The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.dreamfinder

I think it's a shame thing ... no, actually I think it's simply being afraid that their product only appeals to girls and gay fanbois.

They desperately want the 'everyone' demos that most Pixar films garner. They think the word 'princess' is the kiss of death.
Speaking of which...
http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/18/frozen-movie-review-a-new-classic-disney-animated-musical/
Elsa is a far more complicated and fascinating character, one whose depths Menzel plumbs. The screenplay, by co-director Jennifer Lee (Chris Buck also directed), pits Anna’s natural, unfettered energy against Elsa’s need to control herself. Where Anna is open, Elsa is ashamed of what’s inside of her, always trying to be the ‘good girl’ for her people. It’s a powerful metaphor for women who don’t quite conform to society’s expectations, who have something in them that is valuable and beautiful but not recognized as such. Elsa fights against her true nature, and it causes her to become an ice queen, and to freeze her very country.

Is Elsa gay? I think there’s certainly a valid queer reading to be found in the film. It isn’t like she has a girlfriend - or any romance at all - but the idea that she was born different (it’s explicitly specified that she was born this way, not cursed) and that her difference makes her not a ‘good girl’ (a phrase repeated) lends itself to that interpretation. If we read Elsa as gay, Anna’s quest to show her that she is loved and accepted becomes all the more profound.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's it @WDW1974 - no christmas card for you now ;)

I've made my fortune by being able to cut through the fog and find the true root issue of things. How dare you give that title to @ParentsOf4

but I saw a quote on FB today that I thought you might enjoy related to the Dis-verse...

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply"

I've come to terms that most people have no interest in understanding and just want fluffy quick stuff and that's why they flock to the sweet smell of scandalous.

It's OK. I know I have others here who will be sending me cards (and you really don't have to, but I appreciate that you are and am sorry I didn't say so last night!)

And I have to be honest, @ParentsOf4 would be the guy I'd want to work with ... you'd be the guy I hired to handle IT problems and be straight about them. Happy?

I do like that quote. And it absolutely is on full display in the fan community (and various threads here).

It still astounds me that folks accuse me of hating WDW or Disney.

Animaniac93-98

I am actually very much planning on seeing it, hopefully not too long after I return from abroad.

I am glad to hear that it isn't simply a longer DCA show, but I didn't expect it to be. And I loved Poppins. I never saw Mermaid or Tarzan.

Hopefully you'll get to see Freeman as Jafar. He was a hoot! As was the genie.

Maybe they'll have those two layer magic carpet/lamp cookies, that was the best part! (no, I don't have a picture of it on Instagram).

Didn't that show just open?? I don't think first viewings should be a solid measure of a shows strength.

Why not? The show won't change much between now and when it opens on Broadway in February.

And if everyone's wondering how this all relates to WDW, there was a full page ad for a Disney-only travel agency elsewhere in Ontario on the inside cover of the program. ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
We sure did, they were born in Rochester but if you have been to one you would get it... Disney could take several pages out of the wegmans playbook. They are clean, the service impecible and they are constantly on Forbes top companies to work for. No grocery store comes close, especially in Florida.

Never been to one. And never been to Rochester or Buffalo either. I'll take Paris, Tokyo or Lake Como!

That said, I think Publix is quality and a pretty consistent place to shop for groceries. I want to shop Whole Foods, but I don't want to pay their prices. Those are basically the options here unless you buy groceries at Target (I do sometimes) or Walmart (never!) ... As a child, we had so many chains here ... everything from A&P to Grand Union to Pantry Pride to Winn-Dixie (only the last one still exists here and with about 85% smaller market share than say 25 years ago).

I miss Bristol Farms from my days living in SoCal. Nothing anywhere beat them.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's the complete opposite here. Growing up we had two options, but now there are more to choose from than I can shop at :) I'm a fan of Aldi, Trader Joes, I like Targets grocery section (side note, a super target opened up attached to the mall with the disney store. Double whammy! I love it. ) and occasionally shop at Whole Foods. They're just so expensive.

Never been to a Publix before but have heard great things about them.

Care to share anymore details about your faux one percent vacay? I'm rather excited for you. I just wish you were the photo posting type ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I called him out and other jerky twitter imagineers on Parkscope Podcast. It looks like Dr. Blondie and company made him take his shenanigans down though.

So you're a podcaster now too? Does anyone not have one?

Glad you called him out and if he took down that tweet you can be sure he was pushed into by folks like Dr. Blondie.

I'd just love it if one of them had the balls (and Dr. Blondie certainly seems to have the largest based on some of her career decisions!) to join a fan site, even if it's not the most MAGICal one. None of them want to actually engage the fan community.

Recently as I spoke with a VP of a company that isn't Disney for a few hours due to a very small issue I had, I realized just how far Disney had fallen in guest service/relations/recovery. And the mockery they make of social media (just BRAND propaganda) is the nail in the coffin. Nothing like having a CM lie to your face while telling you to 'have a MAGICal day!'

Anyway, it would be nice if they actually spoke here instead of just read ... and, yes, I know for a FACT that the CPSMC reads this forum religiously!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Never been to one. And never been to Rochester or Buffalo either. I'll take Paris, Tokyo or Lake Como!

That said, I think Publix is quality and a pretty consistent place to shop for groceries. I want to shop Whole Foods, but I don't want to pay their prices. Those are basically the options here unless you buy groceries at Target (I do sometimes) or Walmart (never!) ... As a child, we had so many chains here ... everything from A&P to Grand Union to Pantry Pride to Winn-Dixie (only the last one still exists here and with about 85% smaller market share than say 25 years ago).

Albertson's pulling out of SoFla was a sad day. I remember the liquidation sale.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any idea how the business arrangement works when an Imagineer authors a...book? Considered part of their work product while on the job or are they like an independent author getting a cut of the profits etc?

Yes. Disney owns them and all of the work product in its entirety. As far as I know, they get a flat fee. No cut of the profits.

That may be different with some of the higher profile people (like a Jeff Kurtti) ... but Alex Wright or Jason Grandt or Tim O'Day are getting paid a fee upfront (the latter being a PR guy not an Imagineer).

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd agree. And, actually, now that I think about it, it was the 2012 trips where these shirts (there were others that were even more offensive, for adults and children) were popular and I saw them all over on guests.

See, if I were to view that, I'd complain and they'd wind up with free MAGICal WDW vacations ...

Yensid1974

Well Spirit, hopefully your faux one percenter vacation will recharge those MAGICal batteries of yours. Seriously though, those of us out here in the trenches at WDW look forward to your return. I will continue taking trips into the Jungle and look forward to any news of some SPIRITed change. Thanks again for what you do here, and please continue on. There are still a lot of CM's, like myself, who want things to be as they SHOULD be and not as they are. There are times I think that there may not be hope, but there are glimmers of change here and there and having someone like yourself keep pushing the buttons of those in the way of the change is keeping me going until someday the Disney company returns to what some of us know it can be.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
"In contrast to the blockbuster mentality that prevailed at most of the other major studios, we evolved the concept of hitting for singles and doubles. That meant making movies for modest budgets based on strong ideas that we developed ourselves." - Michael Eisner

"I also reiterated the tenets of smart moviemaking and the kinds of mistakes it is all too easy to make: 'An apparently no-risk deal is never a valid reason to produce a mediocre movie. A low budget can never excuse deficiencies in a script. Not even the greatest screenwriter or actor or director can be counted on to save a film that lacks a strong underlying concept. And we should generally resist making expensive overall deals with box office stars and top directors, because we can attract them later with strong material.'" - Michael Eisner

How did Bob stray so much from Michael's philosophies? Why does everyone hate Michael so much? He saught fiscal constraint but still demanded and achieved the highest quality. Take this next quote on Disneyland... I think you'll all like it:

"When Jane and I moved to California, we began taking our kids to Disneyland, and I was impressed by the enormous attention to quality and detail throughout the park. I still knew relatively little about Walt himself, who had died in 1966, but I admired his creativity, commitment to excellence, and fierce independence from other Hollywood studios." - Michael Eisner

He wrote this in his book and to put them in context this is referring to his time before Disney and with Paramount. The man is a creative and Frank Wells was the business mind, though Michael learned to become a great business mind as well. When I finish his book, I want to write him a letter.

Fun fact: before coming to Disney, a few years earlier Eisner sought and almost got the job as head of the parks and studios. The parks fascinated him, as did Disney's family value movies.

I had to type those quotes from the book... I literally marked the pages when I saw things worth posting here. There are more but I will share them from time to time.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Never had eggnog? I've been drinking half a cup of eggnog every night for the past three weeks. As princess, @WDW1974 I command you to have at least one taste of Target-brand eggnog before the holiday season ends.

Enjoy your vacation! I'm sure it will be amazing, and I'm praying someone treats you to dinner, or drinks, or, if Santa is really happy, both!

I'm (hopefully) heading east to the Empire State this winter. Right now, I'm complaining about the freezing fifty-five degree weather here in Los Angeles, and I'm about to go to New York for Christmas, with California winter clothes. Pray for me. Hopefully I'll get to see my buddy, @Cosmic Commando!

flynnibus

Premium Member
That said, I think Publix is quality and a pretty consistent place to shop for groceries.

Publix is food lion in comparison to Wegmans. They offer botique like services and a great product... yet are cheaper than Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter, or superfresh. And this is coming from an old grocery guy :)

Ours initially was a PITA because they can be swarmed worse than ChicFilas.. but once you know where to go and what to avoid.. I drive an extra 15mins out of my way to shop there vs our neighborhood stores.

bhg469

And I say with 100% honesty that whole foods is more like Walmart when compared to wegmans. They are in Boston and DC now as well and they get lines when they do a grand opening. These stores are classy, well classier than a grocery store needs to be, and I don't shop anywhere else because of it.

As far as traveling I do my fair share for work, mostly us and Canada, hopefully more international soon but my line of work usually only involves other countries for huge events like the olympics. Fingers crossed for free trips to Rio. I'll be sure to carry a banner everywhere and be obnoxious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom