THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

Number_6

Okay. Yesterday I went to the AP preview of Soarin. My family and I were happy that we were able to go in through The Land instead of the backstage entry they were using for soft openings and looked forward to seeing the re-design(especially since my wife's cousin had done some of the electrical wiring in there). I have to say, I had only seen the first few photos Grizz posted as a teaser before going there and having seen it in person now, I really liked what they did. Will I miss the old design with the fountain? Of course. Actually, the fountain is the one thing I would have liked to see them try to keep other than the balloons, but at least we still have the balloons. As has been stated, they tables and chairs are there now and it really does look like there is more seating. The rails for Living With The Land look the same as before from what I could tell. The lower level surprisingly felt more open with the changes, IMO. It will take a bit of getting used to, but I think they did a really good job with the changes.

Dayma

Looks like a nice rehab to me. The colors look good and the whole area has a "light"er feel to it. I am a tad disapointed they couldnt do more with the rams leading down though..

General Grizz

Original Poster
Horizons1 said:
Yes the tables and chairs and things are in. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of them. I could only get close to the fall section and the tables do have leaves on them. So I suppose the others are themed just as you said. The tables are layed out along the side where the benches are (like booths) and then there are tables in the center of the sections too, with regular chairs. They fit quite a few tables into these sections but overall it looks like a mall food court. I really can not make a definite decision on how I like the new look of The Land. Its good yet bad at the same time. When I first entered I just thought it looked odd with all that metal for railings. It just doesnt mix with The Land. Looking down into the center you just dont get the same feeling anymore. In the old Land, when you looked down, you just got a feeling of symbosis from the fountain and the colors and the umbrellas and such. Now you look down and you get a feeling of a mall and those white things just stick out. Proably the worst part (to me) is the removal of The Land symbol. This could have easily been worked into the new design of The Land but no. Now when you look at where the symbol was, you just see, well, a white wall. So this just leaves 3 places in EPCOT where you can see the old symbols. Overall my feelings on the new design of The Land are mixed. I like some of it and other parts I dont. Soarin' was great though, I think I have a new favorite ride but the new design of The Land will take some getting used to, that is if I can ever get back into the pavilion again, all those crowds. (shudder)
I think I felt EXACTLY what you felt when I first saw the Land.

Why? Because it looked nice. It was well done.

But it didn't fit. . .

Sir_Cliff

I must admit that there are aspects of it which look a little sterile, but overall I'd say a job very well done by WDI.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think a lot of the devotion to the old design was that it was old and cosy, everyone was used to it and it was very much a link to another era. It was, however, also a bit dark and quite dated. If there's to be any pretense of Epcot as a futuristic, forward-thinking kind of place, then some pretty major redesigning had to be done.

The pavilion now looks bright, open and modern and the attraction mix is better. When I think of the theme of 'The Land', I think of the environment and not of good nutrition. Living With The Land provides a look at futuristic farming tecniques, Soarin' provides a fairly awe-inspiring look at both natural and human environments from the air (although it should be expanded from just California) and Circle of Life examines environmental issues. The travel agent/airport theming is reasonably subtle, but in a way not a bad method of presenting the theme to what would be a predominantly urban audience for whom I think there is a subconscious connection between nature/the land and travel. They've also weaved the theme of the seasons into the whole design very, very well. Also have grown more keen on the tree lights!

I've seen a bit of questioning online in recent years, mainly by people who defined themselves in opposition to those who voiced concern over various things going on at the parks, as to whether it was WDI that had suddenly become incompetant rather than anything to do with budgets. I think that this re-design shows that, when given the resources, WDI are as good as they ever were.

PhotoDave219

wdwmagic said:
No its nothing like that. I would say it isnt that much more than say Pirates or Test Track. However, the Soarin' queue is pretty straight (not in zigzags or grids), meaning you cover a lot of straightline distance to get to the ride building.

After standing the whole quene yesteray, i feel that Space Mountain's quene is longer.

As for the land pavilion itself? Looks fine to me. Lots of seating room for the quickserve, as well as very bright and airy.

TheOneVader

Grizz, don't you think you're being a tad negative? You say you like the design, but it doesn't "fit"? What doesn't "fit"? If you ask me, the Land looks better than ever. It feels a lot more open and brighter than the previous version, which is a good thing in my book.

I also like the seating arrangment. Very similiar to Pop Century's gentle curving aisles.

CTXRover

I think sometimes we overanalyze things. But that's what we are all here for. I love hearing different view points as it opens my eyes to see what I'm missing, good or bad.

I started to think about some things being said here and elsewhere regarding the new look such as "It looks like an airport" or "It looks like a travel agency" and began to wonder though if the preconceived and widely held belief of those at D-troops and their readers (including myself) before the rehab started that they were going to ruin the Land by turning into anything from an airport to a travel agency hasn't tainted the ability to see beyond that and see it with an open mind. While I can see the point of view that the central food court now resembles either a modern day mall or airport, the same could easily have been said about the former look as well, only in that case it presented it in a very dated look. One could argue that the former look was not one of a hopeful and brighter future, but a darker, less colorful, less artistically imaginative food court area (although I miss the fountain still)

The loss of the farmer's market idea does seem to come with it a loss of the whole "symbiosis" theme though. However, the previous layout not only created confusion and separation of families and their payment plans if everyone wanted something different from each stand, but one could argue that its only tie to "the land" was that farmer's grow food on the land and so voila! it has to do with the land. That's very integral to the symbiosis theme, but not necessarily integral to the theme of a "land" pavilion. That idea of symbiosis though lives strong in the new pavilion in all THREE main attractions, unlike the previous version of the pavilion. The new food court area on the other hand, creates a dining experience that tries to recreate the 4 seasons that are so integral in the natural events that occur throughout the year. The 4 seasons not only govern the changes in our landscape, but they also govern the way man "lives" with the land. The new food area does this through bright, vibrant and bold colors throughout 4 separate dining sections representing each season, but also creatively attempts to add smells and tastes meant to represent each season. That seems much more appropriate to the pavilion whose central them is "the land".

I will agree that the new land appears to be less natural and more industrial. Does that ruin it though? Certianly not. The metal handrails are probably its only real downfall in that regard. Overall though the new look seems more spacious, brighter, livlier and overall just more modern and cleaner.

The overall theme of the Land seems to have been strengthened as well. Gone is a show that taught us what was good to eat and what wasn't inside a theatre themed to a rock n roll event that pulled you right out of the farmer's market theme of the central part of the pavilion. In its place is an exhilirating experience that allows most guests the opportunity to take in aerial views of some of the Earth's most stunning natural wonders from snow capped mountains and dense forests, to oceans and deserts. Integrated into the film are views of man's symbiosis with the land as well, views of cities, bridges and farming communities. The airport themed queue is subtle and beatifully crafted using a lot of natural looking elements such as dark woods and natural looking and feeling curved lines.

The overall look of the pavilion is wonderful, imo. Will it be dissected apart, sure. Does that mean WDI "ruined" the pavilion. Absolutely not.

General Grizz

Original Poster
TheOneVader said:
Grizz, don't you think you're being a tad negative? You say you like the design, but it doesn't "fit"? What doesn't "fit"? If you ask me, the Land looks better than ever. It feels a lot more open and brighter than the previous version, which is a good thing in my book.

I also like the seating arrangment. Very similiar to Pop Century's gentle curving aisles.
I have an article that's being prepared for tomorrow... and that should probably answer that question. :)

PhotoDave219

I dont see a probelm with it. I think that it will help improve attendance and improve guest flow in the park as a whole.

I think it improves the guest experience and anything that improves the guest experience is a step in teh right direction.

njm

Does anyone know if the theatre where the circle of life is shown has undergone a rehab along with the rest of the pavillion? Last time I went it was looking a bit shabby.

General Grizz

Original Poster
njm said:
Does anyone know if the theatre where the circle of life is shown has undergone a rehab along with the rest of the pavillion? Last time I went it was looking a bit shabby.
I have heard of ANY changes in respect to Circle of Life.

dxwwf3

I must say that after seeing a video of The Land with all the chairs and tables in, I think it makes everything look better. And that really is a TON of seating. I hope it doesn't turn into a ghosttown though (after looking at the menu). I am glad to see Disney offeing a more diverse menu for their guests because many people have wanted that for a while. But we'll have to see how the average guest feels about the menu selections. It could really work out perfectly though. I, for one, am a very picky eater though, and I didn't really see a whole lot that I would eat. But it's not like there aren't 10 other places in Epcot that I like, so I think I'll manage :)

The new look is starting to grow on me. I can definately see Grizz's points though. It does sort of seem like "two different worlds" (We live in two different worlds...), but I think most of us will be able to forgive them for that since everything was done first class on this rehab, which has been rare in the past decade.

askmike1

Also another thing is that people keep saying its so white and sterile. It is not. There are many colors in it. In fact when I think of sterile, I think of this...
072gsized8sb.jpg

The Land's new theme is much more colorful than that. And I really don't think Grizz's avitar is fair to the pavillion. Out of the foodcourt, Soarin, balloons, or anywhere else he had to use the one part of the pavillion that is white. (Even though on D-Troops website it says that "the website team will try its best to point out progressive change around the Walt Disney World Resort") I don't mean to sound rude, but I just don't think its fair.

-Michael

General Grizz

Original Poster
askmike1 said:
The Land's new theme is much more colorful than that. And I really don't think Grizz's avitar is fair to the pavillion. Out of the foodcourt, Soarin, balloons, or anywhere else he had to use the one part of the pavillion that is white. (Even though on D-Troops website it says that "the website team will try its best to point out progressive change around the Walt Disney World Resort") I don't mean to sound rude, but I just don't think its fair.

-Michael
The avatar is a representation of the differences in both theme and scheme of the exterior vs. interior.

Exterior features plants, earth mosiacs, and a plaque which reads:

René Dubos said:
Symbiotic relationships mean creative partnerships. The earth is to be seen neither as an ecosystem to be preserved unchanged nor as a quarry to be exploited for selfish and short-range economic reasons, but as a garden to be cultivated for the development of its own potentialities of the human adventure. The goal of this relationship is not the maintenance of the status quo, but the emergence of new phenomena and new values."

Meanwhile, the interior features a continuation of that theme on the roof of the pavilion, which symbolizes the rays of sunshine against the sky, and balloons representing the four seasons.

But, as a family member pointed out, drawing a line between the end of this roof and the second half of the pavilion makes it seem as though we're in two different worlds. Metallic "fencing," appropriate for an airport, line the entire border. Metallic structures - either to represent palm trees (which I think) or clouds/hang gliders (which some Cast Members believe) - also fit more in the airport theme, as does the white food court, whose surrounding walls have speakers and lighting visible.

The avatar is to show the difference between the earthy exterior and the industrial interior. (Although I may deserve some credit on that use of assonance!) The "schizophrenia" exists on a much larger scale - whether thematically or generally - and the avatar is simply a symbol of that.

Where is the "creative partnerships" in the airport? Is land "exploited for selfish and short-range economic reasons" for such large expanses (airports)? (Environmentalists think so). Where is the "garden to be cultivated for the development of its own potentialities of the human adventure" in a Travel Agency? Like most Epcot guests, I'm looking for "new phenomena and new values."

Soarin' fits in line here... but I'm just not too sure about the airport design.

CTXRover

^^I just thought of this possibility concerning the "symbiosis" thing.

The land is meant to celebrate the Land that will all live among, right? How did the original pavilion do that? By providing a farmer's market sytle food court, an excellent portrayal of man's association with the land. But what about the rest of the central part of the pavilion?

When you first entered the former pavilion, you were met with various shades of dark blues and low level lighting. The center prominently displayed hot air balloons. To the average guest though who didn't know the various abstract symbols represented the four seasons, it would appear to be simply hot air balloons. A symbol of flight perhaps? Not too much to do with the Land. How about the dark banners? What did they represent? Then there was a farmer's market style food court, which embodied one crucial aspect of man's association with the land. Was this intuitively obvious to most guests. I have no idea, but probably not. The fountain though created a sense of peace and tranquility, yet with the crowds fighting over tables in a crowded environment, that peacefulness might have been lost on many.

Enter the 21st century and a bold new version of the pavilion. To some, it would appear that the reminders of man's association with the Land are gone. But welcome a pavilion that tries to "celebrate" the land. A pavilion that one could say is man's attempt to honor the land in modern style, not recreate it. Your first glance is of a bright pavilion. Perhaps a hopeful future? Front and center are balloons that depict the four seasons and Mother Earth. Quite obvious to even the most jaded guest. The atrium is colored sky blue with rays of sunshine represented by the banners and support columns. Below you, is a food court that celebrates the various seasons, powerful natural forces that are so crucial to shaping the land and how we as man interact with it. One could say the symbiotic nature simply comes from the achitects (WDI) realizing and appreciating these natural forces inside the pavilion. Honoring them almost.

The pavilion's 'new' roster of attractions celebrate the symbiosis thing the best though now. Soarin' blows away Food Rocks/KK in that category by a long shot.

The_CEO

Soarin' delivers so much more than those 2 shows. Soarin' can actually SHOW you where the oranges come from. SHOW you the land. Make you feel like you are there.

I can't wait to visit in December.

Futureworld 34

Hey im new to these message boards but have been reading your posts for a while. i for one am excited about this land re do i like what they have done to the inside i just wish maybe wol would be next with a new ride and redo of the interior.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Futureworld 34 said:
Hey im new to these message boards but have been reading your posts for a while. i for one am excited about this land re do i like what they have done to the inside i just wish maybe wol would be next with a new ride and redo of the interior.
I also hope Wonders of Life is given an update.

Welcome to WDWmagic!

imagineer boy

Hmm.... Well, I've been silent here for a while, now I guess I need to make a comment. I think it looks very nice. The exterior is good. I have to admit, it does look a bit more interesting than before. Its also more colorful. I'm glad to see the baloons back, and the benches look very nice as well. Now here are the cons, while the travel agency area looks nice, I still think its a little out of place with the rest of the pavillion. I'm still mad that they couldn't take the time to make a new film for Soarin. I also wish the fountain were back. It just added a bit more life in the pavillion. I also think that they could still make it look more organic to move the message forward.

Overall, it's a lot better than I expected. But it still could be improved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom