The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

*Sigh* No they wouldn't be and, at least when I was in school, they showed us raw footage from the time so we'd get more of what was going on. We watched lots of footage from the world wars. Oh, and the propoganda from the US. Including the Donald Duck as a Nazi one. My teachers sure loved it when YouTube was unblocked for them. We also had an entire history class on "We didn't start the Fire". My 11th grade history teacher was awesome.

Though I still fail to see how anyone though that duck and cover and fallout shelters would help if there were a nuclear attack. If there were a nuclear attack, if not killed by the initial blast, they'd die from the aftereffects, so...
I guess it was better then just sitting there waiting to die. Also, I don't think that they had the understanding about just how much radiation would be damaging. They were just concentrating on the physical damage to buildings and having a roof fall in on you. Still would have been dead but kids don't think of that. I know I didn't.

I think I mentioned that I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY where the largest SAC airbase was located. We had a massive number of Nuclear armed B-52's stationed there. We were also the first direct line SAC Air Force Base for missiles launched over the north pole. Any missiles sent would have likely landed in our back yard, literally. A study made during the later part of the Cold War figured that P'burgh would have been the first city to become airborne. Even Lake Champlain would have been evaporated, so we didn't really bother with hiding under our desks or building fallout shelters. All the raw footage in the world doesn't equal the regular everyday anxiety that we experienced after the war, both WWII and Korea. Add on to that experiencing an actual war in South East Asia may go a long way in explaining why I am so anti-war or against war posturing for political gain that I am. War is not a video game and it takes very little to get right in the middle of one. I wish we had learned from that stuff, but, we have not. Real people die in those things, 55,000 in Vietnam alone. One of those killed may have been the one to discover the cure for cancer but never got the chance to try.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

*Sigh* No they wouldn't be and, at least when I was in school, they showed us raw footage from the time so we'd get more of what was going on. We watched lots of footage from the world wars. Oh, and the propoganda from the US. Including the Donald Duck as a Nazi one. My teachers sure loved it when YouTube was unblocked for them. We also had an entire history class on "We didn't start the Fire". My 11th grade history teacher was awesome.

Though I still fail to see how anyone though that duck and cover and fallout shelters would help if there were a nuclear attack. If there were a nuclear attack, if not killed by the initial blast, they'd die from the aftereffects, so...
Your class had more on war footage than I did in school and did not show propaganda. The propaganda you mentioned would've been some I would've been interested in during my teenage years. When I was a student, I was big history bluff. I a learned lot about history from tv programs, and read material not in school text books.

Youtube did not exist when I was in High School. Facebook and my space didn't exist yet either. The High school I went to didn't have Internet before I was a senior in high school. The only type of media showed in classrooms in my era were VHS tapes. Some classes had computers, but you are talking Apple II computers or NEC Computers before being replaced during my Junior year at the high school I went to. History classes in my era did not access to computers at all.

The only World war 2 information in history class were in text books, but Can't remember if there was on VHS video on WWII. I also had to read Anne Frank's diary in school in a class that didn't teach history. I got most of my WWII information outside of school by TV and encyclopedias.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I went to Home Depot and bought a HEPA filter. I need it 1. Because of the renovation and 2. Because I probably need it anyway. They were so nice at Home Depot. I mentioned I have asthma and they carried the filter to the checkout and out to my car. I guess it helped that I don't sound too good.

Anyway, so I'm running the filter wherever I happen to be in the house (literally, I carry the thing from room to room) and our contractor is running a HEPA vacuum in here tomorrow, and my grandma is coming to clean. Yes, this sounds weird, but she used to clean houses for a living so I asked her to come clean and told her I'd pay her. I think she likes it; I've noticed she'll start randomly cleaning. I think she's a neat freak and gets satisfaction from it.

Anyway, Belle likes the HEPA filter. Can't figure this one out.
20190625_200844.jpg

donaldtoo

OK... I may be totally late on this as I've been off the week, but our saying here is, "beans beans the MUSICAL fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, and that's what makes beans so ideal."

Missed this post...!!! :facepalm:
As I posted way back there somewhere, I’ve always heard “musical fruit” because of the “toot”...!!!!! :hilarious:

donaldtoo

That is a good thought, but, most of the people that actually had bad memories of that are now gone and a couple of generations that now have a turn in making decisions like that do not have the deep experience to understand the significance of saving it. Partially why the "deniers" are so vocal these days and evil can be forgotten because it was never experienced by them before. Kind of explains how unconcerned the population seems about things that should be sending out alarms.

It’s the classic...
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” ~ George Santayana

donaldtoo

What you say is sad, but I have to agree with you. I can hope though that we can learn from the past. When I was a kid back in the 70's, there was a show on tv, can't remember the channel, but there was no cable then. It was a documentary about WWII and I remember watching it, and just being shocked at what I saw. Never forgot those images even though I never lived it. Maybe since we have actual footage of such things, it should be part of a high school or middle school curriculum on world history.

I started reading books about WWII when I was about 8 or 9. I had no immediate relatives that were ever in the war, but, for some reason, the whole world, essentially, being at war during that time intrigued me.
I also read about other events leading up to it such as the Nánjīng Massacre, the Spanish Civil War, etc.
But, my main “studying”, on my own, was from the time of the Nazi Blitzkrieg on Poland on Sept. 1st, 1939, to the unconditional surrender of the Japanese aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay on Sept. 2nd, 1945.
I’ve read and watched about so much of it, including dragging body parts away on an aircraft carrier that were left after a kamikaze attack, to the stench and the flys with all the bloated corpses of the Pacific Island hopping campaign, to the liberation, all too late for so many, of the Nazi concentration camps, and emaciated corpses being piled up like cord wood, and everything in between. Such unimaginable, unbelievable atrocities.
But, unfortunately, and as we all know, similar attrocities continue around the world to this day, and as I post, although not in a “world war” situation...at this time.
I, actually, also had up to WWII history curriculum in both JH in No Cal, and HS in Texas.
Sorry to, maybe, bring the thread down a bit, but, it was already being discussed, so I thought I’d throw my 2 cents worth in as well.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I went to Home Depot and bought a HEPA filter. I need it 1. Because of the renovation and 2. Because I probably need it anyway. They were so nice at Home Depot. I mentioned I have asthma and they carried the filter to the checkout and out to my car. I guess it helped that I don't sound too good.

Anyway, so I'm running the filter wherever I happen to be in the house (literally, I carry the thing from room to room) and our contractor is running a HEPA vacuum in here tomorrow, and my grandma is coming to clean. Yes, this sounds weird, but she used to clean houses for a living so I asked her to come clean and told her I'd pay her. I think she likes it; I've noticed she'll start randomly cleaning. I think she's a neat freak and gets satisfaction from it.

Anyway, Belle likes the HEPA filter. Can't figure this one out.
View attachment 384067
How very sweet she's watching out for your health

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom