The Force Awakens - spoiler thread

lazyboy97o

- why is it the rock sequence where rey/ren battle on Maz's planet... identical to the starkiller planet environment+snow (the scenes where Rey climbs up the rocks, etc)
I've noticed that too. It really looks like they are on the exact same set, except one time they poured snow on it.

- The lightsaber Maz has is blue... and claims it was vader's... but we know that was red (and luke's blue was lost in ESB, and his new one was green).
It is the lightsaber Luke lost on Bespin. That is the only saber that was held by both Anakin and Luke; it is also the same design. Darth Vader's lightsaber fell into the second Death Star's core and Luke tossed his somewhere (never shown to retrieve it) shortly afterwards.

- Did Rey cut off Ken's hand in the final battle? The first time through, I thought that final blow she cuts off his saber hand.. but this time I wasn't sure.
I thought that at first two, but on repeated viewings it is clear that his hand is still attached. I think she might have been able to cut his lightsaber.

- Who does the voice of the stormtrooper Rey does the Jedi Mind trick on... I swear I'm supposed to recognize him
Daniel Craig.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, she already knew about the piece of junk Millenium Falcon just sitting around on Jakku. It sure seems like a huge coincidence that on this huge planet, she happens to live near it, knows how to fly it, and Han Solo just happens to be in the vicinity. And that the Falcon gets sold to a dealer on the very planet where she lives. It's almost like it was left there on purpose waiting for her to fly it into space.

1) she 'works' for the ship's owner.. that's why she would be familiar with it
2) han in the vicinity? He's a smuggler.. of course he's going to be hanging out in the more outer reaches of the galaxy where its more lawless
3) han in the vicinity - it's not like he was just hanging out, he was in the middle of a deal that clearly was time sensitive given his cargo and the pursuit of him. This is a 'crossing of paths'
4) han didn't know the falcon was on Jakku, or who had it (they had been searching for it)

The bigger 'hole' in all this is how the Falcoln is just sitting there, she's pretty familiar with it and its operation, yet she claims it hasn't been flown in years. Those last two don't quite add-up. Maybe they are keeping it on the down-low because its 'hot', but then why would she be allowed to be so familiar with it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is the lightsaber Luke lost on Bespin. That is the only saber that was held by both Anakin and Luke; it is also the same design

So when Maz re-tells her story on how she got it... maybe that's when Mr Colt45 gets brought back into the story? :)

Is there continuity between Revenge of the Sith and how Obi Wan has the blue lightsaber that he gives luke in EPIV? Obi Wan defeats anakin... but I don't recall them showing him taking the lightsaber, etc.

lazyboy97o

The bigger 'hole' in all this is how the Falcoln is just sitting there, she's pretty familiar with it and its operation, yet she claims it hasn't been flown in years. Those last two don't quite add-up. Maybe they are keeping it on the down-low because its 'hot', but then why would she be allowed to be so familiar with it.
The Millennium Falcon is not the only YT-1300, but the overall piloting skill seems odd given that Jakku is set up as being even more desolate than Tatooine with little contact (for the populace) with the rest of the galaxy. Overall the film seems to have too much of a streak where pilots can fly anything, so Rey being fine running to any ship and Poe being able to fly a TIE Fighter while instructing Finn on the use of its guns (but that TIE Fighter also luckily had a life support system added at some point).

lazyboy97o

So when Maz re-tells her story on how she got it... maybe that's when Mr Colt45 gets brought back into the story? :)

Is there continuity between Revenge of the Sith and how Obi Wan has the blue lightsaber that he gives luke in EPIV? Obi Wan defeats anakin... but I don't recall them showing him taking the lightsaber, etc.
That story would be interesting. And remember, Han is shocking to see the lightsaber, likely having been informed at some point that it fell to the surface of a gas giant.

Yes, Obi-Wan grabs the lightsaber from next to the left for dead Anakin. I actually relatively recently just saw a collection of GIFs of Obi-Wan's lies/inconsistencies with the big ones being "Your father wanted you to have this" cutting to him grabbing the saber and "I don't recall ever owning a droid" cutting to him with R2-D2 but I cannot seem to relocate it at the moment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Millennium Falcon is not the only YT-1300, but he overall piloting seems odd given that Jakku is set up as being even more desolate than Tatooine with little contact (for the populace) with the rest of the galaxy. Overall the film seems to have too much of a streak where pilots can fly anything, so Rey being fine running to any ship and Poe being able to fly a TIE Fighter while instructing Finn on the use of its guns (but that TIE Fighter also luckily had a life support system added at some point).

Apparently the whole 'these ships can't go very far' was abandoned all together :) The idea a tie fighter needed to be near a base, etc... you're supposed to forget those lines :)

And how does Poe point out things to Finn... that they are coming up on like he's supposed to see it.. when Finn is facing backwards only looking at a target reticle.

On Rey, I can buy into that she's this mechanical guru (which ties her into the skywalker lineage theory..) because she's a survivor... and the force strong stuff helps her piloting. Both Anakin and Luke are top fighter pilots and can pickup almost anything. Which seems like even more skywalker DNA.

Poe.. well he could be familar with the craft, just never got to fly it. He's able to tell Finn about the weapons system from memory.. And he's supposed to be the best pilot around.. so he'd know his opposition.

Given the two character's background and traits... I didn't mind the 'they can fly anything'

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh and people were talking about Ships before... there are lots of ship designs in this movie.. the problem is most of the new ones are just plain boring.

The resistance transport is a boring hulk. Same as the First Order troop transports - which seem to be a take on the higgins boats of WWII. They both are just boring.

The capital ships seem to have some twists compared to past star destroyers.. but lack any new 'ooooooo' moments. Past films always gave us new capital ships or new long haul ships... this film lacks in that category. (kylo's shuttle is the only bone we get here... and I do like how they made that look imposing and when it shows up... you know its about to go down!)

The tie fighters are almost direct copies.. the x-wings obviously have an evolution but being a POST OT film, I don't think it has as much of an emotion tug as the prequels did where they got to show the evolution leading up to the ships we all knew.

So I think it's wrong to say there aren't any new ships... and more correct to say there just aren't any new ships we give a @$ about.

lazyboy97o

Apparently the whole 'these ships can't go very far' was abandoned all together :) The idea a tie fighter needed to be near a base, etc... you're supposed to forget those lines :)
Yeah, a simple line about not having a hyperdrive probably would have more quickly shut up Finn and maybe kept him aware of the incoming projectile.

And how does Poe point out things to Finn... that they are coming up on like he's supposed to see it.. when Finn is facing backwards only looking at a target reticle.
I throw that configuration into the same category as the guns on the Millennium Falcon that seem to sit across from each other and not above each other in Star Wars and the snow speeders also having the rear facing gunner.

Poe.. well he could be familar with the craft, just never got to fly it. He's able to tell Finn about the weapons system from memory.. And he's supposed to be the best pilot around.. so he'd know his opposition.
He very well could be, I'd have less of an issue with it if he never exclaimed always having wanted to fly one. Wanting to get your hands on your enemy's weapons makes perfect sense. In all likelihood it is probably more a holdover from Expanded Universe video game type stuff where the Rebels always seemed to have a few TIEs laying around for certain missions.

The tie fighters are almost direct copies.. the x-wings obviously have an evolution but being a POST OT film, I don't think it has as much of an emotion tug as the prequels did where they got to show the evolution leading up to the ships we all knew.
I didn't really like the blatant pre-versions of the prequels, but the T-70, while growing on me, still also looks off to me. Part of it probably has to do with it actually being based on early concepts which doesn't make it look so much like a natural evolution.

JohnD

Saw it again tonight.. this time in true IMAX 3D with the latest IMAX tech at Udvar-Hazy

First... this is the line 50mins before showtime.. on a Sunday night before everyone goes back to work/school tomorrow..
IMG_2674-X2.jpg

Any question why this movie has made over a billion dollars? :) I estimate there were already 500-600 people in line when we got there. Remember, this theater is showing the film 5 times a day.. and its still this busy almost 4 weeks after opening. Even getting there almost an hour early, we got stuck in the lower section.. and my neck is still killing me.

But woah.. the new IMAX laser lite digital projection is stunning. Like, crrazzzzy sharp and bright. So bright, reflection off your face to the inside of the glasses can be a problem at times. The glasses have side hoods.. which on an IMAX screen actually acts as blinders. You can't see the whole screen in your field of view which kind of stinks. You actually have to pan left and right to see the whole screen from most seats the in the theater. The 3D glasses exaggerate that problem which is a slight negative.

But onto seeing the film again...

The film almost feels like it was two different films cut together. The first half up through the escape from Jakku actually feels so much different from that point on. That first act is great IMO.

I've been listening to the soundtrack in spare time.. and I'm convinced Rey's Theme is the only standout. And it really works for her early in the film (it makes a comeback when Rey returns to the rebel base.. but more subdued). Where the music really was a letdown was two points...

When they are all scrambling to the fighters to take on the starkiller base.. that hero moment needs a moving inspiring piece.. and it totally falls flat. Contrast this with the music for the battle of yavin in EPIV

The constant reuse of the Jedi medley whenever ANYONE dealt with any discovery of the force

Surprisingly... the sound for the film at IMAX was not that impressive. Not in your face, not immersive, nadda... and this place has a 12 channel setup now.

Things that still stood out as wonky...
- Escaping from Jakku only requires defeating two tie fighters (never mind that whole star destroyer in orbit)
- Really.. that's the best pursuit you can put up when someone steals a tie fighter from your hanger?
- Someone earlier said there were no space battles... yes there were. Poe's escape, and the starbase battle actually goes back to orbit right before they make their dive to the trench run
- I have no idea why Finn feels it's necessary to cheer 'thats one hell of a pilot' during the attack on Maz's cantina - that was so forced to try to tie it together and ID poe
- as mentioned before... time compression is really bad due to the pacing. The entire climatic sequence is supposed to take less than 15 minutes.. and people seem to cover great distances in what should be 30seconds in the countdown. (that and the whole countdown and blowup the planet as it concludes is kinda cliche at this point..)
- rey's/ren's final battle felt better to watch the second time
- why is it the rock sequence where rey/ren battle on Maz's planet... identical to the starkiller planet environment+snow (the scenes where Rey climbs up the rocks, etc)
- Did Carrie Fisher botox the hell out of her upper lip or something? It never moves.. and her speech reflects it.
- The lightsaber Maz has is blue... and claims it was vader's... but we know that was red (and luke's blue was lost in ESB, and his new one was green).

So some questions that stood out...

- So who do we think the guy is who has the map to skywalker in the opening sequence? He knew Kylo before he turned bad.. the opening crawl calls him an 'old ally'. Who do we think that is?
- Did Rey cut off Ken's hand in the final battle? The first time through, I thought that final blow she cuts off his saber hand.. but this time I wasn't sure.
- Who does the voice of the stormtrooper Rey does the Jedi Mind trick on... I swear I'm supposed to recognize him

The good...
- Rey - she kills it, has that perfect look of sexy, tough, but sneaky cute/sexy
- BB-8
- The humor integration is pretty good and a good balance for a star wars film
- Wide audience appeal.. my wife is not a SW nuts, but casually knows what's going on. She liked the film, and she had lots to talk about on the way home.. so it engaged her
- Visuals (even tho I'm not into this 'jaggy/rough' laser stuff)

A lot there but a quick comment about the light saber. That is Anakin's blue one that Obi-Wan picked up on Mustafar in Ep III that he passed on to Luke in Ep IV. Luke lost it in his battle with Vader when his hand was cut off in Cloud City on Bespin. It mysteriously shows up here.

Phroobar

Original Poster
A lot there but a quick comment about the light saber. That is Anakin's blue one that Obi-Wan picked up on Mustafar in Ep III that he passed on to Luke in Ep IV. Luke lost it in his battle with Vader when his hand was cut off in Cloud City on Bespin. It mysteriously shows up here.

The theory goes that Lobot picked up the lightsaber on Bespin after Luke lost it and has been trying to get it back to him for years. The Max Von Sydow character was originally suppose to be an old Lobot.

The other weird theory is Lobot got Luke's severed hand which was passed along to clone Luke.

JohnD

The theory goes that Lobot picked up the lightsaber on Bespin after Luke lost it and has been trying to get it back to him for years. The Max Von Sydow character was originally suppose to be an old Lobot.

The other weird theory is Lobot got Luke's severed hand which was passed along to clone Luke.

Yeah. I always thought that one of Lando's contacts would have to acquire it. Surely, Luke's hand and lightsaber aren't the only items to be collected in a waste collection system of garbage coming from Cloud City. It could be as simple as Lobot gets it, contacts Lando and Lando passes it on to Han. Luke had already disappeared. Han takes it to Maz Katana for safekeeping.

lazyboy97o

Yeah. I always thought that one of Lando's contacts would have to acquire it. Surely, Luke's hand and lightsaber aren't the only items to be collected in a waste collection system of garbage coming from Cloud City. It could be as simple as Lobot gets it, contacts Lando and Lando passes it on to Han. Luke had already disappeared. Han takes it to Maz Katana for safekeeping.
Han couldn't have brought the lightsaber to Maz as he is surprised that it is in her possession.

I always assumed that we see Luke's hand and lightsaber fall to Bespin when he ends up handing below the Cloud City.

fractal

On Rey, I can buy into that she's this mechanical guru (which ties her into the skywalker lineage theory..) because she's a survivor... and the force strong stuff helps her piloting. Both Anakin and Luke are top fighter pilots and can pickup almost anything. Which seems like even more skywalker DNA.

Given the two character's background and traits... I didn't mind the 'they can fly anything'

The 2 guys in a TIE fighter with their back to each other has bugged me. You have to make a lot of assumptions for the scene to make sense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's another question...

If the first order is against the republic...
And the first order is some upstart trying to overthrown the republic...
And the First Order thinks the republic 'secretly supports the resistance'

If Leia and them are fighting the First Order.. and not the republic... why are they called 'the resistance'? And why would the republic need to 'secretly' support them if the republic and FO are enemies?

Why is it not the republic vs the first order? Why is there any group called 'resistence'?

Phroobar

Original Poster
The book gives more detail. The remains of the Empire is the First Order. They only reside in a small area of the outer rim territories. Leia saw the growing First Order as a threat and convinced the Republic to fund a Resistance group to free those outer rim territories from First Order control and bring them back into the Republic. Over time, the Republic started to ignore Leia's Resistance group and their pleas for more support and they saw the First Order as a non issue. It completely caught the Republic off guard when the Starkiller base blew up the entire Republic fleet and Republic senate and government planets.

Now there is no more Republic government but just Leia's small Resistance group.

JohnD

The book gives more detail. The remains of the Empire is the First Order. They only reside in a small area of the outer rim territories. Leia saw the growing First Order as a threat and convinced the Republic to fund a Resistance group to free those outer rim territories from First Order control and bring them back into the Republic. Over time, the Republic started to ignore Leia's Resistance group and their pleas for more support and they saw the First Order as a non issue. It completely caught the Republic off guard when the Starkiller base blew up the entire Republic fleet and Republic senate and government planets.

Now there is no more Republic government but just Leia's small Resistance group.

Don't want to get too political but the First Order sounds like ISIS. The Republic sounds like the U.S. Let's hope the similarities end there.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Don't want to get too political but the First Order sounds like ISIS. The Republic sounds like the U.S. Let's hope the similarities end there.
Sort of. A better comparison is the First Order is based on Nazi politics. The speech that General Hux gives to the troops is similar to the ones given by Hitler.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom