Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to say😂

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJ’s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parent’s wedding😂)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngest’s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told “yes, the microwave is available”. I still doubted that so I PM’d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We noticed the lack of PP photographers at opening and deduced it was to prevent crowds from gathering on Main Street during the morning “rush.”

On our last morning I noticed a PP CM discreetly placed off to the side in the garden area. I asked if he was taking pics with the castle in the background. He was. Not the best position, but better than nothing.

7712C080-6329-4E72-B76D-B589B37F4083.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
We noticed the lack of PP photographers at opening and deduced it was to prevent crowds from gathering on Main Street during the morning “rush.”

On our last morning I noticed a PP CM discreetly placed off to the side in the garden area. I asked if he was taking pics with the castle in the background. He was. Not the best position, but better than nothing.

View attachment 495883
I deduced the same thing. And I also found that guy (not the best angle but he wasnt Callan so...😂)

Swissmiss

Premium Member

View attachment 495883

Maybe they sent them all to DLP?! The only time there have been PP photographers at DLP is during the half marathon weekend ... until this July. They were at various places around the parks and set up specifically for magic shots.

cgersic

"The gold is elegant, the gray of the bricks serves the purpose but jeez louise the body of the castle is terrible. It has been described as pink but it really isnt. It is more of a warm muted orange with a touch of pink. Think desert house in Arizona, not a castle for a princess. The purple has a lot of blue in it and next to the warmth of the clay color it just doesnt go. I had a friend who used to say “all colors go together. Just look at nature.” I think even she would agree this is bad. So very bad. It is like 4 kids were told “pick a color” and then Disney went with those four colors regardless of if they complimented one another."

Thank you for this!!! I was calling it salmon. There's no pink. It's ugly :hungover:

Mainahman

Saturday August 29, 2020

One last note from the night before, we needed an extra blanket and shampoo and conditioner (since they only replenish every other day). The items were brought quickly and sealed in bags.

Magic Kingdom day!!!!
I had told/warned the kids we were going to stop for castle photos and I did not want any grief - looking at you Dre!!!

I woke, showered then started microwaving breakfasts and making beds while everyone else showered and dressed.
I took my breakfast out to the patio. I really dont like the first floor. I feel so exposed.

View attachment 495755

Saratoga is so pretty.
View attachment 495756

We headed to the bus stop about 8:30.
K had gotten AJ hooked on some new game where you work in a bakery or something? So they were busy setting up their “stores” for the day.
View attachment 495757
View attachment 495758
I had bought AJ the grumpy shirt but I think I got it for the wrong kid!
View attachment 495759
It was still early and starting to heat up. I had my trust Wawa mask (thanks for the tip @fractal ).
View attachment 495760

Finally here! After six long, boring months, I was finally back in the MK!

But what the heck are these?
View attachment 495761
It’s 2020. What do you think they are?
MASK VENDING MACHINES.

We tapped in, “ok, lets find a PP photographer and get our picture in front if the tr.....”
“Oh, there arent any. Alright, we will get some in front of the castle. I am dying to see the new paint job. It looks pretty good in the pictures I have seen.”

But first❤
View attachment 495762
View attachment 495765

“Ummmm, where are the photopass photographers??? And why is the castle so friggin’ ugly??? CURSE YOU 2020!!!”
View attachment 495766
And, it was crowded. Not like normal crowded but compare this mainstreet to TR’s from late July and early August. It was a Saturday so it was probably a lot of AP’s.

And now for my castle opinion.
I love the purple! Purple is the color of royalty and it pops against a blue (or gray) sky beautifully. The gold is elegant, the gray of the bricks serves the purpose but jeez louise the body of the castle is terrible. It has been described as pink but it really isnt. It is more of a warm muted orange with a touch of pink. Think desert house in Arizona, not a castle for a princess. The purple has a lot of blue in it and next to the warmth of the clay color it just doesnt go. I had a friend who used to say “all colors go together. Just look at nature.” I think even she would agree this is bad. So very bad. It is like 4 kids were told “pick a color” and then Disney went with those four colors regardless of if they complimented one another.

And there weren’t any PP photographers!!!!
We had the same problem finding PP photographers. We did find some in the garden like others, and then eventually on main street later in the day on our second MK day that i have yet to post in my trip report, but will get there ha!

Rista1313

How did you let me go 7 days without calling me out for not being here?

Glad you didn't have to squeeze into the POP room.. that would have been a tight fit!

I wonder what did happen to the leftovers?

And now my mask collection feels inadequate because I don't have a WaWa mask! I need one! But no WaWa's here in Michigan.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Maybe they sent them all to DLP?! The only time there have been PP photographers at DLP is during the half marathon weekend ... until this July. They were at various places around the parks and set up specifically for magic shots.

Lucky PP photographers🗼

Thank you for this!!! I was calling it salmon. There's no pink. It's ugly :hungover:
It is really bad. So bad. Cindy must be furious!

We had the same problem finding PP photographers. We did find some in the garden like others, and then eventually on main street later in the day on our second MK day that i have yet to post in my trip report, but will get there ha!
I have seen TR with the castle pix and was really pumped. It was kinda K’s first time. Kinda? you ask? She was there in February with cheerleading but did not get to experience much (except first place..yay!) So no castle photo was a huge bummer. You get the first timer thing.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
How did you let me go 7 days without calling me out for not being here?

Glad you didn't have to squeeze into the POP room.. that would have been a tight fit!

I wonder what did happen to the leftovers?

And now my mask collection feels inadequate because I don't have a WaWa mask! I need one! But no WaWa's here in Michigan.

Honestly I thought you were on vacay. Your TR was there and then poof. But I see you tagged me and when work slows down I will get to it. Plus, today is the first day of school so lots of headaches to deal with there!

Wawa mask 👍👍

Mainahman

Lucky PP photographers🗼

It is really bad. So bad. Cindy must be furious!

I have seen TR with the castle pix and was really pumped. It was kinda K’s first time. Kinda? you ask? She was there in February with cheerleading but did not get to experience much (except first place..yay!) So no castle photo was a huge bummer. You get the first timer thing.
I sure do! Get ready! I have castle photos to post to the TR, once i get to the last day which was a second MK day, where we might of gone Photo Crazy.... got some great AK ones too, thats next up!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29, 2020 cont.

We stopped to take our own castle pixs
CD47C649-B81B-4EE8-88D0-ED932CBC617F.jpeg

DAB8E7C9-6EA8-472C-9EE5-703FC5AFCF75.jpeg

E7F64160-7BA4-41DD-986C-FF78C5854FBA.jpeg

Then we were on our way. I never noticed these lights before....for castle projections etc???
5133A3A9-EA22-4B37-B9F3-E8B952D72FF5.jpeg

A CM, who was not around, had just finished this. The kids didnt believe me when I told them who did it and how.
2E0B5341-68BE-4F7E-BA66-9D0DDB5F8CD8.jpeg

First stop...
93F439F2-34D5-4863-A9DC-42EBE128379F.jpeg

1C3FCE0C-14E7-45DE-B588-5BE5E4E9D72E.jpeg

No wait!
17E354E7-2D9A-4CF3-9A84-F0E53118682A.jpeg

2F8A6AD5-92F1-4C2A-AA51-2920B4E784B7.jpeg

Doesnt Dre look so happy???

After Big Thunder we headed...
566FE9AC-298A-41F1-8CD1-D7D887F4C86B.jpeg

The boys were whining they didnt want to get wet and I explained how my sources 😉 said the canons are off and people are not getting soaked. We waited about 5 minutes and were very close to loading and it went down😞. We bailed promising to come back later. We never did. Double😞😞

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29, 2020 cont

Aaah!!!! I forgot, on our walk to Big Thunder we ran into a PP photographer hanging out watching the ducks swim down in the moat below. I asked him if he could take our picture.
EC2925DC-0E6C-48CA-BEA3-C5BCA4642CD7.jpeg

Why so dark? Dude? You awake? Want me to get my buddy Fractal to give you some pointers?

F2BF7906-9449-42B0-A268-5BC9494C0F05.jpeg

OK. That is better.

Back to where we were, remember this?
3B9979BA-3BD3-47CB-BAE7-805C27D0722C.jpeg

No drop for us...☹

We left the Splash Mountain line, which was not easy to do and keep physically distanced, and headed straight for the popcorn cart. Now, some of you may get your knickers in a twist but sorry not sorry. See, I had the idea to restart the popcorn bucket handoff. I meant to give it to True Value the day before but totally forgot it back in the room.

This is not actually Bucky, I am not sure where he is, @Loco_driver perhaps? Anyhow, this is the Star Wars bucket I bought in February. I texted @riverside when she was in wdw to see if they were still selling them before I packed it. Like I said, I forgot to give it to @Tuvalu and the more I thought about it the more I realized passing around a popcorn bucket in the middle of covid 19 is probably not a great idea. But I lugged it from New York so I was going to use it.
AFA78F81-0F5A-41DC-9993-2E4A4BD3595A.jpeg

AJ with guns and popcorn on line for Pirates.
It was the only time I filled it so those of you with twisted knickers can chill a bit.

After Pirates the kids got some ice cream and we sat and snacked. I noticed the trash cans were all open, all the time. I guess so the guests do not have to touch them. Great idea. I wonder if this was a day one idea or if it dawned on them after they opened.
89A210A5-308A-4C0E-9C1C-B73AF50C226E.jpeg

A word here about snacking/eating in the parks. I was talking to my good friend @Billy6
the other day and I told him snacking/eating at WDW is hard these days. Billy asked why and I told him because you cant just meander and eat. No eating on lines or heading from one attraction to the other. I mentioned the rule states you have to be stationary. Billy cracks me up! He asked if I could do the basketball pivot on one foot thing😂😂😂
Which of course led to this:
giphy.gif

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Wait, what were we talking about?

After our snack we were going to go on Jungle Cruise but I wanted to ride Aladdins Carpets as I had not ridden them in a million years. The kids fought me but relented. However, no way were they letting me take a picture!
After the carpets JC was a 40 min wait. Ooops. We headed to The Haunted Mansion instead.
The line went all the way down here!
BC34C270-DD21-4137-8E64-73C35B5DD44A.jpeg

Just to physically distance not because it was long-it wasnt. Walking down toward the water the man in front of us put on the brakes and asked his family, “wait, what ride am I going on?”
07CE73A7-8EE4-495C-B746-E5175A0B6198.jpeg

2F090536-85CB-4113-9DD0-2A6109111BA5.jpeg

2314B024-5670-41DA-91DB-BD8397C85A1F.jpeg

Note: Disney uses the term physical distance vs social distance. It is quite brilliant if you think about it (and I really really really really really HATE the phrase social distancing probably for the same reasons Disney doesnt use it).

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29th, 2020 cont

I had some much needed alone time on Haunted Mansion👍 So did Dre but his photo never showed up.
F09747CF-728A-4D1C-83BC-AC7E786C8648.jpeg

C498B798-4694-4E88-BC80-48E4B77F554C.jpeg

No one nailed it.

When in the HM neighborhood You use the Tangled restrooms. It’s in the bylaws.

Then we saw this!
1B8243A5-375C-4E8E-8428-D77201C3B697.jpeg

12CFA2A6-F1BD-420A-B31A-54B2BFEE81B5.jpeg

AJ was hungry and wanted the Chicken and Waffles he had eaten (and loved) on a previous trip. This was the looooongest line of the day! And just as I was about to order here comes Tink! And I was wearing her shirt. I texted AJ “come quick” (kids were sitting at a table) he came running over
“What what?!?”
“Take a picture of Tink for me please?”
Him: 😒
20B9699F-3EE4-492D-B582-81C4A40BD65F.jpeg

The chicken and waffles:
CF4FB9EF-7301-43C1-8D2A-F56B7872719F.jpeg

It was ok. Not worth the line. We also got a funnel cake to share. It tasted like they gave us all the burned up little bits they scoop out between batches of yummy fluffy funnel cakes. It was yucky. And hard. And greasy. And I should have complained and got a new one but where? To who?
Eating is hard at WDW....

However, there was another PPP standing there and I wanted a castle picture. So I got one or two or 100 but I will only share
F6DE8E1F-F513-46F7-BC9F-898016C080E2.jpeg

AJ and K wanted in on the action, but not with me, of course.
0068A6F7-0030-47FB-B813-39DF540A734A.jpeg

56832BC2-3A88-4708-B967-03E441A9DB83.jpeg

This is probably my fave of the trip. Wasted on the youngens. Tsk tsk.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29th, 2020

It was heating up! I eventually had to switch out my Wawa mask for a paper mask. My glasses kept fogging up going from AC to oven to AC to oven. The paper I can pinch tight around my nose (and vent a bit on the sides😉).
ABD900DE-C80A-4CA0-9109-ACA21B154D1D.png

Time for Space Mountain. The wait said 35 but it was only about 24.5.
8AA0CDF5-DD12-498C-B305-201938F67FAB.jpeg

1603B4C4-BC32-42C1-904A-92AC09D9EE67.jpeg

I was in the car behind them and my photo did not show up.
Then onto Buzz where I did horrible!( not the word I wanted to use)
92D48426-43AC-4638-ABFD-FEC906FB8FA3.jpeg

0358D3AA-CC89-4EA3-AEB3-C38B9D66AB24.jpeg

C6A9382A-2533-47FE-AAF2-F15A80A876B8.jpeg

This time AJ and K did not show up.
Then AJ requested Carousel of Progress. He must have been hot.
B97DC276-26B0-446A-8196-C4E1F9394509.jpeg

See how empty! BTW, posted at 30 minute wait but we only had to wait for the theatre to revolve.
F0CF6187-A715-433A-BCA2-85663AA44FCC.jpeg

There is a reason I took this, but that reason escapes me

fractal

Saturday August 29, 2020 cont

Aaah!!!! I forgot, on our walk to Big Thunder we ran into a PP photographer hanging out watching the ducks swim down in the moat below. I asked him if he could take our picture.
View attachment 496843
Why so dark? Dude? You awake? Want me to get my buddy Fractal to give you some pointers?

View attachment 496844
OK. That is better.

Back to where we were, remember this?
View attachment 496836
No drop for us...☹

We left the Splash Mountain line, which was not easy to do and keep physically distanced, and headed straight for the popcorn cart. Now, some of you may get your knickers in a twist but sorry not sorry. See, I had the idea to restart the popcorn bucket handoff. I meant to give it to True Value the day before but totally forgot it back in the room.

This is not actually Bucky, I am not sure where he is, @Loco_driver perhaps? Anyhow, this is the Star Wars bucket I bought in February. I texted @riverside when she was in wdw to see if they were still selling them before I packed it. Like I said, I forgot to give it to @Tuvalu and the more I thought about it the more I realized passing around a popcorn bucket in the middle of covid 19 is probably not a great idea. But I lugged it from New York so I was going to use it.
View attachment 496837
AJ with guns and popcorn on line for Pirates.
It was the only time I filled it so those of you with twisted knickers can chill a bit.

After Pirates the kids got some ice cream and we sat and snacked. I noticed the trash cans were all open, all the time. I guess so the guests do not have to touch them. Great idea. I wonder if this was a day one idea or if it dawned on them after they opened.
View attachment 496838

A word here about snacking/eating in the parks. I was talking to my good friend @Billy6
the other day and I told him snacking/eating at WDW is hard these days. Billy asked why and I told him because you cant just meander and eat. No eating on lines or heading from one attraction to the other. I mentioned the rule states you have to be stationary. Billy cracks me up! He asked if I could do the basketball pivot on one foot thing😂😂😂
Which of course led to this:
giphy.gif

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Wait, what were we talking about?

After our snack we were going to go on Jungle Cruise but I wanted to ride Aladdins Carpets as I had not ridden them in a million years. The kids fought me but relented. However, no way were they letting me take a picture!
After the carpets JC was a 40 min wait. Ooops. We headed to The Haunted Mansion instead.
The line went all the way down here!
View attachment 496839
Just to physically distance not because it was long-it wasnt. Walking down toward the water the man in front of us put on the brakes and asked his family, “wait, what ride am I going on?”
View attachment 496840
View attachment 496841
View attachment 496842

Note: Disney uses the term physical distance vs social distance. It is quite brilliant if you think about it (and I really really really really really HATE the phrase social distancing probably for the same reasons Disney doesnt use it).

Lol! Yes, the second shot is much better. Great photo. Makes me wonder however, if you all were standing there holding a drink I guess you could take off your masks for the picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom