The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

Ringo8n24

Mr D said:
The NDBC (National Data Buoy Center) has one offshore buoy (42013) reporting a windspeed of 272knts! and another (42040) with a wave height of 45.9 ft.

Hopefully 42013 must be reporting false numbers. That cannot be right. We have been watching 42007 which is near us. It is getting really rough here especially since it is now dark outside.

pinkrose

OMG! Brad... that's tooo cute! :lol:

It's beginning to get windy here. Ivan has already killed 2 in Panama City from a swam of 3 tornados. :(

Mr D

Check out the bozo at TWC! (The Weather Channel)
and buoy 42040 has had a wave of 52.5 feet, unless the other buoy went through a tornado it probably was a malfunction.

NDBC just went offline....

I think the worst storm effects is gonna be around Destin.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Speck....nice find! :lol:

My grandfather came down here from Pensacola....he was not going to ride out this thing. My aunt and cousins in Tallahassee decided to stay put though....they aren't going to get much of anything anyways.

I hope all of our members in the path of this storm stay safe. :)

miles1

For any fellow insomniacs around the country, live feed from Mobile, AL is available here:

www.wpmi.com

This is the local NBC affiliate. (It does cut in and out, so be patient).

Hope everyone is safe and sound.

Tramp

miles1 said:
For any fellow insomniacs around the country, live feed from Mobile, AL is available here:

www.wpmi.com

This is the local NBC affiliate. (It does cut in and out, so be patient).

Hope everyone is safe and sound.

cool link...thanks :wave:

Mr D

StormAlert has right now an active online stormalert service, I cannot get the video but otherwise its live. They say the eyewall is now 30 miles offshore and the worst of the storm is about to make landfall, they were just advising folks to NOT go outside when the eye pases over as the wind will suddenly pick up again in the opposite direction, the only problem (LOL) is the commercials are very southern...y'all knaw what I'mean? :lol:

Gulf Shores has 100+ mph right now, the Fire Dept there just had its roof blown off.I just heard about the fire station near Daphne, the water is blowing inbetween the wall panels, they are literally huddled next to the fire engines ready for anything.
Ivan is starting to jog east now more to the Fla coastline, its 135mph constant winds. A homeowner in a brick home in Spanish Cove is starting to lose their roof.

Maria

Ever been in the eye of a hurricane? It´s sooo calmed... so quiet... so scary... then all of a sudden, it all starts all over, but in the opposite direction and very strong. Definitely, don´t go out then... it´s not over yet, the other half is coming!

Stay safe you all in suffering Ivan now... :(

Mr D

I was on Galveston Island in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia was approaching and then the next day when the eye passed over Houston, I know what its like!

Hello Maria. I see its almost the 16th, Independance Day for you?

Maria

Mr D said:
I was on Galveston Island in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia was approaching and then the next day when the eye passed over Houston, I know what its like!

Hello Maria. I see its almost the 16th, Independance Day for you?
I experienced Gilbert and Isidore, both category 5... scary... ;)

THREAD DRIFT ALERT

Yes, the celebrations started at 11pm with our president ringing the Independence bell in National Palace in the Zocalo of Mexico City, followed by fireworks and a festival that it´s being transmitted live now on Galavision, for those who have it. ;)

Mr D

Pensacola is now getting a major impact of the storm according to a caller, Perdido Pass is going to get the strongest part of the storm the northeast quadrant. I'm still listening to the ClearChannel live broadcast, weird me being in Alaska and hearing it live.

StormAlert Network is where I have the live broadcasts, its still on strong with callers and up to the minute news.

Mr D

Its reported landfall will occur between Gulf Shores and Orange Beach very soon around 2am local time, high tide for that area was 12:35am (an hour ago) so the storm surge is at least 16 feet.

pinkrose

I hope that Kadee and the others who decided to ride out the stom near the coast are doing ok.

We are beginning to get Ivan here. The eye is projected to pass right over where I live today (Shelby County). Here's the latest from our local weather...

2 AM CDT FAST FACTS ON HURRICANE IVAN:
POSITION: Latitude 30.2 N, Longitude 87.8W
Very near the Alabama Coast
MOVEMENT: Just East of North 13 mph
MAX SUSTAINED WIND: 130 MPH...gradual weakening expected
LOWEST PRESSURE: 943 millibars, 27.85 inches

LATEST WATCHES/WARNINGS
A hurricane warning is now in effect from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL including New Orleans and Lake Ponchartrain. A hurricane watch is in effect from Morgan City to west of Grand Isle in Louisiana. A tropical storm warning is in effect from Intracoastal City, LA to west of Grand Isle and east of Apalachicola to Yankeetown in Florida.

HERE IS THE LATEST ON HURRICANE IVAN AT 2 AM CDT...
The eye of Hurricane Ivan is passing over southern Baldwin County Alabama. The eye made landfall just after 1 am between Fort Morgan and Gulf Shores.

A gradual weakening is not expected since the center of the hurricane is over land. Top winds were 135 mph just before landfall, but are starting to decrease. Hurrricane force winds will extend inland near 150 miles, however. This means sustained hurricane force winds may reach inland as far as Bibb County. Hurricane force gusts will occur nearly all the way across the state.

A new Tornado Watch has been issued for much of Central and South Alabama, Central Georgia and the Florida Panhandle. It goes until 10 a.m. There have already been two tornado fatalities on Panama City Beach as a swarm of three tornadoes touched down. Additional tornadoes touched down in Southwest Georgia. Tornadoes are gong to be a huge problem with Ivan as it moves into Alabama overnight tonight and during the day on Thursday.

Mr D

I just heard again the reports coming in, the eye made landfal just a little while ago, winds are still sustained at 135mph, a hospital lost its roof, callers are looking outside right in the middle of the eye where the winds are relatvely calm.

Mr D

Pensacola was hit by several tornadoes, a local police officer called it "a war zone" the sky was green with the colors of exploding transformers.

pinkrose

It's starting to get bad here...

DANGEROUS SEVERE WEATHER SITUATION ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA...

A strong feeder band from Hurricane Ivan is rotating northward through Central Alabama. Several cells are showing rotation in this band and tornado warnings are in effect. Please tune to ABC3340 for the very latest information. It will be imposible to relay these information in real time basis on this website. This will be a day where there will be numerous short lived tornadoes associated with feeder bands. Please be in a safe place today. There may not be time to hear a warning.

In addition, winds are going to increase throughout the day, reaching tropical storm force in Central Alabama this morning. Sustained hurricane force winds will push as far inland as Bibb County. These winds can produce strcutural damage, but an even greater threat will be from toppled trees. Stay inside, in a safe place. Get out of mobile homes.

A tornado watch remains in effect for South Central Alabama. Additional watches will be required as the storm's circulation continues northward.

If Kadee doesn't check in before too long, I will give her a call to check on her.

Tim G

Hurricane Ivan Leaves At Least 8 Dead In Florida

UPDATED: 10:50 am EDT September 16, 2004

PANAMA CITY, Fla. -- Hurricane Ivan killed at least eight people in the Florida Panhandle as it came ashore Thursday in nearby Alabama, its tornadoes and heavy winds ripping roofs off buildings and toppling trees. The storm's towering waves battered the state's northern Gulf Coast and its torrential rain and strong storm surge caused flooding inland.

Thousands of Panhandle residents evacuated to shelters to get away from the shore and escape Ivan's 130-mph winds. Many were from low-lying areas under mandatory evacuation orders as the state faced its third hurricane in a month. Ivan knocked out power to at least 338,000 homes and businesses in eight Panhandle counties, including a Pensacola shelter with 1,700 people. Search and rescue teams were planning to head to affected areas to scour rubble for any dead or injured. A portion of a bridge on the major east-west highway through the Panhandle was washed away.

Tornado warnings were issued Thursday morning throughout much of northwest Florida.
"It was a very long night for our neighbors to the west of us," Gov. Jeb Bush said. "My heart goes out to the people who have lost a lot."

Five people were killed Wednesday night when a tornado tore through the Calhoun County town of Blountstown about 40 miles northeast of Panama City, according to a police dispatcher. Two other people were killed by a tornado in Panama City earlier Wednesday. An 8-year-old girl was killed early Thursday in Milton, about 20 miles northeast of Pensacola, when a tree fell on her family's mobile home.
"We heard banging and crashing all night long," said Mark Sigler, who rode out the storm in a reinforced home on Pensacola Beach.

Ivan's 2 a.m. CDT landfall was about 40 miles west of Pensacola near the coastal Alabama town of Gulf Shores. That put the Panhandle on the east side of Ivan's eye, where winds, storm surge and flooding are the fiercest and conditions are ripe for tornadoes. Ivan weakened as it moved inland, with winds of 115 mph about two hours after it hit land. Its wind speed had dropped to 80 mph at 7 a.m. CDT.
Two people were killed and more than 200 homes were damaged as at least five tornadoes roared through Bay County, authorities said. Rescuers dug through rubble Wednesday night but found no one trapped underneath, county spokeswoman Catherine McNaught said.

National Hurricane Center forecasters said land east of where Ivan's eye passed was experiencing storm surge of 10 to 16 feet, topped by large and dangerous battering waves.
We've had calls from folks saying, 'The water is rising, can you come get me?' Unfortunately we can't send anybody out," Escambia County emergency management spokeswoman Sonya Smith said early Thursday.
The tornadoes damaged homes, a downtown firehouse, and a restaurant in Panama City Beach and overturned cars. They also knocked down a billboard and shredded the canopy of a gas station.

Nancy King, 77, was killed when a tornado demolished her three-bedroom home across East Bay from Tyndall Air Force Base northeast of Panama City, McNaught said. Another tornado at Panama City Beach killed John Martin, 84, who was checking his daughter's real estate business with his son. Martin's son ducked into another room when the tornado approached and was not injured, McNaught said.
Seven other people were taken to area hospitals with tornado-related injuries but none was considered critical, McNaught said.

The shelter at the Pensacola Civic Center had about four holes in its roof from where air vents were ripped off by the wind, said Sandie Aaron, regional general manager for the company that manages the arena. None of the 1,700 people staying there was hurt.
"It was scary. Because every time one of those suckers flew off the top of the roof it sounded like a bomb going off," she said.

In downtown Pensacola, parking areas surrounding the Pensacola News Journal were flooded and the water blocked its entrance before it eventually receded. Water seeped into the building about four blocks from Pensacola Bay, barely covering parts of the floor. Four hospitals in Escambia, which contains Pensacola, had some roof damage and broken windows, but no one was hurt, officials said. No other details were available. A portion of the Interstate 10 bridge over Escambia Bay was washed away.

In Fort Walton Beach, a nursing home lost its generator power and reported that six patients desperately needed oxygen. An emergency medical crew drove through the 90 mph winds to deliver portable oxygen tanks.
Seven business were destroyed or heavily damaged across Okaloosa County and Crestview Town Hall lost its roof.

A house destroyed by raging surf caused by Hurricane Ivan in seen in Harbour View, Jamaica, Monday, September 13, 2004.
At least two tornadoes ripped through Jackson County near the towns of Cypress and Marianna, causing extensive damage to at least two main mobile home parks, trees and power lines and some minor injuries, said county spokeswoman Laura Mager. The county borders Alabama in the central Panhandle.

One of the Jackson County tornadoes damaged the perimeter fence and other sections of a federal prison in Marianna, knocking out the facility's power, said federal prison spokesman Dan Dunne. Inmates were locked down in their housing unit and no security problems or injuries were reported. The prison was temporarily operating under generator power, officials said.
About a dozen homes built on stilts in the coastal community of Cape San Blas were swept into the ocean as waves up to 25 feet eroded the sand beneath their foundations, Gulf County officials said. The small peninsula about 35 miles southeast of Panama City is known as a scenic vacation and resort destination with 200 to 300 beachfront homes.

Roads were under water in several parts of Walton and Gulf counties, and access to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, one of the state's most picturesque beaches, was cut off.
Three mobile homes were burned down in two separate fires at Reid's Trailer Court in Panama City Beach, said deputy fire chief David Humphreys. No injuries were reported, and the fire's cause was being investigated.

At 7 a.m. CDT Thursday, Ivan was centered about 90 miles west-southwest of Montgomery, Ala., and moving slightly east of north at 17 mph. Its top sustained winds weakened to around 80 mph, down from about 130 mph at landfall at Category 3 strength. A hurricane warning was in effect from the mouth of the Pearl River in Mississippi to Apalachicola, but a tropical storm warning in place from east of Apalachicola to Yankeetown was canceled.
Forecasters warned of hurricane-force winds, 74 mph or above, up to 50 miles away from the center as it hits land, extending well inland Thursday.

Ivan crashed ashore as Floridians still dealt with destruction across a wide swath of southwest Florida and the central Atlantic coast. Hurricanes Charley and Frances caused billions in damage and were blamed for more than 50 deaths statewide.

Frances was a slow-moving storm that covered much of the peninsula after it struck the state's central Atlantic coast Sept. 5, while Charley was a faster, stronger, more compact storm when it blasted into the state's southwest coast Aug. 13. About 160,000 customers were without power in the state from Ivan and Frances.

More trouble lingered out in the Atlantic. Hurricane Jeanne strengthened from a tropical storm Thursday in the Caribbean as it moved westward across the north coast of Puerto Rico and headed to the Dominican Republic. At 8 a.m., it was about 900 miles east-southeast of Miami with 80 mph winds and could be near Florida's east coast as early as the weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom