The end for refillable mugs?

Disneydad08

So what if I buy 1 mug for my family of 4 and share it amoung us? Is that still stealing if the refills are unlimited? I just can't believe there's 26 pages about MUGS!!!!! With so many experts on this site how is Disney ever surviving without you working for them. If you have so many problems with the way Disney operates stop going!!!! I for one am a person that is a stickler for following rules , but could completely see peoples point in bringing back a mug and reusing it. If its got the same design then who's going to know anyway.

Wilt Dasney

This thread might take the record for highest percentage of posts expressing anger/disbelief at the number of posts the thread has. :lol:

Buried20KLeague

So what if I buy 1 mug for my family of 4 and share it amoung us? Is that still stealing if the refills are unlimited? I just can't believe there's 26 pages about MUGS!!!!! With so many experts on this site how is Disney ever surviving without you working for them. If you have so many problems with the way Disney operates stop going!!!! I for one am a person that is a stickler for following rules , but could completely see peoples point in bringing back a mug and reusing it. If its got the same design then who's going to know anyway.

Uh....

Welcome to the boards?

:lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

Thanks Burried 20k league! Been following for years but finally had to chime in. Didn't mean to sound negative but Disney is a love of mine.

I was being fairly sarcastic... You came out guns blazing for just posting once or twice.

It's a love of all of ours, even when sometimes it may not seem like it... Or we wouldn't be here.

But honestly, welcome to the boards.

piglets mom

reusing

Just to add fuel to the fire what about the people who bring back rain ponchos, aren't they stealing from Disney if they don't purchase a new poncho every time they go to WDW. Wouldn't it be the same thing as reusing the refillable mug. I think people need to police their own lives and let others deal with their own morals. Since most of us do not wear black robes and sit behind a court bench we do not have the right to judge others.

lilclerk

Just to add fuel to the fire what about the people who bring back rain ponchos, aren't they stealing from Disney if they don't purchase a new poncho every time they go to WDW. Wouldn't it be the same thing as reusing the refillable mug. I think people need to police their own lives and let others deal with their own morals. Since most of us do not wear black robes and sit behind a court bench we do not have the right to judge others.
There's no posted signage stating your rain poncho is only good for the length of your current trip... I bring ponchos from the dollar store :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Ponchos don't have a stipulation of only being used for one visit only. The mugs do.

Invalid comparison.

Biff215

But it would be stealing if you filled up your poncho with 12 oz. of soda.

I'm sure Disney welcomes you bringing the mug that you purchased during a previous trip, just don't fill it up with soda you technically did not buy.

sbkline

Ponchos don't have a stipulation of only being used for one visit only. The mugs do.

Invalid comparison.

I agree it's an invalid comparison but not because there is no stipulation about being used only for that visit. If such a stipulation did exist, it would be absurd because it is your poncho that you purchased that you are free to where as often as you want. The poncho is used to protect you from rain that nature provides, whereas the mug is used to fill with soda that Disney provides. So, while people can argue that you are stealing from Disney by filling up that mug with soda, no one could possibly argue that you are stealing anything by reusing that poncho.

So ya, I agree...invalid comparison.

However, for those of you who are so firmly opposed to "mug abuse", let me just remind you of what I posted a few pages back about how we are probably all guilty of theft in one form or another...each and every one of us. Anytime you take a few minutes extra on a paid break period at work, you are stealing. Anytime you use office stationary and office time to write out your shopping list, or your "to bring to Disney on your upcoming trip" list, you're stealing time and paper, even if it is only one sheet. Even to use the office ink pen for personal use, you're stealing a drop or two of ink for personal use.

In my opinion, these are all valid comparisons to "stealing" soda in last year's mug. Valid because it's a much more "apples to apples" comparison. The amount of money's worth that you're "stealing" from Disney by filling up that mug is probably pretty comparable to the amount of money you are stealing by using that sheet of paper to print out a joke forward, or the amount of money that a single sheet of paper would cost when you "steal" it from the stationary pad to write out your grocery list.

In the most miniscule ways, we're all thieves, and don't anyone try to say that your'e not. But some forms of theft are so miniscule that, even though they may technically be theft, no one ever conceives of it as being such. How many of us really stop to think that we're stealing from our employer everytime we stop and talk to a coworker about personal affair while on the clock, or any of the other examples I named.

Even though I may feel convicted to follow the rules about mug use, I find it hard to conceive of "mug abuse" as being theft on the same level as stuffing a DVD under your shirt at Walmart. To me, one form of theft is much more blatant than the other. I know many may disagree with me, but to me, they are two different things. To me, mug abuse is more comparable to walking through the food court on your way to the bus stop without buying anything, and grabbing a handful of napkins to take to the park with you for your kid's runny nose. Technically, that could be "theft" too, since those napkins are for the use of paying customers of the food court for use to wipe their hands and faces on this particular meal. But we all do it...or something similar. So let's all keep that in mind before we get too self righteous about the mug issue.

Biff215

Even though I may feel convicted to follow the rules about mug use, I find it hard to conceive of "mug abuse" as being theft on the same level as stuffing a DVD under your shirt at Walmart. To me, one form of theft is much more blatant than the other. I know many may disagree with me, but to me, they are two different things. To me, mug abuse is more comparable to walking through the food court on your way to the bus stop without buying anything, and grabbing a handful of napkins to take to the park with you for your kid's runny nose. Technically, that could be "theft" too, since those napkins are for the use of paying customers of the food court for use to wipe their hands and faces on this particular meal. But we all do it...or something similar. So let's all keep that in mind before we get too self righteous about the mug issue.

You do make some good points about theft that we all commit and don't think much about. Stealing is stealing no matter how it happens, and we are all probably guilty on some level.

I have to disagree, however, that the mug issue not being "blatant" theft. Packing your mug from a previous trip with the intent of filling it up at a fountain that clearly states it is not allowed is a conscious decision to break the rules. It is exactly why there are countless posts here trying to justify the act. People know the policy but instead choose to disregard it for just about any reason they can dream up.

The napkins are also not a fair comparison given the fact there is no sign or note on them stating that a purchase must be made to use one. So while it technically could be considered stealing, it's not really on the same level. The most fair comparison in my eyes is going into your local convenience store with the paper cup you purchased yesterday and getting a refill. Clearly this would be a questionable move and an employee could accuse you of stealing. That's comparing apples to apples.

sbkline

You do make some good points about theft that we all commit and don't think much about. Stealing is stealing no matter how it happens, and we are all probably guilty on some level.

I have to disagree, however, that the mug issue not being "blatant" theft. Packing your mug from a previous trip with the intent of filling it up at a fountain that clearly states it is not allowed is a conscious decision to break the rules. It is exactly why there are countless posts here trying to justify the act. People know the policy but instead choose to disregard it for just about any reason they can dream up.

The napkins are also not a fair comparison given the fact there is no sign or note on them stating that a purchase must be made to use one. So while it technically could be considered stealing, it's not really on the same level. The most fair comparison in my eyes is going into your local convenience store with the paper cup you purchased yesterday and getting a refill. Clearly this would be a questionable move and an employee could accuse you of stealing. That's comparing apples to apples.

But does there have to be a sign there in order for it to be "stealing"? I mean, I don't have a sign on my garage saying "don't take anything from garage", but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be stealing if someone walked in and took what they wanted. Stealing is stealing whether there is a written prohibition posted or not, which is why I consider the napkins to be comparable to the mug. And again, even though we may all agree in principle, that theft is theft no matter how small, in reality, I don't think we really believe that. Because, going back to my napkin example, I think we are all aware that those napkins are technically for paying guests. Paying guests at this moment, not someone who paid for a meal yesterday. The napkins are for current patrons to use with this meal, and not to stuff their purse to use as kleenexes later. Yet, I don't know too many of us who would have a moral issue with swiping a handful for just such a purpose, myself included. Yet none of us would be cool with someone walking in and opening the napkin container and taking the whole bundle. So we're cool with someone taking 5 napkins for the road, but not with someone taking them all. Why? Because whether we want to admit it or not, on some level, our perception of what constitutes "theft" depends on the quantity taken.

And keeping that in mind, few people would dispute that it would be theft to walk into the gift shop and steal a case of soda (or whatever kind of bundle they sell there, whether 6 pack or whatever), but many people just don't regard it as theft to help themselves to a refill with last year's mug, since the amount taken from Disney is so miniscule. Are they right to think that? Maybe not, but just keep in mind the ways in which YOU might be guilty of the same kind of rationalization regarding things you might take.

Biff215

But does there have to be a sign there in order for it to be "stealing"? I mean, I don't have a sign on my garage saying "don't take anything from garage", but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be stealing if someone walked in and took what they wanted. Stealing is stealing whether there is a written prohibition posted or not, which is why I consider the napkins to be comparable to the mug. And again, even though we may all agree in principle, that theft is theft no matter how small, in reality, I don't think we really believe that. Because, going back to my napkin example, I think we are all aware that those napkins are technically for paying guests. Paying guests at this moment, not someone who paid for a meal yesterday. The napkins are for current patrons to use with this meal, and not to stuff their purse to use as kleenexes later. Yet, I don't know too many of us who would have a moral issue with swiping a handful for just such a purpose, myself included. Yet none of us would be cool with someone walking in and opening the napkin container and taking the whole bundle. So we're cool with someone taking 5 napkins for the road, but not with someone taking them all. Why? Because whether we want to admit it or not, on some level, our perception of what constitutes "theft" depends on the quantity taken.

And keeping that in mind, few people would dispute that it would be theft to walk into the gift shop and steal a case of soda (or whatever kind of bundle they sell there, whether 6 pack or whatever), but many people just don't regard it as theft to help themselves to a refill with last year's mug, since the amount taken from Disney is so miniscule. Are they right to think that? Maybe not, but just keep in mind the ways in which YOU might be guilty of the same kind of rationalization regarding things you might take.

Love the garage comment, that's a good point. I better make a sign tomorrow... :animwink:

I also admit I'm guilty of the stealing you brought up. Just today I ripped off a sticky note to write down a couple of things I didn't want to miss on our WDW trip next week. Did I buy the paper? No, so I stole it. But my employer makes no attempt to stop something like this, and likely would laugh if I turned myself in. Disney, on the other hand, has made an attempt to remind the paying guest of their policy by explicitly stating it at the point of purchase. Blatantly ignoring this fact is what makes this different in my opinion.

I guess I'll add "Buy refillable mugs" to my stolen note from today. It's too much of a hassle to pack the old ones even if I was okay with refilling them. :ROFLOL:

sbkline

Love the garage comment, that's a good point. I better make a sign tomorrow... :animwink:

I also admit I'm guilty of the stealing you brought up. Just today I ripped off a sticky note to write down a couple of things I didn't want to miss on our WDW trip next week. Did I buy the paper? No, so I stole it. But my employer makes no attempt to stop something like this, and likely would laugh if I turned myself in. Disney, on the other hand, has made an attempt to remind the paying guest of their policy by explicitly stating it at the point of purchase. Blatantly ignoring this fact is what makes this different in my opinion.

I guess I'll add "Buy refillable mugs" to my stolen note from today. It's too much of a hassle to pack the old ones even if I was okay with refilling them. :ROFLOL:

And I guess that gets back to the issue of how serious Disney seems to be with this written policy. As myself and many others have testified, we have been told by CMs, contrary to the written policy, that we are welcome to bring our mugs back. And Disney shows no interest in enforcing this policy, other than the written policy printed on the mug. So there is legitimate cause to debate just how serious Disney is with that written policy. Add to that the fact that if a CM does tell a guest that he can bring his mug back, then that guest has official permission from a CM, who represents the company to that guest, to refill his old mug. At that point, we have a customer who is acting in good faith based on what an employee told him and the blame then shifts to the CM. It would be like me telling a customer at work that I can take 20% off of that lawnmower without management authorization. Is the customer guilty of theft? No, I, as a representative of the company, told him he could have that mower for that price. If management has a beef with that, they aren't going to check the security tapes to try to track him down. They're going to call ME back to the office and deal with me as they see fit.

Just curious, though, since you say it's the written policy that makes the difference in your mind, what about fast food restaraunts that don't have a written policy regarding the soda fountains out in the lobby. Does that mean you would be okay with it if you saw someone walk into Taco Bell with a Burger King cup and take a refill? I hope you don't think I'm being hostile or sarcastic or anything. I'm just genuinely curious.

As for myself, I must admit that in this particular case, at least, it is the quantity being taken that makes the difference. Even though I feel led to follow the rules on mug use, I really don't care if someone brings an old mug back. However, if I see someone bring their orange igloo cooler into the food cour and proceed to fill it up, I'm gonna feel pretty judgemental about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom