The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

KevinPage

Can't those shlubs in Tampa get hit with this one? :D

If Orlando does get hit, look for a flying BEAR, much like the flying cow in the Twister movie. We all know WHO that is, don't we :lol: :lol: :lol:

*MichelleP*

I don't have a whole lot of info, but a coworker just called to tell me that Disney Dining just called and cancelled her Food and Wine ressies for this weekend. Her DH called AKL to check on their ressies, and AKL said they would most likely be cancelling those, too.

KevinPage

*MichelleP* said:
I don't have a whole lot of info, but a coworker just called to tell me that Disney Dining just called and cancelled her Food and Wine ressies for this weekend. Her DH called AKL to check on their ressies, and AKL said they would most likely be cancelling those, too.

Food and Wine Festival starts on October 1st. Maybe she was mistaken :confused:

Atta83

BwanaBob said:
FYI...EVERYONE does it!

More for holding gas for generators, chainsaws, and the like... not so much for cars.

Thought i would take a stab at it. I mean ya never know....... :drevil:

Thebriarpatch

On the phone with guest services now.... No priority seating or anything else has been cancelled at the present time. The official word is that they are monitoring the storm and normal cancellation policies apply.

*MichelleP*

Thebriarpatch said:
On the phone with guest services now.... No priority seating or anything else has been cancelled at the present time. The official word is that they are monitoring the storm and normal cancellation policies apply.

I wonder what she was referring to then, since she said dining called and cancelled her ressies...I will have to call her back and get it straight from her.

Thebriarpatch

Also guest services just told me they implemented their emergency cancellation policy as of right now... Cancellations allowed with no penalties.

Tim G

Daily Hurricane Francis Update

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 1, 1:46 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 60 miles, 85 km, east-northeast of grand turk island and 700 miles, 1125 km, East -Southeast of The Florida East Coast
Lat/Long: 21.8N, 70.4W
Max Winds: 140 mph
Category: 4
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West-Northwest
Speed: 15 mph
Pressure: 27.79 inches
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2055Frances-03.gif

Tim G

School Closures To Hurricane Frances
UPDATED:1:01 pm EDT September 1, 2004

<!--startindex-->

The following school closures have been announced for Central Florida.

• <!--» Brevard County: Closed Thursday and Friday -->Lake County: Closed Friday
  • Orange County: Closed Friday
  • Osceola County: Closed Friday
  • Volusia County: Closed Thursday and Friday

Tim G

Evacuations Expected For Parts Of Central Florida

MIAMI -- Tens of thousands of people were told Wednesday to get ready to evacuate as a powerful Hurricane Frances crept closer to Florida just weeks after Charley's swipe in what could be the worst double hurricane strike on one state in at least a century.
Generators were hefted off store shelves, along with water, canned goods and other emergency supplies as forecasters warned the core of the Category 4 storm with 140-mph top sustained winds was due near Florida's Atlantic coast late Friday or early Saturday. Charley left billions of dollars in damage and 27 people dead when it swept across the peninsula Aug. 13.

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is. If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it," National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said.

In Rockledge, about 45 miles southeast of Orlando, Brevard County plans to urge at least 50,000 residents to start evacuating mobile homes and barrier islands Thursday afternoon. In Stuart about 85 miles south, Martin County planned to urge up to 7,500 residents to evacuate low-lying areas starting at noon Thursday. More evacuation orders along Florida's east coast were possible.

The Kennedy Space Center planned to close Thursday and Friday to allow workers time to board up their homes and evacuate if necessary, NASA spokesman George Diller said. Helicopters and planes left Patrick Air Force Base. Craig Fugate, director of the state Division of Emergency Management, said steps were being taken to prepare for large-scale evacuations, including possibly reversing lanes of some highways to accommodate fleeing coastal residents. He said residents told to evacuate shouldn't try to drive hundreds of miles but should find a place just outside of the expected storm surge area.

Frances was nearing the Bahamas with steady strength Wednesday, but it was expected to fluctuate in intensity and could get stronger, forecasters said. The storm could hit anywhere from South Florida to South Carolina as early as late Friday.

Hurricane-force winds extended up to about 80 miles from Frances' center, making it about twice the width of Charley and increasing the possibility for damage, forecasters said.
"The lessons of these storms are that all the science in the world and all the technology in the world isn't going to be able to pinpoint exactly where the storm goes," Gov. Jeb Bush cautioned. He moved his office to the state emergency operations center, which was activated for yet another disaster response.

Records from the last century show no two Category 4 storms with winds of 131-155 mph hitting a state within weeks of each other, hurricane center meteorologist Rick Knabb said.
The last time two major hurricanes hit Florida in rapid succession was 1950. Hurricane Easy hit Tampa around Sept. 4 of that year and Hurricane King hit Miami six weeks later on Oct. 17. Charley left billions of dollars in damage and 27 people dead after it swept across the peninsula Aug. 13 less than three weeks ago.
Nancy Cuffaro, whose Port Charlotte home and pizza restaurant were damaged by Charley, said she was hoping Frances would spare the area still cleaning up and recovering emotionally.
"I know we can't withstand too much. I really don't know what to think here. I'm lost. It's starting to get to me," said Cuffaro, whose restaurant still didn't have electricity Wednesday.
With the memories of destruction so fresh, many people didn't need an official heads-up to begin preparing. About two dozen people lined up Wednesday morning at a Home Depot store west of Miami, waiting to pay for items such as generators, tarps, flashlights and batteries.

A Home Depot to the south in Florida City, ground zero during Hurricane Andrew 12 years ago, more than doubled its daily sales, ran out of generators and plywood and pushed $50,000 worth of lumber out the doors Tuesday, said Lisa Stiffler, assistant store manager.
"We are completely out of stock of plywood," she said Wednesday. "We are waiting on another truck. We have people since 5 a.m. waiting for generators and the plywood."
North Miami Beach resident Lorraine Lewis bought a small cooking stove in case of emergency but wasn't planning to stick around long enough to use it.
"I have water and plastic and a plane ticket," she said. She said she bought the ticket to New York on Wednesday, planned to cover her furniture with plastic and get out. "It will be too hot staying here without light for days."

At 2 p.m., Frances was centered about 60 miles east-northeast of Grand Turk Island southeast of the Bahamas and 700 miles east-southeast of Palm Beach. It was moving west-northwest at around 15 mph.
With landfall possible on the Atlantic Coast from one end of the state to the other, wary officials watched the clock and forecasts as they grew more precise. Some schools in coastal districts already decided to close Thursday and Friday.

Miami-Dade County, home to about 2.3 million people, would need about 24-36 hours to evacuate people in low-lying areas, emergency management spokesman Louie Fernandez said. The county's decision on evacuations would need to be made over the next day or so.
"We're planning for the worst and praying for the best," said Chip Patterson, Duval County's emergency preparedness division chief in Jacksonville. About 240,000 people living in low-lying evacuation zones need up to 22 hours to flee in the Jacksonville area.
Excess water was being released from the state's drainage canals, many of which were at high levels after Charley dumped heavy rains, water managers said.
State officials worried about finding hotel rooms and shelters for people who may need to evacuate. Many hotel rooms in the southern half of the state are occupied by people left homeless by Charley and out-of-state emergency workers. Some schools and community centers are still being used as shelters.
But Federal Emergency Management Agency officials said they were ready.
"We have all the operations, all the resources that we need to respond to a major emergency," said FEMA spokesman Justo Hernandez.
With top sustained winds of 145 mph, Charley destroyed or heavily damaged more than 30,000 homes and was blamed for 27 deaths. The storm cost insurers an estimated $7.4 billion damage to homes, businesses and personal possessions such as cars. It was the worst natural disaster to hit Florida since Andrew caused $15.5 billion in insured damage and killed 15 people.

Despite the losses from Charley, insurers should be able to weather another catastrophe without a slew of bankruptcies like those caused by Andrew, said Bob Hartwig, chief economist for the Insurance Information Institute. <!--stopindex-->

HinunterZuNich

Wow this is insane. It's good to see the state of Florida preparing even earlier and also the airlines for people who are visiting/leaving Florida. Just like when the last hurricane went through August 13, our hotel and airfare were able to change dates without penalty. It's definetly safer for people to delay their vacation so that roads and stores and whatever are available for people in Florida. I know people who visit WDW don't take up too much population, but any amount who delay their trip provide more food/ less traffic on roads for the people who live in the area to prepare.

Best of luck to everyone in Florida and those visiting.

peter11435

HinunterZuNich said:
Wow this is insane. It's good to see the state of Florida preparing even earlier and also the airlines for people who are visiting/leaving Florida. Just like when the last hurricane went through August 13, our hotel and airfare were able to change dates without penalty. It's definetly safer for people to delay their vacation so that roads and stores and whatever are available for people in Florida. I know people who visit WDW don't take up too much population, but any amount who delay their trip provide more food/ less traffic on roads for the people who live in the area to prepare.

Best of luck to everyone in Florida and those visiting.
Many in the area like myself will be evacuating to WDW.

I just got home and found out Im being evacuated. I was hoping I could just ride this one out like andrew, but I guess not.
Eveyone east of federal highway down by me is under a mandatory evacuation. Broward county schools are closed tomorrow and Friday.
The only real problem Im having right now is the fact that we have no shutters. A big chunk of my house is windows and we have nothing to protect them. On top of this we have no food, water, or flashlights. I stopped at target on my way home but all the supplies were gone.
Guys, we really have to pray for this one. It looks like south Florida hasnt gotten a hit like this since Andrew. I know it won't be direct, but it will probably get close.

NemoRocks78

Seized
I was informed at school today that we are closed tomorrow and Friday (West Palm Beach).

Anyways....looks like I won't be going to Orlando on Saturday. Hopefully this thing goes away by Sunday, because if it does I will probably be going then. However, if it's coming my way on Friday, I plan to document the entire thing. Photos, video, etc. I'm very interested in this type of stuff. Thankfully we do not have to board windows or anything because we have pre-installed hurricane shutters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom