The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

That statement is true of everyone except for Yankees fans.
I dream of the good old days when they practically gave the pennant to the Yankees at the beginning of the season. The other teams in the World Series came into it knowing they were going to leave as losers. I feel sorry for those that missed the days of Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard, Phil Rizzuto and so on. All lorded over by the one and only Casey Stengel. (sigh!)

John park hopper

Having grown up on LI NY I had all those baseball cards Mantle, Berra etc left for the service at 18yrs old in 68 Mom moved from NY to FL while I was gone.and all my baseball cards were lost --cry cry cry. Was a Dodgers fan until they abandoned Brooklyn then reluctantly became a Yankees fan. Do you remember flipping cards and the game closest to the wall?

Goofyernmost

Having grown up on LI NY I had all those baseball cards Mantle, Berra etc left for the service at 18yrs old in 68 Mom moved from NY to FL while I was gone.and all my baseball cards were lost --cry cry cry. Was a Dodgers fan until they abandoned Brooklyn then reluctantly became a Yankees fan. Do you remember flipping cards and the game closest to the wall?
Even sadder, I know for a fact that I used at least one Mickey Mantle rookie, baseball card as a motor sound in the spokes of my bike. I so long for a way back machine so I can exchange those motors for my Mothers Canasta cards. I might have been in trouble, but I would have had a few more bucks in the bank. 😭🤬😭

StarWarsGirl

I dream of the good old days when they practically gave the pennant to the Yankees at the beginning of the season. The other teams in the World Series came into it knowing they were going to leave as losers. I feel sorry for those that missed the days of Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard, Phil Rizzuto and so on. All lorded over by the one and only Casey Stengel. (sigh!)
Yogi Berra had some great phrases. We'll be watching game and my dad will start predicting how it's going to go and I'll tell him, "It ain't over til it's over!" 😂

This is the first decade since 1910 that the Yankees won't win a pennant. I feel so sorry for them.

Not

MouseDreaming

I grew up in a Brooklyn Dodger home, myself. After the Dodgers left, my dad couldn't bring himself to root for those pinstripes. Honestly, until we moved to WI, and my dad had business in Chicago, I never heard him talk much about baseball, or watch a game. Then we found out he would finish his business calls as early as he could if the Cubs were playing. 1:20 in the bleachers, before night games at Wrigley. It reminded him of his younger days. Except, when he was younger, he never had the money for a ticket.

MySmallWorldof4

I was a Met fan growing up. Didn't grow up far from Shea Stadium. I remember being about 5 and walking from an apartment we lived in to the stadium. I thought it was the coolest thing to watch the pitchers warming up through the fence. They would come and say hello. My favorite was Tom Seaver.

Cesar R M

Trying to recall the last time I stayed in a WDW-owned hotel. It's at least 6 or more years at this point. Anyway, I'm bringing this up because yesterday in the mail, I got a 30% off pin code thingie, for people who hadn't stayed in their hotels for some time. First time I ever got anything like that. 🤔 (And no, no trip planned.)
People have been reporting that the parks have been pretty empty lately o_o
Perhaps they NEED to bring people thus mass offer 30%'s ?

MySmallWorldof4

People have been reporting that the parks have been pretty empty lately o_o
Perhaps they NEED to bring people thus mass offer 30%'s ?
Possibly. The regular room discount offers the last couple of years have not been 30%. I remember seeing 20 or 25% off for deluxe. Of course, their rooms are overpriced, so they are probably still profiting with the discounted room offers. I think some also got turned off by the nickle and diming of parking fees. Uni charged us $17 a night for parking our car. It didn't bother us because the room with the parking fee was still below $200 a night.

Goofyernmost

I was a Met fan growing up. Didn't grow up far from Shea Stadium. I remember being about 5 and walking from an apartment we lived in to the stadium. I thought it was the coolest thing to watch the pitchers warming up through the fence. They would come and say hello. My favorite was Tom Seaver.
I was eventually a Met's fan for the early years when they couldn't win if the other team didn't show up. I got my reward on that October day in 1969. I watched the final game on a small black and white TV in a very cheap hotel in downtown San Francisco. It's a long story how I got to be there, but suffice it to say the day after they won I was on a plane to Vietnam. So good and bad memories about that. Over the next few years I lost interest in the game and to this day do not follow it or care who is playing at all. I live only twenty miles from the Durham Bull's and have only gone to one game just to see the bull snort out smoke.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Even sadder, I know for a fact that I used at least one Mickey Mantle rookie, baseball card as a motor sound in the spokes of my bike. I so long for a way back machine so I can exchange those motors for my Mothers Canasta cards. I might have been in trouble, but I would have had a few more bucks in the bank. 😭🤬😭

Never got into baseball, but I do recall the baseball cards that my 2 brothers bought. Sometimes, they would give me the bubble gum that was inside the package. :hungry: That was all I cared about! :joyfull: (As for the cards, they kept those or traded with their buddies.) We grew up in MA, so it was a different team from yours, John.

Goofyernmost

Never got into baseball, but I do recall the baseball cards that my 2 brothers bought. Sometimes, they would give me the bubble gum that was inside the package. :hungry: That was all I cared about! :joyfull: (As for the cards, they kept those or traded with their buddies.) We grew up in MA, so it was a different team from yours, John.
My guess would be the Red Socks. Am I correct? They won almost as much as the Mets did back then. 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom