The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

One of my sil’s worked in the food industry. She worked for Sodexo for a while and said it was horrible. She was a manager and quit to work for Jersey Mike’s. She was supposed to be trained to be a manager but because of her background she noticed they were not taking food safety seriously and called them on it. She ended up losing the job. They said she was too slow. She said she would never get food from them. Now she works at a chain preschool. The food industry is tough. She doesn’t have Brian’s credentials though. Has he tried other hotels, restaurants? I guess he is going through Indeed.

MouseDreaming

I honestly don’t know what to do, especially anything that would have a practical and positive result.

Florida is a right to work state. That means, AFAIK, nobody has to have a reason for firing you.

However, there are exceptions, such as the firing is still subject to laws of discrimination re: race, faith, etc.

There’s not an obvious or easily provable thing here, from what I can tell.

I did suggest talking to one of those lawyers who only gets paid if you win, if that’s even applicable here, because they won’t take a case unless they think there’s a chance of winning.

The guy who owns the football team (Ross) is getting negative press lately for political reasons, but that’s not who he works for. He works for the company that runs all the food and beverage.

I’d like to publicly shame them for firing a diabetic who dared ask for health insurance. But I’m no “influencer.”

Honestly, he just wants a steady job with benefits.

His degree is in nutrition. His experience is in restaurants and large concessions (convention centers, stadiums.) (Yes, I’ve thought about WDW if we ever wanted to move lol.)

I will be the first to critique or criticize Brian. But his work ethic is impeccable - to his detriment. He always does extra. It never pays off. From many conversations, i know that he knows the food service industry as well as i know retail. As far as personality goes, I’m the one from Jersey with “a mouth.” He is a respectful, Southern guy and employees from several jobs ago still love him and still keep in touch. They’ve followed him from job to job.

He was just freaking blind for two months and all he wanted to do was go back to work and show that 38 years of type 1 diabetes doesn’t mean he can’t do what he wants to do.

He is really down right now, to the point he doesn’t even want to discuss it much, he’s just filling out online applications like mad - which hardly ever leads to anything. The days when you could just walk into a place and ask if they’re hiring are long gone.

And we’re both tired of falling into the hole again, like would happen every year after football, and have months of digging out when he’d be back to work, with all the months of stress and odd jobs in-between.

/venting
I can understand Brian being in a dark place, right now. Please, take notes for him, so if he does consult an attorney, he isn't playing the memory game. When he gets to the angry phase after being in shock, he might appreciate it.

With the statement from the catering guy, I am pretty sure you have a good case. A good attorney will also look to see if there is a pattern. Brian may not be the only one. Also, any past performance reviews he might have, may also be useful.

I found this to start
https://employment.findlaw.com/losing-a-job/do-i-need-a-wrongful-termination-lawyer.html The stuff for at will employ is particularly interesting.

And honestly, what an #%^*#%^ for dropping that comment to someone, so it would get back to Brian. I mean, seriously, salt in the wound.

MySmallWorldof4

My first Impossible was a slider at WDW. I tried Beyond when they were BOGO at Publix. Both really good, if you like meat burgers.

I also enjoy patties that are not trying to be meat. Just a different thing.

They now have an Impossible Whopper at Burger King for $5.99. It’s worth it if you want to try one quickly. OTOH, if your goal is routine healthy eating, it’s probably the unhealthiest version of a meatless burger. I’d recommend ordering with no mayo to reduce a ton of fat.
I will take a bean over those burgers.

Tony the Tigger

How about reinventing himself and get out of these 2 industries.... is there anything else he might want to try?

A few years ago he was on a teaching kick, maybe starting as a sub, etc.

A few days ago, he was talking about starting a cleaning business. Hey, whatever works.

The thing is, he needs any job/income while getting any new thing going. We’re not in a position to wait 3 months for something to take off.

I wonder about catering. Mentioned it last night. (In fact, the woman who cleaned my teeth misunderstood me yesterday and offered to hire him to do a housewarming party for her son lol.)

You all know spouses. Can’t tell ‘em what to do. Maybe plant a seed and it takes root. I suggested it. Not pushing.

May mention it one more time 🤣

StarWarsGirl

I got the email yesterday. It is over $300, so currently it's a nope.
Wow!

I jokingly said to my mom that I could get it for their anniversary (which is Labor Day). She's horrible with Legos or anything Lego-Like, so I always give her a hard time about it. 😆

I'm not cruel, though, I actually did get them both something. They're shipping soon; I'm hoping they get here before I leave for WDW. If it doesn't, the shipment is in their name so they'll find it when they get home. If it does, I'm hiding it somewhere in the house and then texting them where to find it (since I won't be home).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom