The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So realistically speaking, @marni1971 , @WDW1974 , @GLaDOS and @Lee (and of course, any of you lovely folks who would like to chime in) what do you think we can expect, going forward, from WDW at this point?

If the 'average' wait time for a guest during say, the second quarter peak season, is/was currently at 20 minutes per ride (give or take) without the use of FP, what should we REALLY expect with FP+? Double that to 40 minutes, again, give/take a few minutes? How will this affect the overall "tour time" of the parks?

If people who currently factor in a 5 day vacation (figure one park per day plus an extra 'magic' day at, ehhh, Magic Kingdom. Why not.) tour time for the parks, should they expect to plan out for 8-10 days for the same amount of experiences on rides/meet n greets/etc?

Also, when are the next price increases, because this is also a factor in planning out a trip and touring schedule. Any projections as to how much tickets/room rates will raise come 2014?

Also, are EMH being cut entirely, or just twindled down to nothing until they're gone?

Edit to ask: Is there any true "off peak" season at Disneyland because, in all seriousness, I'd rather go 'back home' to that park than WDW at this point.
I'm not one of the informed or wise gentlemen that you summoned with your post, but I consider myself a "lovely folk" at least so here's my 2 cents:

The answer depends on when you go, how many and which rides you intend to do and how much you used the FP system in the past. Based on my recent experience from the week before Thanksgiving there was not a noticeable impact to the stanby lines. We rode HM with no wait at all in mid-afternoon. We walked up and right in the front door. Pirates was the same. Virtually no wait. I probably would not have used FP regular more than 4 or 5 times my entire trip so no impact. We had no problem touring the parks in the same way we always have. No need for extra days. It sounds from @ParentsOf4 posts that the experience was quite different during the crowded Thanksgiving week.

I think the people most impacted will be those who used fastpass runners and tried to maximize the number of FPs they could accumulate. The system will hinder their ability to ride popular rides like TSMM, TT and Soarin multiple times using multiple FPs. If you were using 7 to 10 FPs in a day at the parks being limited to just 3 reservations and only 1 "tier 1" ride a day is going to be a big change. The next biggest impact will be on those who don't or can't book reservations in advance. As PO4 said, FP reservations are becoming like ADRs. If you can't or won't play the game you will wait in longer lines.

With this system the ride capacity is not decreasing and the FP capacity is not decreasing and in a lot of cases is probably increasing. FP reservations for top attractions will be more equally distributed due to the limitation of 1 reservation per ride per day. People who may have gotten 2 or 3 FPs to the same ride in a day won't be doing that any more. It opens up spots for someone who wouldn't have gotten a FP at all. The more informed guests who knew how the system worked and knew how to game it will be brought down to a more even playing field with the average tourist or first time visitor (assuming the tourist crowd figures out how the system works and how to actually book in advance).

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
More interesting reading on why Disney's marketing for Frozen didn't tell the whole (or most) of the story(line):

http://variety.com/2013/film/column...campaign-doesnt-do-frozen-justice-1200908996/

"The Snow Queen" would have been the title if it wasn't for these branding and marketing execs running the show. The idea makes sense though and seemingly it works. I can't see the Princess characters becoming a new age Cinderella though, partly because the title of the movie is not universally attributable to the star princess(es).

DisneyFan 2000

More interesting reading on why Disney's marketing for Frozen didn't tell the whole (or most) of the story(line):

http://variety.com/2013/film/column...campaign-doesnt-do-frozen-justice-1200908996/
Ridiculous. I'll hand it to 'em though, Frozen as a title is much more representative of the story than Tangled was. However, the trailers (minus the final one) have been abysmal and nearly kept me, Disney's core audience (aka the devoted fan) from seeing it. Lucky reviews started pouring in early on, glowing with praise and mentioning the music - Something the trailers decided was not worth boasting. Disney got it lucky this time around. They better not repeat their mistakes next time and start showing some pride in their own work. Marvel is nothing to sneeze about, nor is Star Wars, but I truly root for Disney when the home-runs come from within much like it did with Frozen.

Zweiland

Goofyernmost

I find it odd that the film studio would back away from "The Princess" thing, at least in their marketing. While the Parks are being flooded with it.
Could be they are running out of room for a meet and great without knocking out their most popular attractions? I can see a SSE redo. They place show scenes along the ride all dealing with "Frozen" and in the end it empties out into the huge meet and greet room with compartmentalized areas for each character. They should have thought of that by now.

bhg469

Hubby and I just got back from a 3-day cross-border Christmas shopping getaway - sans kids.
As usual, we took in a matinee. Last trip in July, we saw Despicable Me 2 and Reds 2. We enjoyed both, with the edge going to DM2.

This trip, we saw Frozen. I liked it. Quite a bit. Nowhere near as much as DM2 (which was my fave film this year), but certainly moreso than Monsters University. Hubby, however, hated it.

Our kids are older (17 1/2 and almost 19), so he's well out of the Disney musical groove. Every time the music started to herald another song, he mimed a gun to his forehead, mouth, or under his chin.
I, on the other hand didn't mind the songs. Liked "For the First Time in Forever" quite a bit, and loved "Let it Go", which may be my new all-time favourite Disney song.
I will be taking my niece and nephew next Tuesday (cheap night). Hubby has opted out; although I don't recall inviting him after yesterday's antics.

Hopefully no spoilers were revealed @Soarin' Over Pgh. I didn't even mention the snowman.
We have lots of you border jumpers iin WNY! I hope you're not one of the northerners that leave their old shoes and clothes in the parking lot when you leave :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We have lots of you border jumpers iin WNY! I hope you're not one of the northerners that leave their old shoes and clothes in the parking lot when you leave :)
Nope, we stay for 48 hrs, so we can each claim our $800 exemption.

We stay at a hotel (the original Salvatore's), dine out for at least 4 meals, catch a couple of movies, and spend $1000's (over 3 trips) each year.

We only ever fly out of Buffalo for our annual WDW trip.

I spend more time at Walden Galleria and Eastern Hills Mall than I do at my own local mall.

I'd like to think I am at least partly responsible for helping the Buffalo economy to recover.

Edit to add - Wegmans rocks!!

bhg469

Nope, we stay for 48 hrs, so we can each claim our $800 exemption.

We stay at a hotel (the original Salvatore's), dine out for at least 4 meals, catch a couple of movies, and spend $1000's (over 3 trips) each year.

We only ever fly out of Buffalo for our annual WDW trip.

I spend more time at Walden Galleria and Eastern Hills Mall than I do at my own local mall.

I'd like to think I am at least partly responsible for helping the Buffalo economy to recover.

Edit to add - Wegmans rocks!!

I live pretty close to the Walden galleria, half of my family lives in fort Erie so I understand the importance of our shopping for you folks to save some cash. And as far as wegmans goes... You said it! Whenever I travel for work I stop at the store to pick up some food and water, no one is close. Tried whole foods.. It doesn't hold a candle to wegmans. And I don't know how many wegmans you've been to but some are better than others. The one near the galleria is just average and the ones in hamburg and Amherst are really really something. Disney could learn a lot by visiting those grocery stores... Yes I said it!

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm glad they didn't tell it all. Even those folks who follow Disney (like me) and enjoy the traditional story lines (like me) were able to go into the theater and be surprised by the movie's plot twists and turns. The music, though serviceable, was secondary to everything else- especially the excellent story.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Could be they are running out of room for a meet and great without knocking out their most popular attractions? I can see a SSE redo. They place show scenes along the ride all dealing with "Frozen" and in the end it empties out into the huge meet and greet room with compartmentalized areas for each character. They should have thought of that by now.

No way. It'll definitely empty into a gift shop chuck full of merchandise at kids eye levels (the most expensive, of course) and then maybe a M&G off to the side. Which would also empty into another gift shop. And then you could FP+ another M&G and buy DVC at a convenient DVC booth that you gotta go past that will dump into another gift shop. They can turn Duffy into Duffy the DVC Bear. (I'M TRADEMARKING IT SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT)

In fact, why isn't all of WS a gift shop/M&G ad nauseum? It's close to it already. Just finish the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom