The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

wdwfan4ver

For those of you with kids, and who shop at this store for clothing, etc. -- I heard on the morning business report that GYMBOREE is closing down all 900 stores, and filing for bankruptcy.
I don't know this store, but there is rumors about a local retail chain called Shopko could be declaring for bankruptcy soon.

Shopko is a retail store that had 357 stores at its peak and was founded in Wisconsin. They already sold their pharmacies to Hy-Vee, Kroger and CVS. If you haven't heard of Shopko, I wouldn't be shocked. I knew about Shopko due to different parts of Wisconsin were places that I went to on Vacation growing up. Shopko as a company bought a store chain called Pamida in 2012.

Shopko as retail chain mostly opened in small towns and smaller cities. What happened to Shopko is they were losing ground on Kmart, Target and Walmart before Amazon came along.

If you wonder how small areas Shopko went, they even took over a Pamida in Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Sister Bay is a village that has less than 1,000 people. Sister Bay is way north of Sturgeon Bay in Door County. Shopko, True Value, Piggly Wiggly are the only chains with that have shops in Door County that are north of Sturgeon Bay without counting gas stations.

MySmallWorldof4

I don't know this store, but there is rumors about a local retail chain called Shopko could be declaring for bankruptcy soon.

Shopko is a retail store that had 357 stores at its peak and was founded in Wisconsin. They already sold their pharmacies to Hy-Vee, Kroger and CVS. If you haven't heard of Shopko, I wouldn't be shocked. I knew about Shopko due to different parts of Wisconsin were places that I went to on Vacation growing up. Shopko as a company bought a store chain called Pamida in 2012.

Shopko as retail chain mostly opened in small towns and smaller cities. What happened to Shopko is they were losing ground on Kmart, Target and Walmart before Amazon came along.

If you wonder how small areas Shopko went, they even took over a Pamida in Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Sister Bay is a village that has less than 1,000 people. Sister Bay is way north of Sturgeon Bay in Door County. Shopko, True Value, Piggly Wiggly are the only chains with that have shops in Door County that are north of Sturgeon Bay without counting gas stations.
Amazon and regular online shopping really has done a number on retailers. Funny, first it was Walmart and Target putting smaller stores out of business. Now you have Amazon working on destroying those that destroyed others. There is a lot less overhead when you are not running 1,000’s of stores. Plus people can comparison shop for the best prices online. My dh and I call it like what happened in Wall-E. “Buy N Large has taken over.

Goofyernmost

Thanks!!! :)
It’s not a fatal thing, in and of itself, but, in combination with other issues it could be.
It’s just really annoying, and a bit unnerving ;), when the organ responsible for pumping oxygen-enriched blood through your entire body short circuits/goes on the fritz...!!!!! :bored::cyclops:
I was diagnosed with it in my early 30’s, and was told it would get worse over time if I didn’t have heart ablation surgery.
Funny thing is, it has become less frequent over time, so I never opted for the surgery.
Even the Cardiologist I saw back then didn’t currently have me in their records anymore when the ER staff called his office...!!!!! :hilarious:
My wife had that problem. It seemed to activate in the most inopportune moments. Almost every time we went to WDW. I know the inside of Kissimmee Hospital as well as our own. The one in Celebration didn't exist yet. I don't even think Celebration existed. Eventually she had the surgery. If it is the same (palpitations) that she had, they were caused by an additional node on her heart that occasionally sent an electrical charge and threw her whole rhythm off. Sometimes it stopped on its own, sometimes it required an injection. She had those all her life, but, she would go years sometimes between events. I don't remember her having the problem when she was pregnant, delivering or even taking care of the kids in the early stages. She went about 10 years without any at all, as well. She was almost 60 before she elected for the surgery. They simply snipped off the node, and she never had another event for the rest of her life. It was amazingly non-evasive and done as an outpatient. She came home the same day and resumed her normal life from that point on.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well, spending this morning and early afternoon in the ER wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when I got up this morning... :cyclops:
Just as I was getting out of my car at the office, I felt my first sustained (more than a few seconds) SVT heart event in over a decade (last was in Dec. of ‘08) kick in. Didn’t get sprung from the ER ‘til a little before 2p.
Fortunately, I didn’t need adenosine to convert, and all tests came back negative for anything worse than the actual event.
There goes one of my 2 extra personal days the firm gave us this year...ER-day Tuesday...!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious:;):)

Oh goodness! I'm sorry you had to waste a day there but better to be safe. I hope you are feeling ok now and and your next event of this is far off in the future or better yet never.

Goofyernmost

Wrong is such a polite word, I have a few others in several languages you can feel free to borrow:angelic:
It usually does happen for a day or two every year here in NC. It happens when one of you northerners leaves a window open and the draft comes our way. I mostly blame Cananada though. Maybe if we had a wall? One with a curved top, half circle so that when those cold air masses head for the boarder, once they get there the top of the wall sends the cold right back inside Cananada where it belongs.:D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Growing up we went to Shopko frequently. But now I haven't been to a Shopko in years, their prices are usually so much higher than Walmart and even Target. I also remember shopping at Pamida. I was sorry to hear of their bankruptcy claims though.

MySmallWorldof4

It usually does happen for a day or two every year here in NC. It happens when one of you northerners leaves a window open and the draft comes our way. I mostly blame Cananada though. Maybe if we had a wall? One with a curved top, half circle so that when those cold air masses head for the boarder, once they get there the top of the wall sends the cold right back inside Cananada where it belongs.:D
:hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Now I need to decide if we want to costume, or disney bound, or just wear the Halloween tshirts I bought and call it good.

I think it might depend upon the weather. If it's really hot (and it can be in the fall on some days), you'd roast in a full costume, but if it's cooler or maybe even at night, a full costume might be fine. T-shirts as a backup are also good, too. (I've never been to this, but have read a number of TRs about the event.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh carp!!!!!!!!!! I am going to cry! I loved that store. This totally, totally sucks!!!! They had such cute clothing, and lately the prices have been so reasonable. They used to be more expensive when my older 2 were younger. Now the sales have been amazing. For years all my kids would wear was Gymboree. My older 2 have outgrown them. I will admit that the styling the last bunch of years was not the best and I have drifted to other brands because of it. My 2 younger ones are actually wearing full Gymboree outfits today. They are so cute too. Ugh, and now the vultures will ascend on these stores and get all they can for the least amount of money. If only they had shopped their before maybe the store could stay in business. I am guessing though it was bad management. Ugh and the Spring collection looks so cute actually. I wonder if they will keep the online business, or if it will go. So sad. I hate when businesses close. I feel so bad for the employees.

Sorry to hear that--I figured with the number of parents online, some probably shopped there for their kids. From what I read, it was the competition from online shopping that helped to put the nail in the coffin (so to speak ). I also feel bad for the employees who lost their jobs.

As you mentioned, it will be interesting to see if they come up with some sort of online alternative to the brick and mortar stores they're shutting down.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well, spending this morning and early afternoon in the ER wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when I got up this morning... :cyclops:
Just as I was getting out of my car at the office, I felt my first sustained (more than a few seconds) SVT heart event in over a decade (last was in Dec. of ‘08) kick in. Didn’t get sprung from the ER ‘til a little before 2p.
Fortunately, I didn’t need adenosine to convert, and all tests came back negative for anything worse than the actual event.
There goes one of my 2 extra personal days the firm gave us this year...ER-day Tuesday...!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious:;):)

OMG! Glad they let you go home, and that your tests were negative. What a scary situation. But what's worse is throwing away an extra personal day to go hang out in the ED!!! :banghead: (P.S.: Happy you're o.k.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Interesting story about Shopko, and no, I never heard of it. But it is sad to see another group of retail stores go out of business. Not liking this recent trend . . . :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom