The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Dear Prudence

@tcool123 In terms of restaurants, what kind of food are you looking for? While not exactly in Hollywood, but on the cusp, I would recommend visiting Original Farmers Market on 3rd and Fairfax. It’s a 1930s food court with dozens of different food choices. The Grove (outdoor shopping mall) is attached to it and is nice to walk through.

I can try and recommend more once I get a feel of the kind of food you’re looking for. Oh, and if you happen to consider stopping by In-N-Out, let us know so we can suggest how you should order your food.

If you’re going to the Walk of Fame, keep your expectations extremely low. It’s not a sight to behold, trust me.
Also, I just wanna add ANY street vendor you see selling fruit, snacks, or juices, FO NOT pass them up.

tcool123

Also, I just wanna add ANY street vendor you see selling fruit, snacks, or juices, FO NOT pass them up.
Still kicking myself for not getting some Agua Frescas from a vendor I would see at Disneyland only reason I didnt was cause I had something seeey just before.

We’re keeping an eye out for another agua frescas vendor as now I got the urge to have some lol 😅

Consumer

I've been seeing a lot of Disney+ ads lately. I have to say, they're abysmal. I mean, they're really bad commercials. I just keep thinking about how much better the platform would have been marketed in the 2000's. There's no Mickey Mouse in these commercials, no families sitting together on the couch watching Snow White, no Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust on the TV. There's no emotion in an of these commercials, just flashes of Olivia Rodrigo, The Beatles, and a bunch of other content that has no relation to the traditional Disney image or brand.

Disney used to sell emotion, now they sell content. It's a big change and I have to imagine the company will suffer for it in the not-so-distant future.

tcool123

I've been seeing a lot of Disney+ ads lately. I have to say, they're abysmal. I mean, they're really bad commercials. I just keep thinking about how much better the platform would have been marketed in the 2000's. There's no Mickey Mouse in these commercials, no families sitting together on the couch watching Snow White, no Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust on the TV. There's no emotion in an of these commercials, just flashes of Olivia Rodrigo, The Beatles, and a bunch of other content that has no relation to the traditional Disney image or brand.

Disney used to sell emotion, now they sell content. It's a big change and I have to imagine the company will suffer for it in the not-so-distant future.
Are you talking about the ad about music also featuring West Side Story, Greatest Showman, etc? I think the purpose of the ad is to show that Disney+ isn’t the traditional image or brand that many expect from Disney. I will disagree, anf say I think it’s smart for then to show that Disney+ isnt your normal Disney product, and is more than what you expect if they want it to be widely successful.

tcool123

Today was our Santa Monica day!

We had breakfast at Urth Caffe, with my mom and I splitting a Pecan Roll and I had an egg white and feta panini alongside with a tropical juice. The Pecan Roll was excellent, and the panini was nice and hit the spot I had for a lighter meal.

7019E2FF-B8C9-4B68-AA6C-1FF3C78C30EA.jpeg

583B8166-07A6-4A60-8FD5-A648F6FB05FF.jpeg

For Lunch/Dinner we went to hit up….Duke’s recommended by @BuzzedPotatoHead89 ! 1212 in the Third Promenade from @Californian Elitist ess , but it unfortunately didnt open till 5 PM and we ate at 1:30 PM. We split the Fried Calamari which was decent, and I had the Huli Huli Chicken; the chicken was tasty however not the best iteration Ive had of the dish.

7700A1A6-33F1-4B86-92D3-00E59716C4D8.jpeg

For dessert we were back in Beverly Hills, near our hotel, we went to Magnolia Bakery - I had the Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Pudding, it was very good! Slices of real banana were mixed into the pudding, and it was very good! No photos of it though 😅

Also realized I didn’t mention yesterday we hit up the Academy Awards Museum which I absolutely loved their exhibits is what I’d expect for something like Warner Bros exhibits to be like on their studio tour. For breakfast we ate at ’s right there in the museum, and the Caprese Quiche was amazing.

DE6536B4-B950-423D-B6FA-D7BF6804C2FB.jpeg

For lunch/dinner we went to the Ivy which is where my cousin and aunt suggested to my mom so it was her must eat. We split the table bread, some fried calamari, and I had the fried chicken which was really good. The mango chutney that came with the Fried Chicken was excellent, and a great pairing that I wouldn’t have tried normally. To drink I had the Black Pearl, was a bit strong but I enjoyed it as time went on.

993EB8C4-0A32-4407-9219-2E209B35BEA4.jpeg

For dessert we want to Junior Cookies, it’s a bite size cookie boutique; it was alright nothing to write home about.

For dinner tonight it does seem like Uber Eats is the play.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

We had breakfast at Urth Caffe, with my mom and I splitting a Pecan Roll and I had an egg white and feta panini alongside with a tropical juice. The Pecan Roll was excellent, and the panini was nice and hit the spot I had for a lighter meal.

View attachment 659457
View attachment 659461

For Lunch/Dinner we went to hit up….Duke’s recommended by @BuzzedPotatoHead89 ! 1212 in the Third Promenade from @Californian Elitist ess , but it unfortunately didnt open till 5 PM and we ate at 1:30 PM. We split the Fried Calamari which was decent, and I had the Huli Huli Chicken; the chicken was tasty however not the best iteration Ive had of the dish.

View attachment 659459

For dessert we were back in Beverly Hills, near our hotel, we went to Magnolia Bakery - I had the Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Pudding, it was very good! Slices of real banana were mixed into the pudding, and it was very good! No photos of it though 😅

Also realized I didn’t mention yesterday we hit up the Academy Awards Museum which I absolutely loved their exhibits is what I’d expect for something like Warner Bros exhibits to be like on their studio tour. For breakfast we ate at *****’s right there in the museum, and the Caprese Quiche was amazing.

View attachment 659463

For lunch/dinner we went to the Ivy which is where my cousin and aunt suggested to my mom so it was her must eat. We split the table bread, some fried calamari, and I had the fried chicken which was really good. The mango chutney that came with the Fried Chicken was excellent, and a great pairing that I wouldn’t have tried normally. To drink I had the Black Pearl, was a bit strong but I enjoyed it as time went on.

View attachment 659462

For dessert we want to Junior Cookies, it’s a bite size cookie boutique; it was alright nothing to write home about.

Sounds like you had a good day! I’ve passed by The Ivy (the other location lol) many times and have yet to eat there.

For good cookies, head to Mill Jar Cookies. It’s not far from where you are at all. It’s straight down Wilshire. It’s less than a 5-minute drive from LACMA/Academy Awards Museum.

Speaking of the Academy Awards Museum, I need to go there, too.

waltography

View attachment 659457
View attachment 659461

View attachment 659459

Also realized I didn’t mention yesterday we hit up the Academy Awards Museum which I absolutely loved their exhibits is what I’d expect for something like Warner Bros exhibits to be like on their studio tour. For breakfast we ate at *****’s right there in the museum, and the Caprese Quiche was amazing.

View attachment 659463

View attachment 659462

Good choice with Urth Caffe, that's a West LA fave (at least for the young trendy professional crowd 😂). I love love love their Spanish latte granitas and their baked goods.

Magnolia Bakery is also very delicious! Not quite an "LA" place (I think the brand started in NYC), but I'm a sucker for good banana pudding and they had a limited edition chocolate caramel pretzel flavor that was addicting.

The Academy Museum was very good the last time I went which was I think about a month after opening; they have a robust animation gallery that is really amazing and represents a good breadth of the studios. Is the Studio Ghibli exhibit still showing?

And as an aside to @Californian Elitist's great rec, if you find yourself in Westwood on your trip, I highly recommend Diddy Riese; it's practically a UCLA staple for good, cheap cookies and ice cream sandwiches.

Last edited:

tcool123

Sounds like you had a good day! I’ve passed by The Ivy (the other location lol) many times and have yet to eat there.

For good cookies, head to Mill Jar Cookies. It’s not far from where you are at all. It’s straight down Wilshire. It’s less than a 5-minute drive from LACMA/Academy Awards Museum.

Speaking of the Academy Awards Museum, I need to go there, too.
I’d recommend my mom said her shrimp scampi was great and my stepdad said the same about his ribs.

Noted, shouldve asked for dessert recs as thats the most important part of any meal 😉

I recommend it a lot, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a fan of film and there was a wide array of films on showcase with the museum celebrating Hollywood but taking time to also cover various controversies that have plagued the industry such as the trestment of minorities in film this was present in the Wizard of Oz, Animation, Backdrops, and Oscar Award Acceptance exhibits if I recall correctly.

I may hold off a bit before going as I think a new exhibit is opening at the end of this month, so I’d check their website to see whats happening. If I was allowed I could have spent a whole day as I found it all so fascinating but had to rush to make it to our dinner.

Good choice with Urth Caffe, that's a West LA fave (at least for the young trendy professional crowd 😂). I love love love their Spanish latte granitas and their baked goods.

Magnolia Bakery is also very delicious! Not quite an "LA" place (I think the brand started in NYC), but I'm a sucker for good banana pudding and they had a limited edition chocolate caramel pretzel flavor that was addicting.

The Academy Museum was very good the last time I went which was I think about a month after opening; they have a robust animation gallery that is really amazing and represents a good breadth of the studios. Is the Studio Ghibli exhibit still showing?

And as an aside to @Californian Elitist's great rec, if you find yourself in Westwood on your trip, I highly recommend Diddy Riese; it's practically a UCLA staple for good, cheap cookies and ice cream sandwiches.
I could see why Urth was delicious! If I return to LA I’d be tempted to break my policy of not repeating restaurants on trips for it. Plenty of treats there that were appealing to me.

Magonlia Bakery was simply due to it being a four minute walk from the landromat we headed off to clean some of our clothing.

The Studio Ghibli is now gone, I imagine it was before the animation section? If so its now home to an exhibit on a Spanish filmmaker; was a very interesting exhibit thiugh! However there was Studio Ghibli merchandise still present in the store.

I’ll be adding on Diddy Riese alongside Mill Jar Cookies to the suggestions bank; thankful that it worked for lunch today so thanks gang!

Diddy Riese is a great option for cookies and ice cream. Good luck finding parking, though. Lol.

@tcool123 If you decide on Diddy Riese, they’re cash only. You’ll be in UCLA territory, which, as a USC alumna, is bleh, but, as a former UCLA employee, is also great (go Trojans, Fight On ❤️💛). :)
Thanks for the heads up, we all have cash on us so that shouldnt be a promblem for us :)

As student of UCF (University of Central Florida) I am opposed to both 😉

Consumer

Are you talking about the ad about music also featuring West Side Story, Greatest Showman, etc? I think the purpose of the ad is to show that Disney+ isn’t the traditional image or brand that many expect from Disney. I will disagree, anf say I think it’s smart for then to show that Disney+ isnt your normal Disney product, and is more than what you expect if they want it to be widely successful.
That one, as well as the other about Free Solo meeting Han Solo. I understand the intention, but I think it's a bad long term strategy. I like Disney because it's quality filmmaking that makes me nostalgic for my childhood, something I hope to sure with my own children someday. Appealing to those emotions would make me want Disney+, to know that I cold access those feelings with a simple click. Instead, this ad campaign is selling me on how much content Disney+ has for me to waste time on. It doesn't distinguish itself from its competition except by its catalogue.

tcool123

@tcool123 How long are you in LA for?
My last full day is Thursday; we have to return our car by 5 PM to the Alamo at LAX. Our flight leaves a little after 9 PM.

That one, as well as the other about Free Solo meeting Han Solo. I understand the intention, but I think it's a bad long term strategy. I like Disney because it's quality filmmaking that makes me nostalgic for my childhood, something I hope to sure with my own children someday. Appealing to those emotions would make me want Disney+, to know that I cold access those feelings with a simple click. Instead, this ad campaign is selling me on how much content Disney+ has for me to waste time on. It doesn't distinguish itself from its competition except by its catalogue.
For me I feel like those that would be moved by such ads already have signed up for Disney+, and now the streaming service has to prove it’s a viable choice to the masses not just Disney fans or families or the kids at heart. Again though thats just my opinion on the matter.

Also ending today with some Korean from The Bop! Doing some research and it seems like it just opened last month, but the food is quality! I ordered Chicken Katsu which came with Miso Soup, a scrumptious Potato Croquette, a side salad of some kind and a base of seasoned rice which was delicious!

F0826717-E59E-477B-9B1E-736325CB1538.jpeg

We also got some popcorn chicken appetizer as it was bogo, and my parents ordered Nicaraguan (declined as my stefad is Nica and we eat plenty of it back home). The popcorn chicken was nicely seasoned and very tasty, the dipping sauce was nice and tangy as well. We stored the rest in the fridge in case someone needs a snack.

Consumer

For me I feel like those that would be moved by such ads already have signed up for Disney+, and now the streaming service has to prove it’s a viable choice to the masses not just Disney fans or families or the kids at heart. Again though thats just my opinion on the matter.
Like I said, I understand it, I just don't like it. It is a classic example of stripping individuality and identity to appeal to a mass market. It's one of the greatest problems with capitalism. In order to appeal to the most amount of people, the product must be made as generic and dumbed down as possible. I get it, I just don't like it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

View attachment 659457
View attachment 659461

View attachment 659459

View attachment 659463

View attachment 659462

Sounds like an awesome day! Hopefully Duke’s was good. If nothing else you get a great view of the water and a nice excuse to drive PCH!

Californian Elitist

Quick question: tomorrow is our Hollywood sign day! Is there a particular spot yall suggest to get a good view of the sign?

Found this hike online:
I’m going to guess that some of us aren’t the best folks to ask because we likely haven’t been to the Hollywood sign. At least not very close. I personally don’t know a single native Angeleno that’s purposefully gone to see the sign lol.

I’ve heard the Runyon Canyon hike gets folks to the sign. You’re probably good with the one you found online as well!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I’m going to guess that some of us aren’t the best folks to ask because we likely haven’t been to the Hollywood sign. At least not very close. I personally don’t know a single native Angeleno that’s purposefully gone to see the sign lol.

I’ve heard the Runyon Canyon hike gets folks to the sign. You’re probably good with the one you found online as well!
True. The only times I’ve seen the sign is from Hollywood & Highland/Dolby complex or from the Hollywood Bowl. And I’ve lived here for all 33 years of my life. Lol.

Californian Elitist

True. The only times I’ve seen the sign is from Hollywood & Highland/Dolby complex or from the Hollywood Bowl. And I’ve lived here for all 33 years of my life. Lol.
Same lmaooo, the closest I’ve gotten is at one of those ledges at the Hollywood and Highland Center and at the Hollywood Bowl.😂 The views of the sign are actually nice from those spots. I get the interest in the Hollywood sign from out-of-towners, but we’re immune to it, naturally, since we’re from and live here. Reminds me of when I freaked out after seeing the Colosseum, but my best friend, who’s native to Rome, had no reaction and just doesn’t care lol.

TP2000

Shocked they're still in the ride. I thought they would be one of the first things to go as they've been controversial since well before today's PC era.

No kidding! I distinctly remember riding Peter Pan's Flight around the 50th, and passing the Indian chief going Ugh! on the audio track, and I thought "Really?..."

And that was over 15 years ago, and I'm an evil white guy who just happens to have a casual interest in West Coast tribal cultures and their art, and even I thought it was a bit tacky over 15 years ago. But in 2022... it's still there. 🧐

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom