplishment that just a year ago would be considered impossible to them. So Disney gives them a rubber medal and to you may mean nothing or, worst case, a travesty, however, to them it is like winning a gold medal in the Olympics. So, is there any reason why this isn't compatible with the jocks of the world? Is it in anyway harmful or take away their accomplishments? If there is no other place on earth where this little victory can be pursued and recognized, shouldn't Disney be the place to do it?

Besides if a person that is capable of running a full or half marathon even be in a 5K for heavens sake? They are still going to win, big whoop for the super runners, but, isn't it more shameful that they even enter a 5K when it is, for them, equal to knowing that the first three letters of the alphabet are A, B and C. or perhaps a champion skier being upset because some beginners are in their way on the bunny sloop. No, I'm sorry you will never convince me that it is a bad thing especially for those that made what seemed to them to be an impossible accomplishment or that it even does anything to the big time runner other then some imagined bruise to their ego.

Dude - whatever you will defend Disney's choices not matter what.

wogwog

Maleficent dragon float takes to the sidewalk.

I was not there so this is second hand from a cast member who was at the MK today 2/26. The Maleficent float missed a turn in Town Square and climbed the sidewalk causing guests to scatter. It took about 10 minutes to move parade ropes and trash cans to get her back in the street. No report of injuries.

It should show up on You Tube or local news soon.

I have no pictures or any more information.

Goofyernmost

Dude - whatever you will defend Disney's choices not matter what.
Bullcrap... that isn't defending Disney. It's defending the persons right to feel important and accomplished. If you cannot see the difference then who cares? Enjoy your self absorbed life! If Disney can't be the one to do that, who will! The whole marathon deal is just to suck more money from everyone's ego and sell hotel rooms. Don't over think it!

Nubs70

Maleficent dragon float takes to the sidewalk.

I was not there so this is second hand from a cast member who was at the MK today 2/26. The Maleficent float missed a turn in Town Square and climbed the sidewalk causing guests to scatter. It took about 10 minutes to move parade ropes and trash cans to get her back in the street. No report of injuries.

It should show up on You Tube or local news soon.

I have no pictures or any more information.
But not a park bench was injured.

Nubs70

We've been very close to taking an offer like that, since we had driven down and built in an extra day before either of us had to be back at work.

So, I'm sure some people do take the offer- otherwise Disney wouldn't be offering it. In fact, I would bet that they got the idea in the first place because of the fairly common incidence of guests going to the desk and tacking on one more day.
But I was scheduled for a 3:15 am departure on DME.

Rodan75

Here's a list of the employees who have contributed to DisneyPAC before the weatherman sent his panhandle email. Prominent figures include; Tom Staggs*, Jay Rasulo, George Kalogridis, Alan Horn*, Kathleen Kennedy*, Kevin Feige*, Louis D'Esposito*, John Skipper*, Bob "Chappie" Chapek*, Mary Niven, Kathy Mangum and Tom Fitzgerald.
* indicates employee gave legal limit of $5000
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgave2.php?cmte=C00197749&cycle=2016
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgave2.php?sort=A&cmte=C00197749&cycle=2016&Page=2

PACs are pretty commonplace now in both private and public companies.

Andrew_Ryan

Ah, Shanghai ... the resort that is being built for all the Chinese (and really no one else, even if a few Lifestylers and a few other insane Spirits, visit) is being pushed that way. Even getting a mention in the ABC Disney commercial last weekend. Again, this is what happens when your partner is the CCP and they are calling the shots. SDL is NOT Disney's resort in Shanghai, it is China's Disney Resort. If you do not understand the difference, then please go have some orange chicken at Panda Express or a Chinese Chicken Salad at The Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday's and then come back here and attempt to debate it.

Is this a bad thing? Does the resort need to be catered to Americans/Europeans?

Honest question.

NearTheEars

OK, so then what is the problem? If they made it to the end they made it to the end. Does that do any even tiny bit of harm to the person the finished first or second or whatever a recognized finish is? Seriously, there is so much talk about ego's on this board and then we get this bull about how much of an injustice it is that someone that finished last gets a medal. It just plain shameful especially with the apparently tiered love of what Disney stands for. If it doesn't harm my fragile ego it's ok, otherwise it just shouldn't happen.
The witness I had about it was about 5 years ago. I'm sure they ordered some new ones since then AND the person that got it did finish.

If you finish up the race in the allotted amount of time, power walking, or running, heck yeah you deserve a medal!
My only issue is staring a race, especially a hall or full marathon, with no intention of ever finishing just to collect a medal. How could you possibly be proud of yourself?

As far as 5Ks go, I think those are fair game. But Marathons should be held to a higher standard.

EDIT: I see you summed up your thoughts pretty well in another post. And I agree with what you said, as long that they have entered at 5K. I that is where the inexperienced runners, or folks just trying to challenge themselves can have some fun.

Last edited:

wogwog

I demand a vote re-count.

"Fortune" Mag Recognizes Disney

Fortune named The Walt Disney Company on its list of "World's Most Admired Companies" for 2016. The Company landed at No. 5 on the "Top 50 Rank" this year, moving up from No. 6 in 2015. Disney is No. 1 on the entertainment industry list and ranked high in Fortune's "Key Attributes of Reputation," which include innovation, social responsibility and global competitiveness.

According to Fortune.com, "The Most Admired list is the definitive report card on corporate reputations." The rankings were conducted in partnership with the Korn Ferry Hay Group, a leading global management consulting firm that has overseen the research for the "World's Most Admired Companies" list since 1997. Executives, directors and analysts were surveyed to form the rankings.

This announcement comes on the heels of Disney being named the World's Most Powerful Brand earlier this month, which recognized the Company for its rich history, original creations and powerful brands that are members of its family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom