The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Actually, landscapers do hire a bunch of high school teens in the summer. That is one industry that I have noticed this. Even the city where I live, hires kids to help with the landscaping in the parks, etc. :)

Really? Not the norm. Very Different than in Northern Illinois. Most of our Landscapers are here on temporary short term H2B Visas for unskilled labor. Landscaping, agriculture, resorts.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/20/16003254/trump-h2b-visa-program

Rista1313

Minnie, this is in no way a rant against you, just so you know...I’ve worked with people less than half my age that are no longer at the firm for good reason...just a follow-up from a parent of 3 Millennials their mother and I are proud of...!!!!! :happy:

Yea, the “Millennial” crap gets old after a while, especially when we’ve raised 3 wonderful, beautiful children into adulthood to be otherwise than what they are, generally, these days, thought of, and even our special needs DS is workin’ his rear off at the Salvation Army.
I’m just gonna’ go with the proper raising of our children that we did, and how close we are as a family...sorry sooo many can’t see the value many of us parents of Millennials have instilled in them.
Again, our DS works his rear off. Both our DDs are unpaid on the BoD of a pediatric cancer foundation, youngest is still a teacher at an inclusive Pre-K, and oldest is staying home with our granddaughter for now until she is old enough to go back with mommy to start teaching again at her old school...!!! :)
I’m gonna’ go with we did a pretty damn good job, under any circumstances....!!!!! :happy:

I believe the older millennial aren't as bad as the younger ones, I'm guessing your kids are older. My husbands kids are millennial and boy are they pieces of work. My husband only got to raise them part time in their informative years. Trying to instill hard work in them was impossible with screens in their face all the time. I actually remember one weekend I made them go outside, and they didn't know what to do with themselves, they sat on the stoop and whined.

But you are right.... lumping them in one category isn't exactly correct either.

I remind my husband all the time, that our parents thought we were idiots too, and I think we are pretty ok.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I can tell you that it has been cooler than usually at times in the part of Wisconsin I'm from before the mini heat wave hit for the thunderstorm cooled down the weather.

The weather is nice right now and hopefully it stays for the Wisconsin State Fair. The state Fair is big event for the state. The State Fair is going to start August 1st and ends August 11th.

Yeah we usually get a bucket of cookies too. Typically we eat enough so we can put the cover on and then take the rest home. Sweet Martha is the stand, they sell their dough in grocery stores and maybe online.

Also some of the best deep fried cheese curds I’ve ever had are at the MN Fair. We always get an order to eat there and an order to take home. When they are warmed up in the oven they still taste good.

You two out in the Midwest have the best state fairs. I don't think the ones out here are nearly as good. Also the crowds are nuts -- traffic jams, etc., so I stopped going to ones in my state years ago. Too much aggravation. :(

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Really? Not the norm. Very Different than in Northern Illinois. Most of our Landscapers are here on temporary short term H2B Visas for unskilled labor. Landscaping, agriculture, resorts.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/20/16003254/trump-h2b-visa-program

From what I've seen (in our area), it is a mixture of people -- some high school and college students for summer help, as well as various other indivduals looking for seasonal landscaping work. Haven't noticed any one group dominating the mix.

SteveBrickNJ

I'm glad you got to enjoy 61 degrees. Hang in there -- after another month or so of yucky summer, nice cooler temps will be back again. :inlove:
Speaking of weather, I have not had favorable weather to cut my grass in quite awhile. As everyone knows for many days it was too hot. Yesterday was lovely but the on and off rain made the grass too wet. Today is the day! :cool:💪
Gonna eat breakfast...shave..then get goin'!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Minnie, this is in no way a rant against you, just so you know...I’ve worked with people less than half my age that are no longer at the firm for good reason...just a follow-up from a parent of 3 Millennials their mother and I are proud of...!!!!! :happy:

Yea, the “Millennial” crap gets old after a while, especially when we’ve raised 3 wonderful, beautiful children into adulthood to be otherwise than what they are, generally, these days, thought of, and even our special needs DS is workin’ his rear off at the Salvation Army.
I’m just gonna’ go with the proper raising of our children that we did, and how close we are as a family...sorry sooo many can’t see the value many of us parents of Millennials have instilled in them.
Again, our DS works his rear off. Both our DDs are unpaid on the BoD of a pediatric cancer foundation, youngest is still a teacher at an inclusive Pre-K, and oldest is staying home with our granddaughter for now until she is old enough to go back with mommy to start teaching again at her old school...!!! :)
I’m gonna’ go with we did a pretty damn good job, under any circumstances....!!!!! :happy:

I think people are starting to realize that it's not that they don't want to work, it's that they don't want to work the same way we do. Which makes sense because technology has changed everything. For example though, we have flex schedules at work, so everyone can choose their own 40 hours as long as their boss agrees to it. Almost everyone older than a millennial works a straight shift. My in between generation works a lot of AWE, which is work from home. So we'll work four days in the office, and one day at home. But the young ones, they get creative. They work from coffee shops or other cities sometimes even.

Which is neat to see because we've been able to reduce our necessary desk space by almost 50% in some areas because when they do come in the office they can share transient desks.

They work. They just work differently.

MySmallWorldof4

What I hear when people talk sports.
View attachment 392621
I can watch pretty much any sport and talk about except for soccer and basketball. Sorry @21stamps and @Cesar R M . I always wanted to try and watch soccer but just cannot. I enjoyed playing it with friends, just like I enjoyed playing basketball. I just cannot watch them. I used to get so excited watching the NY Mets as a kid, then I discovered ice hockey and aside from playoffs, baseball is boring to watch. My dh appreciates that I can follow sports on tv when he watches. He also appreciates that I can throw a spiral. (Football term Rista.)😉

MySmallWorldof4

I think people are starting to realize that it's not that they don't want to work, it's that they don't want to work the same way we do. Which makes sense because technology has changed everything. For example though, we have flex schedules at work, so everyone can choose their own 40 hours as long as their boss agrees to it. Almost everyone older than a millennial works a straight shift. My in between generation works a lot of AWE, which is work from home. So we'll work four days in the office, and one day at home. But the young ones, they get creative. They work from coffee shops or other cities sometimes even.

Which is neat to see because we've been able to reduce our necessary desk space by almost 50% in some areas because when they do come in the office they can share transient desks.

They work. They just work differently.
It could cut overhead costs if most worked from home. Businesses would be able to get away with smaller work spaces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom