The General's Call to Arms: Epcot's future -- SAVE THE EARTH!

Although Soarin' will be exiting, what are the worst ways it can influence the Land?

• Kabaret Theatre replaced by queue or gift shop.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Sunshine Season Food Fair removed.

Votes: 53 31.9%
  • Atmosphere removed with hustle and bustle.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • Soarin' over California doesn't match the Land.

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Aviation and air doesn't match the Land; symbiosis themes take priority.

Votes: 31 18.7%
  • The last peaceful pavilion will be lost.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • There is nothing wrong.

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

General Grizz

Original Poster
KevinPage said:
CAN WE STOP CALING IT A THRILL RIDE!!!!!! It's an E ticket and it's a great ride, but that doesn't mean it is a thrill ride.

Is Haunted Mansion or PoTC a thrill ride? NO
:D

While it's not a "thrill ride," it does have a height requirement. . . and to bring in guests, I'm sure Disney may try hyping it up to a great "thrill ride."

However, from what I hear it is quite thrilling.

ToTBellHop

You have clearly not ridden Soarin' if you do not consider it a thrill ride. You are suspended 50 feet in the air with only a seatbelt as your vehicle swoops from side to side and up and down. While it may not be the most intense thrill ride at Disney, I assure you it is very thrilling and, therefore, a thrill ride, with a purpose of thrilling guests, which it certainly does. Case in point, Disneyland.com puts it in the "thrills" category Soarin' For me, it is more thrilling than Test Track...certainly more fun.

dxwwf3

ISTCNavigator57 said:
You have clearly not ridden Soarin' if you do not consider it a thrill ride. You are suspended 50 feet in the air with only a seatbelt as your vehicle swoops from side to side and up and down. While it may not be the most intense thrill ride at Disney, I assure you it is very thrilling and, therefore, a thrill ride, with a purpose of thrilling guests, which it certainly does. Case in point, Disneyland.com puts it in the "thrills" category Soarin' For me, it is more thrilling than Test Track...certainly more fun.

Well the way are describing Soarin is getting me more excited about it. From what I had heard before, it seemed that it was a toned down Star Tours with very little thrill value. And after reading your description, it seems it is a thrill ride. Either way I'm looking forward to it, thrill or no thrill.

Bill

Account Suspended
I'd never visit a park to ride Mission: SPACE. I like Epcot because of the atmosphere. It's not like a theme park. It's something truly Disneyistic. Is that a word? Epcot is a park that's not a park. It's something very different. And we LOVE Epcot for that, not for Test Track or Mission: SPACE.

dxwwf3

Bill said:
I'd never visit a park to ride Mission: SPACE. I like Epcot because of the atmosphere. It's not like a theme park. It's something truly Disneyistic. Is that a word? Epcot is a park that's not a park. It's something very different. And we LOVE Epcot for that, not for Test Track or Mission: SPACE.

I agree 100% with you. I do love TT and M:S, but they are not all that Epcot is about. And yes it is very unique and I hope it never loses any of that.

But I also agree with ISTCNavigator57 in that the average theme park visitor will not take the time to enjoy things the way we do. And they want thrill rides more than anything else, so Disney does have a responsibility to them. But at the same time, they have a bigger responsibility to the fanatics and repeat visitors that do enjoy the charming parts of the parks as well. Not everything has to be flashy and loud.

ToTBellHop

and you are in the minority. Most people go for the big rides. Soarin' is unlike any other simulator--it doesn't really feel like a simulator, it feels like a hang glider, and the scents in the theatre as well as the wind blowing in your hair add to that. Truthfully, Disney has the greatest responsibility to new visitors, and big name rides keep them returning. We all are already hooked on Disney parks and they know it. We aren't going to stop going to the parks.

SirNim

I'd go to Epcot even if there were no bona fide attractions to experience. It's the atmosphere, the peacefulness, the serenity...

ToTBellHop

SirNim said:
I'd go to Epcot even if there were no bona fide attractions to experience. It's the atmosphere, the peacefulness, the serenity...
And Disney would make about $1000/day, max, at Epcot. (I like the new Quick Reply option!)

General Grizz

Original Poster
Very speedy! And Navigator - while this view isn't the most popular, it is certainly a major factor for a *lot* of guests. Rest and relaxation is a necessary component to a theme park, breaks between big thrills. And a nice area like the Land has always been practically perfect.

But it is undeniable that the attraction can be altered to fit the theme and that peace CAN exist with a thrill.

SirNim

And Disney would make about $1000/day, max, at Epcot. (I like the new Quick Reply option!)
Are you figuring in the money saved by not having to build, operate, or staff Test Track, Mission: SPACE, Soarin', and the other attractions? :lol:

You're right, Grizz, that Soarin' can be undeniably altered to keep the spirit of The Land...

ToTBellHop

SirNim said:
Are you figuring in the money saved by not having to build, operate, or staff Test Track, Mission: SPACE, Soarin', and the other attractions? :lol:

You're right, Grizz, that Soarin' can be undeniably altered to keep the spirit of The Land...
and you and I both know who's pocket that money would go into ;) He needs big Christmas bonus to pay for his vacations to Disney World!

General Grizz

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
But, it won't. Disney offers charming restrooms for relaxation...and all of World Showcase ;)

If this is the Disney vision of today, Walt help us all.

Roy and Stan. . . we need you working. Bigtime.

ToTBellHop

It really is futile to try and get any changes to occur with this project. These decisions were made months ago. It's better to just prepare yourself now.

General Grizz

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
It really is futile to try and get any changes to occur with this project. These decisions were made months ago. It's better to just prepare yourself now.

The General never backs down.

Never.

:wave:

cloudboy

So this is going to increase attendance like, what, Body Wars? Test Rack?

There are still people who keep coming back to the parks for rides like Pirates and Splash.

And they want thrill rides more than anything else,
This brings up one of the biggest problems that is facing Disney, and exactly why I am saying it is turning into a theme park. The more you focus on that one group - the thrill seeker,s the more that you are only going to GET thrill seekers! This is short sighted, and is killign the park. Quite frankly, look at the slump they have been in. Their entire market is turning into thrill seekers who are only looking for the latest thrill, and so are not sticking around. Disney has really, REALLY got to start focusing on making itself different and atttract a much wider audience than just that.

There are tons of people out there who really could care less about roller coasters and thrills and media. They want something that interests them, something that they can think about and something that inspires creativity in them. And EPCOT is (unfortunately going to was) the last place left that they can do that. World Showcase is becoming both stale and nothing but a bunch of terrribly bad imitations of Pier 1, while Future World is becoming more a teenage hangout. They have put in nothing lately that has any long term staying power.

They can't even get their themes right - why do they have pilot and airport anouncements for a hang glider? That is like starting out on a shipping dock for a canoe. And whether or not you are suspended in the air, it is still just a movie with moving seats. Pretty soon that is just going to come out.

Fine, they need something over there. I can live with that. But if they are going to do that, then don't ruin that which is better - it's just another case of telling those of us who don't fit that adolescent thrill junkie mold to go elsewhere!

cloudboy

Funny how every claims that this is what people want, yet they are totally uninterested in listening to what people are actually saying. The more you just say whatever and deal with it, the more things are unlikely to be done right next time. Eventually they are going to have listen at some point.

General Grizz

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
I don't hear you complain about Horizons much, anymore lol

I have never complained about Horizons. It is a model attraction. However, check my post history for the flaws of Mission Space (another reason why I don't trust Disney with their Land project).

cloudboy said:
This brings up one of the biggest problems that is facing Disney, and exactly why I am saying it is turning into a theme park. The more you focus on that one group - the thrill seeker,s the more that you are only going to GET thrill seekers! This is short sighted, and is killign the park. Quite frankly, look at the slump they have been in. Their entire market is turning into thrill seekers who are only looking for the latest thrill, and so are not sticking around. Disney has really, REALLY got to start focusing on making itself different and atttract a much wider audience than just that.

Grand applause!

We need to realize that Epcot was rated the nation's HIGHEST-ranking theme park in value - way over Disneyland - way over Universal - way over DCA and Cedar Point - and this was *not* because of thrills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom