Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You are not alone about the physical/social distancing comment. Fairly early on the WHO realized that ā€œsocial distancingā€ was the wrong message to give and tried to change the message to something more along the lines of you need to stay physically distant but maintain social contacts (via virtual means, etc) but alas the phrase ā€œsocial distancingā€ was already too prevalent in media and common usage.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Lol! Yes, the second shot is much better. Great photo. Makes me wonder however, if you all were standing there holding a drink I guess you could take off your masks for the picture.
Perhaps we should have asked. Next timešŸ˜‰

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Bucky is currently at the loco house. I was hoping to hand it off to @sheriffwoody back in February, but I couldnā€™t get the timing right. We are booked for next April, but I have a plan in the works for Bucky before then!

April you say?
Let me know your plans and when my sonā€™s lax schedule comes out I will call dibs on those dates!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You are not alone about the physical/social distancing comment. Fairly early on the WHO realized that ā€œsocial distancingā€ was the wrong message to give and tried to change the message to something more along the lines of you need to stay physically distant but maintain social contacts (via virtual means, etc) but alas the phrase ā€œsocial distancingā€ was already too prevalent in media and common usage.
I find myself using the phrase physical distancing now when I need to. We need to be social. Humans are social animals.

Disstevefan1

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
View attachment 494575

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

YaY!!! I was looking forward to your TR @Darstarr !!! Perfect timing! I have fresh bagels to snack on as I read :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Lol! Yes, the second shot is much better. Great photo. Makes me wonder however, if you all were standing there holding a drink I guess you could take off your masks for the picture.
Perhaps we should have asked. Next timešŸ˜‰

Photopass CMs are not allowed to take pictures of maskless guests even if they are all holding drinks/food, for the same reason mask-malfunction ride photos will not appear in MDE ~ Disney is controlling its ā€œsafety image.ā€

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29th, 2020 cont

After COP we did a little shopping. I had given the kids each a GC and AJ had already blown through his. But he worked all summer and had gotten a new debit card that he was determined to wear out!!
As for me, I had my eye on some ears for the last few trips and now they were 30% off. YES!
giphy.gif

Then I mobile ordered a couple chicken nuggets and some drinks from Cosmic Rays so we could get some AC maskless.
We were nearly done and the kids wanted to do the cars. I sent them on their way, I wanted to finish my drink and I said I would clean up. Every other table is marked ā€œdo not useā€ so two tables over there was a woman sitting with a baby. A man (husband?) was standing talking to her. To my left a CM was cleaning a table and a huge guy with a tray walked over and stood waiting. Husband guy says he is waiting for that table. Husband guy already had a table. Me, being the nice person that I am šŸ˜‰, tell big guy carrying food he can have my table (although I wasnt really done). No thank you, no acknowledging grunt, he was worse than DrešŸ˜‚
Flustered by his ā€œsocial indifferenceā€ I gathered my belongings and threw out my garbage. I headed to the ladies room at the back of Cosmic Rays while finishing my drink (flustered remember). I threw out my drink and took a step or two, a CM was coming toward me with an odd look on his face. Another step or two and I opened the bathroom door and coming out was a woman in a mask.
ā€œOh my gosh I dont have my mask on. I am so sorry. I was eating and there was this guy....ā€
She said, ā€œdont worry. You dont offend me.ā€
Nicest lady ever.
Moral of the story. Stuff happens. Don't judge. (And use your manners when someone gives you a table!)
44E25698-E38F-49E6-83A0-6F58C8681E90.jpeg

We headed toward Fantasy land when the kids were done with the cars. Seven Dwarfs was still a long wait. ā€œHow about Dumbo?!ā€
Cue groans.
ā€œHas K ever been on Dumbo?ā€
AJ led the way.
0898EEB7-67AE-4E49-B9D7-9B1DB9B85AB4.jpeg

Once inside the tent we had to choose which one to ride. I had never been on the ā€œnewā€ side and the CM told me it is the only Dumbo, in the world, that travels clockwise. ā€œOh kids, did you hear.....ā€, I said as I turned to look at them but they were gone. Boring counter clockwise it is.
F0FCD5FE-A4B6-44F6-BFEA-D4956A28B7FA.jpeg

Trunk up for good luck!
44597778-A1A1-477D-94FD-5F7ADB28F2BC.jpeg

This is a running joke with my friend El (who has been in a previous TR) I had a couple of missed calls from her so I sent her this pix. She texted back ā€œreally?ā€
51F13F7C-B687-4894-931F-743A673F2C79.jpeg

885334E1-DBE1-4A0E-9E43-2534F1018BFE.jpeg

7CD7E9EB-1163-4282-AC6A-310427633413.jpeg

My new earsā¤ļøšŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
E58662D9-C930-4E55-9EB1-AA5454EA5F9B.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Photopass CMs are not allowed to take pictures of maskless guests even if they are all holding drinks/food, for the same reason mask-malfunction ride photos will not appear in MDE ~ Disney is controlling its ā€œsafety image.ā€
ā€œSafety imageā€šŸ˜‚ right up there with ā€œsocial distancingā€.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Check your receipt for those ears. The 30% off AP discount expired on 8/14. (Though will be reinstated in time for your next trip!)

I was angry (thinking I had been cheated) when I saw only a 20% discount for my August trip purchases....did some research and found the above. :banghead:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Check your receipt for those ears. The 30% off AP discount expired on 8/14. (Though will be reinstated in time for your next trip!)

I was angry (thinking I had been cheated) when I saw only a 20% discount for my August trip purchases....did some research and found the above. :banghead:
All ā€œAmericanaā€ merchandise was 30% off. I guess American stuff doesnt sell to AmericansšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
SSR had ā€œAmericanaā€ Mickey t-shirts 30% off and B1G1. I am kicking myself for not getting two.

amjt660

Hi @Darstarr
I may have made a comment a little too loudly because when we got off the airplane they both gave me the evil eye.
Ah yes - the inner voice not staying inside
I am finding with age that I have very few f's left to give - so that sort of thing does not bother me anymore!!

the rows arent numbered so you have to count.ā€ How many people mess that up???
1599841357483.png

We got out of the bus and three different CMā€™s yelled ā€œWELCOME HOME DARLENEā€ as the instacart guy sped off. (Probably because he knew he had given me moldy strawberries!). It felt amazing (to be welcomed in such a manner, not the moldy strawberries).
Thank you for clarifying this one, otherwise I would start to wonder.....
They gave me both the fish tacos and the chicken sandwich! @amjt660 , can you guess what the three kids ordered???
1599841434987.png

Which is better than...
1599841530093.png

Enjoying the TR as always

Max

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom