The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Spirit, I think you might really enjoy eggnog. It's very tasty with a little nutmeg sprinkled on the top, and very festive for the holiday season. Merry Christmas.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I find it odd that the film studio would back away from "The Princess" thing, at least in their marketing. While the Parks are being flooded with it.

I think it's a shame thing ... no, actually I think it's simply being afraid that their product only appeals to girls and gay fanbois.

They desperately want the 'everyone' demos that most Pixar films garner. They think the word 'princess' is the kiss of death.

You have to realize that blockbuster or not, ''The Snow Queen" has been in active development at Disney since well before Eisner stepped down.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's it @WDW1974 - no christmas card for you now ;)

I've made my fortune by being able to cut through the fog and find the true root issue of things. How dare you give that title to @ParentsOf4

but I saw a quote on FB today that I thought you might enjoy related to the Dis-verse...

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply"

I've come to terms that most people have no interest in understanding and just want fluffy quick stuff and that's why they flock to the sweet smell of scandalous.

bhg469

Are we talking about grocery stores in Buffalo?

(I love my threads!)
We sure did, they were born in Rochester but if you have been to one you would get it... Disney could take several pages out of the wegmans playbook. They are clean, the service impecible and they are constantly on Forbes top companies to work for. No grocery store comes close, especially in Florida.

WDW1974

Original Poster
just returned from a quick holiday weekend in o-town. in lieu of a trip report, here are some brief thoughts:

1) the food at WDW has quickly become the most overrated, overpriced thing about it. while the sprucing up of the california grill is nice and everything, portions are smaller (which is fine by me. it's fine dining after all), though i'm not sure the menu improved. did enjoy the table next to us: hoodies and crocs. nothing says, "i'm here for an upscaling dining experience" like plastic shoes. also had two borderline inedible meals at the rose and crown (part of candlelight dinner package) and the turf club at saratoga springs (which was the worst dining experience i've ever had. not on disney property. EVER).

Smaller portions at the California Grill? Sorry, but I don't think they can get much smaller and at one point that restaurant was my favorite dining location in the entire state of FL!

Hoodies and crocs? That's OK for Denny's, maybe even Red Lobster, but who goes to an upscale restaurant dressed like that? Oh yeah, trash. Any comments @TP2000?

I am VERY surprised by your experiences at Rose and Crown and Turf Club and would like to hear details. They happen to be two locations that I actually still patronize and have never had a bad meal at either. Indeed, for years, I kept Turf club quiet because I felt not only was the food excellent, but it was always quiet and the prices were fair.

2) magic bands worked nicely for our time at the MK. they'd almost be tolerable had disney not spent $2 billion on them. have to say: the worst salesmen for these things are cast members. they hate them and they're quick to tell you that, "they never work." a security guard at saratoga said, after the band scan didn't work for entry, "ya know, you get used to this technology...all i have to do is read your card...with my eyes." yup, totally worth $2 billion!

Yes, CMs almost UNIversally hate them (even some of The Avengers!)

3) spent all of sunday at universal. sorry, disney dudes and dudettes, but if you're insistent that disney is a better value and/or experience, you're wrong. employees are nicer, happier, and more helpful. there's more show value in those two parks than ANY of the disney parks. the attractions are properly maintained and, yes, CLEANER. it's a top notch experience. i sat on the sidelines on UNI for too long. only did one IOA trip for potter in the last 20 years. now, these parks are a must do on my list. there is ZERO reason to go to DHS, and as much as it pains me to say this, EPCOT when you have a far better experience up the road. also, mythos: WIN. i almost fainted when the bill came and no one at the table had to take out a second mortgage for, what ended up being, one of the top dining experiences i've had in the orlando area in the last...decade?

I've said that for a while. It completely crystalized during my July stay at Potofino Bay. Was reinforced during my HHN's focused October trip, which included staying at the Royal Pacific.

UNI has a better product than Disney overall. So does SW Parks.

They win on value, freshness of product, food quality for price (value again), cleanliness, maintenance, quality of workers etc ...

They don't have the Disney MAGIC, which really means the BRAND brainwashing that convinces people that things are so much better at Disney when they simply are not.

4) divorce yourself of brand loyalty. it makes you a better consumer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is there not a dress code at California Grill? I thought this was enforced by having people check-in before they get on the elevator?

Hahahhhahah ... if I had food in my mouth it would be all over the screen now.

That is funny. Disney telling its bread and butter trashy guest that they have to dress up for their $40 chicken ... yeah, you should try stand-up comedy!

WDW1974

Original Poster
"Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics."

Not exactly appropriate dining dress whether enforced or not :rolleyes:

Frankly, that dress code should apply to a freaking McDonald's. It's just common sense (yes, I know very few possess it, not the point!)

Of course, I sat at a Macaroni Grill on Labor Day Weekend where a teen and his 10-year-old sister and parents sat next to us with him wearing a tee that had the phrase Mother-blanker prominently displayed. This in an affluent area as well.

People are so boorish today. I hate (most of) them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Frankly, that dress code should apply to a freaking McDonald's. It's just common sense (yes, I know very few possess it, not the point!)

Of course, I sat at a Macaroni Grill on Labor Day Weekend where a teen and his 10-year-old sister and parents sat next to us with him wearing a tee that had the phrase Mother-blanker prominently displayed. This in an affluent area as well.

People are so boorish today. I hate (most of) them.
In 2011, the "B***ch 1" "B***ch 2" (play off the Thing 1 Thing 2) t shirts were popular, and I saw them on the WDW parks (and Uni) many times.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Agrabah Report:

If you're planning on seeing Aladdin in New York and are expecting a 2 hour version of the DCA show, you will be disapointed. It's not, but I don't think it'll be a dud like Mermaid or Tarzan. Should play well like Poppins if the crowd last night was any indication.

I am actually very much planning on seeing it, hopefully not too long after I return from abroad.

I am glad to hear that it isn't simply a longer DCA show, but I didn't expect it to be. And I loved Poppins. I never saw Mermaid or Tarzan.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Spirited Agrabah Report:

If you're planning on seeing Aladdin in New York and are expecting a 2 hour version of the DCA show, you will be disapointed. It's not, but I don't think it'll be a dud like Mermaid or Tarzan. Should play well like Poppins if the crowd last night was any indication.

Didn't that show just open?? I don't think first viewings should be a solid measure of a shows strength.

asianway

I called him out and other jerky twitter imagineers on Parkscope Podcast. It looks like Dr. Blondie and company made him take his shenanigans down though.
Any idea how the business arrangement works when an Imagineer authors a...book? Considered part of their work product while on the job or are they like an independent author getting a cut of the profits etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom