Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to say😂

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJ’s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parent’s wedding😂)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngest’s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told “yes, the microwave is available”. I still doubted that so I PM’d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
August 28 cont

My foursome had a predicament. We had a dining reservation in Disney Springs and thanks to the skyliner side trek we were running on a tight schedule. We could probably get back to SSR, change/shower if needed (smelly teenagers) and walk to DS. If the Disney bus gods are with us we can make it happen. We approached our stop and there was not a bus there. No bus gods today. A bus did come a short time later, we got on and away we went. Then the skies opened up!
giphy.gif

On the bus we came up with a new plan. Skip changing/showering (people are wearing masks👃), get off at the Springs bus stop (the main SSR bus stop) and wait for a Disney Springs bus.
95EEE90D-5FD8-4C56-8A31-5FE225786E8C.jpeg

The rain was really coming down! And no DS busđŸ€·â€â™€ïž
2AEBEECD-696C-4EBF-B1D6-D7416BEF098E.jpeg

10CC061D-CEAA-4135-954B-B41AEA091619.jpeg

See the sliver of brownish pavement in the bottom of the above pix? I saw something flopping around out there.
6D5F3B3E-454B-4EC7-A9DE-398A262FAA7C.jpeg

A baby turtle! No idea how he got all the way up here. Beyond the railing In the previous picture there is a pond. You can see the fountain from it. But its a long way down and pretty steep for this little guy. We returned him to the water. Maybe that annoyed him but getting run over by a Disney bus probably would have annoyed him more.

Onto plan C....the rain was slowing a bit.
“We can make a run for the carriage house and eat there.”
We made the run for it but Artists Palette is not the place to eat. There are very few choices and we were not feeling it. I modified our reservation to later in the trip. I had been really looking forward to it too😞 When I first saw the “coming soon” sign for City Works Eatery and Pour House I remember thinking “yum”. Then @coachwnh gave it such rave reviews I checked the menu.The first three items were some of AJ’s favorites! (remember it was suppose to be an AJ trip, not playing favorites).
We decided against Artist Palette. Even we weren’t that hungry😂

Can I get a plan D?
The rain had stopped.
“Lets go back to the room, we can have a snack to take the edge off, shower, change, walk to Disney Springs and eat at a quick serve restaurant.”
But first some shenanigans.
E2F337AD-20BC-473E-8D8A-DE70996BC43D.jpeg

6DD23024-BAE8-4778-942B-087EAA8C1D54.jpeg

012442DF-3ECD-4F4D-B25C-7A189AC79021.jpeg

Whole sections are closed off and being renovated. It is good because with the low occupancy guests aren't disturbed by noise etc.
Snacks...
A43F18F2-8FF4-451A-BF6D-F038DB1482D4.jpeg

Feeling human (and dry) and headed to Disney Springs.
4C6E3E97-E302-45ED-99A3-A9AA650CFD77.jpeg

What a beautiful night. Dre almost looks happy....

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Friday, August 28 cont

We were debating where to eat so I did what all polite people would do and I asked the guest, aka, K, AJ’s GF. She wanted a burger so we headed off to Deluxe burger. AJ does not like burgers and pitched a fit. I dont know why K puts up with him!

We mobile ordered and waited to be called.
The kids were pretty hungry and p.i.s.s.y.
Can you tell? Say cheese!
ECDEFA2B-B597-42BE-BE61-7CC2F9F1DC84.jpeg

No? Ok, we can try again. Say cheese!
F569ED7C-7B35-4E5A-8196-A50DA1E438A9.jpeg

Is that a Kona beer cart over there??? It is! It is!
4FFB61E5-73E9-422C-984C-2235D4F9338E.jpeg

One while I wait👍

I do not have food photos. It was just ok. Not nearly as good as the last time I ate there. But they did card me so I feel good about that😂

For those interested in how it works:
We mobile ordered and then waited for a text to tell us what station to pick up our food. Inside they have stations separated by partitions. Our food was in our designated station in a sealed to go bag. Our drinks were on a table in front of the beverage dispensers. I had to get the beer in a different place. No sauces, except ketchup packets were available. We had to ask for them. It was one way in and one way out. We were seated on the patio near the out door. To get a drink refill we had to walk to the front past the CM’s posted as security 😉then back out the back door. Honestly, it was just too much work for mediocre food. We did have some leftovers which we packed up in one of the bags and AJ grabbed.

“Look Mom! Ron Jons”.
We did some major damage in Ron Jon and ended up closing the store. We were the last people out.
“AJ, where is the leftover food?” He knocked on the door we had just exited that had been locked behind us. The guy with the key let him in. AJ searched the entire store and asked all the employees but no one knew anything about a big sack of food.
Really?

“Sorry guys” a humbled AJ said.

We decided to take the bus.
A41DA0B6-F0AC-48CB-BD33-595E1C35D7BA.jpeg

Look how happy! (@fractal hi shorts I had to run to Old Navy to buy right before the trip)

A86F7D4B-0555-43BD-A976-A76B39D59F74.jpeg

Nothing like a little retail therapy to brighten a teenagers mood.

88C2372D-692A-41E9-AA2A-0E49836A23FA.jpeg

I tried to get it but he looked away.

I was pretty tired at this point and was looking forward to some sleep. A few days before we left K asked AJ if his mom had any weird or mean rules. Haha! I said not really except we do milk with breakfast. After that it is pretty much anything goes. Dre chimed in about pictures, and how I always want to take them. AJ defended me and told his little bro “just smile and get it over with”. This is why I like K, she brings out the jedi in him, not his dark side.
But then AJ said “no phones in bed.”
K’s eyes got huge.
“What,” I said. “When we go to bed it’s lights out”.
Did that qualify as a “mean” rule???

All obeyed the lights out rule and we slept soundly. Nice first day. Nice first day indeed.

Captain Barbossa

AJ does not like burgers and pitched a fit.
What teenage male doesn’t like burgers?! Lol

Meant to comment earlier, but I’m still scratching my head about the whole adult supervision/mini golf thing. Like you said, Disney doesn’t mind turning kids loose with a Sea Raycer when their 12, but a few 16 and 17 year olds playing mini golf is apparently a no no? Yeah I call bs on that.

Enjoying your report!

Spash007

i'm so very late, very much enjoying it. But more importantly -

I
missed
you
by
Friggin
Days??

Chalk another one up to 2020 I guess?

Spash007

Oh man. One day the stars will align for is. Look how long it took me to meet up with True Value and she is there 12 weeks a year!

Yes, one day it will happen!

@Spash007 may have missed you by 3 days, but he missed me by 3 minutes!

That has to be some sort of record right?? I'm still so upset about that - but we ended up running late because we went into the Tiki Room, and my daughter has declared that is one of her favorites. So that's a slight consolation prize? I'm still kicking myself though, because I forgot (and always do) that DME actually leaves at the time they give you, and doesn't load at that time.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29, 2020

One last note from the night before, we needed an extra blanket and shampoo and conditioner (since they only replenish every other day). The items were brought quickly and sealed in bags.

Magic Kingdom day!!!!
I had told/warned the kids we were going to stop for castle photos and I did not want any grief - looking at you Dre!!!

I woke, showered then started microwaving breakfasts and making beds while everyone else showered and dressed.
I took my breakfast out to the patio. I really dont like the first floor. I feel so exposed.

9976EEA9-4260-485C-A913-2DF2C9A89DB0.jpeg

Saratoga is so pretty.
C247F1F8-38F1-492F-9F0E-D20500FD4ADC.jpeg

We headed to the bus stop about 8:30.
K had gotten AJ hooked on some new game where you work in a bakery or something? So they were busy setting up their “stores” for the day.
585F6A44-5875-472D-A2B3-2D05CBA21B67.jpeg

9F327095-A2A3-4F17-AFAE-686E63A5859B.jpeg

I had bought AJ the grumpy shirt but I think I got it for the wrong kid!
08FAF9C1-2DE1-4FC7-950D-C5E137E45343.jpeg

It was still early and starting to heat up. I had my trust Wawa mask (thanks for the tip @fractal ).
59FCAEE6-A7A2-4F93-8ACB-78EBABC8A46B.png

Finally here! After six long, boring months, I was finally back in the MK!

But what the heck are these?
7209CF50-416D-4B94-A711-50422382D41E.jpeg

It’s 2020. What do you think they are?
MASK VENDING MACHINES.

We tapped in, “ok, lets find a PP photographer and get our picture in front if the tr.....”
“Oh, there arent any. Alright, we will get some in front of the castle. I am dying to see the new paint job. It looks pretty good in the pictures I have seen.”

But first❀
4D950D99-B4DD-4F11-99FE-070938F9BE47.jpeg

E3985BB2-B9FF-492A-B500-2567EB78FAEC.jpeg

“Ummmm, where are the photopass photographers??? And why is the castle so friggin’ ugly??? CURSE YOU 2020!!!”
B13A07AD-8854-43F0-A3AF-0A1AA694ED5F.jpeg

And, it was crowded. Not like normal crowded but compare this mainstreet to TR’s from late July and early August. It was a Saturday so it was probably a lot of AP’s.

And now for my castle opinion.
I love the purple! Purple is the color of royalty and it pops against a blue (or gray) sky beautifully. The gold is elegant, the gray of the bricks serves the purpose but jeez louise the body of the castle is terrible. It has been described as pink but it really isnt. It is more of a warm muted orange with a touch of pink. Think desert house in Arizona, not a castle for a princess. The purple has a lot of blue in it and next to the warmth of the clay color it just doesnt go. I had a friend who used to say “all colors go together. Just look at nature.” I think even she would agree this is bad. So very bad. It is like 4 kids were told “pick a color” and then Disney went with those four colors regardless of if they complimented one another.

And there weren’t any PP photographers!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom