The General's Call to Arms: Epcot's future -- SAVE THE EARTH!

Although Soarin' will be exiting, what are the worst ways it can influence the Land?

• Kabaret Theatre replaced by queue or gift shop.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Sunshine Season Food Fair removed.

Votes: 53 31.9%
  • Atmosphere removed with hustle and bustle.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • Soarin' over California doesn't match the Land.

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Aviation and air doesn't match the Land; symbiosis themes take priority.

Votes: 31 18.7%
  • The last peaceful pavilion will be lost.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • There is nothing wrong.

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

speck76

The problem is many of the "we wish it was 1982 again" traditionalists (many whom were not even born in 1982) get hung up on the "transportation" aspect of Soarin'.....yet they fail to acknowledge that Living with the Land is a boat ride, and that does not make it an attraction that should be in The Living Seas.

TheOneVader

Man, I'm really gonna miss The Land. I remember last time, before we went on the ride we just sat on a bench and soaked up the atmosphere in there. The pavillion is perfect, so why change it?

But, sadly, everything must come to an end. Who knows? Maybe in a couple months we'll be discussing how much we like the new pavillion... Anything's possible.

General Grizz

Original Poster
speck76 said:
The problem is many of the "we wish it was 1982 again" traditionalists (many whom were not even born in 1982) get hung up on the "transportation" aspect of Soarin'.....yet they fail to acknowledge that Living with the Land is a boat ride, and that does not make it an attraction that should be in The Living Seas.
This "traditionalist" thinks differently. If you are discussing my view, you read in the (lengthy ;) ) first post that the problem isn't the SOARIN' style ride itself. Concerns lie in the fact that Soarin' over CALIFORNIA's potential retheming of aviation have little to do with the Land. Sure, we're looking at a piece of earth, but it is so specific and irrelevant to the story the pavilion is founded on to reproduce. Thus a SOARIN' AIR attraction (just like The Living with the Land is a BOAT attraction) based on The Land would be far more preferable in the eyes of this bear.

What I am saying and what you may be assuming I am saying are completely different. . . unless there are other members who are against a Soarin-style ride (and I most certainly am not).

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
But the full theming...

speck76 The problem is many of the "we wish it was 1982 again" traditionalists (many whom were not even born in 1982) get hung up on the "transportation" aspect of Soarin'.....yet they fail to acknowledge that Living with the Land is a boat ride, and that does not make it an attraction that should be in The Living Seas.
Actually, I wish it was 1977-8 again...but thats a whole different thread... :lookaroun
...back on topic...

JazzDKD
As you travel over the beautiful landscapes of California you are Soarin' over the Land. You fly over pine forests & orange groves and you smell the fragrance's of the land. You see the wonders of mountains and coast lines. And yes, you do fly over city scapes and even end at DisneyLand during a fireworks show.

Soarin' does fit into the Land as it is an exhibit of the wonders and beauty of nature. Please, give this ride a chance and you will love it.

You are right Jazz, and I think all will find that Grizz' concern is not for the ride or even this film, but for the context and preshow that is focused on the history of aviation (in CA specifically). I think what we are hoping for is a tie in to the land in that area rather than "flight school".

But Speck76...boat ride does apply...I believe the Mississippi and most other rivers, lakes and aquifers are linked as much to agriculture as to nautical pursuits. Besides, there are no two better vehicles to visit the land than by waterway or by air. It's not even a stretch.

Number_6

I just think its a shame if Sunshine Season food fair gets taken out. I have to admit, it had been years(over a decade actually) since I had been in The Land until I went back in June. I had totally forgotten how great a place it was. My parents were never really big on it and since just about all my trips had been with them, if they didn't want to go someplace, then we didn't go. I love the fountain and will be sad to see it gone from there. When I took the kids in August we went and I had them go on Living With the Land which they got a real kick out of. It will be a shame if it gets changed too much. And I agree, if they totally re-theme the area with a history of aviation, then it is no longer really "The Land."

KevinPage

General Grizz said:
Concerns lie in the fact that Soarin' over CALIFORNIA's potential retheming of aviation have little to do with the Land. Sure, we're looking at a piece of earth, but it is so specific and irrelevant to the story the pavilion is founded on to reproduce. Thus a SOARIN' AIR attraction (just like The Living with the Land is a BOAT attraction) based on The Land would be far more preferable in the eyes of this bear.

Hasn't it been well established that a new film is coming in a few years? Would it be soooo bad to have the current film (that may not fit "perefectly") but at least get the attraction sooner and then get the "perfect" film "later"?

Do we know that the theming and the pre/post shows are EXACTLY the same? If they were, then why don't all the signs say "Soarin Over California", as David Warburton states that many times. Obviously, right off the bat they have to alter the speils.

I'd rather have the attraction NOW and let a new film & funds materialize later as opposed to not constructing the show building & waiting for all the pieces to fall into place. Waiting has the risk of something happening and potentially changing or canceling plans for the attraction altogether.

I'm not saying to RUSH and build anything you can for the sake of it. But the film of Soarin' not "fitting in" with the premise behind The Land is MINIMAL on a good day.

The questions still begs to be answered: WHAT PREMISE IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE LAND?

NOTHING THAT IS BEING REMOVED KILLS THE MINIMAL MESSAGE THAT THE PAVILLON ATTEMPTS TO CONVEY CURRENTLY.

Circle of Life may or may not stay, that is the most heavy handed message in all of WDW. I'm not particularly enthralled with the film myself and think they can do better than that. People need to be entertained while preached to.

A Food Court, water fountain and balloons do not make me think about my connection with Mother Earth. Those are the main things being changed about the pavillon.

Living With the Land is STAYING. If anything, that ride is the essence of the pavillon (as lacklsuter as it may be).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom