The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

culturenthrills

I could likely find a creative way to add it into any park with some sort of heavy handed back story, but World Showcase should be the last place it should go.
Of course, getting Epcot back to being thematically appropriate is my white whale. It'll never happen, but I'll continue to chase that sucker until I die.

I wouldn't want it there either. I was just saying that that would be the more creative idea.

Stevek

Hey, if you want to talk DCA, there is a forum for that. "Walt Disney World News and Rumors" is not that place.

So you'll have to forgive me for assuming you meant here in Florida.
I think the reason people were discussing DCA, including me as one of those that mentioned their former Millionaire building, is that @WDW1974 specifically talked about Frozen coming to HKDL and DCA. So even though this is a WDW forum we were just reacting to his comment. Maybe the OP from him should be moved to another forum if this isn't the right place.

roj2323

How about ripping out the raceway and replacing it with a Frozen themed matterhorn and put a sci fi restaurant in the bottom (something resembling a space station or futuristic underground bunker) on the tommarowland side.

Unfortunately however it sounds like something is going to be happening at DHS specifically in the Animation courtyard area. Apparently a few people overheard a "and that's staying" conversation on monday morning between a few high level (executive?) cast members. Apparently Tom Staggs was present. I Unfortunately I don't know more than that. With all of the closings happening all around the same time I have to imagine something is up however.

Edit: a word

Last edited:

stevehousse

How about ripping out the raceway and replacing it with a Frozen themed matterhorn and put a sci fi restaurant in the bottom (something resembling a space station or futuristic underground bunker) on the tommarowland side.

Unfortunately however is sounds like something is going to be happening at DHS specifically in the Animation courtyard area. Apparently a few people overheard a "and that's staying" conversation on monday morning between a few high level (executive?) cast members. Apparently Tom Staggs was present. I Unfortunately I don't know more than that. With all of the closings happening all around the same time I have to imagine something is up however.
I hope they leave the animation building alone :( Idc what else they do to the area (although I will say it would be a bummer to loose Disney jr live as that and TSMM r they only 2 attractions geared toward young children) tear out the little mermaid and build a ride in its place hopefully :)

So I have become so lost in this whole conversation...r we looking at at complete DCA 2.0 remodel here for DHS finally???

wdwfan4ver

I think the reason people were discussing DCA, including me as one of those that mentioned their former Millionaire building, is that @WDW1974 specifically talked about Frozen coming to HKDL and DCA. So even though this is a WDW forum we were just reacting to his comment. Maybe the OP from him should be moved to another forum if this isn't the right place.
The problem is WDW1974's information can't just be on one theme park message board on this site although this topic really doesn't have any info on WDW. I am saying that because this site a separate board for Disneyland, but also has a another separate board that has Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

roj2323

I hope they leave the animation building alone :( Idc what else they do to the area (although I will say it would be a bummer to loose Disney jr live as that and TSMM r they only 2 attractions geared toward young children) tear out the little mermaid and build a ride in its place hopefully :)

So I have become so lost in this whole conversation...r we looking at at complete DCA 2.0 remodel here for DHS finally???

I have to imagine of they are going to do something it wold be the little mermaid or One Man's Dream (OMD) space that would be used. OMD could be relocated to the Animation building if they went into the lowrise animation building behind it and the current OMD area is setup pretty well for an extended cue into its theater. Either way we are talking about some sort of a show rather than a ride I would think. Honestly, however I think the little mermaid show would go before One Man's was relocated.

Yes, it's sounding more and more like DHS is going to get some major money thrown at it Finally.

Stevek

The problem is WDW1974's information can't just be on one theme park message board on this site although this topic really doesn't have any info on WDW. I am saying that because this site a separate board for Disneyland, but also has a another separate board that has Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just addressing David's comments about this being in the wrong place. A billion non WDW things get talked about here all the time. He just seemed to be upset that peeps were talking about DCA.

Stevek

So Jim Hill is reporting that DCA may be getting the Frozen Sing a Long. Would be in a stage 17 aka the old millionaire theater.

Captain Neo

I'm all for Frozen attractions but don't overlay existing attractions and rather build a brand new ride from scratch.

If they actually are going to replace Maelstorm can they at least take influence from the Marc Davis Frozen ride concept art and keep the polar bears:

0363.Marc_2D00_4.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

There is another piece that shows Snow Queen (Elsa) actually riding a sleigh pulled by bears

Captain Neo

I honestly don't know if it is. Once the next big animated movie comes out, from whichever studio, will Frozen be forgotten, or at least put on the back burner? I can't decide either way, but I'm not convinced it is here to stay. We'll see. Glad I'm not making the decisions about how far to go with it.

The last time Disney had an animated film that garnered this much revenue and attention was The Lion King back in 1994 and look at what a centerpiece that became for the company for 20+ years. I would argue Lion King is certainly the better movie but just like with Avatar for a movie to reach such financial milestones it simply cannot be ignored and naturally must have a big fan base.

It's kind of funny that Rapunzel/tangled has been abandoned in all of this. I thought that movie did pretty well but it seems like its been long forgotten already by both the company and the general public.

Scuttle

Magic Kingdom is obviously the best possible location for Frozen but how would you feel about TpfkatDMGMS? It could certainly use the help from this kind of addition.
To me the obvious best location is expanding AK with a small Antartica land. Frozen E-Ticket, meet and greet, penguin exhibit, polar bear exhibit and a frozen themed restaurant. I'd settle for SC getting the axe for Frozen though.

BrerJon

To me the obvious best location is expanding AK with a small Antartica land. Frozen E-Ticket, meet and greet, penguin exhibit, polar bear exhibit and a frozen themed restaurant. I'd settle for SC getting the axe for Frozen though.

Nice idea, but Sea World's Antarctica land, their version of a 'Potter swatter', has tanked with guests, so I can't see anything like that coming soon. Plus with their polar bear dying, and recent concerns over animal welfare, Disney is going to stay well away from anything new involving live animals.

TP2000

More details:

Both DCA and HKDL (and looks like DLP can be added now thanks to a kind source) will be getting temporary attractions that will very likely be there for years. And I use the word 'attraction' very liberally here. Think meet-and-greet-and-gropes and singalongs and things of that nature. They will not be replacing anything right now, just utilizing existing and or new real estate.

Frozen will NOT be replacing Aladdin in the short term, especially with Robin Williams' passing, but could very well wind up in the Hyperion down the road AND at whatever you want to call the Studios park at WDW (Tangled was supposed to replace Beauty and the Beast, but it took so long to move thru approval that it won't happen now.)

At 3:00 AM California time, Micechat just dropped a doozy of a new MiceAge Update on us. It's got a lot of amazing news for Disneyland (Star Wars and Marvel rides), with exciting extras like evil Communists and semi-evil Paul Pressler and the Muppets all thrown in for good measure. Cynthia Harriss even gets a snarky shout-out! Is Al Lutz back writing again?

But at the end of this new update, it reveals what the Frozen Initiative means for DCA, and it's apparently coming to the park this Christmas. From the new Miceage Update...

"Taking a cue from the successful Frozen Summer Fun promotion they pulled together very quickly out at Walt Disney World, a new Frozen offering will be shoehorned into DCA for this Christmas season. Setting up in, you guessed it, the backlot area of DCA’s Hollywoodland, the characters from Frozen will be moving in for the holidays. An indoor ice rink and character meet n’ greet will be installed in Stage 17, while next door the Muppets will go on hiatus (again) and the MuppetVision theater will be repurposed for a small stage show and Frozen sing-along. Frozen décor and set pieces will be plopped down around these two venues and take over some of the existing Mad T Party facilities, and the existing Studio Store nearby will be turned into a Frozen merchandise headquarters. This will create a Frozen miniland of sorts in DCA, and should help take the pressure off the Frozen frenzy currently found in Fantasyland."

Mike S

At 3:00 AM California time, Micechat just dropped a doozy of a new MiceAge Update on us. It's got a lot of amazing news for Disneyland (Star Wars and Marvel rides), with exciting extras like evil Communists and semi-evil Paul Pressler and the Muppets all thrown in for good measure. Cynthia Harriss even gets a snarky shout-out! Is Al Lutz back writing again?

But at the end of this new update, it reveals what the Frozen Initiative means for DCA, and it's apparently coming to the park this Christmas. From the new Miceage Update...

"Taking a cue from the successful Frozen Summer Fun promotion they pulled together very quickly out at Walt Disney World, a new Frozen offering will be shoehorned into DCA for this Christmas season. Setting up in, you guessed it, the backlot area of DCA’s Hollywoodland, the characters from Frozen will be moving in for the holidays. An indoor ice rink and character meet n’ greet will be installed in Stage 17, while next door the Muppets will go on hiatus (again) and the MuppetVision theater will be repurposed for a small stage show and Frozen sing-along. Frozen décor and set pieces will be plopped down around these two venues and take over some of the existing Mad T Party facilities, and the existing Studio Store nearby will be turned into a Frozen merchandise headquarters. This will create a Frozen miniland of sorts in DCA, and should help take the pressure off the Frozen frenzy currently found in Fantasyland."

Anyone who is familiar with that rather sad and plain looking corner of DCA knows this will be an improvement, at least aesthetically. Scandinavians are some of the most attractive people on the planet, after all. The MiceAge Update in its entirety, which would probably only interest Disneyland fans, can be found at http://micechat.com/77851-marvel-at-disneyland-resort/
Very interesting. I wonder what @WDW1974 has to say about it. The rumors for Marvel and Star Wars are obviously the most interesting.

DisneyRoy

I honestly don't know if it is. Once the next big animated movie comes out, from whichever studio, will Frozen be forgotten, or at least put on the back burner? I can't decide either way, but I'm not convinced it is here to stay. We'll see. Glad I'm not making the decisions about how far to go with it.

I most definitely think it is here to stay. I would be mightily surprised if I didn't see Frozen in the local theatres this Winter/Holiday season for a "re-release." And then of course the sequels...they will come. As much of a butt-load of money it made, Disney wold be remiss to NOT make any sequels and bad as they would probably be. But those would keep it in the limelight as well. This is not going away....not any time soon.

71jason

Will have to wait to see what the actual products are to judge.. but to question or challenge the idea that Frozen SHOULD be out there... boggles the mind.

Flynn, haven't you figured out yet Frozen is the new Cars--the insanely successful film online fanbois love to hate? I explained my theory why in a Spirited thread a couple weeks ago, but the irrational hate has just grown stronger since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom