The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

flavious27

I am sorry that your idea was contrived. But i'd rather have a Dole Whip then Coconut Cream Sludge. And the post above just proves how awesome it could be. :wave:

contrived? I was joking about how disney places similar food stands near each other. Dole can do the same thing it does in dl with something in wdw with another fruit, they sell alot of different types of fruits that they can promote.

JustInTime

contrived? I was joking about how disney places similar food stands near each other. Dole can do the same thing it does in dl with something in wdw with another fruit, they sell alot of different types of fruits that they can promote.

it's all light-hearted fun. I am just excited Tiki is getting love. Almost every flower was broken this past November. And well as the Tikis. This is much needed.

TP2000

Everything but the plasma screen please. I don't need those undeeded pieces to take me out of Adventureland's awesome atmosphere.

The plasma was actually an upgrade. From the 1960's until a few years ago, the screen up above the juice bar used a scopotone type movie machine that played the 4 minute Dole film on a movie screen. It could be hard to see however, and time wasn't kind to the old equipment from Walt's era. A few years ago the original 1960's film was digitially remastered and they fit a plasma screen in the space that once was a small movie screen.

The 1960's film is called "The Flavor Of Hawaii" and it's Disneyland history and quite famous, and many fans will wait to enter the pre-show lanai until after the theater is loaded so they can make sure they see the movie because it's so kitschy and beloved.

The Dole preshow film amongst the thatched roof may not translate well to 21st century WDW audiences, but at Disneyland it's part of the magic of the show. For those curious about a piece of Walt-era Tiki Room kitsch, here's the YouTube video of the little movie that plays every 20 minutes above the juice bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGkPeJV3jo&playnext=1&list=PL1D7707C6CEF3035A

"The golden cylinders are then inspected and trimmed." -The Flavor Of Hawaii pre-show film :lol:

The Duck

The plasma was actually an upgrade. From the 1960's until a few years ago, the screen up above the juice bar used a scopotone type movie machine that played the 4 minute Dole film on a movie screen. It could be hard to see however, and time wasn't kind to the old equipment from Walt's era. A few years ago the original 1960's film was digitially remastered and they fit a plasma screen in the space that once was a small movie screen.

The 1960's film is called "The Flavor Of Hawaii" and it's Disneyland history and quite famous, and many fans will wait to enter the pre-show lanai until after the theater is loaded so they can make sure they see the movie because it's so kitschy and beloved.

The Dole preshow film amongst the thatched roof may not translate well to 21st century WDW audiences, but at Disneyland it's part of the magic of the show. For those curious about a piece of Walt-era Tiki Room kitsch, here's the YouTube video of the little movie that plays every 20 minutes above the juice bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGkPeJV3jo&playnext=1&list=PL1D7707C6CEF3035A

"The golden cylinders are then inspected and trimmed." -The Flavor Of Hawaii pre-show film :lol:

I've often heard about the "Dole Commercial" but have never seen it til now. Thanks for posting.

Spike-in-Berlin

Putting him in the shooting gallery? :ROFLOL:

I don't think any of us would mind that!

Actually it would urge me for the first time to pay for the shooting galleriy, just to shoot Iago again and again. Exactly what I wanted to do when I heard and saw him for the first time in the Tiki Room UNM. Shoot him down.

Spike-in-Berlin

It will be the original show without the Offenbach number. I.E. what's in Disneyland.

And that's a good change because Barcarolle didn't fit into the Tiki and Polynesian Pop theming at all. I heard that it was the part of the original show were some guests left the room or fell asleep.

puntagordabob

It's been said a million times...but I wish they would move the Dole Whip stand and allow you to bring them into the theater. Disneyland does this and it makes the attraction extremely popular. I would love for that to be a new tradition for WDW.

Yep....we all keep saying this...hopefully someone at WDW has been reading this thread...

Well instead of cloning the experience from dlr, why not create a new one? There are many tropical treats that could be made and served, why not have dole whip something up using Coconut cream?

Dole whip is simply one of the choices you have to buy at the stand....many other choices are offered.

The tagline "Walt Disney's..." appears in both written and spoken communication at Disneyland locations, and that will likely not make the jump to WDW since Walt died 5 years before the Magic Kingdom Park opened and none of it is literally Walt's like it is at Disneyland. But the Presented by Dole line could theoretically make the jump to the WDW show, and it would improve the experience greatly.

And to take your Tiki Room experience home, Dole also offers up a free series of recipe cards, .

Want those recipe cards...I never noticed them at DL!

I agree on how wonderful it would be if Dole took over sponorship.

As for "Walt Disney" tagline.... I wish they would add it in..and perhaps a small "History" of the attraction giving kudos to its "original" in Anaheim... seems to work for our CoP queue. By the way CoP has Walt's tagline in it at our MK....and yes I know it was all shipped over here to the MK and all that....

Everything but the plasma screen please. I don't need those undeeded pieces to take me out of Adventureland's awesome atmosphere.

If Dole were to sponsor the Tiki Room I would hang the TV and plug it in myself. Dole is a great company and REALLY cares about The Enchanted Tiki Room at DL... having them oversee the MK Tiki Room would be worth a plasma TV IMHO!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If Dole were to sponsor the Tiki Room I would hang the TV and plug it in myself. Dole is a great company and REALLY cares about The Enchanted Tiki Room at DL... having them oversee the MK Tiki Room would be worth a plasma TV IMHO!

I'll help you hold the ladder and run the cables. Seriously, Dole being involved in the Tiki room would be perfect, and it would probably ensure that the attraction would receive some extra attention every once in a while instead of being left to rot. Gotta keep those sponsors happy.

gerryu21220

As for "Walt Disney" tagline.... I wish they would add it in..and perhaps a small "History" of the attraction giving kudos to its "original" in Anaheim... seems to work for our CoP queue. By the way CoP has Walt's tagline in it at our MK....and yes I know it was all shipped over here to the MK and all that....

That isn't quite the same. The COP's original title was General Electric's Carousel of Progress. Even the opening line of the show was "Welcome to the General Electric Carousel of Progress Theater".

When G.E. dropped sponsorship of the show, MK changed the title to Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and deleted all references to G.E.

Neither of the original sponsors of the Tiki Room – United Airlines or Dole – had their names as part of the title of the attraction.

TP2000

That isn't quite the same. The COP's original title was General Electric's Carousel of Progress. Even the opening line of the show was "Welcome to the General Electric Carousel of Progress Theater".

When G.E. dropped sponsorship of the show, MK changed the title to Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and deleted all references to G.E.

Neither of the original sponsors of the Tiki Room – United Airlines or Dole – had their names as part of the title of the attraction.

Yup. Walt's name shows up a few other times, spoken by pre-show narration or Jose the parrot host.

The entrance to Disneyland's Tiki Room is quite dramatic, and that last announcement on the pre-show lanai is always a bold step back to 1963... "Ladies and gentlemen, come with us to a world of joyous songs and wondrous miracles, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room! BONG!"

You can hear that famous line at the last bit of this 5 minute pre-show video where the Gods and Godesses on the lanai wake up and introduce themselves, after the Dole commercial plays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6P-_Aoe0pU&feature=related

At Disneyland Jose is woken up to start the show and he says "Oh, look at all the people! Welcome to Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room!" That line is heard at the 20 second mark of this full-show video from Disneyland... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHTJLBxyDfk&feature=related

That may be the only time an animatronic actually says Walt Disney's name in any of the parks, isn't it?

The mention of Walt Disney by Jose was sadly edited out from the Florida show.

It would be nice if they could include some Walt into the Florida Tiki Room when it reopens next month. Maybe do something in the pre-show and mention how important the Tiki Room was to the development of animatronics in the early 1960's and how revolutionary the show was when it opened at Disneyland in 1963? Anything would be better than William and Morriss arguing with each other behind waterfall doors coated in mildew. On the Walk In Walt's Footsteps guided tour at Disneyland they make a big deal out of the stop at the Tiki Room, and the tour guide really goes into the history and backstory behind it all, including a chance to inspect one of the early animatronic birds backstage. Adding Walt back in to the Tiki Room in Florida would seem to be a very good idea, and would help erase the tacky and bad vibes that show in the Magic Kingdom has had for the last 15 years.

Walt Disney welcomes Jose to his new perch at Disneyland - June, 1963
twidh_0618_walttikiroom_500.jpg

TP2000

I've often heard about the "Dole Commercial" but have never seen it til now. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome! It's a very kitschy and ridiculously 1960's video, but it's quite famous and a fun little thing to watch while slurping a Dole Whip on the Tiki Room lanai. :lol:

And honestly, with the plasma screen instead of the movie screen, it's never looked better.

puntagordabob

The mention of Walt Disney by Jose was sadly edited out from the Florida show.

It would be nice if they could include some Walt into the Florida Tiki Room when it reopens next month. Maybe do something in the pre-show and mention how important the Tiki Room was to the development of animatronics in the early 1960's and how revolutionary the show was when it opened at Disneyland in 1963? Anything would be better than William and Morriss arguing with each other behind waterfall doors coated in mildew. On the Walk In Walt's Footsteps guided tour at Disneyland they make a big deal out of the stop at the Tiki Room, and the tour guide really goes into the history and backstory behind it all, including a chance to inspect one of the early animatronic birds backstage. Adding Walt back in to the Tiki Room in Florida would seem to be a very good idea, and would help erase the tacky and bad vibes that show in the Magic Kingdom has had for the last 15 years.

Yeah you and I are on the same page with this... something similar to the CoP treatment where they have part of the preshow show Walt's part in what you are about to see and of course the history!

FYI they show an early AA Flower (picture is at extreme bottom of this post) of the Tiki Room in DL's Walking In Walt's Footsteps tour at DL (the last time we were there in Oct 2010). Even got my picture in the 99% empty show room... :)
5203799323_94e50d3458_b.jpg

5952193261_30a87feaa1_z.jpg

Our Guide was Edmundo..... he was awesome!!!!! If you have a chance to tour with him you should jump on it because he was not only well versed in Disneyland history, but also has some personal stories that are really great too!

mickey2008.1

Thanks for the great videos. I now remember how it used to be somewhat. Not sure, but wasnt the orange bird meet n greet around the tiki room. I cant remember back then, just the orange bird himself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom