THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

TheOneVader

I think the metal rails compliment the 21st century approach to The Land. About the only thing I wish would've been carried over was a bit more blue on the walls. But nothing to overbearing and enclosing like the old Land. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the previous Land. But compared to the current version, it was dark and enclosed. The current version is open, fresh, exciting, cool, and... Uh... I've run out of adjectives...

Captain Hank

Wow, miss a weekend, miss a lot! I was on a weekend long Ornithology field trip, so I just was able to see the photos. I really like the new open and airy design of the pavillion. I think they did an awesome job with the outside. I was somewhat worried about replacing the sign, but I love how it compliments the mosaic. I also really like the new landscaping, it adds a lot. As for the new logo--meh. It works, but it's not very eye-catching. I'll miss the plant symbol, and I'm definately going to do some searching during my next trip and see if it's been subtly worked in somewhere.

Overall, I do like what they did inside. I will miss the peacefulness of the old design, but after a side-by-side comparison of the old and new design scheme, I think I just might favor the new one. Compared to the new one, the old colors look rather dark. I do think it was an appropriate color scheme for the pavillion, but I think this one is just as appropriate. I would describe the new colors as refreshing--in a good way. My one major peeve is the lack of focus on the ground floor. The balloons continue to do a great job of directing attention to the center of the atrium, but when one looks down, there isn't anything in particular to look at. In fact, I think the curved nature of the seating areas confuse the eye more than anything. The new abstract sculptures do an okay job of this, but not nearly as well as one unifying structure.

(Danger: now entering a nit-pick rant)
One other place I think they could have done differently would be the paint job on the second floor. When the overall color scheme of The Land was more uniform, the solid colors worked (though I always thought they were missing "something." Now, with all of the excitement on the ground floor, the solid colors stand out as being overwhelmingly bland. I understand that they're trying to focus attention to the center of the pavilion, but I think even a subtle color gradient would add a little aesthetic interest to this area.
(End nit-pick rant)

The metal railings don't bother me all that much, though I agree with the statement that a wood border would be nice on them. An interesting place where wood did show up was in the travel agency area. This was the area that I was most worried about, but I actually think they pulled it off well. Could they have done the Land to Soarin' transition differently? Yes. Does this one work reasonably well? Actually, I think so. The way they used the paneling makes it look a lot less industrial than it could. I don't know if Soarin' is more out of place in The Land than Take Flight/Dreamflight was in Tomorrowland. And yet, somehow, they both work(ed).

Overall, I think I'm far more in favor of this re-do than I am against. It's obvious that they had an ample budget for it, and invested quite a bit of thought. Bravo!

Christina

I for one find the colors to be too bright and out there... I liked the more earthy tones of the old land better. And it does kinda remind me of a mall... but hey at least the balloons are back. I guess. :confused:

General Grizz

Original Poster
Here's what I promised...

Complete version available at: http://www.d-troops.com/articles.php?id=485

PS: This article is NOT about "Soarin'." "Soarin'" will have its own separate article. :)

Living with the "New" Land
New Style, Different Message?
By Captain Buzzy, D-Troops Staff

Most of us have witnessed The Land’s “complete makeover” through the photos on D-Troops and are still processing the images, trying to form a true opinion. Our first reaction is, “Wow!” The pavilion seems airy and open, with attractive and sleek designs and logos. A bright, modern atmosphere inhabits the nearly twenty-five year old pavilion, giving it a fresh, contemporary feel. Have the Disney designers been successful in capturing the spirit of The Land and making it accessible to all guests? Let’s think about this question as we take a tour through the pavilion, looking at some new features that you may not have noticed.

post-5-1113791432.jpg

The new entrance marquee for The Land.

We first encounter the new marquee and entrance garden, which tell us that The Land will be earthy and organic; the marquee complements the mosaic murals of the original pavilion, giving a sense of union and harmony to the experiences to come. The garden, with its new bridge over a stream of rocks, places us in a serene, natural atmosphere. Greeted by earth tones and elements of the beautiful nature of The Land, we enter the pavilion with a fresh whoosh of air.

post-5-1113791512.jpg

The revamped entrance pathway to The Land, graced with new foliage.

We look up, and we see that the arching ceiling reflects the pale blue hues of the sky. The gently flowing banners, installed in the ’94 rehab, are now streams of golden sunshine, and they surround the familiar hot air balloons, repainted with cool pastels and reflecting, better than ever, the theme of the four seasons. The airiness of the 1982 pavilion, with an image of the sky on its ceiling’s mural, has apparently been restored with much grace. Apparently guests will still enjoy the refreshing atmosphere and will be instilled with a respect for our land’s beauty and bounty. So far, the pavilion, with new earthy colors and textures, welcomes guests into a beautiful Land, where they will learn about their responsibility to protect our Mother Earth.

post-5-1113791609.jpg

The repainted and more clearly themed balloons, surrounded by streams of "sunshine."

That is, until we look down. The yellow rays of sunshine and the hot air balloons hover over. . . an airport terminal? The ground floor is occupied by four modern-looking seating areas, which sprawl underneath large, towering metallic lampposts. Soarin’ borders this floor on one end, while the new, hip Sunshine Seasons food court skirts it on the other. This airport-style ground floor is in a sphere of its own, strangely out-of-place, situated alongside an untouched Living with the Land queue, which retains its earthy theming with quotes about respecting our earth. Two entirely different, disjointed worlds exist in this pavilion.

post-5-1113791665.jpg

A view of the lower level of the pavilion and the Soarin' entrance.

The airport theming is well done. Guests have called it “new and nice” and “artsy,” and it sure does make a pleasant and lovely terminal. But how is it related to the Land and Mother Nature? Where is the earthy environment that the outside of the pavilion foreshadows? What does this new atmosphere teach us about respecting the land and “living with it”? Let’s look carefully at some show elements and what some guests have already said.

“It reminds me of Mall at Millennia,” one Disney fan remarked online, referring to the trendy, high-class shopping complex that opened in Orlando several years ago. Another guest made a keen observation about the top-floor railings, which used to be wooden and more natural looking than the “gate-like” railings just installed: “If only the industrial looking railings had a top rail of light wood to break up the metallic look - - this looks more industrial than earthy.”

post-5-1113791715.jpg

A view of the Harvest Theater. Note that the symbolic Land decor has been removed, leaving a plain wall, newly painted white. The wooden railings have been replaced with metallic, gate-like "fencing."

And the whiteness of the pavilion - - its white walls, white floor, and metallic fixtures - - made an interesting impression on another guest: “I totally agree that the feeling I get from the pictures is the word ‘clean’.” Rather than feel warm and welcoming, the lower level of the pavilion looks sterile and synthetic. Instead of deep-hued and vibrant, the bottom floor is coldly modern. The terminal lacks character, heart, and richness of meaning, and a pavilion supposed to feel earthy and natural should not look like a contemporary airport, much less a shopping mall.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Part II:

post-5-1113792124.jpg

A future dining area for guests. The overriding color scheme of the lower level is not deep or vivid, but is rather a sterile, functional white.

Sunshine Seasons - - in its two earlier incarnations - - used to be a food fair rich with detail and a homey farm-like feeling. Its theming emphasized and celebrated the natural connection between man and the earth. Although the food may improve at Sunshine Seasons, the eatery now looks like any other popular food court. According to one online Disney fan, “The only thing I would like to see is some indication as to which station is meant to represent which season. . . .” What do Sunshine Seasons and the new theming tell us about the Land? The balloons start to convey a story about the seasons, but this story is then lost.

post-5-1113792253.jpg

The homey Sunshine Season Food Fair (above), contrasted with the new food court that replaced it (below). The first image is clearly in tune with The Land's spirit; but the below image, with no warmth or theming, could have easily been taken in an All-Star Resort food court. To make the area more identifiable, we hope Disney will add more "seasonal" theming to this area before the pavilion has its official opening.

These are issues that the new additions to The Land do not address. Visually, we see a celebration of modern artistic design and the industrial human spirit; but where is the earthy Land that we’re expecting? Airports, inherently, are not friends to nature; environmentalists protest against how much space they occupy, how many habitats they destroy. It is an odd theme for Disney to choose to convey the moral of valuing our land. Also, on peak days, according to Cast Members, crowds will back up on the narrow staircases leading down to Soarin’, and the queue may ultimately extend outside the pavilion, creating a frenetic and crowded feeling inside, not unlike that of a congested airport.

post-5-1113792469.jpg

The entrance to Soarin' already resembles a bustling airport terminal, which will become more congested and airport-like once the pavilion opens to all guests.

One guest said, "And I, like you, think it looks very peaceful now. But I wonder how this place is going to be when it's wall-to-wall people." It certainly won't be the serene and peaceful environment that The Land has always offered, as the streamlined décor will not provide any refreshing contrast to the frenzy of crowds. The theming is not exactly a tranquil and relaxing reflection of Mother Nature. The joyous, almost childlike spirit of celebration that pervaded the old pavilion is absent in the new design, where it has become restrained, ordered, and more edgy.

In essence, this new airport terminal in Epcot has “taken over” the earthy Land that we’ve known. Some may argue that the green-painted columns or the large, out-branching light structures represent trees; but this imagery is strained. One guest received some interesting responses from two Cast Members after he asked about the tree-like light structures:
-- “Trees? Those are clouds,” answered the CM.
-- “Clouds? Those definitely aren’t clouds. Those are trees,” interjected the other CM.
Rather than connect with the rejuvenating spirit of Nature itself, guests only encounter art-deco mock-ups of natural ideas, which don’t convey any clear messages, as the conversation above indicates. Guests can appreciate a snazzy and hip interior design, but can they appreciate the beauty and bounty of the Land?

post-5-1113792507.jpg

The towering metallic lamp-posts against the whimsical "sky" above. Do you see a clash between two different worlds?

Imagine what a first-time visitor to the pavilion would think and feel. The guest would be greeted with this modern, fluorescent interior environment (note that the design makes no effort to mimic the beauty of the outside natural world), and he or she would enjoy the incredible hanglider-simulator of Soarin’. “But what does the Behind the Seeds Tour have to do with any of this?” the guest may ponder. Really, where are the themes of agriculture, gardening, and interaction with the land that could make such a Tour fit into the new design? How does Living with the Land fit into this airport-like atmosphere? Imagine the feeling of disembarking the same boat ride and re-entering the terminal: do you sense the disjunction, the lack of thematic association? The boat ride through the greenhouses is disconnected and on the fringes of a pavilion that has completely lost touch with its theme.

post-5-1113792763.jpg

A view of The Land upon entering. Note the clear division between the nature-influenced ceiling decor and the industrial, mechanical-looking theming that rises from the lower level. This "divide" leaves the pavilion with little interconnection, resulting in a disjointed, schizophrenic effect. (Bar added for effect.)

One Epcot guest seems to sum it up: “But I'm really going to miss the old Land. That's just a personal thing. The whole feel and theme of nutrition and food-based pavilion with that Living with the Land music. It all just went together and now that's sorta gone.” It all just went together, before. As we leave the pavilion after experiencing its many wonders, we may catch a glimpse of the old golden, diamond-shaped placard. It has a quote from the scientist René Dubos, who sums up the theme of the pavilion: symbiosis. The Symbiosis plaque still graces the exitway, refurbished and repositioned, but its continued presence is quietly ironic.

Symbiosis is the creative partnership between mankind and his earth, and it has been a defining core for The Land’s attractions, restaurants, and theming since 1982. Before, guests could sit around the fountain on the lower level and gain some sense of the inspiring meaning, the serene feeling of symbiosis. Guests could feel some connection with and respect for our Land’s beauty and bounty. Attractions would play off and complement each other to emphasize this message. But now, the entire pavilion lacks that symbiosis, that sense of interconnectedness. The placard is an ironic reminder of what The Land used to be like.

Guests, now, are greeted with two different worlds. In The Land, the sun will soon shine over a bustling terminal, which won’t feel so far removed from the Orlando International Airport that guests just left in order to come to Epcot. It may be nice and clean, sleek and modern, attractive and streamlined, but there’s one thing it’s not. It’s not The Land.

post-5-1113792972.jpg

A view of the new external foliage that greets visitors (left), alongside the streamlined atmosphere that lies within the pavilion (right). While the natural elements of the exterior hint at earthy, Nature-linked themes, the inside of the pavilion paints a far different picture that tells little about The Land.

CTXRover

^^ Wonderful points. I don't agree with many of them as I see the "new" land as an upgrade over the old, but there are certainly valid and well-thought out.

However, where are the multitude of quotes from the majority of the member's here over the past few days who really like the new version and have repeatedly expressed our opinions of how the "new" land is in many ways better than the former and does a great job of embracing the theme of "the land". I wouldn't care, but the only reason I ask is because I see in your article you have quoted some unidentified "Epcot guests" right off of this forum who have expressed similar concerns or viewpoints as yours (or Captain Buzzy more specifically). That's not bad, just seems incredibly biased. Where are the mentions of how the new food area embraces the natural seasonal forces through sights, smells and tastes? Why the constant focus of it resembling an airport when there is so much else going for it?

Do you plan on any other articles from the other points of view (which also seem to be the majority here) I'd love to be part of it if you do. Just ask me and I'll submit something for you to use :)

General Grizz

Original Poster
CTXRover said:
^^ Wonderful points. I don't agree with many of them, but there are certainly valid and well-thought out.

However, where are the multitude of quotes from the majority of the member's here over the past few days who really like the new version and have repeatedly expressed our opinions of how the "new" land is in many ways better than the former. I wouldn't care, but the only reason I ask is because I see in your article you have quoted some unidentified "Epcot guests" right off of this forum who have expressed similar concerns or viewpoints as yours. That's not bad, just seems incredibly biased. Where are the mentions of how the new food area embraces the natural seasonal forces through sights, smells and tastes? Why the constant focus of it resembling an airport when there is so much else going for it?

Do you plan on any other articles from the other points of view (and seems to be the majority) I'd love to be part of it if you do. Just ask me and I'll submit something for you to use :)
Yes -- for our third article, we will be requesting public submissions. :)

Thank you for reading and considering what we have said, and I will get to Buzzy about the bias issue. No matter what, your voice, when submitted, will be put on the website. But we may have a word limit, based on the potential amount of comments submitted.

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
Yes -- for our third article, we will be requesting public submissions. :)

Thank you for reading and considering what we have said, and I will get to Buzzy about the bias issue. No matter what, your voice, when submitted, will be put on the website. But we may have a word limit, based on the potential amount of comments submitted.

That's terrific. I'll try and keep it short and sweet :)

askmike1

No offence, but I think I've seen Fox News more fair and balanced than that. First, let me just comment my views on the old ('94+) theme. Looking back at pictures of it, The Land looks more like the Living Seas. Where do all the blues and purples come into play on this elaborate 'story'? I mean, the only two earthy things that come to mind when I think of blue, is the sky and water (neither of which having to do with the land). In fact, I have made a little parody on your last picture.
test2tu.gif

Anywho...once again, these are pictures without all the ammenities (I know the spelling is wrong, but I mean tables, chairs, etc.) As for the railings, wouldn't you find it quite ironic if they used wood even after Circle of Life and the concept of Living with the Land? Also, I like how you used the winter section for that one picture. I don't know where you live (maybe in the warm south), but here in NY, when I think of winter...I think of white (and on some years, that may even spread into fall or spring :) ). As for crowds, weren't there also supposed to be tens of thousands visiting DCA every day...and we all know how that turned out. One final thing in this long paragraph rant (which really should be seperated), not everything has to have a story. When I'm eating in a food court, I don't care whether there is a story or not. The previous food court didn't have a story and neither does this. The fountain or the umbrellas did what to extend the story? When I think of either of these, I think of water...hence the Living Seas. Then again, I know there are people who can try to create a whole story out of this.

-Michael

speck76

Like always Grizz, you are judging something when you anly know half of the story....if even that much.

Did the area look the same once the tables were installed?....NOPE

Is the new food court operational or completed yet?...NOPE, yet you compare it to one in its operational/completed state

Do you really know what type of crowds the pavilion will get, or how crowd control will be handled?...NOPE

I have to agree that the new food court area does indeed look too sterile and industrial! It really doesn't go hand in hand with the natural look to the rest and the natural theme to the Land itself. It appears as though it's a promotion for Soarin' rather than for the Land pavillion.

As to some previous posts, blue and purple are in rainbows and in the skies which hover over the land kinda like when your Soarin' above it. And the land has tons of water on it from lakes to rivers and streams. All of which are very vital to the LAND! The previous food court did have a them that matched very much in tune with Living with the Land(you know the original major attraction to the Land pavillion)---it was about farms and crops and food(something a little to do with the Land). Oh, and I do care about a great unique theme to where I eat if I'm at Disney World----after all that is what Disney World is supposed to be about. I don't want it to look like a food court at any local Galleria or terminal! :hurl:

askmike1

thedisneyfan said:
As to some previous posts, blue and purple are in rainbows and in the skies which hover over the land kinda like when your Soarin' above it. And the land has tons of water on it from lakes to rivers and streams. All of which are very vital to the LAND!
With all the blue paint, the fountain, the umbrellas, the little cloud with the rain coming down...it just reminded me more of the seas than of the land.
Oh, and I do care about a great unique theme to where I eat if I'm at Disney World----after all that is what Disney World is supposed to be about. I don't want it to look like a food court at any local Galleria or terminal! :hurl:
Don't get me wrong, I love themed restaurants at Disney. I think disney has the best restaurants in the world (both in food and in theme). However, if it's a food court, it does not need immense theming. I look for theming at sit down restaurants (such as Garden Grill, Tony's Town Square, Cinderella's Royal Table, etc), not at the counter service places (although I do admit, Disney does immensly theme some of them).

-Michael

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom