The Grizz Will Roar!!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm of the impression that Disney has to do what they have to do to succeed as a business. If CoP is not going to be cost-effective to keep around anymore, then it's time for it to go...

I don't argue that it was great for it's time. Move it to epcot or the smithsonian...but it's essentially in the way of what is seeming to be a much larger plan for that area.

People tried protesting toad too...and it did no good. This thread has gotten insane with people trying to save it. And while that may not be a bad thing, some people have definitely gone off the deep end a little bit. Nothing in life is that sacred....except family. It's just a ride...life will go on.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Fievel said:
Nothing in life is that sacred....except family.

Great point about this value system. However, the values of a lot of the posters here are on different levels. . . so what we're passionate about is extreme in one eye, while moderate in another. Maybe some us are saving the family experience, perhaps, as that's where families go and have fun. . . but our love for Disney is nowhere near this.

Thank you for your input, Fievel. I like your Epcot idea.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We all will have memories of certain things that we loved as kids, and may even love more as adults...we want our kids and our families to share those experiences with us....

What we need to remember is that anything...and everything....can and will be remembered as "special". We don't need to hold on to nostalgia to make us remember what it was like to be young with wide eyes.

We don't know...if they tear it down/out, they may replace it with something that may make the next generation just as nostaligic when they grow older.

I'm all for progress....I guess that's just my view....I don't need to just update CoP for nostalgia...

ucanfly

Griz that was an awesome interpretation of what is happening at Disney. Like it actaully touched me! lol!

Just one question to everyone though, (I'm not trying to put you down or anything griz, just wondering) if you were running disney, what changes would you make to the company, and how would you make the changes while staying in budget?

(ps.. if someone wants to make this a new thread topic go for it)

WDWScottieBoy

As far as posters about the classics, I think they should make a new Disney Treasures DVD about classic Disney rides/shows. They could put this one on it, and have the poster/collector sheet inside it of CoP. Then they can make large ones of that and post them around WDW. Just a thought to help bring some people to Walt's ride.

Is there anywhere we can contact someone about those Treasure DVDs and comment about what we would like to see? I would love to send them a letter/email about making a DVD of the classics...anyone else agree?

jrashadb

So... I've been thinking about this...

The last time I rode CoP I was kinda embarassed by the final scene... it was so outdated. I was hoping it would be different from the way when it closed, but it's not. Someone mentioned the whole laser disk thing... I kind of slumped doen in my seat when I heard that/

So, the natural thig would be to update it, right?

But, here's the problem. Say you update the final scene... how big of a jump would that be? how many technological advances would the ride be jumping to go from the second to last scene to the last scene, updated to talk about current and future technoligies.

now, I live CoP.. It's kinda... you know... corny, but I love it. I just don't know what to do about it. I mean... if we want it to work, the ride might have to be completely refurbed to change all the eras in order for the final scene to work. And, if that's the case... well... doesn't that kid of defeat the purpose of having it around in the first place?

I dunno... I'm just kind of conflicted about it.

DisneyFan 2000

Fievel, from a management point of view maybe it should be closed. The thing is, Disney has more than enough money to keep ONE attraction that Walt requested. It was and will be his only request. I think it's only fair to respect his single request. Don't you?

Expo_Seeker40

jrashadb I see your point well! It has been stated before that the easiest solution in a technicality would be of course to keep the CoP on WDW property, and somewheres in EPCOT Center is the best spot for it. Now if it was ment to be historical, and not ''mod", then yes I agree we should of course have the latest in sound, lighting, AA's, etc, I even suggest they do something about the curtains, make it look more theater-like, any how I am all for the original acts to be restored.

Act 1: 1900

Act 2: 1920

Act 3: 1940

Act 4: 1960

Now of course while that would be great for a Disney tribute ride, or museum piece, in order to function better you need to expand the ride. YES abosultely it will cost money, but if they can do it right, it will be a success.

The first three acts are very similar to what they were in 1964, I could get reall picky and state all of the changes, but to keep everyone's sanity, I won't. :lol:

So in an expanded EPCOT Center version. [Demolish the Odysey building, if they aren't gonna use it, and stick the CoP there.]

The first four acts would be nearly identical to what they were in 1964, act 5 would be 1980, act 6 would be the way 2000 really was, and act 7 can be "tomorrow", yes we have a fixed focus on the entire 20th century with 100 years of progress, every 20 years, but to maintan progress, they can allow act 7 to be the only thing to update, and make that very futuristic. If we keep on updating act 4 as it is, I wouldnt ride the ride from 1940 to 2020.

Now I figure the show will be about 45 minutes long, well my proposal is, thats how long it will be then...forever. :cool: This is about the same time frame as Universe of Energy, and somehow I think CoP in a 45 minute time frame will make time go faster.

General Grizz

Original Poster
WDWScottieBoy said:
Is there anywhere we can contact someone about those Treasure DVDs and comment about what we would like to see? I would love to send them a letter/email about making a DVD of the classics...anyone else agree?

That would be cool, but Disney does not accept ideas from the public (very touchy about legal issues).

But I agree; I would "kill" for DVDs of attractions.

General Grizz

Original Poster
ucanfly said:
Griz that was an awesome interpretation of what is happening at Disney. Like it actaully touched me! lol!

Just one question to everyone though, (I'm not trying to put you down or anything griz, just wondering) if you were running disney, what changes would you make to the company, and how would you make the changes while staying in budget?

(ps.. if someone wants to make this a new thread topic go for it)
Hold that thought. Actually, try a search feature, because we've answered that question a lot. . . but I think you'll soon find a different type of response in the coming weeks (I'll keep you all posted).

BeachClubVillas

Grizz, you are simply wonderful. I just got back from Disney a couple of weeks ago and was truly disheartened by what I saw at Epcot. Epcot used to be a two-day park and even then you didn't get to see everything. Now, however, it's a one and a half day park. I long for the days of Horizons, World of Motion, the sea cabs at The Living Seas, and the Wonders of Life pavillion. I understand that change needs to happen, but with room for at least two new theme parks, why does change and progress have to come at the expense of thw Disney that has worked so well for so many years?

General Grizz

Original Poster
BeachClub - I'm sorry to hear you were so disheartened. How long ago was your last Epcot visit? I usually haven't been "stabbed" at Epcot, but, yes, disheartened to see things like "JIYI," etc. over the years. I've still had a great time, though.

Good, yet sad, post.

Shaman

ucanfly said:
Fair question...This is what I would do....

Themeparks:

Short Term:
Invest on the Classics...major rehabs...update, add small new effects, make them new, don't replace them....also how about a new eticket for MK and another ride for AK....no more resorts for the time being...

Long Term:

MK--move Jungle Cruise to AK, and build a small "Jules Verne area" perhaps...with a Fire Mountain type of attraction or how about Journey? Or the return of 20K Leagues?? Move CoP to Epcot...and totally redo Space Mountain...luanch, loops and all...
AK--new continent, South America, with Jungle Cruise (with live animals) as main attraction...dark ride based on Emperor's New Groove or another Disney film could fit here, you know for the kiddies...
Studios--Redo Great Movie Ride...make it all based on Disney movies...add a different element aswell, make it more emmersive than what they have now...drop MGM from the park name...adding Indi ride, and updating Star Tours are also important
Epcot--No more innoventions as we know it today...CoP is in the center of the FW "plaza" where the info station stands now...behind SSE...surrounded by massive gardens and two smaller buildings with exhibits of advances in technology...add a new pavilion between TLS and The Land, centering at around Weather perhaps...also how about a new Pavilion in WS...Spain!!

TV

How about selling half of ABC if not the whole thing...and do we really need all those cable networks...

How about improving the quality of the Disney Channel....

Movies

Animation:
Invest on 2D and 3D...and end reliability on outside studios...quantity is not important quality is...so one release a year...2D and 3D taking turns (one every other year)...

Live Action:
More quality movies...and taking opportunities not losing them...how can Disney have let LotR slip through...

Just my opinion though....;)

When I first read Griz's post I thought I was watching animal house when John Belushi gave his famous speech to the Delta members. I was pumped. The bottom line is we all love Disney and we want to see the right things done to make it stay as magical as ever. I will stay tuned for updates.

Figment1986

objr said:
Live Action:
More quality movies...and taking opportunities not losing them...how can Disney have let LotR slip through...

What about a few others, like weren't they thinking about, "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy..." And a few Sci Fi movies??

(Disney Doing LOTR... now im surprised they turned that down...)

disnyfan89

Figment1986 said:
What about a few others, like weren't they thinking about, "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy..." And a few Sci Fi movies??

(Disney Doing LOTR... now im surprised they turned that down...)
Disney is indeed doing hitchikers.

Mirimax was asked if they wanted to make LotR but turned it down when they couldn't get permission to film it in only two movies

cloudboy

Hitchhiker's Guide? Another one?

Somehow that just didn't translate well onto the screen. I would be worried they would rewrite it way too much. Not to mention I think they would be too scared of some of the humor in it.

Kwit35

cloudboy said:
Hitchhiker's Guide? Another one?

Somehow that just didn't translate well onto the screen. I would be worried they would rewrite it way too much. Not to mention I think they would be too scared of some of the humor in it.
Now there is something for Peter Jackson to chew on. :lol:

Woody13

disnyfan89 said:
Disney is indeed doing hitchikers.

Mirimax was asked if they wanted to make LotR but turned it down when they couldn't get permission to film it in only two movies
Bring it on! I have my towel!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom