Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to say😂

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJ’s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parent’s wedding😂)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngest’s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told “yes, the microwave is available”. I still doubted that so I PM’d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

tiggerlvr

I'm in! Looking forward to reading about your adventure. Also being from NY (South of Buffalo), we had to cancel our August trip as I wouldn't have had 2 weeks to quarantine when we got home before I went back to work at school. Boo! Hoping the quarantine is lifted by November for me and my husbands rebooked anniversary weekend from April, and if not then, it better be lifted by my week long February trip with my best friend!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The way to my ❤️..... Friends gifs!!!

New @Darstarr report?!? This calls for a happy dance!
View attachment 494667
giphy.gif

A little late, but I'm always up for Friends, happy dances, and @Darstarr TR's!!
Yesssssss!!!!

A @Darstarr TR?

View attachment 494707

This is why @Darstarr is my hero - she is not afraid to be honest about her kids.

By the way, I see Dre is his usual smiley self 😉

Oh yeah. He is 15 and SUPER good at it!!!

Thank you , FRIENDS, for joining in!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
No kidding! I wonder why they shunted you down the ladder while other people got major upgrades? It doesn't make much sense! Oh well...I'm curious about SSR....isn't it kind of far from everything? Or is it not that bad?

Ya'll are killing me. Knowing you've all been down there and here I I'm checking every hour for new trip reports for the past few weeks. Just waiting...... ;)

Glad everything worked out, I'm excited to hear about Saratoga. I've debated staying there a few times

Also interested in peoples thoughts on Saratoga. From videos, it made my wife feel claustrophobic. it was a big reason we bought at OKW.
As shocking as it may sound... neither Kevin nor I drink beer (EXCEPT the Schoferhofer Grapefruit or Pomegranate ones in Germany - the Kool Aid of beers...) and we're both borned and raised in WI.

We do eat too much CHEESE, though... 🧀 :geek:

Can't wait to tag along. We'll be in Congress Park @ Saratoga Springs on Saturday!! At least, I REQUESTED Congress Park...

I have stayed at Saratoga many many times and I dont hate it. I usually stay in Congress park @dizfan917 which is awesome. Walking distance to DS and a nice quiet pool. I will have more to say about SSR shortly.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
giphy.gif

SHE'S BACK! Can't wait!!
Haha. Thanks. You made me smile.

Yay!!!! I'm in!
Yay!!! I am happy you are in!

Yea!!!! So glad for a Darstarr trip report🤩 It's like Christmas when some of my favs have trip reports, and I get to relive disney trips though you guys! Can't wait!
There are some good trip reports out there now. They are distracting me from mine😂

Love, love, love your reports!!! Glad you were able to travel. Looking forward to reading!

So happy you are here!

Why am I always late on these things??? 🤦🏻‍♀️
Totally not late! Welcome...

I'm in! Looking forward to reading about your adventure. Also being from NY (South of Buffalo), we had to cancel our August trip as I wouldn't have had 2 weeks to quarantine when we got home before I went back to work at school. Boo! Hoping the quarantine is lifted by November for me and my husbands rebooked anniversary weekend from April, and if not then, it better be lifted by my week long February trip with my best friend!
I will have more to say on the whole quarantine business.
giphy.gif

I'm really late, but can't wait to hear all about your trip!
You really aren't late at all. If you want to know a secret, I am not even done unpacking🤫

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So far so good. We started virtually on the 19th and are planning to return to campus on the 21st, though I’m not confident that we’ll be going back. Things aren’t too good here in SC, especially in the upstate where Clemson is located. Unfortunately, Clemson doesn’t care about the health and safety of their students and faculty. The main reason that they’re pushing for a return to campus is so they can make $$$ from the freshman who will be living in on-campus housing. (Our president is just like Bob Chapek, and that’s no compliment lol) Luckily, students have the option to remain online for the semester, and that’s what I’ve chosen to do. It wasn’t an easy decision by any means, but it’s what works the best for me right now.

Hope things are good at X’s school.
X is now in grad school and living off campus. One of his classes is virtual and the other is in person. As for the undergrads, the classes are smaller and more frequent but for fewer weeks (does that make sense?) to limit students coming in contact with other students.

If you ask me, colleges/universities have been ripping people off for years. This might be the wake up call they need. College tuition has gotten way out of hand!!!

Stay safe and study hard!!!

Loco_driver

If you ask me, colleges/universities have been ripping people off for years. This might be the wake up call they need. College tuition has gotten way out of hand!!!

Love that window. Now you need a little potted plant and you are complete! 🌵
Haha I’ll have to get a fake one. I’m afraid I’d probably kill any other plant!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
August 28, 2020 cont

The plane ride....
Well there was a small child, one and a half maybe. Boy could he scream. And kick. And poke me between the seats. He could also say “thanks” and “I wuv you” to his mother so who was I to complain.

But, about 45 seconds before landing. I mean touchdown is imminent!! Any second now! A girl, about 11 or 12, sitting near the window decides she needs to get up. I have no idea where she wanted to go. Maybe she was scared. I am not sure if she knew better. BUT! Her mother sitting in the aisle seat should have known better. She unbuckled and stood up to let her daughter out. Oh boy! There was all sorts of yelling over the PA and they both sat down. I may have made a comment a little too loudly because when we got off the airplane they both gave me the evil eye.

Onward to the Magical Express. While on the plane I had the feeling I forgot to do something. There isnt much planning involved so what could it be???
I never received my ME papers. No problem, I scanned my magic band and we got in line.
A CM assigned us seats on the bus. We were in row 8 but, she told us, “the rows arent numbered so you have to count.” How many people mess that up???

F67C6094-1A3B-429F-9072-BE089FA020ED.jpeg

(It looks like Donald is photo bombing us😂)

Did I mention we landed about 30 minutes early???
And while pulling into SSR the Instacart delivery guy called to let me know he was leaving the order with bell services and he needed my last name. I would think, if he has my cell phone number, he should have my last name. He, of course, could not hear me through the mask on my top of the line phone. I told him we were pulling up and just to wait.
We got out of the bus and three different CM’s yelled “WELCOME HOME DARLENE” as the instacart guy sped off. (Probably because he knew he had given me moldy strawberries!). It felt amazing (to be welcomed in such a manner, not the moldy strawberries).

I got the room ready text as we pulled up too.

6D78E8A5-CA50-4D26-A0B5-5EE4CFD83F08.png

I chose the Paddock after talking to @riverside . I was considering Congress park, like I always do, but the main pool is a bit of a walk and, dont judge, it appeared the Pool bar (and grill) was not open. Instead they wanted you to walk up to the main building to get food and drink. I didnt want to do that. The Paddock pool bar (and grill) was open and the pool is a smaller version of a feature pool. Cool slide and all.

Mark from Wisconsin (yep) drove us, our luggage and our groceries to our room.
BB4FC2D5-E4BB-4FCC-97F4-6B461355B3EB.jpeg

He made sure to mention he had cleaned his cart.
In all the arrival excitement I forgot to go inside and buy sunscreen (forgot to get on my instacart order). I asked Mark from Wisconsin what the best way to get back to the carriage house was. He said he would take me and then bring me back.

In other words, sorry @Nunu but no room photos as I dropped and ran out again. By the time I returned it had been lived in by three teenagers. Also, I got the first floor which is not my favorite but....

I did get this
09BD80F0-B1CD-412D-92F5-C15FE2022DF0.jpeg

if anyone is interested.

Back to CM Mark. We had a good chat driving back and forth. He has worked at SSR since opening day. One of the things I love most about SSR is the staff. They keep them for a long time so it must be a good place to work and that trickles down to the guest. Mark and I discussed mask wearing in the heat. He told me, for 15 years he brought his lunch. Now he goes out everyday so he can take the mask off for a bit. He also told me staff has been recalled based on seniority. I chuckle because I did notice the CM average age was higher than normal.

MickeyCB

I believe it was normal BUT, how do you do that to your friends with no warning? The tracer said AJ (his GF was also reported) had to self quarantine at home for two weeks, take his temperature twice a day etc. But meanwhile, the “contact day” that was reported, AJ and his GF were at my house. They weren't even with this kid!!! So my take away is....anyone can mess with anyone else, disrupt their life for two weeks just by reporting their name and number if they test positive. Also, this kid never had symptoms and didnt actually test positive. He tested positive for antibodies so who knows when he was exposed. AJ’s GF got tested. She was negative. I did not get AJ tested.
That's layers of crazy!
I don't get it if they weren't together!
But, with all of that said, I'm looking forward to reading more about what I hope was a great trip and a break from all of that!

DisneyGigi

August 28, 2020 cont

The plane ride....
Well there was a small child, one and a half maybe. Boy could he scream. And kick. And poke me between the seats. He could also say “thanks” and “I wuv you” to his mother so who was I to complain.

But, about 45 seconds before landing. I mean touchdown is imminent!! Any second now! A girl, about 11 or 12, sitting near the window decides she needs to get up. I have no idea where she wanted to go. Maybe she was scared. I am not sure if she knew better. BUT! Her mother sitting in the aisle seat should have known better. She unbuckled and stood up to let her daughter out. Oh boy! There was all sorts of yelling over the PA and they both sat down. I may have made a comment a little too loudly because when we got off the airplane they both gave me the evil eye.

Onward to the Magical Express. While on the plane I had the feeling I forgot to do something. There isnt much planning involved so what could it be???
I never received my ME papers. No problem, I scanned my magic band and we got in line.
A CM assigned us seats on the bus. We were in row 8 but, she told us, “the rows arent numbered so you have to count.” How many people mess that up???

View attachment 494814
(It looks like Donald is photo bombing us😂)

Did I mention we landed about 30 minutes early???
And while pulling into SSR the Instacart delivery guy called to let me know he was leaving the order with bell services and he needed my last name. I would think, if he has my cell phone number, he should have my last name. He, of course, could not hear me through the mask on my top of the line phone. I told him we were pulling up and just to wait.
We got out of the bus and three different CM’s yelled “WELCOME HOME DARLENE” as the instacart guy sped off. (Probably because he knew he had given me moldy strawberries!). It felt amazing (to be welcomed in such a manner, not the moldy strawberries).

I got the room ready text as we pulled up too.

View attachment 494815

I chose the Paddock after talking to @riverside . I was considering Congress park, like I always do, but the main pool is a bit of a walk and, dont judge, it appeared the Pool bar (and grill) was not open. Instead they wanted you to walk up to the main building to get food and drink. I didnt want to do that. The Paddock pool bar (and grill) was open and the pool is a smaller version of a feature pool. Cool slide and all.

Mark from Wisconsin (yep) drove us, our luggage and our groceries to our room.
View attachment 494816
He made sure to mention he had cleaned his cart.
In all the arrival excitement I forgot to go inside and buy sunscreen (forgot to get on my instacart order). I asked Mark from Wisconsin what the best way to get back to the carriage house was. He said he would take me and then bring me back.

In other words, sorry @Nunu but no room photos as I dropped and ran out again. By the time I returned it had been lived in by three teenagers. Also, I got the first floor which is not my favorite but....

I did get this
View attachment 494819
if anyone is interested.

Back to CM Mark. We had a good chat driving back and forth. He has worked at SSR since opening day. One of the things I love most about SSR is the staff. They keep them for a long time so it must be a good place to work and that trickles down to the guest. Mark and I discussed mask wearing in the heat. He told me, for 15 years he brought his lunch. Now he goes out everyday so he can take the mask off for a bit. He also told me staff has been recalled based on seniority. I chuckle because I did notice the CM average age was higher than normal.

Other than the wrapped amenities, I would have thought that was standard cleaning, in between new guests anyway. 😑

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
August 28, 2020 cont

Mark from Wisconsin must have been happy with his tip because he offered to drive us to Olivia’s (at OKW) for breakfast one morning. How nice is that? But I politely declined as we didnt have time for such frivolity 😂

Pool time!!!
We were starving. We suited up and headed to the pool.
2 lifeguards and 2 “other” (cleaners/drink fillers/nice CM’s) and there were about eight people, including us!!!
A95E7861-1A44-4D01-9A7D-17B610D4353F.jpeg

Beautiful day for a swim.
Full confession. I had put on the Covid 5. Not exactly the quarantine 15 (@Billy6 ) but disturbing just the same. So for the month before the trip I was on the wagon. (Lost the 5👍) I was really looking forward to a cold beer poolside. But what to get??? Hahaha!!!
It’s 2020. What do you think I am going to get???
656726E8-BE98-44C6-BE42-50E5E9D0EAA3.jpeg

We ordered lunch, it was not mobile order, and sat down. The kids went in the pool while I started on my beer.
C7A94E29-8C00-49D9-829C-FF4BAF1ED921.jpeg

95B9A8AE-7675-4F1A-A10E-7A3C1576DDCC.jpeg

59B66D60-CB37-410E-8A1A-5AD46C8655D4.jpeg

Lunch was taking a long time so I took a turn on the slide. (No photo)
9B6AD970-0A8D-449A-91AB-9D605E61569F.jpeg

Hey @fractal this could be the best picture I took. Great lighting. Nice subject. Tasted good too.

Lunch was taking a long time. Did I say that already? A couple who had been there for about 5 minutes got their food and I sat nursing my beer. The delivery CM explained they had ran out (run out?) of tortillas for my fish tacos but some were on their way from the Carriage house. I told him not to go to all the trouble, that I would take the chicken sandwich instead and to let me know if I owed them anymore money.
153CC183-B5FC-4963-9A97-B1F2F08A31E3.jpeg

Kids waited patiently. Dre is kinda smiling! Well, he isnt frowning anyway.
Then lunch was delivered. They gave me both the fish tacos and the chicken sandwich! @amjt660 , can you guess what the three kids ordered???
325AD5ED-0F9C-442D-B9F1-A2800979717F.jpeg

SURPRISE!

01F0C14B-08B5-4DAB-BC2E-8437F61494AD.jpeg

The fish tacos were out of this world delicious
(😉 @PineapplePrincess ) but boy did they leave me thirsty. No more beer though. I had an important date!

And the chicken sandwich, which was also good, according to AJ who ate almost all of it-and his nuggets.
26E448E3-8B6B-490D-841F-5F099A50836B.jpeg

The house-made chips were yummy!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
August 28, 2020 cont

After guests would leave their pool chairs guy would come around with this huge sprayer and “clean”.
2B2B6FE6-25C2-4054-A4BC-07C087E5887A.jpeg

I headed back to the room to shower and change for my “date”. The kids came shortly after and did the same.
We hopped on a bus to HW. The kids destination was Fantasia mini golf. Mine was the studios.

Bus picture meant to show the physical barriers but I dont think it does.
608AE0AB-42BB-45E1-A1D4-028A501AD9FD.jpeg

This one does
B56E6BCD-5A0B-40B0-9CDB-5D3307E2A247.jpeg

There are groups of seats labeled from 1-6. The bus driver assigns you a number. Large parties split up. I am pretty sure this is not what the bus drivers had in mind when they took their road test😂

Wait! Listen to this story...
I called about a week before departure to make a mini golf reservation. The CM was soooooooooo annoying! (Oh super! Thats great! Perfect!-all in a fake sing song voice)
She asks me how many adults. People, we know a Disney adult is different then a real world adult and I am never sure what they mean, plus I have been burned before by that question so I always give the exact ages if the person is between 3 and 18.
I told her, 16 and 17 (Dre had not been added yet).
Her: “Oh perfect🎶
Me: 🤦🏼‍♀️🔫
At the end they read you all the fine print: must cancel within.... blah blah blah....an hour and a half...yadda yadda yadda....must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older. Wait! What?!?
Me: I told you they were 16 and 17.
Her: 🎵Yes, thats right.
Me: But I dont want to play miniature golf. Can I check them in and sit on a bench?(BTW, I had important plans, no way was I sitting on some lame mini golf bench!)
Her: No. But lets see🎶 there is a segway tour available.
To recap, they can ride segways, they can drive the sea raycer boats solo as well, but they can not play mini golf....
giphy.gif

I sent them on their way trusting they would not be carded, or even asked their age. They weren't. K kicked the boys buttes BTW!

I had received a text from my date “if you can get here by 4:20 I have a RotR BG spot for you”. You can bet I hustled. Then another text where she would meet me.

Sorry, but let me mention security here.
Wow! Like 1000% better. They have the new walk through scanners that handle 60 people per minute. (Lets see 60 seconds divided by 60 people, carry the one....😁) I did beep and got pulled over to a table off to the side. I put my bag on top and the friendly security CM opened it. I have heard different accounts of this process but for me, it was painless. He peeked inside, pulled out what was on top and saw my sunglass case. He said that is what set it off and next time to walk through with the case in my hand in front of my body.
And that was it. Noteworthy was he was not wearing gloves. I dont mind but for their peace of mind I am surprised.

race walked down Sunset Blvd and there she was! The lovely and gracious
Ms. @Tuvalu or as I like to call her, True Value.
I got close and told her I was going in for a hug. I know during these times not everyone is comfortable with a hug but....
She had her friend, K, with her who acted as our photographer. We will have the same pictures because any time either of us took a picture the other one would say “send that to me”.
We also had the same magic bands!
Samesies!!!
57D06981-1351-4BCB-9410-96F999093B7C.jpeg

We headed straight for RotR, I was Woody if anyone is interested.
giphy.gif

I got my card! Yay!
94A873E6-45F9-4DFD-8127-1C37C095E8A1.jpeg

Talk about Shirley status!!!
giphy.gif

81BA82E6-8870-4B70-8942-7084FDE98098.jpeg

We took more pictures but I will save some for her TR.
After joining the resistance we had to take a ride on MMRR. It was my first time. True Value pointed out a few things I never would have noticed. I had avoided all spoilers but apparently there is a preshow that is not showing. I really should watch that.....

After MMRR we had to part ways. I walked her to her bus then I went to sit on a bench and wait for the kids.

Thank you, True Value, for a wonderful afternoon. And tell K she is a delight!!!

There I sat waiting for the kids, on a bench. Waiting. We had dinner reservation. Where were they???
42FF5D43-D600-4275-8113-FA2F82B20E6B.jpeg

I heard a loud “mother!” Looked up and took the picture below, as they were taking the above picture.
AAE87888-D5D3-4319-83A5-5AF4A0BDF85B.jpeg

See those clouds....anyone still think my rain curse has been lifted???

We were running late. AJ loves the skyliner. In his mind, the best way to get from Fantasia mini golf to HWS is: Swan, walk to Epcot, get on Skyliner, ride for 30 minutes or so, end up at HWS, eventually.
Did I mention we were running late???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom