The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Tim G

Hurricane Prompts State Of Emergency In Florida, Georgia

Frances Packing Winds Of 140 MPH

UPDATED: 8:13 PM EDT September 1, 2004

MIAMI -- Just weeks after Hurricane Charley devastated parts of the state, another Category 4 hurricane is bearing down on Florida.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue have declared a state of emergency in their states as Frances roars toward the Bahamas and the southeastern U.S. coast.

Bush has activated the National Guard and advised hundreds of thousands of people to get ready to evacuate.

Frances is a Category 4 hurricane -- the second worst class -- packing winds of 140 mph. Forecasters say it could get stronger before making landfall in the United States.

As Frances closes in on the Bahamas, it's expected to fluctuate in intensity and could become a Category 5 storm with winds of 156 mph or higher.

The Florida evacuation orders apply to 500,000 or more people living in coastal areas on Florida's east coast. Authorities want them out of their homes by the middle of Thursday afternoon.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush urged residents to "take the time today" to get ready for Hurricane Frances, even though the storm forecasters don't expect Frances to hit anywhere from south Florida to South Carolina until late Friday or early Saturday.

Bush said folks should start protecting their homes and gassing up their cars. He's also asking tourists to postpone Labor Day trips to the state.

A hit from Frances would make it the worst double hurricane strike on one state in at least a century.

It's reminiscent of Labor Day 1935, when a particularly brutal storm hit the Florida Keys. The National Hurricane Center lists the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 as the most intense hurricane to ever hit the United States. It caused more than 400 deaths.

Palm Beach County officials have ordered the evacuation of 300,000 coastal residents, effective Thursday afternoon, ahead of Hurricane Frances.

Martin County plans to urge up to 7,500 residents to evacuate low-lying areas starting at noon Thursday. More evacuation orders are likely along Florida's East Coast. NASA said the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral will be closed Thursday and Friday to allow workers time to board up their homes and evacuate if necessary.

National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield says he can't emphasize enough how powerful Frances is, adding he doesn't see any sign of weakening.

Folks already are preparing. About two dozen people lined up Wednesday morning at a Home Depot store in suburban Miami to buy such things as generators, tarps, flashlights and batteries. The store's assistant manager said as fast as they come in, people are buying them.

State officials are worried about finding hotel rooms and shelters if people have to be evacuated. Many hotel rooms in the southern half of the state are occupied by people left homeless by Charley and emergency workers from other states. But Federal Emergency Management Agency officials say they're ready if Frances hits.

They have cancelled school for Broward county and Miami-Dade county (which is were I am) public schools for thursday and friday. Shutters are up, I live in Miami, I am very afraid, Hurricanes can cause major damage, I was very young during Andrew and saw what damage could be done, and Charley was also very rough. Hopefully everything will go OK, for everyone that is being threatened by the hurricane. I hope you all take care, I'll pray for all of you. Please be aware and stay informed! I hope everything goes well!

patelaine1953

The following is from my local news up here in Boston, MA:

"Frances is a Category 4 hurricane -- the second worst class -- packing winds of 140 mph. Forecasters say it could get stronger before making landfall in the United States.As Frances closes in on the Bahamas, it's expected to fluctuate in intensity and could become a Category 5 storm with winds of 156 mph or higher."

I hope is doesn't get to a Cat. 5 but everyone keep an eye on this thing. She's a big one.

Everyone stay safe!

DDuckFan130

PirateJessica20 said:
They have cancelled school for Broward county and Miami-Dade county (which is were I am) public schools for thursday and friday. Shutters are up, I live in Miami, I am very afraid, Hurricanes can cause major damage, I was very young during Andrew and saw what damage could be done, and Charley was also very rough. Hopefully everything will go OK, for everyone that is being threatened by the hurricane. I hope you all take care, I'll pray for all of you. Please be aware and stay informed! I hope everything goes well!
And yet, my school (FIU) is still open. We have work to do, and the last thing I want to think about right now is my SECOND day of school. I've only been once so hopefully they close it for tomorrow.

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Intermediate Advisory

Frances continuing to lash the turks and caicos islands, now heading for the southeastern bahamas,

A hurricane warning is now in effect for all of the bahamas and for the turks and caicos islands.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion. A hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area, generally within 36 hours.

A hurricane watch will likely be issued for portions of the Florida east coast later this evening.

At 8 pm ast, 0000z, the eye of hurricane frances was located by satellite and reconnaissance aircraft near latitude 22.3 north, longitude 71.4 west or about 40 miles, 65 km, north-northeast of the grand caicos island. This is also about 625 miles, 1005 km east-southeast of the southeastern Florida coast.

Frances is moving toward the west-northwest near 14 mph, 22 km/hr. A gradual turn to the northwest and a decrease in forward speed are expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of the hurricane will be moving near or over the southeastern bahamas tonight and Thursday.

Frances remains a category four hurricane on the saffir-simpson hurricane scale with maximum sustained winds of near 140 mph, 220 km/hr, with higher gusts, recently reported by an air force reserve reconnaissance aircraft. Fluctuations in intensity are possible during the next 24 hours.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 80 miles, 130 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 185 miles, 295 km. During the past few hours, grand turk island reported a sustained wind of 79 mph, 125 km/hr, as the eye of frances passed to the north. Some damage to trees and roofs have been also been reported on the island.

The estimated minimum central pressure based on reconnaissance aircraft reports remains at 938 mb, 27.70 inches.

Rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches, locally higher, are possible in association with frances.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 10 to 15 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected in the bahamas near the eye of frances.

Repeating the 8 pm ast position, 22.3 n, 71.4 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 14 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 140 mph. Minimum central pressure, 938 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

NemoRocks78

Seized
DDuckFan130 said:
And yet, my school (FIU) is still open. We have work to do, and the last thing I want to think about right now is my SECOND day of school. I've only been once so hopefully they close it for tomorrow.

Hmmm.....my sister attends Nova Southeastern, and they are closed tomorrow and Friday. Where exactly is FIU?

Tim G

Evacuations For Central Florida

BREVARD COUNTY:

Mandatory evacuation for residents living on barrier islands,
low-lying areas (including Merritt Island)
and in mobile/manufactured homes by 2 p.m. Thursday.

The Mom

Premium Member
NSCMC said:
So I mostly need advice from you locals - should we see if we can stay an extra day (I'm thinking that's unlikely) or should we risk driving Friday or Saturday? Should we go home a different route (final destination Fayetteville NC on I-95)?? Or is my best option to leave here Thursday. I-75 to I-10?? It's not usual for me to be so indecisive. If I hadn't heard all the WDW resorts were booked for this weekend I might just try to stay on-site till Monday.

If you leave on Thursday, that would work. On Friday, IF they order evacuation of JAX beaches, I-10 will only allow traffic going west, away from I-95.

There is a back way out of Kissimmee. There's a way to pick up 17N. I remember going through Howey-in-the-Hills, and Tavares. Then you head up through Paltaka, and onward to Jacksonville. You end up being on I-10 for about 3 mins, and then to 95N. You might be detoured at that point, but you're not very far from 95. It takes longer under normal circumstances, but might be OK. I'll send you a PM with my phone # in case it looks like you can't get beyond JAX.

DDuckFan130 said:

I feel your pain. I stupidly wnet to FIU, when they were open during the no name storm a few years back, and no one was there, and my car slid from side to side on the Turnpike. Additionally, I am a teacher now in Dade County, and they have to report tomorrow as well.

The size paired with the strength of this storm is what makes it so ominous. This morning a weatherman was prediciting 20 hours of hurricane force winds due to the size. Add to that the fact that those winds expand out 80 miles from the eye all around and the storm really isn't moving very fast and we are in for a long couple of days. I have lived in Central Florida my entire life and have never really been this nervous about one headed this way. I believe the projected tracks are all so vague because of what happened two and a half weeks ago. They don't want to commit to a storm track because they really don't know where it's going to wind up going.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
80 miles!?!?! I thought it was only 60...

let's see. That's 160 miles outward...

Holy freakin' crap....

If you're in FLA, you're dead. Geez...

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Hey, I am a Floridian. And I didn't mean it that way, I meant that no matter where you live in FLA, you will feel this storm. I didn't really mean that you'd die. I'm sorry, but I can't write very well. :(

MsSnuzi

PhotoDave219 said:
Easy folks, there's a lotr of us under stress at the moment.
Yep, I agree. It's coming too soon, no time to recoup. We are all worried about you. Don't take any chances, stay safe.

FutureCEO

If a storm that size and that strength came up the Mid Atalantic/New England coast you can say goodbye to everything but thank god its not and pray for all floridans especially to who had to put up with charlie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom