The "Disney Look"

TigerLily_CM

But anyways, the problem here I think lies with the fact that this guy had been hired before.

if he was hired before, he has a reasonable expectation that he'll be hired again.

However, put him to work backstage! Make a hole! You can't tell me there's jobs left undone in those areas of the park.

Why on earth would have a reasonable expectation of being hired again? there are about 10,000 people applying for every single job at Disney, they get millions of applicants a year.

Why would anyone who finished a contract have an expectation that they would get a 2nd opportunity at a job that 9,999 other people want and may even be more qualified for?

He was a university student who played in a band...he is no longer a university student who plays in a band. Why would they then call him back to be a chef at the Contemporary? He played such a good trombone that they should give him a second opportunity for a much wanted seasonal contract?

My feeling is that this has nothing to do with relegious rights or to turban or not to turban. He was hired with a beard and a turban, completed his contract and didn't get called back....just like the other 4 million University students before him. Now he wants some money and thought he'd suck it out of someone else.

wedway71

Ok,I am going out on a limb here.I am no Lawyer but I have in Mgt for 23 years.

I really do not see any form of Discrimination. Im sorry I just dont.

I would see a case if Disney said we do not want you working here because you are Muslim,Black,Spanish,Jew, or whatever.
Or we are not giving you a promotion because you are a woman.

Those cases....YES.

Disney has a dress code for all CMS that are onstage and if you cannnot conform to that well that is your choice not to work there and thus I dont see he was discriminited.

When you make EVERYONE abide by the same guidelines and dont give special treatment to some, how is this Discriminition?
Again, I dont practice law but dont see it.:shrug:

InfernalPenguin

Why on earth would have a reasonable expectation of being hired again? there are about 10,000 people applying for every single job at Disney, they get millions of applicants a year.

Why would anyone who finished a contract have an expectation that they would get a 2nd opportunity at a job that 9,999 other people want and may even be more qualified for?

He was a university student who played in a band...he is no longer a university student who plays in a band. Why would they then call him back to be a chef at the Contemporary? He played such a good trombone that they should give him a second opportunity for a much wanted seasonal contract?

My feeling is that this has nothing to do with relegious rights or to turban or not to turban. He was hired with a beard and a turban, completed his contract and didn't get called back....just like the other 4 million University students before him. Now he wants some money and thought he'd suck it out of someone else.

I think I phrased my point alot better in my last post. As for everything else, I need to sorta read up on the details of the case.

TigerLily_CM

update...he was in fact offered another position but I guess he was too good for it?

I just checked an update on this story and found that he was in fact offered another job...he was an assistant to the manager of his department but according to him he found this job to be "menial" so he complained to human resources. They informed him that he was hired as part of department and could not choose which position he had.

When his contract was up he left ('cause that's what you do when your contract is up) and when he tried to get the same job back the next year they didn't choose him (that's HIS story...Disney says he didn't reapply) but hey...who would rehire someone who was only there for a couple months and has already filed a complaint???????

As a former CM I know that i was hired for the Merchandise Dept...that meant I could work in either of the stores or any of the outdoor carts in the Canadian Pavilion or standing at the steps greeting each person that came by...I did not get to choose where I worked. I was later asked to train in the attraction of my pavilion (they liked the way I talked) :eek: so I had to resign a revised contract which made me both a merchandise Hostess and attractions hostess. I was the only person at the time who could work in two places and though many others wanted to they were not allowed....the attraction people could not work in the stores and the restaurant staff could not work in the attraction.

See....that's the way it goes, when you are hired for a job you don't get to choose what you do. I would have loved to work at the beer cart but I couldn't. Did I have to do menial tasks?...sure I did. Did I know what job I was hired for?...you bet. When my contract ended, did I have a hope in hell that I would get the same job back?...not one chance!!!! Am I bitter and suing over it pretending it's a racial issue (I say racial because I am a minority but you can substitute religious here if you want).....no I am not.

wedway71

I just checked an update on this story and found that he was in fact offered another job...he was an assistant to the manager of his department but according to him he found this job to be "menial" so he complained to human resources. They informed him that he was hired as part of department and could not choose which position he had.

When his contract was up he left ('cause that's what you do when your contract is up) and when he tried to get the same job back the next year they didn't choose him (that's HIS story...Disney says he didn't reapply) but hey...who would rehire someone who was only there for a couple months and has already filed a complaint???????

As a former CM I know that i was hired for the Merchandise Dept...that meant I could work in either of the stores or any of the outdoor carts in the Canadian Pavilion or standing at the steps greeting each person that came by...I did not get to choose where I worked. I was later asked to train in the attraction of my pavilion (they liked the way I talked) :eek: so I had to resign a revised contract which made me both a merchandise Hostess and attractions hostess. I was the only person at the time who could work in two places and though many others wanted to they were not allowed....the attraction people could not work in the stores and the restaurant staff could not work in the attraction.

See....that's the way it goes, when you are hired for a job you don't get to choose what you do. I would have loved to work at the beer cart but I couldn't. Did I have to do menial tasks?...sure I did. Did I know what job I was hired for?...you bet. When my contract ended, did I have a hope in hell that I would get the same job back?...not one chance!!!! Am I bitter and suing over it pretending it's a racial issue (I say racial because I am a minority but you can substitute religious here if you want).....no I am not.

I heard different.....I heard that he dropped his case against Disney to get a job at Hooters as a Male Server.

TigerLily_CM

Funny signature-BTW....

Growing up I always thought Canadians all looked like Bob and Doug McKenzie from Strange Brew and sat around all day drinking Elsinor Beer...:D

How's it goin', Eh? Welcome to "The Great White North" (***cue Geddy Lee from Rush singing "Take off, to the great white north, Take off, it's a beauty way to go...**)

Ahhh...yes, every Canadian stereotype rolled up into one FUNNY package :lol::lol::lol: I would be disgusted, if only they weren't all true :animwink:

and here are the Bob and Doug's cousins...

brother211.jpg

wedway71

How's it goin', Eh? Welcome to "The Great White North" (***cue Geddy Lee from Rush singing "Take off, to the great white north, Take off, it's a beauty way to go...**)

Ahhh...yes, every Canadian stereotype rolled up into one FUNNY package :lol::lol::lol: I would be disgusted, if only they weren't all true :animwink:

and here are the Bob and Doug's cousins...

brother211.jpg
My Dad was working for an Advertising Agency that handled Air Canada back in the mid 80s.I went with him to Toronto.We were at a really nice Restaraunt and I begged him to order an Elsinore beer and the server looked at him like he was crazy.:eek:

TigerLily_CM

have to share a few of my favorites from Bob and Doug for you fans...then we can get back to your regularly scheduled ranting....

How to get a mouse in a beer bottle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-llwCUTdQM&feature=related

Snow routes and the space arm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duksx545SE0&feature=related

Microwaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwvNBnVnuw&feature=related

How to roll a smoke with mitts on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddoO-a68vs&feature=related

Scooping up after the dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6G4O_qP3xo&feature=related

12 days of Christmas:xmas: (audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOR7sceBy20&feature=related

wedway71

have to share a few of my favorites from Bob and Doug for you fans...then we can get back to your regularly scheduled ranting....

How to get a mouse in a beer bottle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-llwCUTdQM&feature=related

Snow routes and the space arm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duksx545SE0&feature=related

Microwaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwvNBnVnuw&feature=related

How to roll a smoke with mitts on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddoO-a68vs&feature=related

Scooping up after the dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6G4O_qP3xo&feature=related

12 days of Christmas:xmas: (audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOR7sceBy20&feature=related

AND A BEER IN A TREE>>>>>>

TigerLily_CM

My Dad was working for an Advertising Agency that handled Air Canada back in the mid 80s.I went with him to Toronto.We were at a really nice Restaraunt and I begged him to order an Elsinore beer and the server looked at him like he was crazy.:eek:

how unprofessional...she should have just told you to "Take off!"

JLW11Hi

But an endless sea of Crocs, T-Shirts, trading pins, light up toys and assorted other goodies for sale is in keeping with the location/time period? Please. Those MORE than kill the atmosphere of a 1900s town. That ship has sailed - a turban here and there isn't going to kill the atmosphere anymore than all of the junk for sale in stores and on push carts down the middle of Main Street does.

Segregation and racism were rampant in the 1900s. If you are so worried about having a "true" 1900s feeling to the place, then shouldn't those aspects be reflected on Main Street then? NO, of course they shouldn't because that is an aspect of our history that (most of us) are not proud of (and we tend to shove it under the rug). So why is it ok to say that just because someone wears a turban they suddenly don't fit the atmosphere? Main Street is an IDEALIZED 1900s town. No where near reality - completely fictional. So a turban can be just as much part of that atmosphere as the other idealizations are.

Good post.

I wish the Disney company would uphold the many other aspects of the parks to the same thematic standards as the Disney look. Its funny to have such specific requirements justified as being part of the show when you have Mickey sweaters and crocs for sale in the Turn of the Century Emporium or the old western trading post. That kind of stuff is waaay more of a thematic buzz kill than someone wearing a turban.

I think the Disney look is more about making every Cast Member as approachable as possible. Not theming. That's what the costumes are for.

wedway71

Good post.

I wish the Disney company would uphold the many other aspects of the parks to the same thematic standards as the Disney look. Its funny to have such specific requirements justified as being part of the show when you have Mickey sweaters and crocs for sale in the Turn of the Century Emporium or the old western trading post. That kind of stuff is waaay more of a thematic buzz kill than someone wearing a turban.

I think the Disney look is more about making every Cast Member as approachable as possible. Not theming. That's what the costumes are for.

I do agree with you on the Merchandise.I too think it should be more themed to the area.
I will give Disney some wiggle room though at the Emporium on Main Street. That is one of the busiest and largest shops in WDW.Since it is normally the last place people shop before leaving it needs to be a one stop shopping destination.
One day I will make that happen.....:D

TigerLily_CM

But an endless sea of Crocs, T-Shirts, trading pins, light up toys and assorted other goodies for sale is in keeping with the location/time period? Please. Those MORE than kill the atmosphere of a 1900s town. That ship has sailed - a turban here and there isn't going to kill the atmosphere anymore than all of the junk for sale in stores and on push carts down the middle of Main Street does.

Segregation and racism were rampant in the 1900s. If you are so worried about having a "true" 1900s feeling to the place, then shouldn't those aspects be reflected on Main Street then? NO, of course they shouldn't because that is an aspect of our history that (most of us) are not proud of (and we tend to shove it under the rug). So why is it ok to say that just because someone wears a turban they suddenly don't fit the atmosphere? Main Street is an IDEALIZED 1900s town. No where near reality - completely fictional. So a turban can be just as much part of that atmosphere as the other idealizations are.

I completely get what your saying here. I always felt that Main Street was not designed to be an accurate portrait of any place in the USA but a utopia of simpler times. Buildings are quaint, people are cheerful and barbershop quartets sing on the corners. Clothing is crisp and clean and perfect and not once was there ever a place like that in reality.

If people today want other cultures to be represented in this fictional, happy place then why not have men and women of varying races, religions and abilities. I probably wouldn't think anything of seeing a man in a turban selling popcorn from the cart by the entrance or having someone in a wheelchair as part of the babershop quartet. In my utopia that's just how things would be. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom