The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

cindy_k

The Mom

Premium Member
*MichelleP* said:
Some of the people on the local news are talking like it has already happened!
I think the shock factor of what recently happened is really exacerbating the whole thing. Like PhotoDave219 said, it is days away from doing anything!

You're absolutely right!

HOWEVER, a week before (or actually, at the start of each hurricane season) is when you should start thinking about the "what ifs." Everyone should have an emergency plan worked out, including one contact person out of the area.

There were people who were hit by Charley who were SURPRISED by the storm; they claim that they didn't know it was coming. Yes, it was predicted to hit Tampa directly, but Tampa is less than 100 miles from where it actually made landfall. As I already stated, foreknowledge isn't really going to minimize property damage, but it might save lives.

patelaine1953

According to NOAA's 5 day estimation, Frances looks to be aiming for the Bahamas which Charley totally missed. I would think the east coast of Florida from the tip up would likely be the next target after that. I can't see this one curving under Florida and coming back in toward the Gulf coast. My one big wish is for the tropics to be fairly clear by the middle of Sept. Saying that, TD#7 is out in the Atlantic just off of South Carolina and that will ride up the east coast to New England. I try to check NOAA's website every few days to see what's going on out there. Great site!

Debbie

This storm is being watched carefully here. Many feel that we are due for the 'big one'. And being five feet below sea level only makes matters worse. It is on a path similar to Hurricane Andrew.
The minute a storm gets close to the Gulf; I stock up on can food, batteries and have the vehicles checked out. If we have to evacuate; one cannot wait until the day before to see if their vehicle can make the trip outrunning a Cat3 or above storm. We have a plan as to the route we're going to take and where we might land to ride the storm out. Believe it or not; we have family and friends who are depending on US to lead the way, should this happen.
Around this time of year; we also try not to stock our freezers up with costly meat and seafood. That way, should something happen; we wouldn't have to deal with tossing spoiled food out because of five days of power outages.

Disneydreaming

Ugh, I am planning on flying out with my kids next Saturday Sept. 4 -7 for a few days at WDW, but I am really going to have to watch this storm, whether it stays in the Atlantic or heads to the Gulf of Mexico. At home here we live on the water by Lake Pontchartrain north of New Orleans, and our home has flooded previously due to tidal surge. My elderly mother lives with me and will be staying behind on this trip to take care of our cats and dogs. I wouldn't want to leave her stranded with this major storm and all those animals, as we would be under a mandatory evacuation. Hope Francis just stays in the Atlantic and leaves Florida and the Gulf Coast alone. I am starting to feel this trip is doomed.

PhotoDave219

Obviously the storm requires monitoring. Lord knows the Hurricane Prediction Center didnt anticipate the turn of charley or was able to catch it in time. If that bermuda high stays in place, it could take a path similar to andrew, with the storm unable to turn north.

If the high moves out and you get some upper level winds that are on the back side of that higth, combined with a low to the storms west, it would turn north simiolar to isabelle. (Which hit my house. Went right OVER my house. Thankfully i was at WDW at the time)

ll in all, nobody knows what the bloddy monkey this is going to do. Time to go to home depot, replentish the plywood from the last storm and double check teh provisions. No need to panic, yet.

Legacy

Ah... just in time for me to come home Labor Day weekend and celebrate my 21st birthday. That would be phenominal.

patelaine1953

NOAA is still showing Frances aiming for the Bahamas which were never hit by Charley at all. I have friends who were in the Bahamas and they said they had beautiful weather but it was a little windy because of Charley.

goofyfan13

Well, this could be my first Hurricane, seeing as I lived up north for 17 years, and now that I'm starting school tomorrow in Daytona Beach, I'm keeping a close eye on this one too. Hopefully it doesn't hit us, because my campus is still recovering from Charley. Its a mess over here, and the last thing we need is another one. :brick:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
At least I'm scheduled to be in Orlando when this guy hits. If he's coming to West Palm or near it, they're bound the cancel school, which gives me some free time at the parks. :)

Pat X

Need advice

My wife and I are scheduled to arrive on Thurs and depart on Monday. We are prepared to reschedule our trip if necessary, but we really don't want to!

We are thinking of waiting until Weds. to determine whether we will go or not.

The latest map shows it missing FL, but sometimes these storms are so large, it doesn't matter.

What do you think we should do? :confused: :veryconfu

Disneydreaming

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200406_model.html

This is a link to the forecast models. Its looking good at this point that Francis will stay off the Florida penninsula. We are flying into Orlando early Saturday morning, about 9:30 am. Here's hoping that Francis stays far enough out into the Atlantic so our flight doesn't get delayed!! My kids and I plan on having a great time in our Mickey ponchos, regardless of how wet it gets.

Tim G

Pat X said:
My wife and I are scheduled to arrive on Thurs and depart on Monday. We are prepared to reschedule our trip if necessary, but we really don't want to!

We are thinking of waiting until Weds. to determine whether we will go or not.

The latest map shows it missing FL, but sometimes these storms are so large, it doesn't matter.

What do you think we should do? :confused: :veryconfu
Hurrycane is expected friday along the bahama coast (it doesn't seem to hit land)
Although it's a category 4 it moves very slow at the moment... so IMO you wouldn't be in much trouble...

2055Frances-01.gif

chancellor

Keep in mind, that at 5 days, the hurricane forecast has a margin of error of 300 miles. It's just too early to tell. They kept telling us Charley was going to come right up Tampa Bay until about 5 hours before it turned towards Punta Gorda.

If you do end up in WDW during the storm, all indications are that they have a very good hurricane plan. The parks were only closed for half a day, and they never lost power, even though Charley came right up I-4.

P.S. - I agree it looks like if it hits Florida, it won't be until late Sunday/early Monday. It all depends on when that turn to the north happens.....

kbmb

chancellor said:
Keep in mind, that at 5 days, the hurricane forecast has a margin of error of 300 miles. It's just too early to tell. They kept telling us Charley was going to come right up Tampa Bay until about 5 hours before it turned towards Punta Gorda.

If you do end up in WDW during the storm, all indications are that they have a very good hurricane plan. The parks were only closed for half a day, and they never lost power, even though Charley came right up I-4.

P.S. - I agree it looks like if it hits Florida, it won't be until late Sunday/early Monday. It all depends on when that turn to the north happens.....

I agree with chancellor, please keep in mind when looking at maps like this: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/301453W5.gif to realize that the solid black line in the middle is not the exact path. Alot of times I also read the discussion from the forecasters from the main page: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Let's all watch this one closely because it's forecast to possibly get stronger and could get really close to Florida.

-k

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom