The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

^^^^^This.
We are native Texans, but, we also lived in No Cal (as well as AL for 18 mos. before that) from ‘68-76 (and yes, I know, different than So Cal 😉). We moved back to Texas in ‘76, and have not moved again.
When we lived in Cali., we traveled all over the state...
North, south, east, west. Everywhere from Redwood National Park, to San Diego, to Truckee, to San Francisco, and sooo many places in between.
The vast majority of people around the world are/seem to be aware of California’s immense beauty.
But, I am continually amazed at how many people seem to think Texas is all cactus, cattle ranches, and dry, flat, treeless land.
Maybe because they’ve only ever flown over north Texas, had a layover at DFW, driven through the panhandle on I-40, or Hollywood maybe...?
Texas is actually full of diverse landscapes, that so many are not aware of.
The Central Texas Hill Country, the coastal plains and hundreds of miles of Gulf of Mexico coastline, the Piney Woods of East Texas, the high plains of North Texas, the mountains of West Texas (where there are 7 mountain peaks well above 8,000 ft, and 30 more between that and 5,360 ft.), and the valley of South Texas.
But, as more and more people find out, more and more are flocking here. Our Central Texas (Austin) area is continually ranked as one of the, if not the, fastest growing area in the US.
Sad in a way, because we are loosing more and more of our original character, but, change happens...!!! ;)
I’ll just drop some Central Texas pics here (the last pic is of the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office)...try not to all pack up and head this way at once, please...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)View attachment 350942View attachment 350943View attachment 350944View attachment 350945View attachment 350946View attachment 350947View attachment 350948
Golf courses can make anything look good. Kidding--I think Texas is awesome. :)

donaldtoo

Golf courses can make anything look good. Kidding--I think Texas is awesome. :)

Hahaaa...!!!!! :hilarious:

I posted those pics from my little iPhone last night (got 'em off the interwebs) and didn't even notice the golf course in that 4th one...!!!!! :cyclops: :hilarious:
The last one I knew about, of course, because I drive across that bridge on my commute to and from the office.
They have been setting up there (Austin Country Club) the past coupla' weeks for the Dell Match Play tournament coming up in late March.

Also, I guess I should mention (meant to last night :cyclops:), along with having lived in Texas, Alabama, and California, I've also visited many other states.
In no particular order...
Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida (obviously ;)), New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.
So, almost half of the contiguous 48...!!! :)

SteamboatJoe

^^^^^This.
We are native Texans, but, we also lived in No Cal (as well as AL for 18 mos. before that) from ‘68-76 (and yes, I know, different than So Cal 😉). We moved back to Texas in ‘76, and have not moved again.
When we lived in Cali., we traveled all over the state...
North, south, east, west. Everywhere from Redwood National Park, to San Diego, to Truckee, to San Francisco, and sooo many places in between.
The vast majority of people around the world are/seem to be aware of California’s immense beauty.
But, I am continually amazed at how many people seem to think Texas is all cactus, cattle ranches, and dry, flat, treeless land.
Maybe because they’ve only ever flown over north Texas, had a layover at DFW, driven through the panhandle on I-40, or Hollywood maybe...?
Texas is actually full of diverse landscapes, that so many are not aware of.
The Central Texas Hill Country, the coastal plains and hundreds of miles of Gulf of Mexico coastline, the Piney Woods of East Texas, the high plains of North Texas, the mountains of West Texas (where there are 7 mountain peaks well above 8,000 ft, and 30 more between that and 5,360 ft.), and the valley of South Texas.
But, as more and more people find out, more and more are flocking here. Our Central Texas (Austin) area is continually ranked as one of the, if not the, fastest growing area in the US.
Sad in a way, because we are loosing more and more of our original character, but, change happens...!!! ;)
I’ll just drop some Central Texas pics here (the last pic is of the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office)...try not to all pack up and head this way at once, please...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)View attachment 350942View attachment 350943View attachment 350944View attachment 350945View attachment 350946View attachment 350947View attachment 350948
Try being from Ohio. I'm not saying it's in the same league as California or Texas, but not every part of the state is a flat cornfield. And even then, on the right day along the right stretch of road, even a cornfield can have some beauty.

donaldtoo

Try being from Ohio. I'm not saying it's in the same league as California or Texas, but not every part of the state is a flat cornfield. And even then, on the right day along the right stretch of road, even a cornfield can have some beauty.

Oh, I know Ohio isn't all flat cornfields, by some of the pics a member here has posted of her family travels around the state (even though I don't ever remember thinkin' it was all flat cornfields before).
Yep, a lot of corn fields here too, as well as cotton, grain sorghum, wheat, etc.
Texas produces about 40% of the nations cotton.
So, still a lot of flat land around Texas too, but, with the state being so large, there's a whole lot more to it than that...!!! :)

George Lucas on a Bench

I kinda liked the Paramount Kings Island park. It had a large teal-colored replica of the Eiffel Tower at the entrance for no apparent reason. I remember there was an especially intense wooden roller coaster that went upside down called the Son of Beast. I don't know if anyone was killed or severely injured on the ride, but it was so bad they ended up actually destroying it when it was still fairly new.

There was also a very strange ride based on Tomb Raider and awkwardly dated roller coasters very, very vaguely tied to Paramount movies such as Top Gun and, unbelievably, Face Off. What were they thinking.

Sharon&Susan

Every time I visit the backlot area of Hollywoodland, I immediately want to leave DCA ang go to Disneyland. Moving the Marvel props from the second floor of Innoventions into the Millionaire sound stage and making it a mini-exhibit, making the former H&D soundstage into a restaurant again, and having a permanent live show in the Muppet theater would all do wonders in making that sub-section less dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom