Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Love the ears and the discount!
I know right. Total score!
Should have bought the tshirts though.

Wow - looks like Dre ALMOST cracked a smile behind his mask on Dumbo!
1599850231899.gif

Love this!! Totally agree it should by physical distancing. And stay around forever. :p Fabulous photos!!!
Fabulous photos??? Wait, the ones I took or the PP?
April 10-17! Maybe we can make up for our missed meeting that should be happening next week.
I will put those dates in my calendar and see what I can do. Btw, I will be thinking of you next week. Do you want it to be when I am eating a dole whip or drinking a beer?
Love the ears. I might have to get a pair to wear when I vote....for every election....bet that would get the neighbors talking.
1599850512222.gif

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29, 2020 cont

Next was the Barnstormer. It was a 5 minute wait so why not. With the People mover closed I think this is the new hot spot to take those obligatory Tron photos.
D6E8257C-C75C-4322-812E-D299CF4A9307.jpeg

0AD5EE42-861B-4CA3-B2CA-E3A77EEC94D1.jpeg

30D14B77-98FE-4A05-B302-5B23130B37AD.jpeg

27AA5881-DF81-48B3-AED1-1E30C71D9341.jpeg

4C68E793-AB4B-48B1-9F6A-343CAF340973.jpeg

Then we went to see Ariel. She is great, her ride...not so much.
F6CC7C87-5F28-4961-A31D-DE677F48B8B9.jpeg

8BB44DAA-2391-4FBD-8F06-4BF5559F4CA3.jpeg

It broke Dre. He was hot and tired and miserable (I would prefer sleepy, sneezy and dopey butšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø). He left. Which was fine because there was a storm brewing. But wasn't there a red sky last night? Red sky at night sailorā€™s delight.
563A5F63-C362-4F0B-ADC1-12A78710FF7A.png

This popped up. I said, lets do the carousel then we will run to Philharmagic once it starts to rain. While in line we saw the Trumane sisters.
5BDDEE5F-F712-4AEB-A48B-7F04FE2ACC45.jpeg

The storm was coming. Were we going to make it before lightning shut us down?
CCBB86EB-B16F-4F59-B9CF-73A0B3F92EBD.png

Last edited:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29th, 2020 cont

We made it on the carousel just as the rain began. Really good timing (for once).
882A5F19-F382-4CEA-8240-EE2449DC5B84.jpeg

I know this picture is dark but I wanted to show the rain in the background. Yeah, I did it on purpose.
This one is of the people, for the people.
CAF9C898-264A-49B9-9513-D00D0AA254B7.jpeg

After our turn on the Carousel we ran across the way to Mickeyā€™s Philharmagic and got the last spot in the covered queue. We moved up after about 5 minutes.
65A58B43-903B-4997-B731-0D1EC58971D1.jpeg

You can still see it coming down. I know we waited a full show cycle but I think it might have been two. But it was ok because we were dry.
973CBEA4-2CBC-41FC-8564-E47B4E05E9A2.jpeg

(So blurryšŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø)
With all that time on our hands I found some hidden Mickeys.
278080A3-21B6-4858-8759-FAEFF32553B2.jpeg

96A0A721-FD3B-40F6-8B4E-F7FEA112ED3D.jpeg

Time to check the weather...
14DD4F64-D69D-4294-BE3F-F67E51AF35CA.png

Lots of lightning!
In the ā€œpreshow waiting areaā€ there were markers as to where you could stand
230E450E-D61E-4B17-A61F-D8913FBBD19D.jpeg

Every group got a dot of their own. The dots were assigned by a CM.
5A8BFA22-86D6-4175-BB51-4E3BE8F300EC.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29th cont

We finished with Philharmagic and wondered what to do next. Hmmmm, what are the choices?
3DF96DE7-1483-4098-9088-AB86CEC95A17.png

61411EC8-F33B-457C-B6DF-2A40AF21502B.png
4827F5E0-559E-4A06-ACCB-370D640CADF7.png
m
F60E7A72-880A-49F0-890E-388341A82B45.png

Soooooo....bathroom anyone???

Then the storm cleared and we booked it over to 7DMT. By the time we got there it said 45 minutes. We got on the line at 4:50 and off the ride at 5:31. Not too bad.
9DC3458C-6B4E-4322-B8F0-2F8E608A765B.jpeg

I wanted to use flash but AJ yelled at me. Next time I will tell him, ā€œbut Fractal saysā€.
3A1FE314-2ACB-49C3-A1AD-65FB028E6765.jpeg

Time for another ride. Kids choice.
Space Mountain of course.
BFA7C50A-DF15-439C-A762-4F6F730034F4.jpeg

241BAFD8-730E-4C54-AFCC-280BC668EC3C.jpeg

And a picture of the ugliest jacket...EVER!!!
A79DA816-A081-49CC-A421-2CD16F7CD52B.jpeg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Saturday August 29th cont

We finished with Philharmagic and wondered what to do next. Hmmmm, what are the choices?
View attachment 497061
View attachment 497062View attachment 497063mView attachment 497064
Soooooo....bathroom anyone???

Then the storm cleared and we booked it over to 7DMT. By the time we got there it said 45 minutes. We got on the line at 4:50 and off the ride at 5:31. Not too bad.
View attachment 497065
I wanted to use flash but AJ yelled at me. Next time I will tell him, ā€œbut Fractal saysā€.
View attachment 497066

Time for another ride. Kids choice.
Space Mountain of course.
View attachment 497069
View attachment 497071
And a picture of the ugliest jacket...EVER!!!
View attachment 497070

Wait ugliest Jacket?!?!? I think it is beautiful!! I regret not buying it!

Just kidding!!! It is pretty. Pretty hideous!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday, August 29 cont

AJā€™s stomach was bothering
Wait ugliest Jacket?!?!? I think it is beautiful!! I regret not buying it!

Just kidding!!! It is pretty. Pretty hideous!
I got ToT stomach there for a second...
I told the kids how that was in style when I was their age and it was hideous back then too!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29 cont

AJā€™s stomach wasnā€™t feeling well and he wanted to shop. We headed out and made a pit stop at the restrooms near The Plaza. I knew my friend had a reservation at that time so I thought I would peek in the window. I figured I might get lucky.
BOY DID I!!!
60E34FBC-221B-475F-A00B-2075FA525042.jpeg

And of course at the same time she asked me to send it to her as I was saying I would send it to heršŸ„°
And lookšŸ‘€ Woody!!!šŸ‘
AJ and K were a little weirded out. Dre has met @bee , X has met @Billy6 so they kinda get it. AJ was a newbie to the meeting of magicians. Or as he calls it, ā€œmy Karen Disney blogā€.šŸ¤£

AJ speaks duck and these guys were calling him. I had to get a couple shots for @DisneyGigi
BC38C6E7-2751-4819-A350-6CD9132C20F6.jpeg

6950FFB3-7B89-4F71-8A2E-9D64ACE9125F.jpeg

I was telling AJ the story about how one bit me at Epcot, on cue, this guy bit AJ.

The stores were pretty crowded with people leaving for the 7:00pm close. I thought I would go check out the Pandora charms but there was one couple taking up a lot of space plus 6ft, I decided to pass and save the $$$ for the kids.

I sent this to @MickeyCB
Not as good as what @fractal could do but I tried.

9272FB50-E95E-4A23-A6DF-D6E9C39273B2.jpeg

This was the one I had wanted in the morning with the blue sky and the look of promise and hope on the kids faces. Gray sky, tired, and in AJā€™s case, upset tummy works too
BBAF911F-7FCF-43BE-8AD6-FC84D3204054.jpeg

We headed toward the buses and saw our bus was there so we made a run for it. My phone dings. Itā€™s True Value, ā€œI think I saw you running for the bus and did you lose one?ā€
Haha
She was passing by in the monorailšŸš

We headed back to SSR to shower and change for dinner at Disney Springs.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday August 29 cont

We showered , changed and hopped on a bus for Disney Springs. We were running late for our dinner reservation and I had already pushed it back. AJā€™s stomach was really bothering him so we went on a quest for pepto bismol. First we went to guest services. I asked if there was a location, that she knew of, that sold it. She had some antacid in a first aid kit at the podium which she gave us. Then she told us to check Sundries.
ā€œWhere is that?ā€
ā€œIt is kind of behind the Coke store.ā€
We make off for the coke store. In the area between the coke store and I think hard rock(?) there were two CMā€™s in yellow (mask police?). I asked one where Sundries was. Haha. She had never even heard that word before. She consulted her co worker. They consulted their tablet maps and it wasn't on there. Finally one of them asked a security guard.
Ready?
It is behind the Coke store. It is right next to/facing the bus stop. In other words, it is exactly where we got off the bus before we began the wild goose chase.
Pepto purchased we went to check in, 15 minutes late, to House of Blues. They sat us right away even though AJ headed to the menā€™s room.
My reward for a day of touring MK with teenagers:
B639C635-6612-4715-A827-31C929018E6B.jpeg

K got Dre to smile!
E316618D-8B97-4B22-9536-D13EB35E11C7.jpeg

Stomach feeling better after Pepto and antacid...
2E2FC8AB-AC49-4D05-9320-FDED8DBD9885.jpeg

ā€œAJ, stay away from fried food tonight.ā€

The food was good. K couldnā€™t quite figure out the menu. She said her Mom knows what she likes and orders for her. I played 20 questions with her and I think I nailed it:
4322DD20-705F-413C-9B59-76C05B8D113F.jpeg

I dont remember the name but she didnt want it spicy so I asked them not to blacken the chicken.

Dre really likes Jambalaya and this did not disappoint.
3EFA422B-37C2-493C-A951-8B91A93A7100.jpeg

If it looks like the shrimp is just thrown on there it is because it is. He forgot to order it with the meal so I asked after the fact. He liked it. Probably smiled too. Nawwwww, who am I kidding.

I got a pulled pork sandwich. One of my faves. It was yummy! Needed some bbq which is no longer on the table so I asked for it.
B08B3669-466C-4AE6-B637-66FC382AFD2D.jpeg

AJ got a Chicken Caesar salad. I asked for no onions when I ordered it (he was in the RR). He pulled them off. Our server apologized. No biggie.
282A203D-D482-4FB3-BDE6-965B8302ACB3.jpeg

BTW, see that red sticker on the table? It has a QR code. You open your phoneā€™s camera and point it at the QR code and that is how you access the menu.
Eating is hard at WDW.

No shopping spree tonight, everything was closed.
We took the bus back to SSR because it had started to rain again. Look at this:
44C6D550-6204-4942-88D7-7E515133EEED.jpeg

The AC unit was intaking my hair. Also, the sunroof was open and I was getting rained on. And I wasnt allowed to change seats. Memorable bus ride. I can laugh now.

Loco_driver

I will put those dates in my calendar and see what I can do. Btw, I will be thinking of you next week. Do you want it to be when I am eating a dole whip or drinking a beer?
Oh definitely the beer, but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be thinking of me when you have your dole whip. Thatā€™s fine though, I always think of you when I have one of these beauties!
5B44D6F9-1D36-4786-B1B4-719F952718C8.jpeg

fractal

Love the "skirting" of thunderstorms. Always a fun game!

What's up with all the duck bites?

What happened to the Wawa mask?

OMG - that one shrimp is ready to fall of the plate!

Photo of Roy and Minnie is šŸ‘ . I'm noticing an improvement in your photography skills as denoted by the lack of "abstract" comments.

Songbird76

Saturday August 29 cont

We showered , changed and hopped on a bus for Disney Springs. We were running late for our dinner reservation and I had already pushed it back. AJā€™s stomach was really bothering him so we went on a quest for pepto bismol. First we went to guest services. I asked if there was a location, that she knew of, that sold it. She had some antacid in a first aid kit at the podium which she gave us. Then she told us to check Sundries.
ā€œWhere is that?ā€
ā€œIt is kind of behind the Coke store.ā€
We make off for the coke store. In the area between the coke store and I think hard rock(?) there were two CMā€™s in yellow (mask police?). I asked one where Sundries was. Haha. She had never even heard that word before. She consulted her co worker. They consulted their tablet maps and it wasn't on there. Finally one of them asked a security guard.
Ready?
It is behind the Coke store. It is right next to/facing the bus stop. In other words, it is exactly where we got off the bus before we began the wild goose chase.
Pepto purchased we went to check in, 15 minutes late, to House of Blues. They sat us right away even though AJ headed to the menā€™s room.
My reward for a day of touring MK with teenagers:
View attachment 497107

K got Dre to smile!
View attachment 497108

Stomach feeling better after Pepto and antacid...
View attachment 497109
ā€œAJ, stay away from fried food tonight.ā€

The food was good. K couldnā€™t quite figure out the menu. She said her Mom knows what she likes and orders for her. I played 20 questions with her and I think I nailed it:
View attachment 497111
I dont remember the name but she didnt want it spicy so I asked them not to blacken the chicken.

Dre really likes Jambalaya and this did not disappoint.
View attachment 497110
If it looks like the shrimp is just thrown on there it is because it is. He forgot to order it with the meal so I asked after the fact. He liked it. Probably smiled too. Nawwwww, who am I kidding.

I got a pulled pork sandwich. One of my faves. It was yummy! Needed some bbq which is no longer on the table so I asked for it.
View attachment 497113
AJ got a Chicken Caesar salad. I asked for no onions when I ordered it (he was in the RR). He pulled them off. Our server apologized. No biggie.
View attachment 497112
BTW, see that red sticker on the table? It has a QR code. You open your phoneā€™s camera and point it at the QR code and that is how you access the menu.
Eating is hard at WDW.

No shopping spree tonight, everything was closed.
We took the bus back to SSR because it had started to rain again. Look at this:
View attachment 497114
The AC unit was intaking my hair. Also, the sunroof was open and I was getting rained on. And I wasnt allowed to change seats. Memorable bus ride. I can laugh now.
Wow! Kudos to K for getting Dre to smile! And it even looked like a real honest to goodness smile, not a "humor your mom and smile for the camera" smile. It looked sincere!

I'm a mean mom...I make my kids order for themselves. When we went to Disney in 2016, my son was 8 and really nervous about speaking English. I always spoke English to the kids, so they've understood it from the time they were littles, but he had never spoken BACK to me in English. The only time he ever spoke in English was when Grandpa called. When my dad would call, he always asked how he was doing and A would say "Good". After a few times, when I'd hand him the phone, he didn't wait for my dad to say anything, he'd just say "Hi, Grandpa. Good." and that was the extent of their conversation. E would actually make an attempt. But by the 2016 trip, I was making them speak for themselves. I'm so surprised that a 16 or 17 year old (How old is K?) wouldn't have experience in ordering in a restaurant!

For future reference, the giftshops in the resorts sell Pepto as well. Or at least I saw it at CBR when my daughter got heat exhaustion and I had to find her some tylenol for the headache. They gave her some at the first aid station we went to in AK, but a few hours later, the headache resurfaced, so when we got back to the resort, I went to look and they had it in the gift shop. But I'm glad you found it!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Love the "skirting" of thunderstorms. Always a fun game!

What's up with all the duck bites?

What happened to the Wawa mask?

OMG - that one shrimp is ready to fall of the plate!

Photo of Roy and Minnie is šŸ‘ . I'm noticing an improvement in your photography skills as denoted by the lack of "abstract" comments.
I mentioned a few posts back I had to change the Wawa mask. It is super comfy but I cant get a tight seal around my nose and my glasses would fog up everytime I went into the AC.
As for the photos
1599923414480.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom