The Dark Knight Countdown

Wilt Dasney

Maybe I was thinking of something else...but I thought the Watchmen were time travelers the went back and forth through time and were the reason that all of the World's "big disputes" were settled.

For instance, they traveled back to the Civil War and brought resolution to it...etc.

I can't think of exactly who you're describing, but it sounds familiar. It's not Watchmen, though. The only "time-travel" aspect in Watchmen is lots of flashbacks to the '40s from the '80s.

Timmay

I think the simplest explanation I've ever heard of Watchmen is "What would it be like if people put on masks and capes and fought crime in the real world?"

Not just people...but people we know. Tell me you all don't know people that could fit right in to some of those characters. I mean, nobody really knows anyone like Flash or Ben Grimm. As much as the writers try to give them problems, you just can't with those larger than life characters.

You also have trouble relating to Flash and Thing, as well. You have a lot more in common with the Watchmen characters because they are just like us...they deal with crap that we do and our friends do. Some of them are messed up pretty bad as a result...or were messed up before.

But that is really only about 1/3 of the story.

Timmay

Maybe I was thinking of something else...but I thought the Watchmen were time travelers the went back and forth through time and were the reason that all of the World's "big disputes" were settled.

For instance, they traveled back to the Civil War and brought resolution to it...etc.

LOL...no wonder you had no interest in it!

Read the first two paragraphs...and nothing more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Green Lantern

Original Poster
Timmay, I remember reading in an old issue of Wizard that when Alan Moore came up with the idea for Watchmen, originally he wanted to use the Charlton Comic Book characters: Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, etc. But it was DC who said no, so Moore created the characters that are in the book.

Have you ever heard that?

Timmay

Timmay, I remember reading in an old issue of Wizard that when Alan Moore came up with the idea for Watchmen, originally he wanted to use the Charlton Comic Book characters: Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, etc. But it was DC who said no, so Moore created the characters that are in the book.

Have you ever heard that?

I don't think it was that DC told him no...I think it was a mutual agreement because Moore wanted to change the future for those characters so much that it just wasn't very feasible. I think it is pretty obvious, though, that he based the new characters off of those Charlton/DC ones.

Green Lantern

Original Poster
Yeah, I was just reading the entry on Wikipedia. It really makes an interesting backstory to the whole Watchmen history of the comics creation.

SeaBreeze

I saw the trailer and wasn't impressed...for people that have no super powers...it sure looked "over the top" with that flying space bubble thing and that bald glowing man.

To be honest, the trailer didn't impress me either. I feel like it was tailored more towards those familiar with the story because it really didn't do anything for me.

On a randomish note, did anyone else have an advertisement (prior to the previews) for TDK when they were there to see TDK? It was rather amusing and silly on the theater's part.

Wilt Dasney

On a randomish note, did anyone else have an advertisement (prior to the previews) for TDK when they were there to see TDK? It was rather amusing and silly on the theater's part.
Yeah, both showings I went to (different theaters, different towns) promoted the movie before itself. I turned to my buddy the first time and said "Is this the best use of their marketing budget?" :lol:

WDWFREAK53

To be honest, the trailer didn't impress me either. I feel like it was tailored more towards those familiar with the story because it really didn't do anything for me.

Maybe after I read it...it'll be better. I was watching it and thought that Journey to the Center of the Earth looked better.

(I kinda got that "Mystery Men" vibe from it...with space junk thrown in :lol: )

SeaBreeze

Yeah, both showings I went to (different theaters, different towns) promoted the movie before itself. I turned to my buddy the first time and said "Is this the best use of their marketing budget?" :lol:

Haha same... and it was even more amusing when they had a long advertisement for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. I was like "I think they have the wrong demographic here..."

Timmay

Well...

Tuesday - $20.9 million
5 day total - $203.75 million (fastest ever to 200 million)

I am guessing $15 million Wed and Thr each and $75 million for the weekend at the lowest.

$308 - $323 million in 10 days...:eek:

Number_6

Only other ad I had before the movie was for Half-Blood Prince.

SeaBreeze

I had Watchmen, The Spirit (a long one that I hadn't seen before), a Leonardo/Russel Crowe movie, and Bolt.

Yeah, I had those previews as well but before they even started my theater was running ads for movies. It was a bit weird, especially advertising the movie we were about to see :lol: I was hoping for a HP preview but alas, it never appeared.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom