The Sorcerer's Hat - Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

I think the widely agreed upon opinion is that the hat itself is fine, it's placement is poor. However, I'm not sure what would be an ideal placement. It's current location is similar to the other Disney World symbols, visible front and center. If you were to move it to say, the animation courtyard (the most logical location), it wouldn't be the weenie that it is now.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think the widely agreed upon opinion is that the hat itself is fine, it's placement is poor. However, I'm not sure what would be an ideal placement. It's current location is similar to the other Disney World symbols, visible front and center. If you were to move it to say, the animation courtyard (the most logical location), it wouldn't be the weenie that it is now.

There is a large courtyard outside the DHS entrance, where the trams, buses, and boats unload into. I'm pretty sure the area is big enough to accomodate the hat. It could be the weenie of the park, not block the theater, and would look far less silly in that location. Put a merchandise shop under it or do the security screen under it.

surfsupdon

I like the hat, but it's placement is terrible. The Chinese Theater added such a neat old world Hollywood vibe to the Studios. That vibe gets lessened year after year as the park seems to change its direction.

Keep the hat, but move it. Throw it in the backlot somewhere, or clear a spot out in Animation Courtyard for it. It doesn't belong blocking the Theater.

Interesting point, raven.

Scooter

Hats not going anywhere...unfounded rumor.

That being said, I think they should build a giant hat rack and hang the hat on it.

I think that the Hat would fit just fine at the park enterance and then you can still have the hat as the second Icon and see the Chinese Theater!:sohappy:

Magicot

I don't think the hat was originally supposed to be permanent, was it? Since it was built for the 100 years celebration back in '01, it always gave off a cheap vibe to me. I mean think of it this way: at MK we have the iconic castle, at Epcot, we have the futuristic and impressive SSE, and at AK we have the tree of life which is such a creative sculptural icon. And then at DHS we have the hard plastic blue hat with glitter mickey ear swirls and a 2-D mickey glove. :brick: Even if it was moved to somewhere else in the park, it still flounders as a respectable park icon because of the level of craft that went into it. DHS deserves better.

kag1984

It sounds like everybody agrees that the hat in it's current location is a bit awkward and ruins the theming of the area. I agree.

I do like the hat though, but think it would be better in the animation courtyard or on the backlot... just not where it is.

If the hat was put there to block the replica of Mann's Chinese Theater why don't they just change the facade of the building. It hasn't been seen in pictures in years and I personally wouldn't be sad to see it go. They could replace the facade with another theater... maybe Disney's theater, but I think I read somewhere that they did put it up for sale recently. Or get Kodak to sponsor the attraction and replicate the front of the Kodak theater. I think either of those would be appropriate for the placement in the park, and would be much better alternatives to a "movie studio" rather than the hat.

What do you all think about a different icon at the end of the street? What icon would you want?

AllStarGuard

I think the hat was something iconic created to plug the Disney Photopass program. They needed something new to put in the background so that when you get a picture with Mickey in your hands there is a big hat in there to remind you of what park you were in. LOL :shrug:

sweetpee_1993

I know that the folks at WDI have 2 things they would love to get rid of at Walt Disney World the "Leave a Legacy" stones and the Hat. So it is something they have wanted to do, but when it does happen....who knows?

When we did our lunch w/an Imagineer back in May we discussed the decision processes and things within WDI. I think we were asking where do things originate. Who dreams stuff up. How do the ideas make it from just a whim to an addition to a park. We went thru the info about Blue Sky, etc. But then he was explaining to us how not everything you see in the parks originated as ideas that came from WDI. The Imagineers don't like a lot of things that get brought to them to make happen, but their job is to create what they are told to so they do it. His example was 'The Hat'. He stated that 'The Hat' came from marketing, not WDI. Marketing wanted a more prominent weenie. He told us that he didn't know anyone in WDI that liked 'The Hat' because it disrupted the story when you enter DHS. It just doesn't fit. I can't tell you how disgusted he acted as he told us all about this. He said that he and his fellow Imagineers liked to play with the stories you see around you in the parks and don't like when they are forced to do things that they know are the complete opposite of what belongs within a scene. In this same conversation he mentioned his dislike for the placement and design of the Swan and Dolphin hotels. I hadn't ever noticed but apparently you can see the tops of these buildings from within World Showcase which disrupts the skyline. I did mention to him that there are many who don't like the LaL walls because of their intrusion in the entry of Epcot. He was interested by this. I told him how they were referred to as 'tombstones'. He got a good laugh out of that.

Do I think 'The Hat' is going anywhere anytime soon? NOpe. Marketing wants their Weenie and the Earful Tower wasn't enough. Like others, I don't dislike the structure but I think the placement is terrible. I like the idea of parking it out in the front entrance of the park. THat way you can walk past it and not have the disruption in story as you make your way into DHS.

PaisleyMF

Not sure where you are getting your info, but the Grauman's Chinese Theatre is owned by the Mann Theater chain, they have nothing to do with Warner Brothers...

To answer your question:
(and I know is not a reliable source but is from Wikipedia)
wikipedia said:
From 1973 through 2001, the theatre was known as Mann's Chinese Theatre, owing to its acquisition by Mann Theatres in 1973. In the wake of Mann's bankruptcy, the theatre, along with the other Mann properties, was sold in 2000 to a partnership comprising Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, who also acquired the Mann brand name. In 2002 the original name was restored to the cinema palace, although the other theatres in the attached Hollywood and Highland mall retain and continue to operate under the name Mann's Chinese 6 Theatre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman's_Chinese_Theatre

Hot4Hudgens

I love the hat! I also didn't have a problem with the wand, but I can understand why there was so much hate for it. The one thing I don't care for about the hat is that it's just BLAH compared to the 3 other parks and their ''icons'' AK's tree is an attraction, as is Epcot's famous ball. The castle in MK is classic, no matter what's in it, above it, or under it. It would be nice if the hat were a character spot or something along those lines rather than just another shopping area. Where CAN'T you find one of those?

Unplugged

IMHO, I like the hat. Why? Well, the "Earfel" Tower made sense when DHS was a working studio, though it was terrible as a central icon as it was neither central, nor an easily spotted icon. The Chinese Theater made sense in the early days as well as the feel was more that of SoCal then FL. However, I've been to the real theater and I can say the area it's in is nothing I would want to revisit. The theater is not a good icon for the park as it's not Disney owned/created, not a "greater than life" icon like the other 3 parks have, and does not command the same presence either. I understand what marketing is after, they just went about it the wrong way.

I agree with those that think it should be kept but moved. I personally would like to see the "road" to pixar place curved and opening onto the square just to the side of the theater. That is, NOT run it all the way along Little Mermaid to behind the old MGM Gate. I think the old MGM gate should be torn down and the hat (or a smaller version of it) should be placed as a new grand entry to the Animation courtyard as opposed to the hat being placed in it. This would then create the feel of 2 "lands" within the park. I know a few have talked in the past that Disney wants the new DHS long term vision to be more "land" based so this seems to parallel that thought.

As far as a new icon, I don't know. I think it should go with the story and not marketing. I feel WDI should be able to turn their creativity loose on it and suprise us with something appropriate and styled for the new direction. (And no GIANT pixar bouncing lamps please.) Move the hat, get rid of the Chinese Theater, and give us something new that we can truly be mesmerized by. Perhaps all part of a GMR complete update or replacement.

devoy1701

I think the Earful Tower is a horrible park icon. it can really only be seen from the road and on the backlot tour. You could never get picture of yourself infront of it like you can with the other park icons.

The Hat is alot better. Even better than the Chinese Theater. IMO the Chinese Theater is just not grand enough or tall enough to be a good park weanie. I do not like the pin station under the hat (it gets VERY hot in there). but the hat is a pretty nice addition and looks great when lit at night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom