The New Fantasyland

EPCOT Explorer

As I recall...way back then...Gemini was known, but not widely. It was a fairly well kept secret. Jim just exposed it to a wider audience.
Kinda like the Discoveryland plans for Tomorrowland. Known to some, even public, but caused a bit of an uproar when suddenly everyone heard about it.
Ah. Makes a bit of a difference. At least to me.

Another difference is the size and scope of the plans. The FW redo was much larger and much more altering to EPCOT. This FL refurb will be big, but it won't fundamentally change MK as Proj.G would have done to EPCOT.

Discoveryland...:hurl:
If these plans had been approved I would agree with you. But they haven't. Space Mountain was done much cheaper than it should have been.

True. I guess we will only know if and when these do get approved.:D I'm hoping they do. Might soften the SM blow.

Im gonna have to polietly disagree

Restoring beauty and nice landscaping to Epcot, 2 e-tickets, revamped attractions > Little Mermaid + casual redressing + meet'n'greets
And the loss of EPCOT's integrity...Woulda been great!:rolleyes::lol:

Again...

Discoveryland...:hurl:
".

It just seems like a no-brainer to me to applaud this expansion.
Indeed! If I see this in FL in 2 years or so, I'll be pretty thrilled. It would show a large change in WDW.

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Hell, I don't even see talk about them likely extending free dining all the way into December.

CMs are getting it really cheap right now, too. I need to book a room at the Yacht Club just for the heck of it!

I'd try one of the new rooms at BW or Coronado Springs myself ... and with that 60% weekend discount plus DDP (for what? $23?) it is a nice part of the Disney Difference!

Quote:
Way too much sudden 'leakage' when there's no good reason for it (indeed, I've been told that putting this out has greatly angered many involved in D23 as the MK expansion was gonna be the icing on the cake in Anaheim in Sept.)

I heard the same thing within the addy circles, and people aren't happy.
I am sure ... which is why I won't say this was 100% for sure leaked on purpose. But if it was, it was done at a high level and with intent.

WDW1974

You aren't looking very hard, because there are threads on this forum about all of those topics.

But why would we want to concentrate on topics such as the TL incident? What is there to discuss on that? WDWMAGIC isn't a site about social disorders, its about WDW. There are far more interesting and relevant topics at hand right now.

Any, back onto FL discussion.

My comment was simply pointing out that folks are talking about all of the 'leaked' rumors (some with no semblance of reality) and not all the very negative news coming out of WDW.

If this stuff just hadn't of slipped out, then it's pretty safe to assume people would be talking about deaths on monorails, bus collisions, lawsuits, kids getting molested at water parks, lawsuits, parents getting arrested for leaving young kids alone in rooms and ... oh yeah, lawsuits.

Do you think Disney wants fans talking about the real news going on in Orlando or about whether some attractions on a leaked blueprint are simply meet and greets?

There is no company in the world that manicures its image like TWDC and all the news has been of the worst kind ... so anything that takes minds off of it is good to the Mouse.

The Conundrum

Quote:
Hell, I don't even see talk about them likely extending free dining all the way into December.

I'd try one of the new rooms at BW or Coronado Springs myself ... and with that 60% weekend discount plus DDP (for what? $23?) it is a nice part of the Disney Difference!

Quote:
Way too much sudden 'leakage' when there's no good reason for it (indeed, I've been told that putting this out has greatly angered many involved in D23 as the MK expansion was gonna be the icing on the cake in Anaheim in Sept.)

I am sure ... which is why I won't say this was 100% for sure leaked on purpose. But if it was, it was done at a high level and with intent.

So what are they going to announce in September instead?

Star Tours 2? Monsters Inc? Imagination 4? MYSTERIOUS Kingdom?

EPCOT Explorer

Quote:

Quote:

:lol::drevil:

Sorry.

*hides D64 banner*

But seriously, does it matter? A OFFICIAL announcement will still be quite fantastic and get a ton of press.

WDW1974

Sorry to burst your bubble, but every major online insider, from Al Lutz to our own Lee and Martin, and Laughing Place to a certain Spirit from 1974, predicted that Lasseter would bring sweeping changes to the parks, and that his influence would override everyone who blocked the necessary work. The only person who made a 100% wrong statement was Lutz, who claimed that Lasseter cared only about DL and didn't care what happened to WDW. I'm glad he was wrong. :D

I know your quote above is really about JT's praising Honor Hunter to the gods as the only spirit who has a clue as to what's going on ... so you know (naturally) that I'm going to take a shot at Hunter (besides, his repeated use of the term 'bothans' is more annoying than JT's use of 'the new sheriff')

While Honor popped up out of the ether about two years ago, and immediately gained attention and credibility (and I do like the look of his blog), my 'issue' with him is he always uses so many qualifies ... so many 'ifs' to render his words near meaningless. He comes off as a politician ... someone saying all the right things all while saying absolutely nothing at all.

Now, on the one hand he's smart. He's covering his . He can NEVER be wrong IF he's made sure to stick enough IFs in his columns.

On the other hand, Id rather read (or write) and be wrong every now and again, but not be so damn wishy-washy.

As to your comment that Lee, Martin, myself and others all agreed that Lasseter would gain power and influence IF his films continued to be magic, well, not only is that true, but it's also common sense.

In a summer of everything from Star Trek's great reboot to the crapfest for 11-year-ols boys that is Transformers to the shocking (and pleasant/LOL) surprise that is The Hangover to the latest in the Harry Potter juggernaut is the fact that UP has done such phenomenal business (and IMHO it's one of the worst three films Pixar has put out, which still makes it better than almost anything WDFA has put out this decade) ... so long as JL keeps delivering, his influence on ALL aspects of the company will only increase. If Princess and the Frog can truly revive WDFA (and it 'looks' like it may) ... well, JL will be allowed to play with the company's billions on Flower Street all he wants.

And while Al is right that DL is John's park passion, to say he doesn't care about WDW or any park with the Disney name on it is disengenuous at best. Sure he loves DL best. So what?

WDW1974

Cheer up, that dubious honor goes to Hong Kong Disneyland. Hong Kong Fantasyland has the medieval tents and even fewer attractions than Magic Kingdom! Hong Kong has just one solitary dark ride, and it's Winnie The Pooh! :eek:

Hong Kong Disneyland Pooh Ride:
hkdl140.jpg

Hong Kong did get a nice Small World, but it's even shorter than Magic Kingdom's truncated version.
Disneyland Small World = 15 minutes. Magic Kingdom Small World = 9 Minutes. Hong Kong Disneyland Small World = 7 Minutes. :eek:

I think Disneyland has the only Pooh ride that is not in Fantasyland. Florida, Tokyo and Hong Kong all have their Pooh rides in Fantasyland. Disneyland's Pooh ride is in Critter Country, with an outdoor loading area as is par for the course for many Disneyland attractions.

Disneyland Pooh Ride Loading Area:
Pooh001.JPG

I almost prefer HKDL's Fantasyland having experienced it.

It's clean, it's fresh, it's green.

If it had just one more dark ride (Pan and Mermaid were supposed to be there and there's room for each in the Pooh and PhilharMagic show buildings), it would definitely be better.

As to the ride time on SW, I recall someone else bringing that up on LP.com and Leemac correcting them. I can say that it sure didn't feel shorter than any version (and I've been on all but TDL).

Anyway, just wanted to stand up for my favorite 'little' MK ... maybe it's the newness, but in FLA you have lost so much from the sub lagoon to the Skyway to the magic shop to the juice bar to the great shops in the castle to being able to eat a non-character meal in said castle ... so much has gone leaving it feeling very empty (not to mention that the dark rides are falling apart) ... while everything in HKDL is near pristine.

Like I said ... one dark ride ...

EPCOT Explorer

I almost prefer HKDL's Fantasyland having experienced it.

It's clean, it's fresh, it's green.

If it had just one more dark ride (Pan and Mermaid were supposed to be there and there's room for each in the Pooh and PhilharMagic show buildings), it would definitely be better.

As to the ride time on SW, I recall someone else bringing that up on LP.com and Leemac correcting them. I can say that it sure didn't feel shorter than any version (and I've been on all but TDL).

Anyway, just wanted to stand up for my favorite 'little' MK ... maybe it's the newness, but in FLA you have lost so much from the sub lagoon to the Skyway to the magic shop to the juice bar to the great shops in the castle to being able to eat a non-character meal in said castle ... so much has gone leaving it feeling very empty (not to mention that the dark rides are falling apart) ... while everything in HKDL is near pristine.

Like I said ... one dark ride ...

The way you rave about HKDL, and if it were to receive ample expansion, I could easily visualize it being one of the better MK Parks.

WDW1974

So what are they going to announce in September instead?

Star Tours 2? Monsters Inc? Imagination 4? MYSTERIOUS Kingdom?

I am not sure whether they were even going to announce anything or just tease 'new things a coming to MK' ... one might surmise that it would be much cheaper to announce something big at D23 rather than do one of their huge (and very costly) press junkets.

At the same time, maybe it would (or will) be both ... do a little teasing for the fans and then make the official announcements to the media in Orlando a month later.

I really don't know. But Star Tours will be announced very soon ... Monsters I'm still not sure of a timeline ... and Imagination isn't on the front-burner at all right now.

And nothing is coming to DAK ... seriously ... for the umpteenth time ... Joe Rohde wouldn't be in Hawaii and working on stuff for HKDL.

The Conundrum

And nothing is coming to DAK ... seriously ... for the umpteenth time ... Joe Rohde wouldn't be in Hawaii and working on stuff for HKDL.

You should get in touch with Martin (his username is Marni) he seems to know something you don't and I trust him just as much as I trust you. :shrug:

Horizonsfan

I really don't know. But Star Tours will be announced very soon ... Monsters I'm still not sure of a timeline ... and Imagination isn't on the front-burner at all right now.

How 'bout the hat?

WDW1974

You should get in touch with Martin (his username is Marni) he seems to know something you don't and I trust him just as much as I trust you. :shrug:

We've chatted before via PM. And if he wants to share something he's free to do so.

But any DAK expansion (and there have been plans to be sure) just makes no sense whatsoever now.

Not with Joe in Hawaii. Not with RoL dead. Not with Disney about to open the wallet for MK ... there's only so much to spend.

WDW1974

How 'bout the hat?

All I can tell you is the hat will be a bad memory before WDW turns 40.

I don't think Disney has decided on a schedule for getting rid of the eyesore ... also realize that merchandising plays a role as new lines (san BAH) have to be proposed, decided on and manufactured in time to debut when the view up Hollywood Blvd won't be obstructed by a giant cartoon hat.

Horizonsfan

I don't think Disney has decided on a schedule for getting rid of the eyesore ... also realize that merchandising plays a role as new lines (san BAH) have to be proposed, decided on and manufactured in time to debut when the view up Hollywood Blvd won't be obstructed by a giant cartoon hat.

Thanks for the information....and of course...how could I forget the great merchandising dept? :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

I would consider a new view down Hollywood Blvd a new attraction for the 40th, wouldn't you?:lookaroun:D

JWG

Good enough for me.

lazyboy97o

Thanks for the information....and of course...how could I forget the great merchandising dept? :rolleyes:
A few months before the name change, I went to the park looking for Disney-MGM Studios labeled items that did not have the hat, and I was only able to find two. The stupid thing really is on almost everything associated with that park.

WDW1974

A few months before the name change, I went to the park looking for Disney-MGM Studios labeled items that did not have the hat, and I was only able to find two. The stupid thing really is on almost everything associated with that park.

Yep ... but think how much Disney will be able to make when people have to buy all new tees, pins, beach towels, ...any logo merchandise with the new design.

Much like with new merchandise from the name change, Disney stands to make even more than if the stuff was largely the same ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom