The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

Nah, grass is boring, uninspired, and bad for the environment.
The act of traveling to Disneyland is bad for the environment. Using energy to post on forums is bad for the environment. In fact, nearly all forms of entertainment are bad for the environment! Stop, everybody!!!! Stop!!!!

I agree that grass is pretty. It smells good and is fun to lie on while drinking root beer. Astroturf is for the Brady Bunch’s back yard.

Disney Analyst

The act of traveling to Disneyland is bad for the environment. Using energy to post on forums is bad for the environment. In fact, nearly all forms of entertainment are bad for the environment! Stop, everybody!!!! Stop!!!!

I agree that grass is pretty. It smells good and is fun to lie on while drinking root beer. Astroturf is for the Brady Bunch’s back yard.

So do nothing, make no changes... because everything is bad so whats the point?

Is that a solution or just you not caring?

Switching out areas like these to fake grass makes total sense for Disney.

But my hope is more people will look at alternatives in general, as there are lots of great options to seek out, and make way more sense given our changing environment.

But hey, it's your water. We don't have the same water issues where I am from.

Rich T

Given the drought we’re in the middle of, fake grass is welcomed.
Disagree. Disney using real grass in the planters would have zero significant negative impact on the big picture. How many golf courses are in California? Disney’s use of planter grass is about as impactful as a speck of dust in the Grand Canyon.
(Edit)
Sorry, that was my Worst. Metaphor. Ever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

We've come along way in artificial grass technology since the Brady Bunch days. There is a reason why its getting harder to tell which yards have artificial grass and which have natural grass.

Doing this I don't see as something that most guests even would notice unless it was pointed out to them. As long as it looks real and is green year round then I don't see an issue here. Its not like guests are actively walking or laying on it anyways.

Phroobar

Disagree. Disney using real grass in the planters would have zero significant negative impact on the big picture. How many golf courses are in California? Disney’s use of planter grass is about as impactful as a speck of dust in the Grand Canyon.
(Edit)
Sorry, that was my Worst. Metaphor. Ever.
In reality the cities use a small fraction of the water supply compared to the central valley farmers.

Rich T

So do nothing, make no changes... because everything is bad so whats the point?

Is that a solution or just you not caring?

Switching out areas like these to fake grass makes total sense for Disney.

But my hope is more people will look at alternatives in general, as there are lots of great options to seek out, and make way more sense given our changing environment.

But hey, it's your water. We don't have the same water issues where I am from.
Wow. I’m just saying that if everyone eliminated everything beautiful from the world just because it had an insignificantly microscopic impact on a genuine big problem… The world would suck.

Make changes where they matter. Like I said, too many golf courses might be an issue. Disneyland having a pretty grass planter is not. Guess they should drain the Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America and Sub Lagoon, too. And, for Heaven’s sake, shut down Pirates and Splash Immediately.

Rich T

We've come along way in artificial grass technology since the Brady Bunch days. There is a reason why its getting harder to tell which yards have artificial grass and which have natural grass.

Doing this I don't see as something that most guests even would notice unless it was pointed out to them. As long as it looks real and is green year round then I don't see an issue here. Its not like guests are actively walking or laying on it anyways.
And I suppose next you’ll be telling me the Swiss Family/Tarzan Tree is artificial. Oh…

Disney Analyst

Wow. I’m just saying that if everyone eliminated everything beautiful from the world just because it had an insignificantly microscopic impact on a genuine big problem… The world would suck.

Make changes where they matter. Like I said, too many golf courses might be an issue. Disneyland having a pretty grass planter is not. Guess they should drain the Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America and Sub Lagoon, too. And, for Heaven’s sake, shut down Pirates and Splash Immediately.

Don't get me started on golf courses...

CaptinEO

Given California's water situation, I think any water wasted on grass is just dumb. I am fine with this move, and it looks like a great product they installed.

If they wanted to plant something, should be using more drought-tolerant grass alternatives like microclover, white clover, creeping red fescue, ryegrasses and sedges.
Meanwhile across the street they are vaporizing millions of gallons of water for 30 minutes straight two times nightly.

CaptinEO

May deeply regret this at some point, but oh well. Here's my August 2022 Disneyland trip report

Thanks for sharing! I also love Splash and think it's great you rode all your favorites multiple times. I miss trip reports! Glad the trip went well and happy birthday!

CaptinEO

May deeply regret this at some point, but oh well. Here's my August 2022 Disneyland trip report

Also that artwork was great and it's so fun that you left it for people to discover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom