The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

WDWScottieBoy

Here's to hoping that Jeanne dissipates before it gets close to FL or changed dirrections. I'm getting sick of these things and I don't even live there. Stay safe all and don't take this one lightly!

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Advisory Number 41

Issued at: 4:28 PM EDT 9/23/04

Jeanne moving a little faster to the west-northwest, Expected to turn westward by Friday.

A hurricane watch is in effect for the northwest bahamas.
A hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions are possible in the watch area within 36 hours.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect for the central bahamas, including cat island, the exumas, long island, rum cay, and san salvador.
Interests on the Florida peninsula should closely monitor the progress of jeanne.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the center of hurricane jeanne was located near latitude 25.9 north, longitude 70.3 west or about 425 miles, 680 km, east of great abaco island.

Jeanne is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 mph, 13 km/hr. A gradual turn toward the west at a slightly faster forward speed is expected to occur later tonight or Friday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph, 165 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some strengthening is forecast during the next 24 hours, and jeanne could become a major hurricane on Friday.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 45 miles, 75 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 140 miles, 220 km.
The estimated minimum central pressure is 966 mb, 28.53 inches.

Dangerous surf and rip currents, caused by large swells generated by hurricane jeanne, are possible along the southeastern u.s. Coast and the northwest and central bahamas for the next few days.

Repeating the 5 pm edt position, 25.9 n, 70.3 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 105 mph. Minimum central pressure, 966 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 8 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 11 pm edt.

Tim G

Original Poster
Update Hurricane Jeanne

Atlantic I.R. Satellite

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

Attachments

• Jeanne_ir_loop_01.gif
    Jeanne_ir_loop_01.gif
    538.8 KB · Views: 112

Tim G

Original Poster
By the looks of it, the wind isn't going to change either...

The wind is coming from the east, and for the coming days, it's going to stay that way... :(

Attachments

• us_ws_loop_640x480.gif
    us_ws_loop_640x480.gif
    246.3 KB · Views: 118

wsapooh

Update from Disney to travel agents just in...

Disney Destinations Hurricane Update

Thursday, Sept. 23, 5 p.m.

Walt Disney World Resort

The Walt Disney World Resort is currently monitoring Hurricane Jeanne. As of 5 p.m. eastern daylight time Thursday, Sept. 23, the storm poses no immediate threat to the resort.

All Disney-owned and -operated hotels and theme parks are open, and the ships of Disney Cruise Line continue operating out of Port Canaveral. Please be aware that if and when any policy changes are necessitated due to the safety of our guests, you will be notified.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Jeanne Continues Toward Florida After Devastating Haiti

UPDATED: 4:52 PM EDT September 23, 2004

GONAIVES, Haiti -- After devastating the island of Haiti, Hurricane Jeanne is now forecast to take a turn to the west and head toward Florida.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami says storm-ravaged Florida could be hit again this weekend. It says Jeanne has the state in its sights although it's still possible the storm could hit higher up along the Atlantic coast or curl off to sea.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect for the central Bahamas, including Cat Island, the Exumas, Long Island, Rum Cay and San Salvador.

At 5 p.m. EDT, the center of Hurricane Jeanne was located near latitude 25.9 north, longitude 70.3 west, or about 425 miles east of Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas.

Jeanne is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 mph, and a gradual turn toward the west at a slightly faster forward speed is expected to occur later Thursday night or Friday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph, with higher gusts.
A slow increase in strength is possible during the next 24 hours.

Dangerous surf and rip currents, caused by large swells generated by Hurricane Jeanne, are possible along the southeastern U.S. coast and the northwest and central Bahamas for the next few days.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Haiti Death Toll Climbs Past 1,100

Panic is gripping parts of Haiti as residents struggle to get scarce food and water, six days after taking a beating by Tropical Storm Jeanne.

In the northwest city of Gonaives, desperate, hungry and thirsty residents are attacking each other, as aid workers have a hard time reaching the area with supplies.

One farmer complained, "We can only drink the water people died in."

nicholas

wsapooh said:
Update from Disney to travel agents just in...

The Walt Disney World Resort is currently monitoring Hurricane Jeanne. As of 5 p.m. eastern daylight time Thursday, Sept. 23, the storm poses no immediate threat to the resort.

All Disney-owned and -operated hotels and theme parks are open, and the ships of Disney Cruise Line continue operating out of Port Canaveral. Please be aware that if and when any policy changes are necessitated due to the safety of our guests, you will be notified.
Let's hope this remains the case!

What about MCO, is that included in the area not affected?

Tim G

Original Poster
They WILL shut down the airport if (or rather WHEN) it's really serious...
The did the last time...

TURKEY

Corrus,

Where do you find the imagery of the wind patterns? I've looked and looked but haven't been able to find that like you post.

Figment1986

wow... I just turned to TBO.com and found out that this thing wanted to be a copycat and hit FLA and see Disney like a few others.... Why does these evil Highs want to make FLA misaribal.. (at least people never took down their plywood on alot of the homes in my neighborhood.. that is untill nov 1....)

nicholas

Should I look into flying down on Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning now, just so I can at least get to Orlando? If MCO is closed Sunday, I assume they will not reopen until late Monday or Tuesday, thus cutting off two days of my trip. Which is the lesser of two evils?

LouDisney

Nicholas, maybe you should give someone a call and see what they suggest. I am sure they will say all remains the same until they know more about where the hurricane is going to hit for sure, but I would at least give it a shot and call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom