The New Fantasyland

jt04

It's for capacity issues. Dumbo has low capacity and huge demand. I think many families bypass Dumbo because of the waits, and it is probably the source of the most temper tantrums in all of Walt Disney World.

I understand why they are putting dueling dumbos at the top there. My problem is the theming in that section of the park. You come out of the enchanted forest and boom right in the middle of a circus. The dumbo plot in front of the train station seems like its a place holder of sorts, just a guess. It's all fantasy right?

I was just thinking about this. Perhaps it is a fantasyland within a fantasyland thought, if that makes sense. I think of it as the Emerald City within the land of Oz type motif. It carries the concept of Beastly Kingdom and could be a land for Disney-esque fantasy animals. Dumbo, Casey's, Bambi, Unicorns, and other mythical forest creatures. Just a thought.

EDIT: Woulldn't it be the ultimate irony if some of the fanciful creatures from AK's Beastly Kingdom ended up near the old 20K site, and the 20K/Jules Verne motif ends up on the old BK plot.

TP2000

The only person who made a 100% wrong statement was Lutz, who claimed that Lasseter cared only about DL and didn't care what happened to WDW. I'm glad he was wrong. :D

I've been reading Lutz since the alt.disney.disneyland days in the late 1990's. I have never once seen him say such a thing about Lasseter in his printed articles, about the Submarines, or any other topic. Al Lutz does mention Lasseter's passion for Disneyland, but if you've extrapolated from that info that Lasseter doesn't care what happens to WDW then I think that might be your own opinion being overlayed on Al Lutz's updates about Disneyland.

I would love to see a recent quote from Lutz asserting that Lasseter "doesn't care what happens to WDW".

Not trying to be overly confrontational, but that statement you made about Lutz/Lasseter just stuck out like a flashing sign. Perhaps this is like a similar statement you made recently about Disneyland in this thread, that the "Matterhorn has to close nightly for the fireworks" when no such thing has ever happened at Disneyland.

My hunch is that you are a bit off base on this one as well. :)

At least 12 years of reading Al Lutz articles leads me to believe that. But if you've got a quote I missed I would love to see it.

jt04

I've been reading Lutz since the alt.disney.disneyland days in the late 1990's. I have never once seen him say such a thing about Lasseter in his printed articles, about the Submarines, or any other topic. Al Lutz does mention Lasseter's passion for Disneyland, but if you've extrapolated from that info that Lasseter doesn't care what happens to WDW then I think that might be your own opinion being overlayed on Al Lutz's updates about Disneyland.

I would love to see a recent quote from Lutz asserting that Lasseter "doesn't care what happens to WDW".

Not trying to be overly confrontational, but that statement you made about Lutz/Lasseter just stuck out like a flashing sign. Perhaps this is like a similar statement you made recently about Disneyland in this thread, that the "Matterhorn has to close for the fireworks" when no such thing has ever happened at Disneyland.

At least 12 years of reading Al Lutz articles leads me to believe that.

I think it was another poster here who said it and who seems to be an asscociate. And no, not Kevin Yee.

TP2000

Better than that, but not on the level with Mansion.
Kinda like a Pirates level refurb is what I'm expecting, I guess....

Well, that's a shame. It seems they had a perfect opportunity to get Space Mountain up to the standards set in Anaheim, Paris, Hong Kong and now Tokyo. But they passed.

The Pirates rehab at WDW wasn't nearly as extensive as Disneyland's Pirates rehab. The sound quality in WDW was lousy on my last visit, and the thing looked ready for a rehab that isn't scheduled yet and likely won't be for years. Then go ride the Anaheim version and it's a glaring difference.

You would think that Pirates rehab debacle would have taught them a lesson in Orlando. I will be interested to see just how modest this Space Mountain rehab is!

Horizonsfan

I was just thinking about this. Perhaps it is a fantasyland within a fantasyland thought, if that makes sense. I think of it as the Emerald City within the land of Oz type motif. It carries the concept of Beastly Kingdom and could be a land for Disney-esque fantasy animals. Dumbo, Casey's, Bambi, Unicorns, and other mythical forest creatures. Just a thought.

EDIT: Woulldn't it be the ultimate irony if some of the fanciful creatures from AK's Beastly Kingdom ended up near the old 20K site, and the 20K/Jules Verne motif ends up on the old BK plot.

This dumbo area could be quite nice if done right. I can just picture this quaint little "circus" in the middle of a picturesque forest.

EPCOT Explorer

^^^ Well....Perhaps they are going to update our FL to these standards instead of SM. Idealy we would get both....but....*sigh* I would rather have a whole land though, rather than one ride.

RSoxNo1

Hong Kong did get a nice Small World, but it's even shorter than Magic Kingdom's truncated version.
Disneyland Small World = 15 minutes. Magic Kingdom Small World = 9 Minutes. Hong Kong Disneyland Small World = 7 Minutes. :eek:

Hmm... only 7 minutes listening to "it's a small world", sign me up.

tirian

I can't provide a quote, because MiceAge's database doesn't seem to go back that far. If it does, I'll happily show what I'm talking about. However, Al did say straight up that Lasseter was content to leave WDW to TDO "for now" (although again, this statement was made nearly a year ago), and the column caused some panic on these WDW-centric boards. Also, I never said Lasseter doesn't care; I said that Al said so, which he did. Al's assertion was a 100% fanboy statement, but the man is usually so correct that I can forgive his bias.

Not trying to be overly confrontational, but that statement you made about Lutz/Lasseter just stuck out like a flashing sign. Perhaps this is like a similar statement you made recently about Disneyland in this thread, that the "Matterhorn has to close nightly for the fireworks" when no such thing has ever happened at Disneyland.

At least 12 years of reading Al Lutz articles leads me to believe that. But if you've got a quote I missed I would love to see it.

The Matterhorn was very much closed during the fireworks last time I was at DL, and I assumed that was the reason. I'm not a West Coaster, so I don't know DL's operating schedule. I was indeed a "bit off base" for that statement, and I said so.

Thanks for not trying to be confrontational, but I'm starting to think you're stalking me the way JT stalks WDW1974. :lookaroun (Just kidding; no offense, JT.)

TP2000

The Matterhorn was very much closed during the fireworks last time I was at DL, and I assumed that was the reason. I'm not a West Coaster, so I don't know DL's operating schedule. I was indeed a "bit off base" for that statement, and I said so.

It's a shame the Matterhorn Bobsleds were closed for a technical problem when you walked by during the fireworks. I can assure you it operates normally during fireworks shows.

Personally, I enjoy riding the Matterhorn during the fireworks as it makes the already thrilling ride that much more exciting as the sky is exploding as you zip in and out of the holey Swiss mountain. I rode it that way with my niece and nephew two weeks ago during Magical, and it's always a big hit. :)

tirian

It's a shame the Matterhorn Bobsleds were closed for a technical problem when you walked by during the fireworks. I can assure you it operates normally during fireworks shows.

Personally, I enjoy riding the Matterhorn during the fireworks as it makes the already thrilling ride that much more exciting as the sky is exploding as you zip in and out of the holey Swiss mountain. I rode it that way with my niece and nephew two weeks ago during Magical, and it's always a big hit. :)

:mad:
Not cool.

I'll have to make that a point when I'm there in December. Thanks for the heads up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom