The end for refillable mugs?

slappy magoo

If you all are so worried about these so called soda thiefs next time you see someone with an outdated cup call them out. If not you are accessory to theft since you witnessed it and did nothing to stop it.

Nah, I'll just keep going on thinking of them as inconsiderate d-bags. Thanks.

Wow, can't believe this thread is still going.

Just got back from a road trip, and I'm proud to say I only used the restrooms from where I purchased drinks.

However, the lady at Denny's in Winston-Salem wouldn't give me a to-go mug for my beverage. Mentioned something about forums and bad karma. :ROFLOL:

stuart

Just back from Riverside, where we still used our Dixie Landings mugs - and we werent the only ones.

Interestingly enough however, we were in the food court and a manager looked and said oh wow, 'not seen one of the dixie mugs in a while!' The CM she was with said how she hadnt seen them before and the CM who spotted the mugs went on to say 'yeah this hotel used to be called Dixie Landings, and back then the mugs were for life, so guests can keep bringing them back and using them forever. There are even older yellow and brown ones you sometimes see - they were the original ones.'

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just back from Riverside, where we still used our Dixie Landings mugs - and we werent the only ones.

Interestingly enough however, we were in the food court and a manager looked and said oh wow, 'not seen one of the dixie mugs in a while!' The CM she was with said how she hadnt seen them before and the CM who spotted the mugs went on to say 'yeah this hotel used to be called Dixie Landings, and back then the mugs were for life, so guests can keep bringing them back and using them forever. There are even older yellow and brown ones you sometimes see - they were the original ones.'

Interesting...I think that once again verifies the policy that they USED to be good for life - but the new ones are only good for the current visit now.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It amazes me how circular these threads are. :)

And the same thing will pop up 5-6 months from now. :lol:

Oh yeah and the OP will get read the riot act about not searching, then we will rehash this thread all over, just as this thread is a rehash of several just like it.

History has a way of repeating itself.

Figments Friend

Yeah...but it makes it all the more fun though!

:D

Nice to hear yet more confirmation about what i remember back in 2001...when i bought my first mug...a 'lifer'.

I am naughty..as i still use it .......

( all the time at home and work!)

And sometimes at my Resort...
The last time i brought my original back was 3 years ago, and a couple of folks wanted to know where i bought it. They liked it better then the travel mugs...and they thought the design was a LOT cooler too.

I love my original 'fat' ASM Mug!!!

:)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

StingraySam

I have a question and this senario was presented a few pages back but I think this is more direct. If I purchase a refillable mug for a weekend stay then return the following weekend, should I purchase a new mug? What if I am staying for two weeks, my first week is at one resort then move to another resort, but I stayed offsite for one night between my move? Technically my length of stay ended when I went offsite for the one night. By the logic I gather from some I should purchase a new mug because I have started I new stay and I am at a new resort. My question is where does one draw the line of when you should purchase a new mug?

Lucky

Interesting...I think that once again verifies the policy that they USED to be good for life - but the new ones are only good for the current visit now.
Was it for the life of the mug, or the life of the purchaser? When I die can someone pry the mug out of my cold hands and rush down to DisneyWorld for free soda? Or should the mug get tossed in the casket with me? When I draw up my will, can I find an attorney who specializes in refillable-mug law?

bugsbunny

You people that are self absorbed over this really need to get it together. :ROFLOL: Its neither a loss leader or a money drain for WDW in any way shape or form. Its obvious they simply do not care about the mugs being reused again and again. And the only reason they change them up is because like any other WDW merchandise, people will buy the new or different version.

I can't see them going to a key system or anything like that to operate their drink dispensers since its a ridiculous expense in materials overhead to monitor something that costs pennies. And what to do when you don't have a room key and you are at a different hotel? I visit other hotels and I want a soda. How would I get one from a fountain if I don't have some type of electronic key to that hotel? Or if I'm staying off property and go to a hotel to catch lunch or something?

I have about 12 mugs purchased over the last 15+ years. I have no idea if any of them are "for life" or "for length of stay" and quite frankly, I don't care either way.

I will continue to use ANY of them at ANY resort on ANY trip. Label me a d-bag as some of you righteous d-bags seem to think is OK, I really don't care. I have EASILY spent $50K on WDW trips in the last 15 years and if any of you actually believe Disney has any issue with me having a mug of soda in a manner you describe as "stealing", you are delusional.

Do any of you actually think for a second WDW is going to jeopardize my repeated thousands of dollars a year expenditures with them over 50 cents worth of soda? Or that colored water Nescafe they try to pass off as coffee?

WDW has bigger things to worry about right now and soda mugs certainly can't be on top of the list. If it is, the place is doomed.

zweltar

Do any of you actually think for a second WDW is going to jeopardize my repeated thousands of dollars a year expenditures with them over 50 cents worth of soda? Or that colored water Nescafe they try to pass off as coffee?
Do any of you really think that people would stop going to Disney World if they couldn't steal soda anymore?

In other news, when I bought my mug, I was told it was good for eternity. Yup, that's right folks, there are free refills in the afterlife!

Biff215

You people that are self absorbed over this really need to get it together. :ROFLOL: Its neither a loss leader or a money drain for WDW in any way shape or form. Its obvious they simply do not care about the mugs being reused again and again. And the only reason they change them up is because like any other WDW merchandise, people will buy the new or different version.

I can't see them going to a key system or anything like that to operate their drink dispensers since its a ridiculous expense in materials overhead to monitor something that costs pennies. And what to do when you don't have a room key and you are at a different hotel? I visit other hotels and I want a soda. How would I get one from a fountain if I don't have some type of electronic key to that hotel? Or if I'm staying off property and go to a hotel to catch lunch or something?

I have about 12 mugs purchased over the last 15+ years. I have no idea if any of them are "for life" or "for length of stay" and quite frankly, I don't care either way.

I will continue to use ANY of them at ANY resort on ANY trip. Label me a d-bag as some of you righteous d-bags seem to think is OK, I really don't care. I have EASILY spent $50K on WDW trips in the last 15 years and if any of you actually believe Disney has any issue with me having a mug of soda in a manner you describe as "stealing", you are delusional.

WDW has bigger things to worry about right now and soda mugs certainly can't be on top of the list. If it is, the place is doomed.

Saying Disney doesn't care about guests using "old" mugs is not necessarily true. They clearly have made an attempt to discourage this with the signs that are posted both where the mugs are sold and at the fountains themselves. Although rare, some guests have even been approached by some brave CM's while trying to refill mugs from previous stays. So to say Disney doesn't care might be a little strong. I think it would be more accurate to assume that you are still in the minority so they are selling enough "new" mugs to make a profit. We all know Disney isn't going to miss out on an opportunity to make money, so you can bet they will institute a scan system if and when it becomes a big enough issue to affect their bottom line.

I really don't care if you reuse your mug, that's your decision. But trying to justify it by saying how much you have spent at WDW? Should this also entitle you to Fast Passes and free upgrades at the resorts?

Eyorefan

Saying Disney doesn't care about guests using "old" mugs is not necessarily true. They clearly have made an attempt to discourage this with the signs that are posted both where the mugs are sold and at the fountains themselves. Although rare, some guests have even been approached by some brave CM's while trying to refill mugs from previous stays. So to say Disney doesn't care might be a little strong. I think it would be more accurate to assume that you are still in the minority so they are selling enough "new" mugs to make a profit. We all know Disney isn't going to miss out on an opportunity to make money, so you can bet they will institute a scan system if and when it becomes a big enough issue to affect their bottom line.

I really don't care if you reuse your mug, that's your decision. But trying to justify it by saying how much you have spent at WDW? Should this also entitle you to Fast Passes and free upgrades at the resorts?

I honestly don't think Disney cares if we reuse mugs... why do I say that? Because I took the mug I bought in 2009 during my stay at AKL with me on my June 2010 trip when I stayed at POFQ. Not one CM said a word to me about using my "old mug". I'm pretty sure that was because my "old mug" looks EXACTLY like the ones they were selling in the food court.

If Disney is really looking for an opportunity to make money they would make resort spacific mugs... or redesign the mugs every year... or heck keep the same design and put a year on the mug...

I stoped caring about stealing soda when Disney stopped caring about. Why would I should I folk over another $12 for a mug I already own? So I can sleep at night knowing that I didn't steal 50 cents from a multi billion dollar corporation?

Biff215

I honestly don't think Disney cares if we reuse mugs... why do I say that? Because I took the mug I bought in 2009 during my stay at AKL with me on my June 2010 trip when I stayed at POFQ. Not one CM said a word to me about using my "old mug". I'm pretty sure that was because my "old mug" looks EXACTLY like the ones they were selling in the food court.

If Disney is really looking for an opportunity to make money they would make resort spacific mugs... or redesign the mugs every year... or heck keep the same design and put a year on the mug...

I stoped caring about stealing soda when Disney stopped caring about. Why would I should I folk over another $12 for a mug I already own? So I can sleep at night knowing that I didn't steal 50 cents from a multi billion dollar corporation?

Like you said, whatever helps you sleep at night...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom