The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

It was mediocre, although the best parts would have to be when Ratzenburg's character (forgot his name but it was large root that runs a bar in the land of Badluck) showed up midway through the film alongside the storyline focused on Sam's relationship with an orphaned girl.

While it's top early to judge, Luck isn't the best introduction to the studio's filmography. If anything, I preferred their animated short "Blush" which was an allegory on coping with someone with terminal illness. Specifically breast cancer and based on a true story from one of the members of Skydance.

I will explain more later.
I was also extremely disappointed. Lots of good ideas and fun moments, but the story had almost zero momentum and the main “penny” quest was convoluted and boring. Totally agree that things picked up when Ratzenburg’s character appeared; the movie would have benefitted from all the “Bad Luck” crew being brought into the story much sooner. It all was much like Monsters Inc., but without the instantly relatable concepts like “monsters in your closet.” Pigs in suits writing on clovers that float into the air accompanied by overly dramatic music… I love fantasy and whimsy, but none of this was making me care about whether or not Sam found her freakin’ Lucky Penny.

Vegas Disney Fan

Wow…World of Color truly elevates the park I fully can’t imagine the park without it, it’s breathtaking. Videos nor photos do it justice whatsoever the colors were so vibrant, the movements graceful, just all so grandiose. I ended up seeing both showing

A truly amazing show, it’s a crime they haven’t brought a version of this to AK, that seating area would be absolutely perfect for it. Line the lake and make it happen Disney.

With many more locals, there aren't nearly as many people interested in something like PhotoPass as you would see at WDW.

Even pre-2019 cuts there were never a ton of Photopass photographers in the park.

We used to get photos all the time when they were included with our Maxpass, we didn’t get any this year because we don’t want to pay for them daily.

Final thoughts, as a first timer I do think Disneyland Resort lives up to the ideals of Disney and the magic expected for it. Like many point out the little things add more magic like the roaming characters which are thought were so charming, and delightful to meet.

The roaming characters are absolutely amazing at DL. We were there this weekend and one of the highlights of the whole trip was Cruella “schooling” a little girl, Cruella was telling Chip he would make great shoes (literally telling him his fur would make a great pair of shoes) and a little girl ran up and hugged him… Cruella spent about five minutes giving her a lesson on “boundaries” and “permission” before hugging random people. It was cute and in character and the watching crowd just grew and grew. The best part was after the lesson she asked the little girl how you hug Chip and she just ran up and hugged him again… Cruella was absolutely historical as she called ber back and asked her if she had heard a word she said. Then she said “let’s try again” and had the little girl ask permission and then Chip gave her the biggest hug. It was adorable. You rarely see stuff like that at World because it’s all behind walls.

waltography

One last thing, if y’all have any restaurant recommendations in the Hollywood area or Santa Monica Id be happy to hear them :)
If you want Italian food by way of California, my go-to is Met Him at a Bar along La Brea; love their squid ink frutti di mare! West Hollywood also has a fun Mexican place called Tu Madre that's pretty good too. If you find yourself closer to The Grove/Farmer's Market, I really enjoyed Alma which recently opened (though it's a bit pricey), but really there's so much food in the Farmer's Market that you can't lose there.

waltography

On another note, yesterday was the first day since before the pandemic I was able to hit over 20 rides in a day (full ride list in the spoiler tag). Brings my total ride count for the year to 96 across 11 trips (I started keeping track of this last year after being inspired by Spotify Wrapped haha).

Astro Orbitor
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Haunted Mansion
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Radiator Springs Racers
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!
WEB Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure
Soarin' Around the World
Incredicoaster
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Jungle Cruise
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Autopia
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Alice in Wonderland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Soarin' Around the World

mickEblu

Original Poster
This probably deserves its own thread but Wow is this tacky! Photo shoots in a planter during normal operating hours to make an extra $99 (for 20 minutes) on that patch of Disneyland earth? Is there no stone they’ll leave unturned? Chapeks gotta go like YESTERDAY.

7FA9BAED-7194-447B-B9C3-A3F2C380D8C0.jpeg
E54C410F-AFB6-430C-8F4F-BF985682FB05.jpeg

Must be part of the same initiative as the “Enterprise” bench in Cars Land. You’d think they’re struggling for money. Gross. What happened to Disney “Show?”

Vegas Disney Fan

This probably deserves its own thread but Wow is this tacky! Photo shoots in a planter during normal operating hours to make an extra $99 (for 20 minutes) on that patch of Disneyland earth? Is there no stone they’ll leave unturned? Chapeks gotta go like YESTERDAY.

View attachment 659049View attachment 659050

Must be part of the same initiative as the “Enterprise” bench in Cars Land. You’d think they’re struggling for money. Gross. What happened to Disney “Show?”
We saw them filming in several locations over the weekend, looked like they were shooting a new Disney commercial. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is somehow related.

tcool123

@tcool123 In terms of restaurants, what kind of food are you looking for? While not exactly in Hollywood, but on the cusp, I would recommend visiting Original Farmers Market on 3rd and Fairfax. It’s a 1930s food court with dozens of different food choices. The Grove (outdoor shopping mall) is attached to it and is nice to walk through.
So toursity me didnt know the area, Im in the Beverly Hills area I guess according to my hotel’s name. For refrence I’m walking distance to the Academy Awards Museum. Did exactly that today for tonight’s dinner was great I went to Banana Leaf and really enjoyed my meal, Chicken Rendang, was excited to try a whole new culture for food and had a beignet and glazed doughnut from Bob’s for dessert. We wandered into the Grove and it was very nice, reminded me of Disney Springs a lot in the best ways possible. But yes big hit that area tonight with my family.

I can try and recommend more once I get a feel of the kind of food you’re looking for. Oh, and if you happen to consider stopping by In-N-Out, let us know so we can suggest how you should order your food.
Me personally I like to try new cuisines so anything that isn’t Latin, Italian or traditional American is fair game. Only issue is my mom who exclusively eats Latin (not Mexican), Italian or traditional American fare 😅

Honestly a bunch of restaurants to have on a rolodex of suggestions would be great for that reason. I listed 10 restaurants to her today and all got denied for either being too spicy, foreign or Asian.

If you’re going to the Walk of Fame, keep your expectations extremely low. It’s not a sight to behold, trust me.
I’m expecting dirty streets, trash a plenty, a pee smell and questionable characters about like Times Square. Except not as grand cause its mainly just buildings. Prob going to see a few stars, pass by the Chinese and El Capitan Theaters and the Funko store to make my own Pop figure. Thought about going to the Dolby but the pictures I saw looked like I wouldn’t miss much; anything else in the area I should visit?

I think after we’re gonna drive to Griffith Park enjoy the observatory’s exterior areas, maybe do the Ferndell trail but probably not depending on the heat. Very much going with the flow, but it does seem like that is the day we will be seeing the Hollywood sign.

We always enjoyed Musso and Frank. Old school Hollywood and good food.
It was on my bucket list for the trip, and got vetoed in the planning stages by my mother 😢

This.@tcool123 I cannot overstate the importance of setting your expectations low. But if you’re going to Hollywood I might suggest Mozza on Highland for Italian. There’s a Pizzeria and a more formal Osteria. Both are great for fine dining style Italian food and usually require reservations. Also as @Californian Elitist mentioned the Grove offers quite a bit of options that are convenient and accessible.

I don’t know Santa Monica that well but the promenade has your standard fair with many of my preferred choice being up PCH to the North. For seafood/casual you can’t go wrong with Duke’s in Malibu (sit down, beachcomber style) or Neptune’s Net (fried seafood pick up near the beach) in you’re in that area. For very upscale there always Mastros ocean club for steak and seafood. And of course the famous NoBu for sushi.
Will definitely add Mozza on Highland to the list of potentials, thank you! Wont be bummed if its fully booked as these are last minute plans any ways (the restaurants, the rest not so much). My aunt told my mom we have to eat at The Ivy so thats the only place we had reservations for.

Adding those to the list in case if seafood is the direction we’re going to go in that day. Thank you again!

1212 in the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is really good. I’ve only been for brunch, but the food is delicious. I assume dinner is just as good.
@tcool123 If you want bomb Mexican food, I highly recommend Salsa and Beer in North Hollywood. There are several locations out there.
If you want Italian food by way of California, my go-to is Met Him at a Bar along La Brea; love their squid ink frutti di mare! West Hollywood also has a fun Mexican place called Tu Madre that's pretty good too. If you find yourself closer to The Grove/Farmer's Market, I really enjoyed Alma which recently opened (though it's a bit pricey), but really there's so much food in the Farmer's Market that you can't lose there.
Adding all these to the list I’ve got going, fingers crossed one of these get approved by my mother. Love her but man it can make family trips harder to plan 😅

tcool123

A truly amazing show, it’s a crime they haven’t brought a version of this to AK, that seating area would be absolutely perfect for it. Line the lake and make it happen Disney.
Rivers of Light was our attempt in the swamp, personally I loved it and thought it was beautiful. Not WOC levels, but still a sight to behold as it played perfectly with the park’s message; then it got butchered by infusion of IPs and killed by the pandemic.

We used to get photos all the time when they were included with our Maxpass, we didn’t get any this year because we don’t want to pay for them daily.
They’re included in Genie+, was a great benefit to have as we were gonna use the system regardless.

The roaming characters are absolutely amazing at DL. We were there this weekend and one of the highlights of the whole trip was Cruella “schooling” a little girl, Cruella was telling Chip he would make great shoes (literally telling him his fur would make a great pair of shoes) and a little girl ran up and hugged him… Cruella spent about five minutes giving her a lesson on “boundaries” and “permission” before hugging random people. It was cute and in character and the watching crowd just grew and grew. The best part was after the lesson she asked the little girl how you hug Chip and she just ran up and hugged him again… Cruella was absolutely historical as she called ber back and asked her if she had heard a word she said. Then she said “let’s try again” and had the little girl ask permission and then Chip gave her the biggest hug. It was adorable. You rarely see stuff like that at World because it’s all behind walls.
That sounds hysterical, and like oure Disney magic; I would’ve lived to see it. Really wished Disney World allowed for this crossing of paths and sporadic meetings, but alas doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

On another note, yesterday was the first day since before the pandemic I was able to hit over 20 rides in a day (full ride list in the spoiler tag). Brings my total ride count for the year to 96 across 11 trips (I started keeping track of this last year after being inspired by Spotify Wrapped haha).

Astro Orbitor
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Haunted Mansion
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Radiator Springs Racers
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!
WEB Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure
Soarin' Around the World
Incredicoaster
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Jungle Cruise
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Autopia
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Alice in Wonderland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Soarin' Around the World
Not sure how you keep track but for keeping score of the parks I visit I use LogRide, and then notes to get the order right so I can better remember my trip when I tell my family and friends about it

Californian Elitist

So toursity me didnt know the area, Im in the Beverly Hills area I guess according to my hotel’s name. For refrence I’m walking distance to the Academy Awards Museum. Did exactly that today for tonight’s dinner was great I went to Banana Leaf and really enjoyed my meal, Chicken Rendang, was excited to try a whole new culture for food and had a beignet and glazed doughnut from Bob’s for dessert. We wandered into the Grove and it was very nice, reminded me of Disney Springs a lot in the best ways possible. But yes big hit that area tonight with my family.

Me personally I like to try new cuisines so anything that isn’t Latin, Italian or traditional American is fair game. Only issue is my mom who exclusively eats Latin (not Mexican), Italian or traditional American fare 😅

Honestly a bunch of restaurants to have on a rolodex of suggestions would be great for that reason. I listed 10 restaurants to her today and all got denied for either being too spicy, foreign or Asian.
One of my best friends is exactly like your mother, except she likes Mexican food. Anything that’s not American or an American take on ethnic food, like Italian-American, is a no-go. When we were planning out visit to MK, I suggested we eat at Skipper Canteen because the food looked and sounded good to me. She quickly passed, as there was nothing on the menu that looked good to her. We ended up eating chicken tenders and fries. Boring and uninspiring lol. It was good, though.

Very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed Original Farmers Market. Given your mom’s picky tastes, it seems that it was a good option. I have a feeling I know where you’re staying. Are you on Wilshire?

If you're looking for Italian, my favorite spot to hit up is Osteria Mamma on Melrose. It’s not Italian-American, though. It’s the closest to the Italian food I had in Italy so far. The owner and many of the servers actually hail from Italy. I figured I’d mention that, in case you were looking for Italian-American.

Let us know if you have more questions/need more recommendations!

EDIT: Your Walk of Fame expectations sound appropriate lol. Expect seediness and weirdos. I will say that the theaters are beautiful. The El Capitan is beautiful. If you have time, maybe you could see whatever is playing there at the moment. There’s a Ghirardelli attached to the theater, but it’s nothing unique. CityWalk/Universal is very close to the Walk of Fame, so you could check that out, if you want.

Californian Elitist

@tcool123 Porto’s is a Cuban bakery that serves good food, breads, and sweets for cheap. The only thing is it’s not within a short drive from where you’re staying. I figured I’d still mention it, just in case, since your mom likes Latin food.

EDIT: Carney’s on Sunset in Hollywood may be another good option. It’s a burger and hot dog spot, and they also serve other typical foods found on American menus. The restaurant is built in two reused trains. The food is simple, but good and not very expensive.

tcool123

Very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed Original Farmers Market. Given your mom’s picky tastes, it seems that it was a good option. I have a feeling I know where you’re staying. Are you on Wilshire?
One thing about the Farmers Market it clicked that this is where Disney likely got the inspiration for the quick service area in Sunset Boulevard at DHS, and it was cool to see the park’s inspiration in action.

Yes! We’re on Wilshire, I just don’t remember the name off the top of my head.

If you're looking for Italian, my favorite spot to hit up is Osteria Mamma on Melrose. It’s not Italian-American, though. It’s the closest to the Italian food I had in Italy so far. The owner and many of the servers actually hail from Italy. I figured I’d mention that, in case you were looking for Italian-American.
Sounds promising, I have a feelin we likely will end up having Italian at some point so hopefully one of these suggestions get her stamp of approval 🤞🏻

Let us know if you have more questions/need more recommendations!
Will do! Once again thank y’all so much, with all of your help this trip has been amazing :)

EDIT: Your Walk of Fame expectations sound appropriate lol. Expect seediness and weirdos. I will say that the theaters are beautiful. The El Capitan is beautiful. If you have time, maybe you could see whatever is playing there at the moment. There’s a Ghirardelli attached to the theater, but it’s nothing unique. CityWalk/Universal is very close to the Walk of Fame, so you could check that out, if you want.
Haha thanks, my cousins, brother and sis in law went three years ago and that’s how they all described it to us. I would love to watch something at the El Capitan, but my mother vetoed that months ago refusing to waste time with a movie. Maybe we’ll check out CityWalk after, I’ve heard it has more to see than Florida’s in terms of stores.

@tcool123 Porto’s is a Cuban bakery that serves good food, breads, and sweets for cheap. The only thing is it’s not within a short drive from where you’re staying. I figured I’d still mention it, just in case, since your mom likes Latin food.

EDIT: Carney’s on Sunset in Hollywood may be another good option. It’s a burger and hot dog spot, and they also serve other typical foods found on American menus. The restaurant is built in two reused trains. The food is simple, but good and not very expensive.
Cuban is the perfect food for her as we’re Cuban 😅
If one of these days we found ourselves nearish we may stop in to try out their pastelitos and croquetas.

Ooo that sounds cool, even if we don’t eat there the concept of the reused trains is really neat!

tcool123

When we were planning out visit to MK, I suggested we eat at Skipper Canteen because the food looked and sounded good to me. She quickly passed, as there was nothing on the menu that looked good to her. We ended up eating chicken tenders and fries. Boring and uninspiring lol. It was good, though.
If you end up back at Magic Kingdom, and land in a similar predicament I recommend the Harbor House in Liberty Square; they have some great hush puppies that I usually opt for instead of the fries so you get a bit of flair with the chicken tenders. I believe you can even fried shrimp with the chicken as well just the ways to zhoosh it up.

DCBaker

Premium Member
“A major rodent infestation of a Disneyland shop left vermin droppings in a sales area and forced the closure of a food facility at the Anaheim theme park that Walt Disney once famously said “all started with a mouse.”

The Environmental Health Division of the Orange County Health Care Agency closed a Disneyland retail location on July 29 for rodent infestation, according to county records.

There was no mention of Mickey — the mouse that started it all — or his longtime girlfriend Minnie in the Retail Food Facility Inspection Report from the county health agency.

The food facility — identified only as Disneyland Guide 2 — was closed due to “imminent health hazards” caused by a major rodent infestation in a critical food area, according to county records. The closure — related to a retail location rather than a restaurant — has been cleared to reopen by the health agency.

A health inspector observed rodent droppings in a storage room and the front sales area of the Disneyland shop.

Disneyland was ordered to remove the infestation, thoroughly clean all affected surfaces and prevent rodents from entering the retail location. Disneyland staff removed prepackaged food and beverages and discontinued sales until gaps and cracks were sealed to prevent rodent intrusion.

The Disneyland Guide 2 shop reopened on Aug. 1 after a re-inspection by the O.C. health agency. A follow-up inspection was scheduled for Monday, Aug. 8.”

Phroobar

“A major rodent infestation of a Disneyland shop left vermin droppings in a sales area and forced the closure of a food facility at the Anaheim theme park that Walt Disney once famously said “all started with a mouse.”

The Environmental Health Division of the Orange County Health Care Agency closed a Disneyland retail location on July 29 for rodent infestation, according to county records.

There was no mention of Mickey — the mouse that started it all — or his longtime girlfriend Minnie in the Retail Food Facility Inspection Report from the county health agency.

The food facility — identified only as Disneyland Guide 2 — was closed due to “imminent health hazards” caused by a major rodent infestation in a critical food area, according to county records. The closure — related to a retail location rather than a restaurant — has been cleared to reopen by the health agency.

A health inspector observed rodent droppings in a storage room and the front sales area of the Disneyland shop.

Disneyland was ordered to remove the infestation, thoroughly clean all affected surfaces and prevent rodents from entering the retail location. Disneyland staff removed prepackaged food and beverages and discontinued sales until gaps and cracks were sealed to prevent rodent intrusion.

The Disneyland Guide 2 shop reopened on Aug. 1 after a re-inspection by the O.C. health agency. A follow-up inspection was scheduled for Monday, Aug. 8.”

Those cats aren't doing their jobs. Too many free handouts.
gfdg.jpg

Rich T

View attachment 659049View attachment 659050

Veruca: “Daddy, I want a golden goose!”
Mr. Salt: “Awright, Wonka, how much?”
Wonka: “They’re not for sa—“
Bob Chapek: “HUNDRED GRAND!!! Wonka, you’re fired.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom