The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
It’s strange that I’ve never had them before. That stretch of mulch and plants is about 15feet long, 4 ft wide .. and they’re only in 1 small area. I’m getting most of them by the root, will they come back? The mulch in that area looks horrible now.
Yes they come back unfortunately. Mostly a nuisance. Just keep pulling them up by the roots. You may have to re-mulch. I usually do by the time I get them all pulled.

MySmallWorldof4

I have weeds growing in an area of mulch.. for the first time. Anyone seen these before? How did they just pop up out of nowhere?

View attachment 392668
View attachment 392669

This is what they’re growing around, at first I just thought the plant was getting bigger..

View attachment 392670
View attachment 392672
View attachment 392671
Looks like a grass to me. We get so many weeds no matter how much mulch we put. We have the same weeds. I took the weed wacker to them a couple of weeks ago. They are too hard to pull out and I don't want to use weed killer. We also get these nasty weeds that have thorns on them. Never saw them before we moved here 8 years ago. My sil said she started to get them in Jersey last year. Now my step father complained about them this year in NY.

MySmallWorldof4

Looks like a grass to me. We get so many weeds no matter how much mulch we put. We have the same weeds. I took the weed wacker to them a couple of weeks ago. They are too hard to pull out and I don't want to use weed killer. We also get these nasty weeds that have thorns on them. Never saw them before we moved here 8 years ago. My sil said she started to get them in Jersey last year. Now my step father complained about them this year in NY.
They look like this.

21stamps

Oh that’s frustrating! Do they grow all over the yard or only in your flower areas?
Doesn’t look like they’d be fun to step in if barefoot 😬

Yes they come back unfortunately. Mostly a nuisance. Just keep pulling them up by the roots. You may have to re-mulch. I usually do by the time I get them all pulled.

Some are too small to grab by the roots.. I ripped the as best as I could. My yard looks so horrible right now. I wanted to write such a bad review for the tree removal company, but I didn’t as they were recommended by someone in my parish. They used a different color grass than what was in the rest of my yard, it looks so bad and is incredibly bumpy now. (They removed 2 trees in the back, 1 in the front)

I’m waiting til Fall or early spring and having the whole backyard leveled and grass redone to get it back to normal. I just couldn’t stand the thought of doing it in summer. We used the back yard constantly, T plays soccer and hits golf balls daily out there. It’s going to be a major mess and an unforeseen expense on top of the obscene tree removal expenses.

21stamps

My backyard is 0.7 acres. I haven’t even looked up what it’s going to cost to level and do all new grass in the entire thing. I don’t want to know until I do it.
Like ripping a bandaid off. Lol.

Has anyone done this before? Would you recommend fall or spring? I’m hoping that it will look fine and I won’t have to do the front as well.

93boomer

Premium Member
Oh that’s frustrating! Do they grow all over the yard or only in your flower areas?

Some are too small to grab by the roots.. I ripped the as best as I could. My yard looks so horrible right now. I wanted to write such a bad review for the tree removal company, but I didn’t as they were recommended by someone in my parish. They used a different color grass than what was in the rest of my yard, it looks so bad and is incredibly bumpy now. (They removed 2 trees in the back, 1 in the front)

I’m waiting til Fall or early spring and having the whole backyard leveled and grass redone to get it back to normal. I just couldn’t stand the thought of doing it in summer. We used the back yard constantly, T plays soccer and hits golf balls daily out there. It’s going to be a major mess and an unforeseen expense on top of the obscene tree removal expenses.
Oh that’s awful that they didn’t do better. We are re-doing sections of our yard a little at a time. It’s a pain but the wild violets, strawberries, and weeds are taking over the grass. This lot used to have a barn and pasture on it. It’s hard to keep a yard nice sometimes.
Fall or Spring is a good time to think about your yard. The air is cooler so the grass will not be stressed and come up quicker and healthier.

donaldtoo

I have weeds growing in an area of mulch.. for the first time. Anyone seen these before? How did they just pop up out of nowhere?

View attachment 392668
View attachment 392669

This is what they’re growing around, at first I just thought the plant was getting bigger..

View attachment 392670
View attachment 392672
View attachment 392671

Oh my...
I'd be careful...!!!!!!! :oops:

See the source image

:D:hilarious:;)

21stamps

Oh that’s awful that they didn’t do better. We are re-doing sections of our yard a little at a time. It’s a pain but the wild violets, strawberries, and weeds are taking over the grass. This lot used to have a barn and pasture on it. It’s hard to keep a yard nice sometimes.
Fall or Spring is a good time to think about your yard. The air is cooler so the grass will not be stressed and come up quicker and healthier.

You may not feel the same, but.. to me wild strawberries and violets sound very pretty!

I’m going to have to do sod, is that what you’re doing? There’s too many stupid critters and deer that eat the grass seed. (They have also taken every single one of my tomato’s this year). There’s a side area that I’ll have to do, but I’m really hoping it will be contained to that area and the back. The stupid ridges from the huge equipment is of big importance to correct, that will have to be done first. I think it’s called “rolling out” (I’m not a lawn expert at all lol)
I’m always scared that T or a neighbor kid will turn an ankle while playing out there. He really only uses a portion of the yard now.

MySmallWorldof4

I have seen them mostly in our planting beds. I know they have been in the grass. DH usually finds them.:oops: He gets them out with a golf club by whacking at them at root level and then they pop out.

MySmallWorldof4

You may not feel the same, but.. to me wild strawberries and violets sound very pretty!

I’m going to have to do sod, is that what you’re doing? There’s too many stupid critters and deer that eat the grass seed. (They have also taken every single one of my tomato’s this year). There’s a side area that I’ll have to do, but I’m really hoping it will be contained to that area and the back. The stupid ridges from the huge equipment is of big importance to correct, that will have to be done first. I think it’s called “rolling out” (I’m not a lawn expert at all lol)
I’m always scared that T or a neighbor kid will turn an ankle while playing out there. He really only uses a portion of the yard now.
Our backyard is kind of like that. Dh mentioned getting it rolled and redone, but I don't really think it is worth it. Half the backyard is on a downslope. We have .80 of an acre so it would be an arm and a leg. I would rather put money into something else. We were told that developers will steal all the topsoil when they build a development and leave crummy soil. They don't care if the grassy areas are not flat either.

21stamps

Our backyard is kind of like that. Dh mentioned getting it rolled and redone, but I don't really think it is worth it. Half the backyard is on a downslope. We have .80 of an acre so it would be an arm and a leg. I would rather put money into something else. We were told that developers will steal all the topsoil when they build a development and leave crummy soil. They don't care if the grassy areas are not flat either.

If we didn’t spend so much time playing sports out there then I wouldn’t worry about the ridges. It makes me so sad because the yard used to be really pretty, at least to me.
T and friends are always playing soccer baseball, laser tag or frisbee etc.. he sets his soccer cones up for drills and has a portable goal. I’d hate for him or why kid to suffer an injury due to our stupid yard.

On a positive note- I no longer have acorns to deal with! 🤣

MySmallWorldof4

If we didn’t spend so much time playing sports out there then I wouldn’t worry about the ridges. It makes me so sad because the yard used to be really pretty, at least to me.
T and friends are always playing soccer baseball, laser tag or frisbee etc.. he sets his soccer cones up for drills and has a portable goal. I’d hate for him or why kid to suffer an injury due to our stupid yard.
It makes sense for you.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My backyard is 0.7 acres. I haven’t even looked up what it’s going to cost to level and do all new grass in the entire thing. I don’t want to know until I do it.
Like ripping a bandaid off. Lol.

Has anyone done this before? Would you recommend fall or spring? I’m hoping that it will look fine and I won’t have to do the front as well.

I'm a suburban hippie. My yard is mostly clovers and wild strawberries and violets. There's still a lot of grass in it, but this groundcover feeds more bees and bunnies. We play in it just like we would if it were all grass. Plus bonus points: I only have to mow around once every two weeks because it just doesn't grow as fast as grass.

21stamps

I'm a suburban hippie. My yard is mostly clovers and wild strawberries and violets. There's still a lot of grass in it, but this groundcover feeds more bees and bunnies. We play in it just like we would if it were all grass. Plus bonus points: I only have to mow around once every two weeks because it just doesn't grow as fast as grass.

I’ve seen yards like that before, they’re really pretty and fantastical imo! A cousin of mine used to have a historic house, their back yard was similar to what you describe, and they had large rose bushes and a rose archway.. a wooden swing too. I always thought it looked so magical. Especially at twilight time.

Unfortunately, it’s not at all practical for us. I do have an overgrown section on top of a back hill, about 8 feet deep. I’m not touching it, never have. That can stay overgrown..and I’m sure who ever has the house next will end up finding about 30 golf balls in there. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom