The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

Can someone explain what the tweeter was saying? Im confused.
Hahahaha I genuinely love your confusion over the AAVE (African American Vernacular English) used in the tweet. It’s used so much by many different people other than black Americans that I now find it refreshing when someone actually needs translation.

Basically, they’re making light of Woody recognizing that there were black children calling out to Jessie, and due to what’s been recently happening with Sesame Place and even Disneyland, Woody made sure that Jessie acknowledged the kids to prevent any sort of “cancellation,” backlash, etc.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hahahaha I genuinely love your confusion over the AAVE (African American Vernacular English) used in the tweet. It’s used so much by many different people other than black Americans that I now find it refreshing when someone actually needs translation.

Basically, they’re making light of Woody recognizing that there were black children calling out to Jessie, and due to what’s been recently happening with Sesame Place and even Disneyland, Woody made sure that Jessie acknowledged the kids to prevent any sort of “cancellation,” backlash, etc.

I have to resort to urban dictionary more than I care to admit. It’s one of those fun reminders I’m getting old.

The same is true of almost all celebrities stories, I say “who?” on almost every single celebrity article now because I’ve never heard of the vast majority of them.

Californian Elitist

I have to resort to urban dictionary more than I care to admit. It’s one of those fun reminders I’m getting old.

The same is true of almost all celebrities stories, I say “who?” on almost every single celebrity article now because I’ve never heard of the vast majority of them.
I’m with you on the “celebrity” thing. I put it in quotes because the majority of the people I’ve never heard of are influencers, and I don’t like looking at them as celebrities. I personally can’t stand influencer culture, for the most part. I follow one traveling influencer on Instagram, and that’s because she shares valuable information on how students can get scholarships to study abroad, and I genuinely enjoy seeing where she travels to next. She’s not a typical influencer. So yeah, we’re in the same boat. I too find myself going “who?” a lot more often now.

EPCOTCenterLover

I've looked at Urban Dictionary. No longer. I was blushing much too often!

Rich T

“Luck” thoughts…

I am so disappointed. Been looking forward to the Lasseter-produced movie “Luck” for months and… Man, this movie needed more time in the oven.

Spoilers!!!!

It has one fantastic, charming sequence: the one where the girl chases the cat through the city. And Jeff the Unicorn is a fun character. Other plusses Include the music and the denizens of Bad Luck. And Bob the Cat is a good character, most of the time. BUT…

The main character, Samantha, has no personality except “spunky”. Her animation—aside from some good slapstick moments— is stiff and lifeless. Her background story is… really familiar. in fact, here’s a list of other properties Luck might remind you of:

Meet the Robinsons
Anastasia
Inside Out
Monsters Inc.
Spirited Away
Stranger Things
Zootopia
Shrek
Minions
Kiki’s Delivery Service

So much of it is a mishmash and so much doesn’t work. That stupid Irish Jig Penny Polishing scene is a good example; a lot of time and effort went into animating overly complex scenes that add nothing and aren’t funny.

Biggest sin and disappointment: The Land of Luck is boring. The writers and director spent a lot of time developing an elaborate process for the manufacture and distribution of good and bad luck… And not one bit of it is entertaining. Convoluted and requiring lots of expository dialogue, sure, but fun? No. In fact, the whole quest for a Lucky Penny idea is not strong enough to carry the film. In fact, it turns out that the very phrase “Lucky Penny” can quickly become super-irritating when it’s repeated constantly throughout a movie!

It’s not an awful film; there are many good moments, and things pick up once we meet the very likable folks who create *bad* luck; they should have been introduced far earlier. The conclusion is sweet, though it ends on a strangely abrupt note. And I wish the message had been more about confidence and perseverance rather than simply the acceptance of bad luck as a force of nature with a purpose.

And Jeff the Unicorn was refreshingly fun—the world needed a fat middle-aged unicorn with a mustache—but his romance with the Dragon CEO was way too similar to Donkey’s love story in Shrek.

Worth seeing, but ultimately a well-intentioned misfire. I hope the next Skydance film fares better.

Last edited:

Phroobar

“Luck” thoughts…

I am so disappointed. Been looking forward to the Lasseter-produced movie “Luck” for months and… Man, this movie needed more time in the oven.

Spoilers!!!!

It has one fantastic, charming sequence: the one where the girl chases the cat through the city. And Jeff the Unicorn is a fun character. And the concept is great. Other plusses Include the music and the denezins of Bad Luck. And Bob the Cat is a good character, most of the time. BUT…

The main character, Samantha, has no personality except “spunky”. Her animation—aside from some good slapstick moments— is stiff and lifeless. Her background story is… really familiar. in fact, here’s a list of other properties Luck might remind you of:

Meet the Robinsons
Anastasia
Inside Out
Monsters Inc.
Spirited Away
Stranger Things
Zootopia
Shrek
Minions
Kiki’s Delivery Service

So much of it is a mishmash and so much doesn’t work. That stupid Irish Jig Penny Polishing scene is good example; a lot of time and effort went into animating overly complex scenes that add nothing and aren’t funny.

Biggest sin and disappointment: The Land of Luck is boring. The writers and director spent a lot of time developing an elaborate process for the manufacture and distribution of good and bad luck… And not one bit of it is entertaining. Convoluted and requiring lots of expository dialogue, sure, but fun? No. In fact, the whole quest for a Lucky Penny idea is not strong enough to carry the film. In fact, it turns out that the very phrase “Lucky Penny” can quickly become super-irritating when it’s repeated constantly throughout a movie!

It’s not an awful film; there are many good moments, and things pick up once we meet the very likable folks who create *bad* luck; they should have been introduced far earlier. The conclusion is sweet, though it ends on a strangely abrupt note. And I wish the message had been more about confidence and perseverance rather than simply the acceptance of bad luck as a force of nature with a purpose.

And Jeff the Unicorn was refreshingly fun—the world needed a fat middle-aged unicorn with a mustache—but his romance with the Dragon CEO was way too similar to Donkey’s love story in Shrek.

Worth seeing, but ultimately a well-intentioned misfire. I hope the next Skydance film fares better.
I just watched the trailer for that and like "Yikes!"

I started to think, what if they made a rated R version of that movie? Then I thought again, "Yikes!"

Rich T

I just watched the trailer for that and like "Yikes!"

I started to think, what if they made a rated R version of that movie? Then I thought again, "Yikes!"
The trailer pretty much lays out the whole plot; expand it to 90 minutes and that’s the movie. No villain, no real tension, just one endless fetch-quest through the luck factory. I’m all for a film being strange and quirky, but here they’re just throwing whimsical ideas at the wall and nothing connects. If they want to do a Miyazaki movie, they shouldn’t dull it down with generic U.S. modern animation humor, and I think that’s what happened here.

PiratesMansion

1/2 a Hot take: Incredicoaster has really grown on me minus the Jack Jack Kebobs and to a lesser extent Mrs Incredibles voice. The queue and entrance are much better than they were with Screamin.
star wars no GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom