The end for refillable mugs?

LoriMistress

Come on now, its not like they are stealing large expensive items, its soda!! Everyone has done it once or twice in their life, I'm sure you have filled a cup at the gas station, drank half of it and then refilled it before paying or something along those lines.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not condoning the practice, nor have I ever done it myself while in WDW. But to say in so many words that people who steal soda are scum is a bit harsh. :rolleyes:

Stealing is stealing, no matter how much you try to spin it. I don't understand the logic on how a parent can justify stealing to their child. So where does the parent drawn the line on when it's okay to steal and not steal? So it's okay to dine and ditch? Is it okay to steal money? Where do YOU draw the line on what and what isn't okay to steal? You may think stealing a soda from a "big company" isn't a big deal because you're just thinking of yourself. You are probably thinking, "I'm just one person" or "It's just my family that's doing it." But image, thousands of people/families that do this on a daily basis. They are losing money. People wonder why drinks/souvenirs/food/etc. are so expensive. It's because hundreds, if not thousands, of people steal from them on a daily basis. They have to make up the lost, therefore, by enforcing strict rules, and raising prices.

PurpleDragon

Stealing is stealing, no matter how much you try to spin it. I don't understand the logic on how a parent can justify stealing to their child. So where does the parent drawn the line on when it's okay to steal and not steal? So it's okay to dine and ditch? Is it okay to steal money? Where do YOU draw the line on what and what isn't okay to steal? You may think stealing a soda from a "big company" isn't a big deal because you're just thinking of yourself. You are probably thinking, "I'm just one person" or "It's just my family that's doing it." But image, thousands of people/families that do this on a daily basis. They are losing money. People wonder why drinks/souvenirs/food/etc. are so expensive. It's because hundreds, if not thousands, of people steal from them on a daily basis. They have to make up the lost, therefore, by enforcing strict rules, and raising prices.

Hey calm down, if you re-read my post I specifically stated I was not condoning the practice nor have I ever done it at WDW. But my point is that saying people who steal a cup of soda once or twice in their lives is the same as a person who commits grand larceny is a bit over the top. Yes stealing is wrong no matter how you slice it. But often times the theft of soda is simply taking advantage of a situation to get a few extra ounces of soda and is usually done out of a sense of entitlement, its not the same as premeditated grand larceny which is usually done out of envy, greed, and often with ill intent. The 2 are completely different.

Again I'm not justifying the stealing of soda, nor am I saying people should do it, but what I am saying is the theft of soda is hardly a crime worthy of jail time, nor should the people that do it be insulted for doing so. They know they're breaking the rules/laws and eventually their conscience or karma will get the better of them and they will stop, they do not need to be insulted and degraded by you for something so petty.

LoriMistress

Hey calm down, if you re-read my post I specifically stated I was not condoning the practice nor have I ever done it at WDW. But my point is that saying people who steal a cup of soda once or twice in their lives is the same as a person who commits grand larceny is a bit over the top. Yes stealing is wrong no matter how you slice it. But often times the theft of soda is simply taking advantage of a situation to get a few extra ounces of soda and is usually done out of a sense of entitlement, its not the same as premeditated grand larceny which is usually done out of envy, greed, and often with ill intent. The 2 are completely different.

Again I'm not justifying the stealing of soda, nor am I saying people should do it, but what I am saying is the theft of soda is hardly a crime worthy of jail time, nor should the people that do it be insulted for doing so. They know they're breaking the rules/laws and eventually their conscience or karma will get the better of them and they will stop, they do not need to be insulted and degraded by you for something so petty.
To be completely honest, I was completely calm when I wrote it. I never said anything negative towards you, and it wasn't my intentions to imply that. My response was towards anyone that has the same mentality of, "it's just one (fill in the blank)". Please don't take my comment as a personal attack against you.

So people who intentionally steal shouldn't be "degraded" or even frowned upon when they steal? So how would you handle the situation if your child was caught stealing? Would you just disregard their bad behavior? People that steal should be frowned upon, because it's ethically and morally wrong.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

You had me until the bold. They most certainly do deserve to be insulted. They are dirty thieves.

PurpleDragon

Yes, next time someone is caught refilling their resort cups from 5 years ago, be sure to scream insults at them and call them "Dirty Stinking Thieves!!". :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is while theft is a problem, getting worked up over people abusing an open soda fountain is just not worth it.

Yes, next time someone is caught refilling their resort cups from 5 years ago, be sure to scream insults at them and call them "Dirty Stinking Thieves!!". :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is while theft is a problem, getting worked up over people abusing an open soda fountain is just not worth it.

Agreed...

Though that would be some funny s&%t...

"Hey, you, in the blue Mickey Shirt!!! That's stealing you Dirty Thief!! Security!!":ROFLOL:

I say we start a trend...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
£30 software ^

As for steeling things, I have a massive Stars and Stripes that USAFE had carelessly left up a flag pole when we visited, I also have some MVMCP napkins and a collection of resort toiletries, a collection of uniform I never returned on demob, I never went back to the restaurant when I realised they hadnt charged for the appetizers and at breakfast in the mess I used to have two glasses of orange juice instead of the regulation one.

Yes Im going to hell, but at least they'll have all the best bands.

RiversideBunny

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end

:rolleyes:

Bluewaves

They very well could also do a you scan your mug and you can't refill it again for something like 5 minutes so people just don't go and fill up other containers too. It also makes sense from a business point of view to see how many times on average people fill up a mug a day for a pricing stand point.

happykid25

Here's a question to throw out to everyone...

Would you buy a "lifetime" mug that would be good for any Disney Resort until the mug fell apart? What would you pay for it?

We travel to Disney often (1-2x per year) and often try out several resorts. I would buy a "lifetime" mug, but these would be my conditions...

1 - It was clearly labeled as such
2 - The design wasn't horrid - classic look preferably
3 - The cost seems semi-reasonable at the time. What that is? I'm not sure.

I don't think this would ever happen, primarily because of people sharing them across vacations (have you seen the fridge swaps that go on out there in the message board world). I'm not sure how they could reasonably control this, though it would be easier with the RFID technology I suppose. (Carry your room key with you and your mug is automatically activated at each check-in for your length of stay when verified that it is actually yours???)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom