The Dark Knight Countdown

Number_6

The Mummy will take a big chunk of those viewers away. I'm sure that the X-Files (although that was just marketed HORRIBLY) and Step Brothers combined will take a lot away from TDK's potential too.

The X-Files probably will, Step Brothers will definitely pull in the Will Ferrell fans... Everything I'm hearing for The Mummy is really bad. I know most people don't go by the critics, but it seems that everyone agrees the lack of Rachel Weisz killed the dynamic between Rick and Evie. The guy playing their son doesn't seem to be all that well liked either. And some have even said that it looked like Brendan Fraser mailed in the performance. I know I'm waiting until DVD for it at this point.

WDWFREAK53

The X-Files probably will, Step Brothers will definitely pull in the Will Ferrell fans... Everything I'm hearing for The Mummy is really bad. I know most people don't go by the critics, but it seems that everyone agrees the lack of Rachel Weisz killed the dynamic between Rick and Evie. The guy playing their son doesn't seem to be all that well liked either. And some have even said that it looked like Brendan Fraser mailed in the performance. I know I'm waiting until DVD for it at this point.

It doesn't matter what any of the critics say. This movie is being shoved down people's throats and all of the Mummy movies killed at the box office.

Shrek the 3rd wasn't good...and I'm sure the 4th one will hit #1.

SeaBreeze

It doesn't matter what any of the critics say. This movie is being shoved down people's throats and all of the Mummy movies killed at the box office.

I'm actually interested to see how this Mummy movie does. Most of the people I know that enjoyed the other two movies think this one looks terrible and don't plan on seeing it until it's on dvd.

Green Lantern

Original Poster
I thought the first Mummy movie was OK, but hated the second one. I skipped the spin off film The Scorpion King. As for this new one, it looks OK enough that I will watch it on cable, but I won't go see it in the theatre. Does anyone know why Rachel Weisz isn't in the new one?

SeaBreeze

I thought the first Mummy movie was OK, but hated the second one. I skipped the spin off film The Scorpion King. As for this new one, it looks OK enough that I will watch it on cable, but I won't go see it in the theatre. Does anyone know why Rachel Weisz isn't in the new one?

I completely agree... the first one was ok. Decent mindless entertainment. Hated the second, maybe saw half The Scorpion King on cable. That's my plan with this one as well. I read in Entertainment Weekly that the 'official' reason Rachel Weisz didn't make this one was due to being a new mom. I can't say that I think it was a bad move, career wise, though.

BTW, I think this has been one of my favorite threads. I actually feel like I'm having conversations with you all and have thoroughly enjoyed everyone's opinions, etc :wave:

WDWFREAK53

BTW, I think this has been one of my favorite threads. I actually feel like I'm having conversations with you all and have thoroughly enjoyed everyone's opinions, etc :wave:

It is nice when you can have a civilized conversation with people even if they have different opinions of your own. :wave:

Also, it's been nice to hear some of the things in the film that people caught that I missed!

imagineer boy

I don't know, I loved the first mummy movie. I thought the mummy returns was good, but not as good as the first. As for mummy 3, well, it looks like crap, but I'm going to see it anyways. At least it looks like it has some good action that will hold my attention.

BTW, Aaron Eckhart has said he would most definately return to the third batman movie if asked.

Green Lantern

Original Poster
Mummy turned out to be a lucrative franchise for Universal. Too bad it didn't work that way with Van Helsing. I loved the concept for that film, it was the execution I was let down with.

I did like Hugh Jackman cast in the lead role. I also loved his costume (though it reminded a lot of Vampire Hunter D's). Kate Beckinsale, though having a bad accent in the film, looked beautiful.

WDWFREAK53

Mummy turned out to be a lucrative franchise for Universal. Too bad it didn't work that way with Van Helsing. I loved the concept for that film, it was the execution I was let down with.

I did like Hugh Jackman cast in the lead role. I also loved his costume (though it reminded a lot of Vampire Hunter D's). Kate Beckinsale, though having a bad accent in the film, looked beautiful.

Man, I was pumped when I heard the story of Van Helsing. What a let down though.
Hmm, Christopher Nolan or Tim Burton could probably do that justice!!!

Wilt Dasney

They should go by the amount of tickets sold...not the amount of money a movie brings in. Look at WALL*E...I would say that most of those were matinee prices...and children's tickets. Now, consider if all or most of those tickets were full-priced...it probably would've made a heckuva lot more.
It's not exactly the same metric as tickets sold, but...if you want more of an apples-to-apples comparison of box office takes, you can see all-time totals adjusted for inflation.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

SeaBreeze

Man, I was pumped when I heard the story of Van Helsing. What a let down though.
Hmm, Christopher Nolan or Tim Burton could probably do that justice!!!

Agreed. I was very excited, especially with Hugh Jackman in the role, but meh. Tim Burton.. that'd be interesting. Speaking of, I wonder what he's up to these days...

This is a great thread, I am enjoying it as well. Same goes for the Watchmen thread and the Comic Book one.
:( I'm utterly clueless about the Watchmen, other than the fact that they showed up Friday in my mailbox on the cover of Entertainment Weekly and I went 'huh?'

BTW, Aaron Eckhart has said he would most definately return to the third batman movie if asked.
That's definitely good to hear. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his character showed up again because like others, I'm not entirely convinced he's gone. They certainly left that open for possibilities.

Green Lantern

Original Poster
Tim Burton is up to two projects with Disney currently. One is doing Alice in Wonderland, and the other is making a film out of his short Frankenweenie (which he made back in his animator days at Disney).

Rumor has it he is also working on a Dark Shadows adaptation with Johnny Depp.

As for Watchmen, we have a thread going just for it over here on Chit Chat. I always have a hard time describing this comic to those who don't know about it, so I will leave that for Timmay, or check out the Watchmen thread to learn.

Wilt Dasney

I think the simplest explanation I've ever heard of Watchmen is "What would it be like if people put on masks and capes and fought crime in the real world?"

There's much, much more to it, but if that premise interests you at all, you should check it out. (You should check it out anyway, really. It's amazing.)

EpcotServo

I think the simplest explanation I've ever heard of Watchmen is "What would it be like if people put on masks and capes and fought crime in the real world?"

There's much, much more to it, but if that premise interests you at all, you should check it out. (You should check it out anyway, really. It's amazing.)

Yeah, it's that.

But just not for kids.
:lol::D

SeaBreeze

Tim Burton is up to two projects with Disney currently. One is doing Alice in Wonderland, and the other is making a film out of his short Frankenweenie (which he made back in his animator days at Disney).

Oh yeah, I do recall hearing about Alice in Wonderland... and being uber creeped out by thought of Burton's version :lol: Even the Disney animated version weirded me out some lol. I'm sure I'll go see Burton's though, just to see his spin on it.

And I think I'll putter my way over to the Watchmen thread. I don't need to be getting too much research done today, do I? :animwink:

imagineer boy

Agreed. I was very excited, especially with Hugh Jackman in the role, but meh. Tim Burton.. that'd be interesting. Speaking of, I wonder what he's up to these days....

Aw, that would have been amazing if Tim Burton directed Van Helsing. What a shame... it had so much potential.

WDWFREAK53

Maybe I was thinking of something else...but I thought the Watchmen were time travelers the went back and forth through time and were the reason that all of the World's "big disputes" were settled.

For instance, they traveled back to the Civil War and brought resolution to it...etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom