The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Atta83

NSCMC said:
Just thought I'd let you all know that our little family made it home to NC safe and sound yesterday. We left our hotel at about 10 am, went west on 192 then up 27 to 301. We picked up I-10 at Jacksonville and then up I-95 the rest of the way home. After all my worries about traffic, there was NONE. Well - some - but no more than I'd expect any other day. Not once did we encounter any slow-downs, traffic was moving at or above the posted speed limit the whole time. Closer to Orlando we saw several homes with boarded up windows (though there were many many more that didn't have plywood or even tape!) but by the time we got to Ocala we didn't see any.

I know now how scary it is to be facing a big storm - I'm so glad we were able to get out (and thanks to the people who offered me alternate routes so we could avoid the traffic!) and our thoughts and prayers will be with all you still there in the path of Frances.

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound.!!!! :wave: :sohappy:

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Update
(South-East Florida Doppler Radar)

Image = Real Time

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 4, 4:38 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 50 miles, 80 km, East-Northeast of Palm Beach Florida.
Lat/Long: 26.9N, 79.3W
Max Winds: 105 mph
Category: 2
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: Between West And West-Northwest
Speed: 5 mph
Pressure: 28.41 inches
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2055Florida_anim14.gif

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Advisory Number 44

Issued at: 4:38 PM EDT 9/4/04

Large hurricane frances remains stalled,

A hurricane warning remains in effect for the east coast of Florida from Florida city northward to flagler beach, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning remains in effect for grand bahama, abaco, bimimi and the berry islands. At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the hurricane warning is discontinued for the remainder of the northwestern bahamas.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect from north of flagler beach to altamaha sound.

A hurricane watch remain in effect from north of flagler beach to fernandina beach.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the tropical storm warning has been extended northward along the Florida west coast to st. Marks. A tropical storm warning is now in effect for the Florida peninsula, on the west coast, from st. Marks southward around the southern end of the pennisula to just south of Florida city on the southeast coast, and for the middle and upper keys from south of Florida city to the seven mile bridge, and for Florida bay.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the tropical storm watch has been extended along the Florida panhandle from west of st. Marks to panama city.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the large eye of hurricane frances was located by radar and surface observations near latitude 26.9 north, longitude 79.3 west or about 50 miles, 80 km, east-northeast of palm beach Florida.

Frances has been nearly stationary for the past several hours but the hurricane should begin to move between the west and west-northwest near 5 mph, 7 km/hr soon. On this track, the strongest winds surrounding the large eye of frances will move across the Florida east coast tonight.

Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph, 165 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some strengthening is possible before landfall.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 75 miles, 120 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles, 335 km. Strong winds are already affecting the east coast of Florida and will be spreading inland, where warnings for hurricane and tropical storm force winds have been issued. For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 962 mb, 28.41 inches.

Storm surge flooding of 3 to 5 feet above normal tide levels can still be possible on the west side of islands of the northern bahamas.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 6 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, is expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall in Florida. Storm surge flooding of 5 feet above normal levels is expected in lake okeechobee. Along the southwest Florida coast, storm surge flooding of 1 to 3 feet above normal tide levels is expected south of the path of frances.

Storm total rainfall amounts could reach 20 inches in the northwest bahamas. Rainfall amounts of 8 to 12 inches, with locally higher amounts, to near 20 inches, are expected over the Florida peninsula in association with frances.

Isolated tornadoes are possible over portions of central and south florida tonight.

Swells generated by frances are affecting portions of the southeastern coast of the united states. These swells could cause dangerous surf and rip currents.

Repeating the 5 pm edt position, 26.9 n, 79.3 w. Expected movement, between west and west-northwest near 5 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 105 mph. Minimum central pressure, 962 mb.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 8 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 11 pm edt.

steineymel

Am I pushing it for Teusday?

Hi folks! My family and I are scheduled to fly into WDW on Teusday afternoon (9/7). Hopefully the hurricane will have passed by then but I have a bad feeling there will be massive aftermath damage and the parks might not be operating at 100% by then. Do you think we should reschedule or just wait until Sunday to decide?

Tim G

steineymel said:
Hi folks! My family and I are scheduled to fly into WDW on Teusday afternoon (9/7). Hopefully the hurricane will have passed by then but I have a bad feeling there will be massive aftermath damage and the parks might not be operating at 100% by then. Do you think we should reschedule or just wait until Sunday to decide?
When the Hurricane is gone... you should come... "Francis" makes landfall tomorow.. so thursday the weather should be back to normal... and the parks... and about the massive aftermath in the parks... it all depends... I think...

Conclusion... If the weather is ok ... Come to Orlando...Have your long awaited vacation... You'll get by!! :D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Corrus said:
I get Sound, but no picture... :D Just a black little screen :D

There is that message in the beginning... then after that.. give it time for the video to load... the stream seems to boot ya after a minute of watching though.

Kwit35

steineymel said:
We came down on Wed. never made it to Disney. We were supposed to be at FWL right now :mad: :mad: . We thought it would be better to stay at my parents house in Tampa. We did Bush Gardens instead, not the same.
From what I understand, there is another storm coming next weekend. So keep checking those weather reports.

DMC-12

Kwit35 said:
From what I understand, there is another storm coming next weekend. So keep checking those weather reports.

Tropical Storm Ivan is following the same Path as Frances is.

Atta83

There might be a chance that Ivan takes more of a southern path which could mean he could come into the gulf.......

The_CEO

steineymel said:

Hi! Welcome to the boards!

I would wait until Sunday or even Monday to make a call. The hurricane right now is moving VERY slow and could take 48 hours to cross Florida. So just wait it out and hope for the best.

speck76

DMC-12 said:
Tropical Storm Ivan is following the same Path as Frances is.
Oh please don't start that.

Most hurricanes this time of year originate from that area, but even a subtle change in a weather pattern can throw one way or another.

DMC-12

speck76 said:
Oh please don't start that.

Most hurricanes this time of year originate from that area, but even a subtle change in a weather pattern can throw one way or another.

Start what? :veryconfu

I just the most recent plot on TV..... thats all I was saying... I know very well that it can shift. :hammer:

speck76

DMC-12 said:
Start what? :veryconfu

I just the most recent plot on TV..... thats all I was saying... I know very well that it can shift. :hammer:

It is much further south than Frances ever was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom