The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

Lol. I actually have my issues with California. I hate the traffic, smog, congestion etc...

But I didn’t understand what that last comment had to do with the post. The whole post compared SFMM to Cedar Fair. I don’t recall anyone here saying California is the end all be all of anything. So I just want to know what state is the end all be all of states or if such a thing even exists.
We don't have smog. Flight to the Moon said it was eliminated back in 1985.

Besides, the end all be all state is Delaware.

BrianLo

Lol. I actually have my issues with California. I hate the traffic, smog, congestion etc...

But I didn’t understand what that last comment had to do with the post. The whole post compared SFMM to Cedar Fair. I don’t recall anyone here saying California is the end all be all of anything. So I just want to know what state is the end all be all of states or if such a thing even exists.

Canada is... America’s 52nd state.

But in all seriousness California is probably the best all around-er (I have nothing In this game). Other states offer tons, but not the sheer density.

But California is huge so it’s somewhat of a cheat. SoCal and NorCal are like two different states in a sense.

Touchdown

Cedar Point had so many roller coasters it was overwhelming. It's like the screen rides at Universal. You can only do so many before you start to feel like crap.

I feel like that’s more like SFMM, cut out kiddie rides and coasters and you still have 26 rides, 5 shows, a new interactive game that sounds like Ghost Town Alive, and a Beach. Contrast that with SFMM and you have 16 rides and usually no shows during the summer months by my quick count.

PiratesMansion

California has many virtues but really, Magic Mountain isn't one of them.

Cedar Point may not have the quantity at this point, but they might be the most top-heavy coaster collection in the country, helped by an effort throughout the decade to prune out the dead weight that existed in their coaster collection. It also:
-has a much lower risk of heat stroke in the summer
-remembers that there are people that come to parks that want to ride things other than roller coasters or kiddie rides
-has fantastic operations that put most other parks (definitely including MM) to shame
-has been upgrading its infrastructure, including the park proper, the beach, and the hotels consistently instead of just letting things rot and become decrepit a la MM
-has a better balance of coasters (Magic Mountain's collection is great, but too positive-G heavy; Cedar Point's collection contains a better mix of positive-G AND negative-G experiences)
-Has offerings in the park for the non-rider (the museum and Frontier Trail)
-Can take care of transportation rides instead of just letting them sit there, abandoned and rotting
-Is self-evidently better maintained and kept up
-Isn't run by Six Flags
-Doesn't involve climbing hills in the desert, which is definitely better on paper than in reality

Among many other wonderful qualities :)

Californian Elitist

Magic Mountain is a classic destination for many who grew up here in Southern California. That’s undeniable, and I feel there’s no sense in trying to convince us Cedar Point is the best, and there’s no point in trying to convince others that Magic Mountain is the best.

They both offer great coasters and experiences for guests.

PiratesMansion

Magic Mountain is a classic destination for many who grew up here in Southern California. That’s undeniable, and I feel there’s no sense in trying to convince us Cedar Point is the best, and there’s no point in trying to convince others that Magic Mountain is the best.

They both offer great coasters and experiences for guests.

Totally agree, us non-Californians just become nonplussed by posts that basically cry out "Magic Mountain simply MUST be better because it is in God's State, California!" by people who have clearly never left the state, or at least never left it with their eyes open!

Thank you, by the way, for not being one of those people!

Californian Elitist

Totally agree, us non-Californians just become nonplussed by posts that basically cry out "Magic Mountain simply MUST be better because it is in God's State, California!" by people who have clearly never left the state, or at least never left it with their eyes open!

Thank you, by the way, for not being one of those people!

Everyone is always biased towards their home or where they grew up, but it can become ridiculous at times. Like you said, when people like to judge or make negative comments about other states without ever having been...it drives me crazy.

I like to keep an open mind.

Touchdown

Seriously, a Disney board is the last place I expected to ever have to defend Cedar Point over Magic Mountain. To those of you who haven’t traveled to other parks around the country, I’ve been fortunate to visit most of the major parks in this country (every US Disney park, Universal Park, Cedar Fair Park, SEAS park, and most of the major independent parks). Due to my dislike of the chain, most of the parks I haven’t visited are Six Flags Park (my biggest miss at the moment being Great Adventure) and of the parks I’ve visited SFMM is my 4th favorite SF park. Here is a list of parks I would unquestionably place above SFMM:
-Every Disney Park
-Every Universal Park
-Every SEAS park (this is Sea World and Busch Gardens)
-3 Cedar Fair parks (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Knott’s)
-3 Six Flags Parks (Fiesta Texas, Over Texas, Over Georgia)
-2 Hershunds Family Parks (Dollywood, Silver Dollar City)
-3 independent parks (Holiday World, Kennywood, Hersheypark)

If you haven’t been to parks outside of California here is a great list of places I would suggest starting at.

George Lucas on a Bench

Batman: The Ride was one of the most disappointing experiences of my childhood. There was the Disney and Universal way of translating beloved things into theme park attractions and then there was that bloody migraine machine with a Batman logo slapped on the sign. I've certainly been let down worse, such as the female Ghostbusters movie and Independence Day: Resurgence, but that's not saying much.

Sharon&Susan

Disney should just slap a Daredevil logo on to the Matterhorn. After all if it's good enough for Six Flags...

donaldtoo

Everyone is always biased towards their home or where they grew up, but it can become ridiculous at times. Like you said, when people like to judge or make negative comments about other states without ever having been...it drives me crazy.

I like to keep an open mind.

^^^^^This.
We are native Texans, but, we also lived in No Cal (as well as AL for 18 mos. before that) from ‘68-76 (and yes, I know, different than So Cal 😉). We moved back to Texas in ‘76, and have not moved again.
When we lived in Cali., we traveled all over the state...
North, south, east, west. Everywhere from Redwood National Park, to San Diego, to Truckee, to San Francisco, and sooo many places in between.
The vast majority of people around the world are/seem to be aware of California’s immense beauty.
But, I am continually amazed at how many people seem to think Texas is all cactus, cattle ranches, and dry, flat, treeless land.
Maybe because they’ve only ever flown over north Texas, had a layover at DFW, driven through the panhandle on I-40, or Hollywood maybe...?
Texas is actually full of diverse landscapes, that so many are not aware of.
The Central Texas Hill Country, the coastal plains and hundreds of miles of Gulf of Mexico coastline, the Piney Woods of East Texas, the high plains of North Texas, the mountains of West Texas (where there are 7 mountain peaks well above 8,000 ft, and 30 more between that and 5,360 ft.), and the valley of South Texas.
But, as more and more people find out, more and more are flocking here. Our Central Texas (Austin) area is continually ranked as one of the, if not the, fastest growing area in the US.
Sad in a way, because we are loosing more and more of our original character, but, change happens...!!! ;)
I’ll just drop some Central Texas pics here (the last pic is of the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office)...try not to all pack up and head this way at once, please...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Californian Elitist

^^^^^This.
We are native Texans, but, we also lived in No Cal (as well as AL for 18 mos. before that) from ‘68-76 (and yes, I know, different than So Cal 😉). We moved back to Texas in ‘76, and have not moved again.
When we lived in Cali., we traveled all over the state...
North, south, east, west. Everywhere from Redwood National Park, to San Diego, to Truckee, to San Francisco, and sooo many places in between.
The vast majority of people around the world are/seem to be aware of California’s immense beauty.
But, I am continually amazed at how many people seem to think Texas is all cactus, cattle ranches, and dry, flat, treeless land.
Maybe because they’ve only ever flown over north Texas, had a layover at DFW, driven through the panhandle on I-40, or Hollywood maybe...?
Texas is actually full of diverse landscapes, that so many are not aware of.
The Central Texas Hill Country, the coastal plains and hundreds of miles of Gulf of Mexico coastline, the Piney Woods of East Texas, the high plains of North Texas, the mountains of West Texas (where there are 7 mountain peaks well above 8,000 ft, and 30 more between that and 5,360 ft.), and the valley of South Texas.
But, as more and more people find out, more and more are flocking here. Our Central Texas (Austin) area is continually ranked as one of the, if not the, fastest growing area in the US.
Sad in a way, because we are loosing more and more of our original character, but, change happens...!!! ;)
I’ll just drop some Central Texas pics here (the last pic is of the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office)...try not to all pack up and head this way at once, please...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)View attachment 350942View attachment 350943View attachment 350944View attachment 350945View attachment 350946View attachment 350947View attachment 350948

Every time I think of naturally beautiful states, Texas always comes to mind! If I had to leave California, Texas would be a viable option for me, without a doubt.

Animaniac93-98

The United States is the prettiest nation in the world.

It certainly has the most eclectic mix of geography and architecture in the World, though I like the South West best for weather and scenery.

I've vacationed in 6 US states so far, but of the ones I haven't Texas is high on the list to do. :)

Rich T

Have you ever searched the internet to see if something you posted eons ago still exists?

I made these AR Mii Beatles (The Miitles) while working as a game reviewer when Nintendo's 3DS launched... The world wasn't ready for AR back then. Looks like Universal will be the first to work it into a major ride (Mariokart).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom