The "Disney Look"

I can't comment on this case since none of us know the full details (not that that has stopped everyone else) but in general I think Disney should allow turbans and headscarves. I don't think it would affect the integrity of the Disney Look at all and I think it would be so incidental that no one would notice.

The Mom

Premium Member
have to share a few of my favorites from Bob and Doug for you fans...then we can get back to your regularly scheduled ranting....
QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I was living in Toronto back when this was live, circa 1981. They were also filming "You Can't Do That on Television" at a nearby studio.

Now, back to the more serious discussion. ;)

T-1MILLION

Let's say I have a Tattoo that is important to me. Religious Ethic value to me. So when Disney says that it is visible and they will not hire me for a 'role' job where I need to be in costume such as attractions...I have to deal with it. I respect this person has this as their faith, but Disney is a private company and they have a right to deny hire for these kind of reasons.

Let's say I have a Tattoo that is important to me. Religious Ethic value to me. So when Disney says that it is visible and they will not hire me for a 'role' job where I need to be in costume such as attractions...I have to deal with it. I respect this person has this as their faith, but Disney is a private company and they have a right to deny hire for these kind of reasons.
--------------------

In that case they would allow him to wear an undershirt or long trousers to cover it up. As they do with people with tattoos who work for them now.

And because theyre a private company, does that mean that they can also not hire someone for being black? What a ridiculous statement.

And this is what is comes down to. Case aside. Should a park set in i dont know, medieval england, be allowed not to hire black guys, because black people were very few and far between in medieval england??? Would your constitution allow that discrimination? Would you say that a black guy would just have to find a job somewhere else, since it isnt his right to work, its only a privilege?? How about a guy in a wheelchair? that definitely wouldnt be seen in medieval england.

T-1MILLION

--------------------

In that case they would allow him to wear an undershirt or long trousers to cover it up. As they do with people with tattoos who work for them now.

And because theyre a private company, does that mean that they can also not hire someone for being black? What a ridiculous statement.

Yes, actually they could. Although that would be racist. It is a private company and it happens all the time. It is a ridiculous thing, but not a ridiculous statement. It happens all the time.

If I got a tattoo on my face due to my religious values on my face somewhere they can not get that covered up by every costume. Therefor I could be get the job for the company I wanted.

This is different from races though. It is attire. Private companies can have any sort of code of conduct they want for it. Your argument strays from that.

TigerLily_CM

I can't comment on this case since none of us know the full details (not that that has stopped everyone else) but in general I think Disney should allow turbans and headscarves. I don't think it would affect the integrity of the Disney Look at all and I think it would be so incidental that no one would notice.

I agree...it is supposed to be a small world after all...not a small world where everyone looks exactly the same (unless I haven't been hearing the song properly)
:lookaroun

BTW...I am trying to think back at the time I worked there and I KNOW I saw a man working in a Disney shop with a turban. He wore a black one every day...I just can't picture where. I think it was either the Centorium (yes it's been a while) or at Showcase plaza at one of the twin shops (I know what you're thinking and no...it wasn't in Morocco)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Ok,I am going out on a limb here.I am no Lawyer but I have in Mgt for 23 years.

I really do not see any form of Discrimination. Im sorry I just dont.

I would see a case if Disney said we do not want you working here because you are Muslim,Black,Spanish,Jew, or whatever.
Or we are not giving you a promotion because you are a woman.

Those cases....YES.

Disney has a dress code for all CMS that are onstage and if you cannnot conform to that well that is your choice not to work there and thus I dont see he was discriminited.

When you make EVERYONE abide by the same guidelines and dont give special treatment to some, how is this Discriminition?
Again, I dont practice law but dont see it.:shrug:

Depends what your guidelines are. If the guidelines make it impossible for people to comply with on the basis of one of the things that enjoys protection from discrimination under employment law (race, color, religion, ______, or national origin under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, disabilities under the ADA) AND there is no reason why that guideline is necessary to do the job well, I'm reasonably confident that it would be considered a violation of the law and very confident that I would consider such guideline to be wrong. For example, let's say you run a travel agency. You have every right to decide, for example, that your telephone representatives should stand instead of sit, and that should wear no hat while working. But if a person in a wheelchair wants the job, you ought to have to explain why standing is necessary to do the job, as opposed to just a personal preference on your part as the boss. Similarly, if a legitamate part of a person's religious belief is wearing a turban, you ought to have to show that the turban somehow interferes with taking telephone reservations.

My experience with these laws is minimal. My experience with life is much greater. Both tell me that it is possible to be uniform but still be discriminatory, and that making reasonable accomodations is the right thing to do.

Wilt Dasney

Depends what your guidelines are. If the guidelines make it impossible for people to comply with on the basis of one of the things that enjoys protection from discrimination under employment law (race, color, religion, ______, or national origin under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, disabilities under the ADA) AND there is no reason why that guideline is necessary to do the job well, I'm reasonably confident that it would be considered a violation of the law and very confident that I would consider such guideline to be wrong. For example, let's say you run a travel agency. You have every right to decide, for example, that your telephone representatives should stand instead of sit, and that should wear no hat while working. But if a person in a wheelchair wants the job, you ought to have to explain why standing is necessary to do the job, as opposed to just a personal preference on your part as the boss. Similarly, if a legitamate part of a person's religious belief is wearing a turban, you ought to have to show that the turban somehow interferes with taking telephone reservations.

Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but I think that's the best breakdown of the legal questions I've seen here.

Basically, a company can set conditions for employment, but if compliance with those conditions is impossible for people in a particular category based on inherent limitations that come with belonging to that category, then that might be unlawful discrimination, even if the conditions are applied equally.

And that's as far as we can really take it. The answer to "is it" or "isn't it" will be based on the specifics of the case, as seen by a jury or judge.

Yes, actually they could. Although that would be racist. It is a private company and it happens all the time. It is a ridiculous thing, but not a ridiculous statement. It happens all the time.

If I got a tattoo on my face due to my religious values on my face somewhere they can not get that covered up by every costume. Therefor I could be get the job for the company I wanted.

This is different from races though. It is attire. Private companies can have any sort of code of conduct they want for it. Your argument strays from that.

Actually they they can't, that's why civil rights laws exist, to keep private companies from refusing to hire people based on religion, race, or gender.

I just think that reasonable accomadations can be made for turbans and headscarves within the parks. Everyone keeps using the Mainstreet example but that's hardly the only part of Disney World or even Disney Land. Would they ruin the theming in Tommorowland? I think they'd actually work with some of the theming in Advertureland. Futureworld in Epcot, anywhere in Downtown Disney, etc. It's pretty close minded to think that a turban or headscarf has no place in Disney.

cblodg

Actually they they can't, that's why civil rights laws exist, to keep private companies from refusing to hire people based on religion, race, or gender.

I just think that reasonable accomadations can be made for turbans and headscarves within the parks. Everyone keeps using the Mainstreet example but that's hardly the only part of Disney World or even Disney Land. Would they ruin the theming in Tommorowland? I think they'd actually work with some of the theming in Advertureland. Futureworld in Epcot, anywhere in Downtown Disney, etc. It's pretty close minded to think that a turban or headscarf has no place in Disney.

I agree with your statement. However, it all comes back to Disney's very public policy on "The Disney Look." We're not talking about race here. From what I have read this was a COLLEGE program band that he was a part of. Did he re-apply? I don't have an answer to that. If he did and Disney chose not to hire him/ hire him full time that is DISNEY's poragative.

This notion that Disney HAS to accomodate people only goes so far. Reasonable accomodations can be made. But from what I read, this person EXPECTED to get the job. This goes right back to my original post in this thread on how people EXPECT to get things, and not conform to a policy. Disney originally hired him on a TEMPORARY basis. When his contract was finnished, he decided to re-apply (or not depending on what is in the news cycle) and Disney didn't hire him, their right.

T-1MILLION

I am sorry maybe I was not being clear enough. Companies do, not that they can. It is wrong and I am disgusted by it. But companies do this all the time. They don't have to tell you why they are not hiring you. And if they do, they don't have to tell you the truth.

At any rate, this was not the reason he was not hired. People are easily offended at times and I am sorry for the guy that he can't work where he wants. But if a company wants you to not have any facial hair or headware on the job, like others have said. That is their right.

I agree with your statement. However, it all comes back to Disney's very public policy on "The Disney Look." We're not talking about race here. From what I have read this was a COLLEGE program band that he was a part of. Did he re-apply? I don't have an answer to that. If he did and Disney chose not to hire him/ hire him full time that is DISNEY's poragative.

This notion that Disney HAS to accomodate people only goes so far. Reasonable accomodations can be made. But from what I read, this person EXPECTED to get the job. This goes right back to my original post in this thread on how people EXPECT to get things, and not conform to a policy. Disney originally hired him on a TEMPORARY basis. When his contract was finnished, he decided to re-apply (or not depending on what is in the news cycle) and Disney didn't hire him, their right.

I'm not debating this actual case since I don't think any of us know enough about it, just the idea of whether or not Disney should make accomadations in general when it comes to headscarves and turbans or the like.

Something I don't understand about everyones argument saying that something like a turban or headscarf wouldn't fit into Mainstreet USA. Mainstreet USA is supposed to represent an early 1900's Mainstreet however they use modern electricity, computer systems for cash registers, sell DVD's and modern toys, etc. Yet no one says these things ruin the illussion and yet one man in a turban or one lady in a headscarf would? Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Wilt Dasney

Something I don't understand about everyones argument saying that something like a turban or headscarf wouldn't fit into Mainstreet USA. Mainstreet USA is supposed to represent an early 1900's Mainstreet however they use modern electricity, computer systems for cash registers, sell DVD's and modern toys, etc. Yet no one says these things ruin the illussion and yet one man in a turban or one lady in a headscarf would? Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Are you implying that Disney might put crass considerations like making money above preserving show integrity??? :eek:

kcw

just the idea of whether or not Disney should make accomadations in general when it comes to headscarves and turbans or the like.

I'll try this one more time, because maybe my posts are being skipped...

They already did accommodate him the first time he was hired!

Now I don't care whether he applied a second time and was denied, or whether he never applied at all a second time. The fact remains that Disney already showed (the first time around), that they would make accommodations for him- so his not being hired the second time around would NOT be because of religious discrimination, it would simply be other factors (ex- he never applied, wasn't still in the college band, there were more qualified applicants etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom