The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

I don't know for sure to be honest. I think that has a lot to do with the general decline of Malls, but, about 8 miles up the road in Raleigh is a giant mall and not a single store is empty there, including the Disney Store. Sears, JC Penney and Macys is alive and well there. When this shopping complex was originally built it had acres and acres of space and brick and mortar locations. Even the ring around it that were considered just outside stores are nothing but cement slabs now. Out of 20 or so external locations only about 5 are still there. One of the rumors is that they are going to tear down the mall and make it a "strip mall" which is going backward by about 40 years. I think it will be leveled and it will become a giant apartment complex.

We have had a mall go from and old abandonish mall into an "outside" mall. I thought I would hate it, but to be honest, I like it much better. I have another declined mall right by the house that I wish they would do the same thing to.

StarWarsGirl

I'm sure no one cares and I would be concerned if you were, but, J.C. Penney's one of the 5 original anchor stores in our local mall is going out of business. They are following Macy's and Sears out. Plus side note is I got a $60.00 swing waffle maker for $20.00. The other bad news is 8 years ago when I moved here it was a full mall. All kinds of brand names in there. Today out of 81 possible store fronts, 44 are gone or on the way out the door. It is really sad to watch a mall die, but, it is just barely on life support now. Go back to whatever we were talking about before I gave you this important news flash.
We have at least three malls here that are still doing well. I just went to one a few weeks ago. The parking garage was mostly full.

I think what helps is that there's more than just stores in them. There's several restaurants in the one I frequent, there's spas, there's banks, there's a Starbucks and other coffee shops, there's hair and nail salons, there's even a couple of the chain eye doctor places. The other one I frequent has a Dave and Buster's as well as hair and nail salons and restaurants. Aside from Sears, the department stores are all still going strong. You rarely see empty space in either one.

I think it also helps that even though you're inside, there's a lot of natural light during the day. I've had to wear sunglasses inside the mall before because it's just as bright as outside.

donaldtoo

More stuck in Tiger Traffic pics...notice the southbound lanes are pretty clear as they are just south of the Austin Country Club, and the northbound lanes do same once past the venue...

Scenic overlook of downtown with Capitol dome in yellow circle...!

Indian Paintbrush and Bluebonnets in the median...! :inlove:

A coupla’ shots of the valley to the west...!

Fancy convenience store in one of the more affluent areas of town...even the gas pumps have a tiled roof over them...!!!!! :hilarious:

Party boats on the lake next to the tournament...!

The cliff on the north side of the lake next to the bridge...!

Blurry Pink Evening Primrose in the median...!!!!! :hilarious:

And finally, my last pic after finally gettin’ north of the venue and free of Tiger Traffic...a BAF (Big A$$ Flag)...!!!!! :hilarious:
For context of scale, check out the cars on the ramp that just drove underneath it...!!! ;):)

donaldtoo

I want to work in the costume department

I wanted to be an Imagineer for a while, but, that began in my mid 40’s when I started working for the Disney Store, so the window had pretty much closed by then in that regard. Although, I still wrote down and sketched some ideas that I have stashed away.
But, I also went on the CM HUB one time and found an opening for a job description at WDW that was very intriguing.
Essentially, you would be like a Park ambassador, walking around the park all shift, observing, assisting guests with info, random Magical deeds, etc.
As I’m very personable working with people, it just sounded like so much fun...!!! :)
But, alas...that was also about the same time the firm hired me back full time and I was only working at the Disney Store on the weekends.
So, I couldn’t even remotely entertain relocating us all to Central Florida to make a pittance compared to what the firm was paying me...!!!!! :greedy::hilarious:;):)
But, it just sounded like such a fun dream position...just making your way around a Park all day doing your best to make sure the Magic was happening for as many guests as possible, as well as yourself making as much Magic as possible happen for them...!!!!! :happy:

Cesar R M

I wanted to be an Imagineer for a while, but, that began in my mid 40’s when I started working for the Disney Store, so the window had pretty much closed by then in that regard. Although, I still wrote down and sketched some ideas that I have stashed away.
But, I also went on the CM HUB one time and found an opening for a job description at WDW that was very intriguing.
Essentially, you would be like a Park ambassador, walking around the park all shift, observing, assisting guests with info, random Magical deeds, etc.
As I’m very personable working with people, it just sounded like so much fun...!!! :)
But, alas...that was also about the same time the firm hired me back full time and I was only working at the Disney Store on the weekends.
So, I couldn’t even remotely entertain relocating us all to Central Florida to make a pittance compared to what the firm was paying me...!!!!! :greedy::hilarious:;):)
But, it just sounded like such a fun dream position...just making your way around a Park all day doing your best to make sure the Magic was happening for as many guests as possible, as well as yourself making as much Magic as possible happen for them...!!!!! :happy:
And you couldnt work remotely while being in Orlando for a few shifts as Mayor or Greeter?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Fancy convenience store in one of the more affluent areas of town...even the gas pumps have a tiled roof over them...!!!!! :hilarious:

Yup, that's a purty convenience store! ;) The ones in my area are all "boxes" with bright colors and hideous writing/signs all over them. "C'mon inside for today's special on 2-liter Coke!"

Guess I'm in the wrong demographic area for a purty one. :p

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Alrighty gang, out for tonight and sweet dreams/mornin’ to one and all of y’all’s guys..!!!!!!! :joyfull:;)View attachment 359837

Oh, and ETA...
Tomorrow is Half-day Friday...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull:

Snagglepuss--I haven't seen that character in ages! :happy:

Enjoy your half-day Friday. I'm taking a whole day Friday off!! (Taking days here and there to trim down the balance in my vacation bank. Can't let that get too high or we lose it after a certain amount of time.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
although I thought Beauty and the Beast is a horrible movie and it made 1 billion

I'm with you there. Can't figure that one out either. It's main appeal is to children, and to some adults as well. Of the people I know, they either didn't like it, or more of them were just "neutral" about it. Some of these people have kids, and the kids seemed to really like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom