The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

barnum42

417 or I4?

If my flight does land on Saturday afternoon, it's a fair bet that either way there will be a bit of rain during my drive from Sanford to 192.

Last time I drove along 417 to avoid Friday rush hour traffic, but I recall that a lot of 417 is very exposed. What is the local’s opinion of the best route in bad weather – I4 or 417?

DDuckFan130

I live in Kendall (pretty close to Homestead) and my house is right by a canal. I substituted today at an elementary school by my house and notices were sent home to the parents that for now all schools in Dade were open until further notice. My school (FIU) hasn't announced anything either. Basically we have to watch the news. We went shopping yesterday. Don't know if we have everything that we need but the shopping will continue and my mom will continue to bring in supplies from her job that we can use. Hope it all turns out for the best

Tim G

barnum42 said:
If my flight does land on Saturday afternoon, it's a fair bet that either way there will be a bit of rain during my drive from Sanford to 192.I drove along 417 to avoid Friday rush hour traffic, but I recall that a lot of 417 is very exposed. What is the local’s opinion of the best route in bad weather – I4 or 417?
Please take in account that all the flights to Orlando could (and probably WILL) delayed, or diverted to an other airport, one that's not in the path...
To be shure, check departure times just before leaving for your airport.

barnum42

Corrus said:
Please take in account that all the flights to Orlando could (and probably WILL) delayed, or diverted to an other airport, one that's not in the path...
To be shure, check departure times just before leaving for your airport.
I suspect they will take off and then decide an hour or two out whether to land or not. I'm waiting to hear back from the airline what their contingency plans are.

I just thought I'd ask the question in case I am in the position of having to drive late Saturday afternoon

I'm happy because Broward schools are closed tomorrow and Friday so my family and I might be in Orlando tomorrow night and then we'll see from there. I'm hoping we can make a vacation out of it. :sohappy:

prberk

Best wishes for everyone involved. Not just in Florida, but the whole Southeast. It is a pretty sizable storm, and with the saturated land that we all have, it is likely to take down trees from Florida to many states well North of it.

Don't forget to let us all hear from you afterward if you are in an affected area -- as soon as you have power and access to a computer again...

Paul

Tim G

Pet Safety Tips For Weather Emergency !!!

Why Pet Owners Must Plan

Public shelters for people will not accept pets.

If you wait until the last minute to evacuate, you may have no choice but to go to a public shelter.

If such a situation should force you to leave pets behind, please prepare your children and other family members for the fact that their pets may not survive or may be irretrievably lost before you are able or permitted to return to your home.

There is no way to know how long it will be before you are permitted back after the storm. Frightened animals quickly slip out open doors, broken windows or other damaged areas of your home opened by the storm.

Lost pets are likely to die from exposure, starvation, predators, contaminated food and water and on the road where they can endanger others.

Even normally friendly animals of different species should not be allowed together unattended since the stress of the storm may cause distinct behavior changes.

REMEMBER: If you must evacuate, then conditions are not only unsafe for you but unsafe for other living creatures as well!

Develop Your Written Plan Now

A written DISASTER PLAN will help you and your pets survive.

Identify your evacuation area and level to determine if and when you would have to evacuate.

If you are located in a storm surge flood plain, the decision to evacuate will depend on the category of the storm. Always prepare for one category higher than the one being forecast. A hurricane often increases in strength just before making landfall.

Your goal should be to evacuate to a safe location.

Friends or relatives in a safe area are your best choice.

If they are unable to house both you and your pets, arrange shelter for your pets at a veterinarian or kennel close to your evacuation location so that you will be able to have as much contact with them as possible. You and your pets will fare better if you are together.

If you plan to go to a motel, determine in advance whether pets are welcome and what, if any, special rules are applicable.

Make plans well in advance of the hurricane season for cows, horses, sheep, etc.

If You Must Evacuate

Leave Early!

An unnecessary trip is far better than waiting too long to leave safely!

All animals should have secure carriers or collapsible cages for large dogs, as well as collars, leashes, rabies tags and owner ID tags.

Carriers should be large enough for the animals to stand comfortably and turn around. ID must be on the carrier.

Train your pets to become familiar with their carriers ahead of time. Then the carrier will be a secure and comforting refuge if the animal is required to live in it for days-even weeks-after the storm.

Before hurricane season begins on June 1 of each year, make sure all your pets have current immunizations and take these records with you if you must evacuate. Photograph each of your pets prior to June 1 every year and include these pictures with your pets' immunization records.

Your pet survival kit should include ample food (at least 2 weeks supply), water/food bowls, medications, specific care instructions, newspapers and plastic trash bags for handling waste, cat litter, brushes, combs and other hygiene items, toys and other comfort items, muzzles if necessary.

A manual can opener is a necessity.

All belongings should be marked with identification.

If you are not evacuating your pets to a commercial animal facility, you should also include first aid supplies for your pets in the survival kit.

Ask your vet for an emergency care pamphlet for animals.

If you plan to shelter your pets at a kennel or clinic, call before evacuating to determine if space is available. Some kennels will accept reservations early with prepaid fees.

Allow sufficient time to travel from the kennel to your evacuation location after making certain that your animals are secure.

If you have snakes or other exotic pets, contact local pet stores or zoological gardens, in a safe area, for assistance in sheltering your pet.

Again, be prepared to supply appropriate housing for the pet (not glass) and other supplies necessary to sustain the pet for at least 2 weeks.

The facility you choose should be operated by knowledgeable, capable staff and the location should be high, dry and of sturdy construction.

Throughout the evacuation and the storm, your pets will need reassurance from you.

Remain calm, keep as close to their normal routine as possible and speak to them regularly in a calm, reassuring voice.

If You Can Stay At Home

It is just as important to adequately plan for your pets even if you don't have to evacuate.

Carriers, collars with proper ID and leashes should be maintained for your pets at all times.

Your pets will be most comfortable and secure in their carriers in a safe area of your home until the storm has passed.

If they are not secured during the storm and your house is damaged, your pets may escape and become disoriented, since normal landmarks and scent trails could be obliterated.

If your pets become lost, proper ID will ensure their return to you.

Place your pet food and medications in watertight containers in a cool, dry, dark place.

Store adequate water for your pet.

Your water source may become contaminated. (To purify water, add 2 drops of household bleach per quart of water, mix, seal tightly, let stand for 30 minutes before drinking.)

If you bring plants into the home before a storm, be careful not to allow pets access to them since many ornamental plants are poisonous.

After The Storm

Walk your pets on a leash until they become reoriented to their home.

CAUTION: Downed power lines and other debris pose real dangers to you and your pets.

Do not allow pets to consume food or water which may have become contaminated.

Be particularly careful in using candles or oil lamps around pets. Never leave them unattended.

When you know you have done everything you can do to protect all members of the family, disaster preparedness will give you tremendous peace of mind.

goofyfan13

Well, we just got the word over here at Embry-Riddle to get off campus by 12:00 tomorrow. We have been instructed to either head to the shelters, or out of the state. I heard that much of florida has also been adviced to evacuate. Heres to hoping I can get a plane ticket to Michigan. :brick:

The Mom

Premium Member
Thanks for thinking about our furry friends! Fortunately, I have cats, so it's not as difficult to keep them in. As I've stated before, we're staying put. My neighbor and I went over our plan, and we think we have as much as possible covered.

All schools are cancelled for Friday; some are cancelled tomorrow. I'm hoping that my husband's Friday PM clinic will be cancelled...he's at a satellite clinic about 20 mins away (normally) instead of downtown (5 mins away) I'm especially concerned, because almost all of the local hospitals are waterfront or in low lying areas!

Because my neighbor has a generator, he'll be able to run an A/C in their bedroom at night, and everyone can camp out. They have gas for cooking and hot water, and can run the well pump off of the generator to fill the hot water tank, and refill containers for flushing and washing.

I have a pantry full of canned goods, canned and boxed milk, crackers, etc. I plan on trying to buy fresh fruit and veggies tomorrow morning, and will try again early Sat. I refilled the wine rack and have a case of beer, so we won't be suffering too much. :animwink:

Just a hint for anyone looking for water...Office Depot and Staples usually have it in stock, along with paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.

Nicole

Okay guys, I'm at a loss for what to do. We are here on 192 (at Vacation Village at Parkway) and can only stay through Saturday (it's a time-share). To get home we usually go I-4 to I-95. I'm thinking Saturday is going to be a hideously bad day to be on the road (any road) and worried that the traffic will be bad Friday. We are toying with the idea of leaving Thursday but that breaks my heart because as it is I'm losing a couple of days anyway.

So I mostly need advice from you locals - should we see if we can stay an extra day (I'm thinking that's unlikely) or should we risk driving Friday or Saturday? Should we go home a different route (final destination Fayetteville NC on I-95)?? Or is my best option to leave here Thursday. I-75 to I-10?? It's not usual for me to be so indecisive. If I hadn't heard all the WDW resorts were booked for this weekend I might just try to stay on-site till Monday.

Gail Hayden

barnum42 said:
If my flight does land on Saturday afternoon, it's a fair bet that either way there will be a bit of rain during my drive from Sanford to 192.

Last time I drove along 417 to avoid Friday rush hour traffic, but I recall that a lot of 417 is very exposed. What is the local’s opinion of the best route in bad weather – I4 or 417?
417, exposed or not it is better than the traffic will be on I4.

Tim G

NSCMC said:
Me, my husband and our 4 year old.
Hang in there until thursday morning... (noon) check the latest weather report
Channel 6 or 9 or as long it's local... (it depends when and where it hits the coast) THEN decide...

Piebald

Well folks. We shuttered up and now we're getting the F out of here. This one definitely looks like a big one and I've been through Andrew and all of the other ones that have hit since I was born so we know not to stick around. I will pray for all of you and wish you the best. Much love.

-Piebald

Tim G

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 1, 7:49 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 40 miles, 65 km, North-Northeast of The Grand Caicos Island. This Is Also About 625 Miles, 1005 Km East-Southeast Of The Southeastern Florida Coast.
Lat/Long: 22.3N, 71.4W
Max Winds: 140 mph
Category: 4
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West-Northwest
Speed: 14 mph
Pressure: 27.70 inches
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom