The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

Ah, San Francisco...my aunt lives near San Jose and I've still never been. It's on my to-do list, along with:
-Winchester Mystery House
-Getting back to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
-Driving the PCH (and visiting Monterrey & the aquarium, revisiting Hearst Castle, etc.)
-Getty Villa
-Yosemite
-Joshua Tree & Death Valley
-Sequoia
-Properly exploring San Diego (I've done SeaWorld, the zoo, and the safari park. That's it.)
-Walt Disney Concert Hall
-Japanese American National Museum
-Griffith Observatory
-Lake Tahoe
Etc.

Either California is drowning in an embarrassment of riches, or I'm still worse than I think at giving equal weight to non-theme park travel.

Fine, it's both.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Ah, San Francisco...my aunt lives near San Jose and I've still never been. It's on my to-do list, along with:
-Winchester Mystery House
-Getting back to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
-Driving the PCH (and visiting Monterrey & the aquarium, revisiting Hearst Castle, etc.)
-Getty Villa
-Yosemite
-Joshua Tree & Death Valley
-Sequoia
-Properly exploring San Diego (I've done SeaWorld, the zoo, and the safari park. That's it.)
-Walt Disney Concert Hall
-Japanese American National Museum
-Griffith Observatory
-Lake Tahoe
Etc.

Either California is drowning in an embarrassment of riches, or I'm still worse than I think at giving equal weight to non-theme park travel.

Fine, it's both.

If you visit San Fran, do NOT bring a car.

Not sure how the new AG is doing but San fran became a hot spot for break ins under the previous one.

Consumer

I wish there was more information on this early layout for DCA. I'm so curious to know what it included.

1660418423520.png

waltography

Ugh, just got off the most annoying ride through of Rise yet. There was a group of unfavorables Keyholders who would not stop injecting themselves into the ride via wisecracks and look over there’s. The Batuu equivalent of reciting the stretching room narration, so cringe; I felt so bad for the couple next to me since it was their first time riding.

I guess this is the natural conclusion to a ride that insists that you are the hero.

Last edited:

Sailor310

Ugh, just got off the most annoying ride through of Rise yet. There was a group of unfavorables Keyholders who would not stop injecting themselves into the ride via wisecracks and look over there’s. The Batuu equivalent of reciting the stretching room narration, so cringe; I felt so bad for the couple next to me since it was their first time riding.

I guess this is the natural conclusion to a ride that insists that you are the hero.
I used to love to do the "no windows and no DOORs" and "there's always My way" spiel, but I've been sensitized enough on these sites that I just keep quiet now.

Dear Prudence

Imagine going so often you can do that on a ride most people can't even freaking GET on. 😒

Phroobar

As a (formerly) closeted Warner Bros. Studio Tour stan, I do wonder what the normal tour experience is like at this point. They've spent a TON of money on infrastructure since I first went in 2015, and I really enjoyed the deluxe tour last month-we got to see the costume warehouse, go through the mill & prop shop, and eat at the commissary. We also got expanded time on the backlot and walking around the different areas. It definitely was better for the film buff than the VIP Experience at Universal the next day was, which was helpful for the park itself but the main difference with the backlot/film studio was better tour guides.

BUT the normal tour has lost an hour from what it once was. Part of that is simply a result of the tour becoming more efficient-the DC and Potter stuff used to be in one building where they'd drop you for ~20 min before you got back on, and then there was a separate building for vehicles that you would get time in before you were driven to yet another place. That's all streamlined now and it works better than before. But I still can't imagine that the one hour experience lives up to what used to be the standard 2 hour tour.

I will agree that it their focus is EXTREMELY contemporary and of the moment unless it's a huge property with a lot of name recognition. The majority of the guests on the Deluxe Tour with me were international visitors, and some of them voiced disappointment that there wasn't much focus on classical films. I get that they want (or think the guests want) to focus on the now, but it's definitely odd when you're walking through sets or hearing about shows are current that I've never heard of either.

On the upside, they DO have a classics tour now. That is an option that didn't exist when I previously visited.

The only thing that really bugged me about the tour I took is in their welcome area, which naturally hypes all the innovations Warner has made over the years and their properties, but hopes you won't notice that some of those properties/innovations they trumpet came from other companies that Warner later acquired.

That said, I totally understand why the experience wouldn't be for everyone and could be seen as tacky or touristy.

The Warner Bros. Tour has gone ALL IN on Friends. They was already a fair amount of Friends content there in 2017, but there's more than there used to be. Now, in addition to the Friends set and coffee stop there's also a "couch" photo op in front of the Friends fountain, which was new. I like Friends, but the hype around the show can be a bit nauseating. I can't imagine how irritating it would be if someone who *hated* Friends found themselves on the Warner tour.

I totally get why they're doing it-IP milking=$$$ but it definitely makes the whole experience feel more tacky than it would otherwise.
Did you get to meet the Warner Brothers and their Warner Sister Dott? They live in the water tower.

Dear Prudence

I will probably regret posting my regular social media on here, but I wanted to share that my art drop was a success! 🙌🏽 All of the pieces went so fast! I was so happy to see them all gone almost immediately! No one tagged me to let me know they found them. 😔 it was also pretty nerve wracking because I am not a sneaky person. 😂

mickEblu

Original Poster
Took my daughter on Little Mermaid yesterday while my wife and son went on GRR. (It was Moms turn for a little thrill). While we rode I just couldn’t help thinking that it should have been THE E ticket boat ride for DCA. Going through the bayou for “Kiss the Girl” and through a battle scene with Ursula instead of around every single tiny set. We’ve discussed this topic to death so I’ll just stop there.

Well after this, why is Ariel not in the middle of the action in the “Under the Sea” scene?” I feel like that would go a long way in making it feel less like she’s thanking us for watching a retelling of this story. With all of that said it serves a purpose. It’s a major people eater and much needed dark ride for DCA.

waltography

Took my daughter on Little Mermaid yesterday while my wife and son went on GRR. (It was Moms turn for a little thrill). While we rode I just couldn’t help thinking that it should have been THE E ticket boat ride for DCA. Going through the bayou for “Kiss the Girl” and through a battle scene with Ursula instead of around every single tiny set. We’ve discussed this topic to death so I’ll just stop there.

Well after this, why is Ariel not in the middle of the action in the “Under the Sea” scene?” I feel like that would go a long way in making it feel less like she’s thanking us for watching a retelling of this story. With all of that said it serves a purpose. It’s a major people eater and much needed dark ride for DCA.
The 3D concept they had as a DVD bonus for some Mermaid reissue was just about what I wanted from a Mermaid ride.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I hope that if they do make a Black Box attraction it’s heavily based around classic Disney songs. Basically I want Animation Building Lobby: The Ride. DCA needs something to pull on the heart strings. I love the Animation Bldg lobby but they only have like two sofas and they are always taken. The spectaculars obviously showcase some of the classic songs but you re standing there cramped with a bunch of people. It would be great to experience the songs from the comfort of your own ride vehicle. And if it’s an attraction they could swap out often they could do a Golden Age version, a Pixar version etc.

Or imagine like a Circle vision building meets Soarin meets Philharmagic where we fly up and around the room while they play classic songs/scenes.

Rich T

I hope that if they do make a Black Box attraction it’s heavily based around classic Disney songs. Basically I want Animation Building Lobby: The Ride. DCA needs something to pull on the heart strings. I love the Animation Bldg lobby but they only have like two sofas and they are always taken. The spectaculars obviously showcase some of the classic songs but you re standing there cramped with a bunch of people. It would be great to experience the songs from the comfort of your own ride vehicle. And if it’s an attraction they could swap out often they could do a Golden Age version, a Pixar version etc.

Or imagine like a Circle vision building meets Soarin meets Philharmagic where we fly up and around the room while they play classic songs/scenes.
As long as they include a couple of good jump-scares.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom