The Force Awakens - spoiler thread

Cesar R M

Here's another question...

If the first order is against the republic...
And the first order is some upstart trying to overthrown the republic...
And the First Order thinks the republic 'secretly supports the resistance'

If Leia and them are fighting the First Order.. and not the republic... why are they called 'the resistance'? And why would the republic need to 'secretly' support them if the republic and FO are enemies?

Why is it not the republic vs the first order? Why is there any group called 'resistence'?
I think the first order is a part of the "new republic". but are a bunch of extremists.. (think tea baggers of the republican group).
Hence why the first order complains about the inaction of the new republic against the resistance.
the new republic wants a middle stand ground.. the first order wants still as similar operation as the empire (aka older republic where palpatine had higher power but not fully emperor full of yesmen).

thus technically the "secretely support the resistance".

*edit* nevermind.. I think the ones who replied here made more sense on their explanations.

Figments Friend

Finally have some time to join in and comment on the film....
At this point, I have seen it twice.

I successfully avoided all spoilers pre-viewing, and appreciate those on this Forum who kept things spoiler-free until release day.
It was nice to read the main thread ( now the 'other' thread ) and not worry about ruining any potential surprises.
So a big thank you, folks.
:)

Totally went in to the theater on X-mas day with a open mind...was excited at what the film might bring.
Saw a standard release that first time...no 3D, etc....with a nearly full house.
Very lively audience, which was a nice plus.

Watched it beginning to end....and quite enjoyed it.
The beginning was great...and Rey's introduction sequence.
It just became better and better as it went along.
So many great moments, many unexpected which made them more intense and memorable.
In all honesty it drew me into it via the new characters, and not as much as I was expecting from just seeing the original characters again and nostalgia perks.
Yes, I liked those elements...but it was the new primary characters that held my interest the most.
I actually cared about what happened to a couple of them....Rey and Kylo Ren being the two that really had my full attention.

Kylo is now my 2nd favorite 'Star Wars' character next to my long term #1 Han Solo.
Just a great character...and not just because he plays Han's son....ha ha!
The conflicted, tormented soul of this wanna-be villain is so well played by Adam Driver, who I was introduced to for the first time via this role.
It was the standout performance next to Rey, and that is saying a lot when considering one of my favorite actors of all time Harrison Ford is in this film!

Adam just nailed it and made this a unique personality in the 'Star Wars' universe.
He did a great job portraying this complex character, and made it one that is so much more interesting then your typical 'vengeful villain' type.
Loved every moment he was on the screen...masked or unmasked....but the unmasking scene I thought was a great surprise.
Was not expecting that, and enjoyed how it showed you how this visually intimidating characters' true self is in reality a insecure, vulnerable, and misdirected man.
Just a nice refreshing change and a cool twist to the standard 'bad guy' persona.
Loved the scenes with him and Rey matching their Force powers against each other.
A real intensity there that I never expected to experience in this film.
It was a nice surprise.
The performances they did with just their faces alone in these scenes made it all the more impactful....well, in my opinion at least.

Yes, I was crushed when Han was killed....but it didn't make me hate on Ben Solo at all.
No, I feel a lot of sympathy for Ben despite some of the questionable actions he has done both in his hinted at past and the violent actions we see him partake in with in the context of the current films story.
im kind of hoping he gives in to the Light Side and is redeemed.

I've read a lot of fan reviews since seeing it the first time now that I'm not concerned about 'spoilers' and there seems to be a lot of disappointment regarding Kylo Ren 'losing' the climatic light saber battle with Rey in the forest.
Some felt he was too 'wimpy' and there is just no way she could have beaten him with no formal training.
I disagree, and thought within the context of THIS films story, it fit perfectly.
Sets up their next face off between them rather well and again made for a nice change of pace.
Absolutely loved the scene where Luke's saber gets stuck in the snow during the match and both of them attempt to draw it to their hand using the Force.
It was awesome to see Ben obviously struggling a little and then see the saber go to Rey.
The music swells...the look on both their faces....just wow.
The audience freaked. I did as well..caught up in the moment.

I loved the mystery around Rey....and of course was glad to see her finally find Luke at the conclusion.
Those final scenes pumped me up so much....it instantly made we want to see the next chapter immediately afterwards and I'm not by any means a 'hardcore' Star Wars fan.
It was that good..and that entertaining for me.
A good sign...!
I knew I had to see it again...next time in IMAX.
So I did...two days ago.

Wow.
Enjoyed it much more the second time around, and that was not just because of he better format showing.
I noticed many things I had missed the first time, and I was able to better focus more on the characters and all the nuances in their performances since I knew what was coming.
Made for a very enjoyable few hours of entertainment.
Made me a official solidified Kylo convert.
Just wow.

Highly recommend a IMAX viewing if you are able to get to a location showing it in that format.
Some have said that seeing it in 3D did not really make a big difference to them, but for me it was a big plus.
It brought some extra depth to some scenes, mainly, the space settings and the expanse of nothingness on Jakku.
The chase sequence through the wrecked Star Destroyer hulls was also fun to see in 3D.
Felt at times I was on 'Star Tours' again!

Anyone reading this who has been sitting on the fence about seeing it in IMAX 3D needs to just go out and DO IT.
This is one of those rare films that really is enhanced greatly by that type of experience.
The sound quality alone was worthwhile....as you could hear the sand blowing in the background, literally right behind you when on Jakku and snow blowing in the wind around you on the wintery Starkiller Base.
It was a noticeable improvement to my previous standard showing.
Picture quality was tops, as usual, and the 3D effects were not overly extreme.
They nicely gave depth to some scenic elements and added to the vastness of other settings.
It was a nice plus.
I will likely see it one more time in IMAX...yes, it was that good of an experience.

If I were to have any complaint, it would be the numerous throwbacks to the Original Trilogy of 'Star Wars' films.
Like many here, I love those originals.....but seeing all the nostalgic nods became a teeny bit tedious after a while.
From a symbolic standpoint I can understand it since a major theme of this film seems to be about letting go of the past and moving forward ( almost all the characters experience this ) but I would have liked to have seen more unique and new things specific to just this film.
Hard to describe in words...but hopefully those reading get what I mean.

As a whole, however, I enjoyed the romp.
Love Kylo Ren. Love Rey.
Really looking forward to learning more about these two in the future.

-

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

So i finally saw the movie and was not impressed. I had managed to only hear one spoiler which after this long is pretty good. Did my best not to even see trailers. Even without prior knowledge the movie was very predictable. Was this a sequel or a reboot?

I heard that this is not a Lucas story is that correct?

I can't even remember the score other than the traditional opening title. People run down the phantom menace but that was much better overall. Even with Jar Jar binks.

Speaking of Binks can't we see his painful, horrible, flaming yet inspiring death? Maybe he was still serving in the Senate when it got torched. No, we get Han Solo die a cheap death.

I even went to the snack stand for refills during a Star Wars movie. Who does that? I never leave a movie! :eek:

Liked the reveal of the Falcon and the Xwing dog fighting.

For so much hype and waiting it just seems like a let down. :(

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, I was crushed when Han was killed....but it didn't make me hate on Ben Solo at all.
No, I feel a lot of sympathy for Ben despite some of the questionable actions he has done both in his hinted at past and the violent actions we see him partake in with in the context of the current films story.
im kind of hoping he gives in to the Light Side and is redeemed.
-

Kin-killers are irredeemable. Kylo killed his father. He can not be redeemed.

Figments Friend

Kin-killers are irredeemable. Kylo killed his father. He can not be redeemed.

Perhaps, but I am really enjoying the complex character...a lot.
Hoping to see a lot more of him in the next chapter.
To me, Kylo / Ben is the most interesting aspect in this new series.

Going to my 3rd showing (IMAX again) on Thursday.
The dynamic between the new characters (exspecially Rey and Kylo ) is what keeps me coming back.
That, and $11 'first showing of the day' price points for IMAX 3D!

-

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Going to my 3rd showing (IMAX again) on Thursday.
The dynamic between the new characters (exspecially Rey and Kylo ) is what keeps me coming back.
That, and $11 'first showing of the day' price points.

-
I loved the movie as well. And I loved how much I hate Kylo. He's the first villain in forever that I hate down to my bones. I'm just saying, trying to make him into a good guy would be a tremendous mistake. Keep him bad. Make him worse if possible, he's so bad it's awesome.

Figments Friend

I loved the movie as well. And I loved how much I hate Kylo. He's the first villain in forever that I hate down to my bones. I'm just saying, trying to make him into a good guy would be a tremendous mistake. Keep him bad. Make him worse if possible, he's so bad it's awesome.

Agree...he IS indeed 'awesome'!!

I'm sure Kylo / Ben is going to be fairly miffed about what happened to him in Ep. 7.
Ep. 8 I am expecting to see a scarred, even more overly explosive Kylo Ren on a personal mission to capture Rey and perhaps convert her over to the Dark Side.
Although killing his father weakened him greatly, his anger and disillusionment about his face off with Rey will certainly be addressed in the future installments.

The most sensational moments for me in 'The Force Awakens' was watching Rey and Kylo face off against each other.
The intensity of those two main scenes ( mind manipulation and saber duel ) were terrific.

It would be great to see more of that inner conflict in Kylo, and see more of him trying to lure Rey over to his side.
It would be equally interesting to see Rey, on her journey to discover more about this 'power' she now has, be tempted to change paths.
There is definitely a connection there between those two characters and fleshing out a little further backstory on both of them would be welcome in the next chapter.

-

Cesar R M

You probably missed the perfect bad guy acting by Jason Isaacs in the patriot.
Now thats someone who you want to hate with all your guts..
Kylo was weak.. very weak..

Tony Perkis

You probably missed the perfect bad guy acting by Jason Isaacs in the patriot.
Now thats someone who you want to hate with all your guts..
Kylo was weak.. very weak..
Wait, people identify The Patriot as a shining example of perfect bad guy acting.

Not, for example, Alan Rickman in Die Hard?

I'm dumbfounded. But glad to know you prefer your villains as one-dimensional and unchallenging, though.

Cesar R M

Wait, people identify The Patriot as a shining example of perfect bad guy acting.

Not, for example, Alan Rickman in Die Hard?

I'm dumbfounded. But glad to know you prefer your villains as one-dimensional and unchallenging, though.
I never said "perfect bad guy". I said the guy you want to hate at all costs.
I mean the acting of Jason Isaacs in The Patriot was the epitome of an arrogant "untouchable" dude that went always above everything for greed/Ego.

As for Alan Rickman, are you sure you're not affected by his recent demise to put him that high in the list?
He was good, but for me he wasn't the best.

As for Kylo. He was essentially a more whinny teenager version of Anakin. Kinda reminds me of the first appearances of Zuko from The Last Airbender.

*edit*
Gary Oldman in Leon the Professional
Edward Norton in American X
Kevin Spacey on Se7en
Denzel Washington in both Training Day and American Gangster.

Also, to clarify.. there is one difference in ACTING and other the WRITING aspect of a character.
I'm talking ACTING.

Ah, a handy reminder why I have you on ignore.

I dont know whats funnier.. the fact that you have me on ignore because you cant accept a different opinion (reminds me of some hardcore fangirls of kylo that are of the level of the "believers" that insta block or "report you" to the admins when they see the minimum criticism).. or that you have to remind me that you have me on ignore. Having self esteem problems perhaps?

Last edited:

prberk

-

Did anyone see "Saturday Night Live" this weekend?

I loved the parody of "Undercover Boss" that Adam Driver did as Kylo Ren going undercover as a "new employee" at the First Order, but couldn't help himself in letting his whiny Vader wannabee characteristics blow his cover. It was hilarious, I think, but even more so if you watch "Undercover Boss" as well as Star Wars.

I am glad that we still have SNL. They are not always funny, but they do topical better than anyone else, at least on a more consistent basis.

EDIT: After posting this, I decided it should really be a separate thread from this thread. So, here it is: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kylo-ren-adam-driver-undercover-boss-on-snl.909045/

Last edited:

imagineer boy

I saw it a while ago and thought I'd post my thoughts. I thought it was good but honestly I feel it is way over praised. The fact that the plot is almost exactly identical to A New Hope really made me bored. Saw what you will about the prequels, at least the nods to the original trilogy were made different enough so you didn't feel like you were watching the exact same thing. And I felt like the little in joke references to the originals were just calculated fangasms. And oh my god if I have to see one more movie that only just sets up another line of sequels I think I'll scream... Having that said, I thought the acting was great, I liked the new characters and thought Kylo Ren is a great new villain.

Cesar R M

I saw it a while ago and thought I'd post my thoughts. I thought it was good but honestly I feel it is way over praised. The fact that the plot is almost exactly identical to A New Hope really made me bored. Saw what you will about the prequels, at least the nods to the original trilogy were made different enough so you didn't feel like you were watching the exact same thing. And I felt like the little in joke references to the originals were just calculated fangasms. And oh my god if I have to see one more movie that only just sets up another line of sequels I think I'll scream... Having that said, I thought the acting was great, I liked the new characters and thought Kylo Ren is a great new villain.
I only hope Luke gets the blame for forcing Kylo turning to the dark side.. all because he forced him(kylo) to give him(luke) piggy rides for Jedi Training (a la joda lol ) :hilarious:

Arthur Wellesley

As for Kylo. He was essentially a more whinny teenager version of Anakin.
I must have seen a totally different version of the movie than you, because I completely missed the part where Kylo whines about:

-His disliking of the political structure of the galaxy
-Him missing his mommy
-How sand gets everywhere
-His mentor bossing / talking-down to him
-How he is SO in love but forbidden to show it
-His point of view being different than the person he is fighting
-How the Jedi council hurt his wittle feelings
-His girl "may" die someday, so he'd better turn evil to prevent it
-Him missing his mommy some more

Figments Friend

Did anyone see "Saturday Night Live" this weekend?

I loved the parody of "Undercover Boss" that Adam Driver did as Kylo Ren going undercover as a "new employee" at the First Order, but couldn't help himself in letting his whiny Vader wannabee characteristics blow his cover. It was hilarious, I think, but even more so if you watch "Undercover Boss" as well as Star Wars.

I am glad that we still have SNL. They are not always funny, but they do topical better than anyone else, at least on a more consistent basis.

EDIT: After posting this, I decided it should really be a separate thread from this thread. So, here it is: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kylo-ren-adam-driver-undercover-boss-on-snl.909045/

Yes, and I found it well done and very funny.
It has been ages since I've come across something from SNL recently that actually makes me laugh out loud...but this skit with Adam was hilarious!

I've watched this clip over a dozen times now......still funny and full of little visual gems and fun acting.

Love it!

-

Figments Friend

I'm sure readers here have checked out the Disney Store recently for 'Force Awakens' merchandise, but if not....you might want to if you like collecting figures of the characters.

I picked up a really neat 16 inch poseable 'Kylo Ren' talking action figure that i think any fan of the character would really enjoy owning.
Fully poseable, his lightsaber lights up and makes authentic movie correct sounds.
He also says a dozen or so phrases from the film .... including some lines I am sure the ladies who like Kylo will appreciate...
;)

It's a really cool, detailed sculpt of the character.
Lots of detailing, exspecially his lightsaber.
Even though it would have been better to have had his loose robe and hood made out of fabric instead of soft vinyl, for $30 I thought it was a really nice figure.
The talking, sound effects, and light up feature are a fun bonus.
Well worth seeking out.

Thought I would mention it...
I'd recommend one to any Kylo Ren fan.
The best one I've seen that is 'affordable' and not a overpriced collectors statue.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom